Parasound Owners Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 180Likes
post #4561 of 4575 Old Today, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Parasound+oppo bd player+marantz receiver

Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, who just bought the A23, with the intention of connecting an Oppo player to the XLR input for stereo music, and his Marantz surround receiver via the RCA cables. When both are connected at the same time, there is a major drop of volume and quality, and we're told by the local dealer it is normal and he should disconnect one when listening to the other.

I would just like to ask if there is a another way, aside form buying a dedicated pre amp to connect both at the same time.

Thank you!

Last edited by obb2015; Today at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4575 Old Today, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
USB trigger from Oppo 105D to A21/P5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I bought the pars on digi-key and no longer use this method.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PDS1-S5-S12-S/102-2753-ND/4009677

http://www.cui.com/product/resource/pds1-s.pdf

At this point, I recommend buying the Emotiva ET-3 part and make a USB to trigger cable:

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/et-3

Digikey has these cables as well or you can hack up a standard cable you buy anywhere.

- Rich
Hello Rich,
thanks for your response, pls for some additional info:
Does it mean that you are using HA-1 for the triggering of A21/A51
How do you use Oppo105 to trigger the HA-1?
Why do you not use digi key modified solution any more, did you have any issue with sound quality or there occurred some other problems?
Does digi key modified work properly in the past with Oppo105D, I suppose?
Many Thanks and Best Regards
vienna
post #4563 of 4575 Old Today, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papak Stari View Post
Hello Rich,
thanks for your response, pls for some additional info:
Does it mean that you are using HA-1 for the triggering of A21/A51
How do you use Oppo105 to trigger the HA-1?
Why do you not use digi key modified solution any more, did you have any issue with sound quality or there occurred some other problems?
Does digi key modified work properly in the past with Oppo105D, I suppose?
Many Thanks and Best Regards
vienna
At one point, I had the 105D triggering the A51 and the A21 by making a USB to dual trigger cable.
The HA-1 trigger the A21 using standard cables.

So, when the HA-1 system was powered only A21 was trigger on.
When the 105D powered, the rear USB2 power triggered the A51 and the HA-1 on.

It turns out both A21 and A51 would trigger on the 5 volts provided by the USB port.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
For Sale: Revel Salons and Revel Studios (together or separately)

Last edited by RichB; Today at 05:40 AM.
post #4564 of 4575 Old Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by obb2015 View Post
Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, who just bought the A23, with the intention of connecting an Oppo player to the XLR input for stereo music, and his Marantz surround receiver via the RCA cables. When both are connected at the same time, there is a major drop of volume and quality, and we're told by the local dealer it is normal and he should disconnect one when listening to the other.

I would just like to ask if there is a another way, aside form buying a dedicated pre amp to connect both at the same time.

Thank you!
This is normal since each input source, when connected at the same time, will shunt the other. Your options are:
1. Disconnect the unused source.
2. Get a preamp.
3. Get/build a switch.
WAFWarrior likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4565 of 4575 Old Today, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
USB trigger from Oppo 105D to A21/P5

Quote:
At one point, I had the 105D triggering the A51 and the A21 by making a USB to dual trigger cable.
The HA-1 trigger the A21 using standard cables.

So, when the HA-1 system was powered only A21 was trigger on.
When the 105D powered, the rear USB2 power triggered the A51 and the HA-1 on.

It turns out both A21 and A51 would trigger on the 5 volts provided by the USB port.

- Rich
Hello Rich
many thanks for replay, I sent you PM
Best Regards
vienna
post #4566 of 4575 Old Today, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by obb2015 View Post
Hi,

Thank you!
The XLR inputs are quasi-balanced and if you want to get everything out of them, your friend needs to flip the Balanced/Unbalanced switch. As the dealer recommends, connect one at a time- that's the reason preamps exist. BTW- the P5 works very well for this- I have one and use an A23 with it.
post #4567 of 4575 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
The XLR inputs are quasi-balanced and if you want to get everything out of them, your friend needs to flip the Balanced/Unbalanced switch. As the dealer recommends, connect one at a time- that's the reason preamps exist. BTW- the P5 works very well for this- I have one and use an A23 with it.
thanks, he used that switch too, but it didn't help, and he'll probably get a P3, one of the shops here has it, they used it as a demo and clearing it at a discount.

he was hoping to use the oppo and marantz as pre-amps, but it won't work. Maybe getting an RCA selector, and just using both with RCA, not the XLR is a workable solution for now?
post #4568 of 4575 Old Today, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You should not connect both XLR and RCA to the same A21 channel. The is not a toggle between inputs. It optimizes the handling of the XLR input.

- Rich
I know, that is why almost every day I am switching back and forth between balanced and unbalanced sources. and it is getting to be a pain. I am looking for a passive switch that I can go from rca/xlr source inputs to the xlr inputs on the A21 but could not find one. I have an XLR switch and I just ordered some rca male to XLR male cables to see if they will work.

I have an active preamp (Marantz av8801) but it is awful for 2 channel audio.
post #4569 of 4575 Old Today, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 215
What you need to end up doing is get a dedicated 2 channel system. With all of those amps surely you can spare one for a 2 channel system. Otherwise eventually you will damage something.
post #4570 of 4575 Old Today, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
What you need to end up doing is get a dedicated 2 channel system. With all of those amps surely you can spare one for a 2 channel system. Otherwise eventually you will damage something.
The cables that I have on order are the last try - I will not be trying active or transformer converters.
post #4571 of 4575 Old Today, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

It appears that we are miscommunicating.
post #4572 of 4575 Old Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGUY2014 View Post
I know, that is why almost every day I am switching back and forth between balanced and unbalanced sources. and it is getting to be a pain. I am looking for a passive switch that I can go from rca/xlr source inputs to the xlr inputs on the A21 but could not find one. I have an XLR switch and I just ordered some rca male to XLR male cables to see if they will work.

Perhaps a JC2BP would solve all your problems?
post #4573 of 4575 Old Today, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
It appears that we are miscommunicating.
Dedicated 2 channel system is not possible. I like the way it is setup right now - everything is the way it should be other than switching between the rca and xlr inputs on the A21. As far as damaging something, if I'm feeding a low votage rca signal into the xlr inputs, what could get damaged?
post #4574 of 4575 Old Today, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Perhaps a JC2BP would solve all your problems?
JC2BP would be nice but I don't want to spend that much money just to fix the switching issue. Plus I am using Goldpoint level controls for volume which I am very very happy with. In fact it was these controls that made me never want to use an active preamp.
post #4575 of 4575 Unread Today, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGUY2014 View Post
Dedicated 2 channel system is not possible. I like the way it is setup right now - everything is the way it should be other than switching between the rca and xlr inputs on the A21. As far as damaging something, if I'm feeding a low votage rca signal into the xlr inputs, what could get damaged?
Okay, but earlier, you said this:

Quote:

Which suggests that you don't like the way it is set up now. You say it's awful for 2 channel audio. You also said earlier that you got a nasty loud ground loop at one point and didn't think anything got damaged.

In the long term, switching back and forth between balanced and unbalanced sources is not good. On top of the risk of another loud noise, those A21 toggle switches are specifically not designed for daily switching and may wear out over time. I guess you're going to have to make some compromises, decide what you can live with concerning sound quality and so forth. If I were you I'd contact Parasound directly, they are actually quite receptive to customer inquiries and your atypical set up requires someone with expertise concerning these custom cables you are considering for your solution. They'll know what you should or shouldn't do far better than most of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page