Parasound Owners Thread - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 185Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4621 of 4629 Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post
My Kef R900's are biwireable and noticed the twin outputs on the back of the JC1 - would this configuration Improve the sound anymore or is it just a Gimmick?
There is a large thread (142 replies) discussing the merits of biwiring at the Speaker Asylum, including technical analyses of why it should be efficacious. Of course there are those who claim it's a gimmick. I use a pair of Clear Day Double Shotgun cables to each of my KEF 107/2s, and the double speaker lugs on the JC 1 makes that easy. But then I've never tried the 107/2s in other than a biwired mode. For reasons I've yet to explore, biwiring to my KF R600C seems to attenuate the HF, leading me to wonder if the control (seen as a knob) that sets the speaker into single wire or biwire mode might be defective or whether I'm just not setting it correctly. For now, the center speaker is connected with a pair of Shotguns, but the knob is turned to single wire. Before spending a lot on cables, you might try 4 strands of heavy gauge zip cord -- you don't need spades or bananas.

db
dbphd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4622 of 4629 Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM
nek
Senior Member
 
nek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham United Kingdom
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
There is a large thread (142 replies) discussing the merits of biwiring at the Speaker Asylum, including technical analyses of why it should be efficacious. Of course there are those who claim it's a gimmick. I use a pair of Clear Day Double Shotgun cables to each of my KEF 107/2s, and the double speaker lugs on the JC 1 makes that easy. But then I've never tried the 107/2s in other than a biwired mode. For reasons I've yet to explore, biwiring to my KF R600C seems to attenuate the HF, leading me to wonder if the control (seen as a knob) that sets the speaker into single wire or biwire mode might be defective or whether I'm just not setting it correctly. For now, the center speaker is connected with a pair of Shotguns, but the knob is turned to single wire. Before spending a lot on cables, you might try 4 strands of heavy gauge zip cord -- you don't need spades or bananas.

db
I will have a go at this and report back - I actually have some biwire cables somewhere
nek is offline  
post #4623 of 4629 Old 07-30-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gene9p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
just listed my A52 here..bought an A21
gene9p is offline  
post #4624 of 4629 Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
just listed my A52 here..bought an A21
What are you going to use to drive the other 3 channels?
artur9 is offline  
post #4625 of 4629 Old 07-31-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gene9p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
What are you going to use to drive the other 3 channels?
going back to 2 channel....I rarely used surround last few years. I have a JC2 pre amp and a Marantz 8001 processor that I will sell in time along with the surround and center speakers.
slong115 likes this.
gene9p is offline  
post #4626 of 4629 Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A21 to drive KEF LS50s

I've been using a Proceed Amp 2 to drive a pair of LS50s in a simple setup in which the source is an Oppo 95. I tried an A23 in this setup, prefer the sound with the Amp 2, but the audio trigger of Parasound amps is appealing -- I too often forget to turn the Amp 2 to standby. I suspect an A21 might even sound superior to the Amp 2 and provide the audio trigger. Are A21 owners generally pleased with them?

My main setup uses a JC 2 BP preamp, JC 1s for LCR, and A23s for surround and rear. Stereo with pair of JC 1s driving a pair of KEF Reference 107/2s is awesome. (A Cary Cinema 12 supplements the JC 2 for center, surround, and rear channels.)

db
dbphd is offline  
post #4627 of 4629 Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I''ve heard that the one weakness for the LS50 can be brightness for some people. I've got the Opp 95, and it can be bright as well, so I'm betting the Proceed amp has a warmer sound. I've also got the A21 and its a gem of an amp. It would reach the limits of the LS50's pretty quickly if you wanted to crank it up, but you're probably aware of that!
audio4life is offline  
post #4628 of 4629 Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I''ve heard that the one weakness for the LS50 can be brightness for some people. I've got the Opp 95, and it can be bright as well, so I'm betting the Proceed amp has a warmer sound. I've also got the A21 and its a gem of an amp. It would reach the limits of the LS50's pretty quickly if you wanted to crank it up, but you're probably aware of that!
I listen at moderate levels. The KEF 107/2s have a sensitivity rating of 90 dB, but the 800 watts/channel JC 1s make them sing in a way the 400 watts/channel Proceed HPA 3 (three monoblock Levinson amps in an industrial case) doesn't. Both sound very good with the 107/2s, but the JC 1s sound better and provide substantially more LF extension, e.g. pedal notes of pipe organs pour forth with greater authority. I was surprised. So it's not just watts are watts, to use the bit analogy.

Re the LS50s: I've let aesthetics drive placement of the speakers which I suspect is now less than ideal. When we rearrange the living room, the speakers may be on a wall along with a 70" wall-mounted monitor, in which case I can attend to their placement for sound as well as aesthetics.

db
dbphd is offline  
post #4629 of 4629 Old Today, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Guys,

I have the A21 and P5 combo along with the LS50. I am really thinking hard about the JC2 with home theatre bypass. What would be a good DAC to go with if I move to the JC2?

Down the road, I like to move the LS50 them to office desk duty and get full range speakers for my parasound setup.
tractng is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off