Parasound Owners Thread - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 185Likes

post #4651 of 4656 Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
Would a whole house surge protector limit current just like a regular surge protector? Just wondering.
I suspect any issues related to any sort of current limiting from a "regular surge protector" have nothing to do with the surge protection itself but are related to the power conditioning that always seems to be included along with the surge protection. Supposedly the higher end surge protectors from companies like SurgeX don't have such issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4656 Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I suspect any issues related to any sort of current limiting from a "regular surge protector" have nothing to do with the surge protection itself but are related to the power conditioning that always seems to be included along with the surge protection. Supposedly the higher end surge protectors from companies like SurgeX don't have such issues.
I have a surgex 315 which is a combo surge protector/ power conditioner. Advertised as used at Carnegie Hall.
Parasound rep did not know that model but said they had problems with MOV types like furhman and Panamax. At this point the A51 is plugged directly in the wall.
post #4653 of 4656 Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Something like this high end unit works well as well (uses moving mode surge protection rather than MOVs).

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYBIT15
post #4654 of 4656 Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
recomend a para system?
post #4655 of 4656 Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm currently running a Schiit Yggrdasil > Schiit Mjolnir > Parasound A23 > KEF LS50 + SVS SB1000. The Mjolnir is only being used as a preamp at this point -- I no longer use the headphone amp.

I'm considering replacing the Mjolnir with a P5, though I don't need the input switching -- the single XLR input is the only input I need. I'm considering the P5 for two reasons -- first, the Mjolnir gets quite warm and in the summer, heats up my room quite a bit. The second reason is for the bass management in the P5. Currently, I have the sub wired in parallel with the speakers, using the sub's built-in crossover. I'd like to use the crossover in the P5 instead, along with its sub level output.

Is the P5 a true balanced topology internally or does it sum the balanced input? Any other advice on this potential change?

Thanks!

Sony XBR65x850B
Marantz SR6007 > Parasound A52 > Klipsch RP-250F, RP-250C, RS-42ii, RP-140SA
Oppo 103, Tivo Roamio, Schiit Gungnir, Rega RP-40 w/ 2M Black > Musical Fidelity M1LPS
post #4656 of 4656 Old Today, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The P5 is not balanced.

However, its a great preamp for the price and easy to integrate subs with mains and sub filters.

I upgraded mine due to the itch, but you have to go high up in price to beat it I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp