Parasound Owners Thread - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 333Likes

post #4651 of 5187 Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
Would a whole house surge protector limit current just like a regular surge protector? Just wondering.
I suspect any issues related to any sort of current limiting from a "regular surge protector" have nothing to do with the surge protection itself but are related to the power conditioning that always seems to be included along with the surge protection. Supposedly the higher end surge protectors from companies like SurgeX don't have such issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 5187 Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I suspect any issues related to any sort of current limiting from a "regular surge protector" have nothing to do with the surge protection itself but are related to the power conditioning that always seems to be included along with the surge protection. Supposedly the higher end surge protectors from companies like SurgeX don't have such issues.
I have a surgex 315 which is a combo surge protector/ power conditioner. Advertised as used at Carnegie Hall.
Parasound rep did not know that model but said they had problems with MOV types like furhman and Panamax. At this point the A51 is plugged directly in the wall.
post #4653 of 5187 Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Something like this high end unit works well as well (uses moving mode surge protection rather than MOVs).

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYBIT15
post #4654 of 5187 Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
recomend a para system?
post #4655 of 5187 Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm currently running a Schiit Yggrdasil > Schiit Mjolnir > Parasound A23 > KEF LS50 + SVS SB1000. The Mjolnir is only being used as a preamp at this point -- I no longer use the headphone amp.

I'm considering replacing the Mjolnir with a P5, though I don't need the input switching -- the single XLR input is the only input I need. I'm considering the P5 for two reasons -- first, the Mjolnir gets quite warm and in the summer, heats up my room quite a bit. The second reason is for the bass management in the P5. Currently, I have the sub wired in parallel with the speakers, using the sub's built-in crossover. I'd like to use the crossover in the P5 instead, along with its sub level output.

Is the P5 a true balanced topology internally or does it sum the balanced input? Any other advice on this potential change?

Thanks!

Sony XBR65x850B
Marantz SR6007 > Parasound A52 > Klipsch RP-250F, RP-250C, RS-42ii, RP-140SA
Oppo 103, Tivo Roamio, Schiit Gungnir, Rega RP-40 w/ 2M Black > Musical Fidelity M1LPS
post #4656 of 5187 Old 08-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The P5 is not balanced.

However, its a great preamp for the price and easy to integrate subs with mains and sub filters.

I upgraded mine due to the itch, but you have to go high up in price to beat it I think.
TivoUser likes this.
post #4657 of 5187 Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
questions about parasound focus

it seems like parasound has a huge gap with their current offerings, especially for anyone who doesn't want or need a larger amp like the a51 but wants something a little nicer than their classic models. i'd like to upgrade my older parasound processor and amp to a 7.1 surround system but i don't listen to anything near thx levels so a 250 watt per channel a51 would be overkill for me. it seems like parasound would like to focus on the high end market (high end to me!) and almost abandoned the home theater market.

does anyone have an opinion on the direction that they think parasound is headed?
post #4658 of 5187 Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I don't know about Parasound's focus, but it seems they offer a wide array of offerings. I have six of their amps: 3 JC 1s, an A 21, and two A 23s. I also have a JC 2 preamp and JC 3 phono stage; Parasound offers a much less expensive preamp that incorporates a phono stage. I think an A 31 and a pair of A 23s would work well for a 7.1 system, assuming the sub has its own amp. I find the audio trigger useful for a setup in which not all channels are active all the time.

I use 2 of the JC 1 mono blocks to drive a pair of KEF 107.2s that are rated a 90 dB sensitivity. I listen at moderate levels, yet those 800 watt@4Ω amps really make a difference in the sound, so I would too quickly discount what seems to be excess power.

db
post #4659 of 5187 Old 09-10-2015, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I don't know about Parasound's focus, but it seems they offer a wide array of offerings. I have six of their amps: 3 JC 1s, an A 21, and two A 23s. I also have a JC 2 preamp and JC 3 phono stage; Parasound offers a much less expensive preamp that incorporates a phono stage. I think an A 31 and a pair of A 23s would work well for a 7.1 system, assuming the sub has its own amp. I find the audio trigger useful for a setup in which not all channels are active all the time.

I use 2 of the JC 1 mono blocks to drive a pair of KEF 107.2s that are rated a 90 dB sensitivity. I listen at moderate levels, yet those 800 watt@4Ω amps really make a difference in the sound, so I would too quickly discount what seems to be excess power.

db

I agree in all of this, I think they have a great variety of products from entry level to mid/hi-fi and I find the Price vs. Performance superb for their Halo series.
If budget was a concern, i'd go used for some halo gear. Will last forever, unless you are smitten by the upgradebug.

Their service is excellent too.
post #4660 of 5187 Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin02 View Post
it seems like parasound has a huge gap with their current offerings, especially for anyone who doesn't want or need a larger amp like the a51 but wants something a little nicer than their classic models. i'd like to upgrade my older parasound processor and amp to a 7.1 surround system but i don't listen to anything near thx levels so a 250 watt per channel a51 would be overkill for me. it seems like parasound would like to focus on the high end market (high end to me!) and almost abandoned the home theater market.

does anyone have an opinion on the direction that they think parasound is headed?

What specifically are you looking for in an amplifier? How many channels, what type of power capabilities, I/O etc.? We are always open to input from end users.

Thanks!

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #4661 of 5187 Old 09-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post
What specifically are you looking for in an amplifier? How many channels, what type of power capabilities, I/O etc.? We are always open to input from end users.

Thanks!

How about a P7 like 7.2 product with:

- 6+ HDMI inputs (No video processing),
- HD Audio decoding
- Analog bass management (P7)
- Halo Integrated ESS DACs

(Yes, I know how Parasound feels about HDMI).

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by RichB; 09-12-2015 at 04:08 PM.
post #4662 of 5187 Old 09-10-2015, 08:32 PM

Liked: 10
i'd in the process of turning my 5.1 system into a 7.1 system. i already have a pair of b&w 805s and the htm center channel that are powered by a hca 1206 that might be on its last legs and an avc 2500u for my processor. i'm trying to find a pair of used 803s that i can use as the main speakers and use the 805's for the rear channel, a pair of ds7's for the side channel . i have to upgrade the processor also but my main concern for right now is the 803's and what to power them with. i could probably get away with using parasound's new classic amp for the side and rear channels but i kind of want to use the same line of amps for the entire system.

my thought is to use a a31 for the l/c/r speakers and two a23's for the side and rear channel. the prooblem is the tightwad in me wouldn't mind using a five channel and two channel new classic amp since i rarely listen to anything above slightly moderate levels but new classic gear is harder to find.
post #4663 of 5187 Old 09-11-2015, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin02 View Post
my thought is to use a a31 for the l/c/r speakers and two a23's for the side and rear channel. the prooblem is the tightwad in me wouldn't mind using a five channel and two channel new classic amp since i rarely listen to anything above slightly moderate levels but new classic gear is harder to find.
I'd be surprised if an A 31 and two A 23s cost more than an A 51. I use A 23s for side and rear channels, JC 1s for LCR. I find the A 23s completely adequate for surround.

db
post #4664 of 5187 Old 09-12-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post

Thanks!
I would like 7.1 pure analogue preamp with no audio or video processing, no DAC and with simple HDMI switch.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #4665 of 5187 Old 09-12-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I would like 7.1 pure analogue preamp with no audio or video processing, no DAC and with simple HDMI switch.
??? Pure analog and no DAC? What would it need with an HDMI switch?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4666 of 5187 Old 09-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would suggest an AV Separate with a AV Pre Video pure HDMI processing and a AV Pre Audio pure Audio processing where the Pre Video process the hdmi signal and feed all audio to the Pre Audio and output HDMI 1 Master and 2 Slave to TV and monitor. Both units comminicate together using RJ45 links and can be controlled together using 1 remote if paired.

The AV Pre Video can be upgraded for firmware and hardware over time so as the AV Pre Audio so both products can always be up to date.

Leave the digital, digital and the analog, analog in separate chassis.

Last edited by Hifi4Hobby; 09-12-2015 at 09:30 PM.
post #4667 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi4Hobby View Post
I would suggest an AV Separate with a AV Pre Video pure HDMI processing and a AV Pre Audio pure Audio processing where the Pre Video process the hdmi signal and feed all audio to the Pre Audio and output HDMI 1 Master and 2 Slave to TV and monitor. Both units comminicate together using RJ45 links and can be controlled together using 1 remote if paired.

The AV Pre Video can be upgraded for firmware and hardware over time so as the AV Pre Audio so both products can always be up to date.

Leave the digital, digital and the analog, analog in separate chassis.
So you are putting the DACs in the "AV Pre Video pure HDMI processing" so that the "AV Pre Audio pure Audio processing" can be all analog? I cannot see any company doing that now or in the future because digital is part of audio these days.

1. I can come fairly close to that using a server/streamer (with a CD/BD drive) feeding video via HDMI to a prepro/display and audio via USB to my DAC and analog preamp/amp/speakers.

2. Meridian does something similar with their HD621 that splits (digital) audio from video. I use that with their 861 digital audio processor.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4668 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 08:03 AM

The DACs can be in the AV Pre Audio since DACs dont get absolete fast like HDMI. The DACs can be on a module that can be swapped out from the AV Pre Audio to keep up with the latest DACs standard if necessary but judging from the way DACs chip moving these days IMHO when that is due for a change, its time for Parasound to release an new v2 or V3 or Vx version to cope with the newer AV Pre Video processor. Plus, DACs is still audio not video so it should go into the AV Pre Audio Processor.

I would throw in some good firmwares to control trigger delays & timers, profiles to save different settings so users can power up the device using different profiles for different ocassion..such as Audio Only with DACs section off, AV Full Functions with PEQ (this part can JV with some aftermarket room correction devices so to handle each individual channels separately, eg. Anti Mode 2.0 ? 5 units for each fronts, centres, surrounds and subs, linked using the triggers and RJ45s).

Not to forget is to make it as future proof as possible perhaps each of the units esp the AV Pre Audio should have a DOT Matrix/TFT/Capacitive Touch Screen with simple buttons on the front so customization and upgrades over time is much more flexible and easy.

Of course this idea can be nightmares for designers for audio reproduction. So far we never seen one manufacturer successfully pulled it off.

Last edited by Hifi4Hobby; 09-13-2015 at 08:10 AM.
post #4669 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 08:27 AM

I owned the JC2bp driving pairs of A21s for audio and video coupled with AV8801. I personally find though the JC2bp is superb on its value and audio reproduction its time for Parasound to update it giving each of the input the choice of XLR or RCA with at least 6 inputs of these and 2 output of the same one for main and another for subwoofers with FIXED/Variable selection. For a modern setup, the triggers need to be at least 6 outputs with ideally 8 with comprehensive delays, manuals, auto, timers for both ON/OFF so it can control full arrays of equipment from AV Processor to DACs, CDP, BDP, Amps, PEQ Processor and so forth.

As for the amplifiers perhaps higher outputs will match those of todays content. Maybe a 600w JC1s and 350w A21s sounds cooler though they wont run any cooler The cooling fins can be enhanced by using S shape fins to increase the cooling areas to accomodate the added heat and/or new M shape will do fine too. Do also take the opportunity to enhance the front lighting especially the power button lights from RED as standby and BLUE as on while leaving the warning lights to the Parasound Logo or other LEDs. The current one is pretty confusing at times. For the upgrades, do use XLR socket with clip so they dont get pulled out accidentally, esp true for A21. Also some nice speaker binding post from WBT or Furutech will be nice

Leave the fuse holder out and use resettable breaker which can be doubled as hard power button if its sensible to do so. As for the of rest of the products as i dont own them from day to day use i wont be able to comment further unless Parasound is kind enough to send me demo units for elaboration. Perhaps a new CD transport with DVD and bluray capacity to send both video or audio for the AV Pre Video and Audio will be nice?

Last edited by Hifi4Hobby; 09-13-2015 at 08:29 AM.
post #4670 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
??? Pure analog and no DAC? What would it need with an HDMI switch?
Sorry. What I wanted to say is a preamp with high end analogue section and HDMI switch with some inexpensive DAC (like in receiver). And plus HDMI standby passthrough. No processing like Audissey. The goal is to make it affordable without sacrificing audio quality for analogue inputs. You normally have only one or two high end sources (like OPPO-105, turntable) and if you already have high end DAC - you do not need to pay for another one which you will not use. HDMI switch is for low quality digital sources sources like cable TV and mobile devices. Emotiva made something like that called UMC-200 http://hometheaterreview.com/emotiva...eamp-reviewed/. Not sure about its analogue section though.

post #4671 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry. What I wanted to say is a preamp with high end analogue section and HDMI switch with some inexpensive DAC (like in receiver). And plus HDMI standby passthrough. No processing like Audissey. The goal is to make it affordable without sacrificing audio quality for analogue inputs. You normally have only one or two high end sources (like OPPO-105, turntable) and if you already have high end DAC - you do not need to pay for another one which you will not use. HDMI switch is for low quality digital sources sources like cable TV and mobile devices. Emotiva made something like that called UMC-200 http://hometheaterreview.com/emotiva...eamp-reviewed/. Not sure about its analogue section though.
Actually if OPPO just added HDMI standby passthrough to 105 it would solve the problem because I already use OPPO-105 as a preamp. OPPO already have a couple of HDMI inputs - one is for cable or whatever and the second one is for mobile devices like phones. The problem I have is that if I attach cable box to OPPO and turn off OPPO (standby) - cable box disconnects from TV.

post #4672 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Bryston SP3.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4673 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Bryston SP3.
Sounds tempting but overpriced for my budget - it costs more than the whole my audio/video system including A21 which I am planning to add to drive my front speakers and other upgrades. Probably it would suit me more to get HDMI switch with two HDMI outs one attached to OPPO-105 aux HDMI input and another directly to TV. The beauty of Parasound is that it is a hi end and the same time is affordable. And it is pretty close in SF and has excellent support.

post #4674 of 5187 Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds tempting but overpriced for my budget - it costs more than the whole my audio/video system including A21 which I am planning to add to drive my front speakers and other upgrades. Probably it would suit me more to get HDMI switch with two HDMI outs one attached to OPPO-105 aux HDMI input and another directly to TV. The beauty of Parasound is that it is a hi end and the same time is affordable. And it is pretty close in SF and has excellent support.
Classe Sigma SSP @ 5K might be the cheapest offering that's close to what you are asking for. Basically started a quality 2-channel preamp. Anthem AVM60 should be a bit less --has digital processing, but should still have quality analog direct.

It sounds like a receiver/processor is being described in the most obtuse way possible. I'd be very surprised if Parasound wants to get back into the SSP game. You can turn many features off. Many have analog bypass. Offerings from Bryston or Classe have no video processing, but are quite expensive.

I don't have a problem with a system being modular internally, but the manufactures that tout this like it's a killer external consumer feature are full of themselves. It's still $1000 > to have it worked on or add a basic feature that should be included. The layouts of most of those designs I find severally compromised.
post #4675 of 5187 Old 09-14-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
I have a surgex 315 which is a combo surge protector/ power conditioner. Advertised as used at Carnegie Hall.
Parasound rep did not know that model but said they had problems with MOV types like furhman and Panamax. At this point the A51 is plugged directly in the wall.
I don't know what kinds of problems they have with Furman and Panamax and Parasound amps, but I installed a Panamax in my rack that has a Parasound A23 and it has caused zero problems, although they may be referring to the large amplifiers drawing lots of current and hitting the limits of the power device when they're driving it hard. FWIW, I did a system with a Furman ELite 15PFi and it has a Panasonic Plasma TV, Denon AVR, Cable box, AppleTV, Denon stereo receiver, ReQuest music server, BD player, Sony LaserDisc, Dynaudio Sub250 and McIntosh power amp- I have the whole wall where the equipment is located wired through the Furman. Zero problems since early 2007.

BTW- I seriously doubt Carnegie Hall is using a consumer-level power protector. Seriously. It's just not done and that model is only good for 15Amperes. Maybe they have one in an office but trust me, it's not on the FOH system.
post #4676 of 5187 Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
No- whole house protection is parallel to the electrical service and only activates when the voltage rises sufficiently for it to react.
post #4677 of 5187 Old 09-15-2015, 04:24 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
No- whole house protection is parallel to the electrical service and only activates when the voltage rises sufficiently for it to react.
Right, I was talking about the "regular" surge protectors that one would put into their equipment rack and plug into the wall, which almost always include a lot more than just surge protection. FWIW, I've got my entire system hooked up to several "regular" Panamax surge protectors, one of which is a 20 amp model for the amps, and don't notice any issues with the sound.
post #4678 of 5187 Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
I agree in all of this, I think they have a great variety of products from entry level to mid/hi-fi and I find the Price vs. Performance superb for their Halo series.
If budget was a concern, i'd go used for some halo gear. Will last forever, unless you are smitten by the upgradebug.

Their service is excellent too.

Agreed. I called when I had the P5 and asked about the HT Bypass. The guy who helped me was kind and new his stuff.
post #4679 of 5187 Old 09-16-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Interested in selling your Parasound amp?

Hi guys - I'm building a new room and looking to purchase a used Parasound A51, A31, A21 and/or A23, or some combination thereof. If you own any of these units in great physical and working condition and are interested in selling, please send me a PM with the details including asking price. Thanks!
post #4680 of 5187 Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

A21 & KEF LS50s

I've been using balanced output from an Oppo 105 to a Parasound A 21 driving a pair of KEF LS50s for audio with a new 65" wall-mounted TV. DirecTV comes into the Oppo via HDMI. The A 21 & LS50s image so well dialog seems to come from the screen. Last night, I listened carefully to jazz and baroque music with this setup. The sound with the A 21 driving the LS50s really is superb. I could be quite content with this combination if I had to downsize. At an MSRP of just over $5K, it's one hell of a setup. Of course, I didn't pay MSRP. The TV was an additional $2.5K.

Happy camper,
db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page