Parasound Owners Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 307Likes
post #5071 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post
You should look for an LC2. It has a dedicated midrange driver which is important for a center.
Ugh. I've been recommended that and would prefer that, but it just doesn't fit any scenario setup I can imagine. Above TV mount won't work and have to put my TV too low to make it work, plus putting it below would require at least another $400 to get 2 side by side salamander entertainment racks I would have to customize, and heavily customize if LC2, regardless of LC1 or LC2. Also, power ratings are the same as LC1 so question and advice is still not addressed. Dedicated rack for components is not an option at the moment. Live in an apartment and my 2 hsu subs are already in compromised positions.

Last edited by pukemon; Yesterday at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Ugh. I've been recommended that and would prefer that, but it just doesn't fit any scenario setup I can imagine. Above TV mount won't work and have to put my TV too low to make it work, plus putting it below would require at least another $400 to get 2 side by side salamander entertainment racks I would have to customize, and heavily customize if LC2, regardless of LC1 or LC2. Also, power ratings are the same as LC1 so question and advice is still not addressed. Dedicated rack for components is not an option at the moment. Live in an apartment and my 2 his subs are already in compromised positions.
I have a Revel C20 and Voice2 in systems with both mounted above the monitor. Unfortunately, the Omnimounts are no longer available. I would still Rube Goldberg something together to make that happen if I had to do it again.

Concerning powering the JBLs with th A31, there is not problem there. The models I looked at were spec'ed at 75 watts continuous and 150 watts max. The amp will not be the limiting factor.

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
post #5073 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I have a Revel C20 and Voice2 in systems with both mounted above the monitor. Unfortunately, the Omnimounts are no longer available. I would still Rube Goldberg something together to make that happen if I had to do it again.

Concerning powering the JBLs with th A31, there is not problem there. The models I looked at were spec'ed at 75 watts continuous and 150 watts max. The amp will not be the limiting factor.

- Rich
Could you elaborate on the amp not being the limiting factor please. I emailed JBL and they said don't do it. Everybody and their mama said I'll be fine if I don't play at reference level which I won't.
post #5074 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Could you elaborate on the amp not being the limiting factor please. I emailed JBL and they said don't do it. Everybody and their mama said I'll be fine if I don't play at reference level which I won't.

For which speaker was this recommendation made and was the issue too little or too much power?

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
post #5075 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
For which speaker was this recommendation made and was the issue too little or too much power?

- Rich
The LC1 and the LC2, specifically. The person who responded from JBL basically said no. No ifs or whys.

From my understanding from abs over the years it should be OK as long as I don't drive these speakers at reference levels. My Polk Audio CS20 is rated 20-150w recommended power iirc. Haven't had any problems. My Polk Audio Monitor 70 and 60 I believe are rated for 250w and 200w respectively, iirc. No problems there either.

I have played them with my onkyo 3009 bottomed out on volume but I know damn well the 3009 wasnt pushing them close to their limits. I've played with the volume bottomed out for a few seconds on a couple scenes when I knew both my neighbors weren't home. Still no problems. But that was just for the very dynamic scene and more to see how my hsu subwoofers performed.

I would believe that the JBL are at least a couple of notches better in quality all around but I don't know how conservative they are with rating the speakers. I would guess the EMPTEKs are at least one notch better too, but then we are talking 6ohms and more power over recommended specs. Whatever I buy I am just concerned about blowing any speaker out even though I know I am pushing clean power and enough. Just really more concerned about the JBLs because they are discontinued and no more parts available.

I know the amps are probably pushing less than 100w during a movie overall, but what about very dynamic action movies where the capacity of the amp is called upon? Even though I'm guessing I'll probably be listening at about -5dB less with JBLs even though sensitivity is about the same as current speakers. My A31 really only gets warm when listening to music and I'm listening @ -10 to -20dB less than movies depending on the recording, the music and the mood I am in.

Just want reassurance really. I don't feel my A31 is getting the justice it deserves with the midrange budget middle of the road speakers I have. They're fine and do the job well. But I've heard some Paradigms and JBLs that blew me away with lesser receivers and better amps with just the imaging and soundstage alone. My listening space is less than ideal and I know that plays a tremendous part but I still feel I will get something for my money even with the less than ideal conditions. Plus the JBL L series and EMPTEKs both look better than current speakers, though the JBL Ls look very similar with the grills on.

Like I said I just want reassurance because I probably plan on buying an A21 or A51 in the future. Not concerned about Atmos or DTS:X really. Without using an spl meter or better room correction software than audyssey XT32, I've just used master and commander and other good reference movies to setup position of my speakers before calibrating. And it has served me well. Now I want nicer speakers but don't want to blow them up.
post #5076 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
If you switch the JC 1s to low bias it will reduce heat very substantially and probably still provide sufficient Class A amplification for your needs.

They are amazing amps. I had a literal jaw dropping experience when I played a recording of the Saint-Seans 8th symphony, the organ symphony, using the JC 1s to drive my KEF Reference 107/2s.
I might give that a try if it becomes an issue, I was just surprised how much they heated the room! They are quite amazing amps they drive my Dynaudio Confidence C4's beautifully!
post #5077 of 5079 Unread Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Are you running 8/6/4 ohm speakers? Music or movies? Mine usually only get warm long music sessions with 8 ohm speakers. Movies they rarely get noticeably warm.
I use them for everything but the majority is music. They are 4 ohm.
post #5078 of 5079 Unread Today, 06:57 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
The LC1 and the LC2, specifically. The person who responded from JBL basically said no. No ifs or whys.

From my understanding from abs over the years it should be OK as long as I don't drive these speakers at reference levels. My Polk Audio CS20 is rated 20-150w recommended power iirc. Haven't had any problems. My Polk Audio Monitor 70 and 60 I believe are rated for 250w and 200w respectively, iirc. No problems there either.

Speakers can have hard power and mechanical limitations. JBL has recommended power rating and the Ax1's are clearly more powerful than recommended. There is never a problem if you don't overdrive them. Power reserves for peaks are not a problem.

However, if you use these with the LC1's, if you AVR/Processor support a maximum volume level, set it to avoid accidents. Then, you should be fine.

- Rich

post #5079 of 5079 Unread Today, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post
You should look for an LC2. It has a dedicated midrange driver which is important for a center.
Ugh. I've been recommended that and would prefer that, but it just doesn't fit any scenario setup I can imagine. Above TV mount won't work and have to put my TV too low to make it work, plus putting it below would require at least another $400 to get 2 side by side salamander entertainment racks I would have to customize, and heavily customize if LC2, regardless of LC1 or LC2. Also, power ratings are the same as LC1 so question and advice is still not addressed. Dedicated rack for components is not an option at the moment. Live in an apartment and my 2 hsu subs are already in compromised positions.
Do the LCRs have internal crossover networks or do the need DSP Crown Amps or such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp