Parasound Owners Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 329Likes

post #5131 of 5157 Old 08-19-2016, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I do not think it is bright but it sounds lean to me. Accurate but lean. Every other amp I've heard in my system has had a bit more grunt.

This is with the A52. That lean character is just about perfect for movies, if you ask me, because movies tend to over do it in the bass.

The A52 is like the A23. Where it may sound lean which I can sort of get as i had one I believe the larger amps do not. My experience is with the A31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5157 Old 08-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Would the 8802 perform
Better than the p5 for music ? Deciding if I should do a oppo ,p5 combo with my marantz 7008 , or buy a marantz8802 and use the dacs in that
post #5133 of 5157 Old 08-20-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
Would the 8802 perform
Better than the p5 for music ? Deciding if I should do a oppo ,p5 combo with my marantz 7008 , or buy a marantz8802 and use the dacs in that
I posted in the 8802 thread as well but will note that I my previous setup was an Oppo 105 with an 8801 and got better performance out of the 8802 and that was even running the Oppo Direct to my Halo A21.
post #5134 of 5157 Old 08-20-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
P5 users: any advice with the situation below?

Quote:
Has anyone experienced poor channel matching with their P5? I've had one for a while (5mo) and noticed that channel matching is not very good at lower volumes and still not perfect at moderate to higher volumes. The L channel is always slightly louder. I've tried it with different speakers and swapping the speakers from L to R with the same results. I have a feeling it is the volume pot design as I've read some similar accounts.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5135 of 5157 Old 08-20-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, looking to upgrade a couple components in my HT setup in the coming year. Has anyone heard of any new products coming out from Parasound this year such as AV controller or Blu ray player? I know they cancelled production of a receiver model years back, just checking to see if anyone has heard anything new?
post #5136 of 5157 Old 08-21-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwats View Post
Hey guys, looking to upgrade a couple components in my HT setup in the coming year. Has anyone heard of any new products coming out from Parasound this year such as AV controller or Blu ray player? I know they cancelled production of a receiver model years back, just checking to see if anyone has heard anything new?
Nope. During a recent 3 hour dinner/discussion with Richard Schramm, that topic never came up.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5137 of 5157 Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Nope. During a recent 3 hour dinner/discussion with Richard Schramm, that topic never came up.
Kal, what did come up?
post #5138 of 5157 Old 08-21-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Kal, what did come up?
Just a lot of gab between two old friends who don't often get such an opportunity. A/V-wise, not much, although I did ask and report about his position on HDMI because someone asked me to do s..

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5139 of 5157 Old 08-21-2016, 04:01 PM

Liked: 1
Hello everybody!!! I need a 3 or 5 channel amp to power my speakers. As of right now this is what i have:

Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2's
Ascend Acoustic Horizon Center (with RAAL tweeter)

I plan to get the Sierra Satellites (when they come out) and Rythmik F15 sub.

I'm using Yamaha aventage rxa-2040 right now.

Would a Parasound Halo A52 be a good match? What other options should i be looking at?

What about Parasound HCA-2003A? I'm seeing those used around $600.

My budget would be $1500 max. I've seen a few of those A52's used in that price range.

Thanks you!!!!

Last edited by kyzer soze; 08-22-2016 at 11:58 AM.
post #5140 of 5157 Old 08-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I can assure you that there will not be a new AV controller from Parasound. Richard can give you the lengthy answer as to why if you want to ask him. I would say the same thing about a Blu-ray player.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #5141 of 5157 Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post
I can assure you that there will not be a new AV controller from Parasound. Richard can give you the lengthy answer as to why if you want to ask him. I would say the same thing about a Blu-ray player.
My guess is that they're too much of an ever-changing commodity product? Amps and stereo preamps lean towards folks who really appreciate sound quality, primarily with music, and doubly appreciate the value that Parasound products can offer in that regard.

I'd love to see the GMAS return.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #5142 of 5157 Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the information. Parasound has such a great reputation for quality i was just looking at them first to invest my money in. Currently have a Integra DHC 80.3 paired with a Parasound HCA 2205a. Coming months I should be adding another amplifier a A51 and upgrading my AV controller, any advice on other good AV controllers that pair well with Parasound's A51. No real complaints with the Integra just want some opinions on what else is out there and experience with them???
Thanks.
post #5143 of 5157 Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
No real complaints with the Integra just want some opinions on what else is out there and experience with them
Of course there is the Marantz 8802, or the much more expensive Bryston SP3 or Classe SSP800, both of which have reputations for excellent sonics. I'm using an SP3, and can vouch for its excellent sonics. The are several used SSP800s listed in the $4K range. The Bryston and Classe processors will not have all the bells and whistles your Integra or a Marantz has, being aimed instead at the more "purist" market -- most notably absent is acoustic room correction. If excellent stereo sound is a high priority, then either the SP3 or SSP800 will not disappoint.

db
post #5144 of 5157 Old 08-24-2016, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey all,

I had an A23 back in '06 driving a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2 speakers. I sold it and moved into tube gear. I got out of the hobby in '08 and got back into the hobby late in 2014.

I've gone through a variety of gear and I've settled on a P5 for my preamp duties. I had one in black and sold it to get one in silver to match the amp I'm using.

I did an A/B between the A23 I picked up recently and the amp in my sig and I preferred the amp in my sig. Between the time I sold the black P5 & purchased the silver P5, I used the AVR as a pre / pro. I connected my SONOS to the coaxial digital input on the AVR. It didn't sound "bad" but I thought the P5 sounded better. After getting the silver P5 my assumption was correct, to my ears, in that connecting the SONOS to the internal DAC on the P5 sounds better than the internal DAC on the AVR.

I will have to compare the amplifiers again to be sure I'm making the right choice before I sell one of them.
post #5145 of 5157 Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
So I had to order this and give it a try. It showed up earlier today and I have played it a couple times and there are some crayz low frequencies that I can't really hear, but whoa can you FEEL them!
I played the 3rd symphony on this disc first using my Ayre C-5xeMP, Parasound JC 2 BP preamp, JC 1 amps, and KEF Reference 107/2s. The organ pedal notes are indeed amazing. Then I played the same tracks using my Esoteric SA-60, Bryston SP3 processor with front LR passed through the JC 2 BP to the JC 1 amps and the KEF 107/2s now supplemented with a 40 Hz crossover to a pair of Velodyne HGS-15s and SMS-1 that provides LF acoustic room correction. The HGS-15s can shake the room and produce a feeling pressure on your chest. The interesting point of the comparison is that the pedal notes sounded the same with the same extension on both setups, suggesting the Reference 107/2s are capable of delivering all the LF that's on the disc. Pretty impressive.

db
post #5146 of 5157 Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I played the 3rd symphony on this disc first using my Ayre C-5xeMP, Parasound JC 2 BP preamp, JC 1 amps, and KEF Reference 107/2s. The organ pedal notes are indeed amazing. Then I played the same tracks using my Esoteric SA-60, Bryston SP3 processor with front LR passed through the JC 2 BP to the JC 1 amps and the KEF 107/2s now supplemented with a 40 Hz crossover to a pair of Velodyne HGS-15s and SMS-1 that provides LF acoustic room correction. The HGS-15s can shake the room and produce a feeling pressure on your chest. The interesting point of the comparison is that the pedal notes sounded the same with the same extension on both setups, suggesting the Reference 107/2s are capable of delivering all the LF that's on the disc. Pretty impressive.

db
Some of those pedals plunge down to 16hz which we can only indeed feel, my mains will shake the room as well (most likely second order harmonics around 32hz excited)but adding my subs to the mix is a different animal as more visceral authority and room shuttering is achieved.

it's truly an amazing recording and even the applause are captured extremely well, shocks me every time I listen
post #5147 of 5157 Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Some of those pedals plunge down to 16hz which we can only indeed feel, my mains will shake the room as well (most likely second order harmonics around 32hz excited)but adding my subs to the mix is a different animal as more visceral authority and room shuttering is achieved.

it's truly an amazing recording and even the applause are captured extremely well, shocks me every time I listen

Which recording? I skimmed the thread and didn't see which disc mentioned. I have an organ smaller CD and hsu's test CD. I know 31hz will rattle EVERYTHING! 16hz is wondrous to feel, especially if you have multiple subs. Got to experience the difference when I added a second sub. It was much smoother and jarring to the bone.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #5148 of 5157 Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Which recording? I skimmed the thread and didn't see which disc mentioned. I have an organ smaller CD and hsu's test CD. I know 31hz will rattle EVERYTHING! 16hz is wondrous to feel, especially if you have multiple subs. Got to experience the difference when I added a second sub. It was much smoother and jarring to the bone.
I believe the reference is to the recording mentioned in post 5060. The hybrid CD/SACD is available from Amazon.
pukemon and audiofan1 like this.
post #5149 of 5157 Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I believe the reference is to the recording mentioned in post 5060. The hybrid CD/SACD is available from Amazon.

Oh OK. Thanks. I have that on my check out list. I dont have it in FLAC on my phone. Wondering if I have it in mp3 format. Definitely need to check it out if it is well recorded. Some classical is recorded very poorly.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #5150 of 5157 Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Was available, I think I ordered the last one. Thanks for the link!
audiofan1 likes this.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #5151 of 5157 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe the reference is to the recording mentioned in post 5060.
That's the one I played on both setups. What surprised me was that both the KEF Reference 107/2s and the Velodyne HGS-15s delivered that more felt than heard LF extension equally, but then that's not the first recording of that symphony to reveal such LF output from the KEFs.

db
post #5152 of 5157 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
That's the one I played on both setups. What surprised me was that both the KEF Reference 107/2s and the Velodyne HGS-15s delivered that more felt than heard LF extension equally, but then that's not the first recording of that symphony to reveal such LF output from the KEFs.

db
I hear ya! My mains really strut there stuff with full tilt classical! here's one that delivers as well

post #5153 of 5157 Old Today, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone tried hooking up a JC2-BP to a P7?
I have an Oppo 105 with a P7 and A21 and use them for 2 channel and movies. I wanted to see if it was worth adding a JC2-BP to that loop would be major setup up in 2 channel sound quality.
Im wondering if the P7 will handle all the bass mgmt for the JC2.
any thoughts?

If you do have one set up. how did you hook it up? im guessing 2 channgel XLR out from Oppo 105 to JC2-BP with 1 input on HT bypass and Oppo 105 Multichannel Preouts to P7?

Last edited by covers; Today at 04:31 AM.
post #5154 of 5157 Old Today, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covers View Post
Has anyone tried hooking up a JC2-BP to a P7?
I have an Oppo 105 with a P7 and A21 and use them for 2 channel and movies. I wanted to see if it was worth adding a JC2-BP to that loop would be major setup up in 2 channel sound quality.
I've never heard one in a setup, but I thought the P7 was supposed to be pretty good. Adding a JC 2 BP for stereo seems a bit over the top, but you might want to contact Richard Schram at Parasound. The JC 2 is probably a better stereo preamp than the front LR of the P7, but is the difference worth the added complexity? Richard might know.

I had a JC 2 BP before I added a processor, so I use the by-pass mode of the preamp as a way for front LR from the processor to access the amps used for stereo. If I didn't already have the JC 2 BP, I'd probably just use the analog input of the Bryston SP3 for stereo as well as multichannel. I suspect both the JC 2 and SP3 approach the wire-with-gain ideal, i.e., provide a clean audio path with amplification, and the P7 may not be far off.

db
post #5155 of 5157 Old Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
No real complaints with the Integra just want some opinions on what else is out there and experience with them???
Thanks.
I have a Krell Foundation (non-4K) that I am really enjoying mated with the Parasound A52. Sounds fantastic for movies, incredible surround sound steering and a good room equalizaton system (ARES) with a really lame mic.

When I measured the ARES results with REW I was surprised at how smooth it made the bass because I thought Krell's effort wouldn't be as good as some of the others.

Supposedly there's going to be a Foundation replacement because of DTS-X etc.

Last edited by artur9; Today at 05:42 PM.
post #5156 of 5157 Old Today, 05:30 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Just a lot of gab between two old friends who don't often get such an opportunity. A/V-wise, not much, although I did ask and report about his position on HDMI because someone asked me to do s..
Can't blame Parasound for sticking with what they excel at. The processor market development is really insane these past years.
post #5157 of 5157 Old Today, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Can't blame Parasound for sticking with what they excel at. The processor market development is really insane these past years.

Yes there is a video on youtube where Richard Schram talks a little bit about why they pulled out of av processor market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp