Parasound Owners Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 481Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
danthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I've had an A21 for a while, and now have an a51 being shipped to me. I was going to do the same comparison on my mains.


Great. We'll compare notes. The 31 and 51 are the same design I understand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adrummingdude likes this.
danthony1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2016, 05:36 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
Great. We'll compare notes. The 31 and 51 are the same design I understand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not a believer that "all amps sound the same". I love my A51. However, I think it's highly doubtful anyone will hear a difference between the A21, A31 or A51.
exm is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm not a believer that "all amps sound the same". I love my A51. However, I think it's highly doubtful anyone will hear a difference between the A21, A31 or A51.

All amps will sound the same when all speakers present the same load


- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
RichB is online now  
 
Old 10-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
danthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Parasound Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm not a believer that "all amps sound the same". I love my A51. However, I think it's highly doubtful anyone will hear a difference between the A21, A31 or A51.


Im not of the opinion that all amps sound the same either. Keeping my speakers constant, i went from a Nak AVR to an external sunfire, to an A52 then A23 and now A31. Definitely heard different sounds going from one to another, dramatic differences. I had the sunfire and A52 at the same time and returned the sunfire. Now going from the A31 to A21 for the mains it will probably be hard to tell a difference but I wanted to have my 5 main speakers on the same level so either way I'm good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danthony1 is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mitch57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Evergreen State, USA
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
All amps will sound the same when all speakers present the same load


- Rich
Not in my experience. I went from a Rotel RMB-1095 to a Parasound Halo A51. Nothing changed in my system but the amp. There was a substantial difference in dynamics and clarity between the two.
danthony1 likes this.
Mitch57 is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:01 PM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
All amps will sound the same when all speakers present the same load


- Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post
Not in my experience. I went from a Rotel RMB-1095 to a Parasound Halo A51. Nothing changed in my system but the amp. There was a substantial difference in dynamics and clarity between the two.


Since, all speakers do not present the same load, ... all amps do not sound the same


- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
RichB is online now  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
danthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
All amps will sound the same when all speakers present the same load


- Rich


Please elaborate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danthony1 is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
Please elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See above this post above:

Parasound Owners Thread

I bi-amp, so some consider me the lunatic fringe

- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
RichB is online now  
Old 10-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Smile New A21 Owner

I just picked up my Parasound Halo A21 this afternoon, at a really nice hi-fi dealer who has a showroom in Santa Rosa. Very glad to have a showroom locally again. I was planning on getting a nice new amp to drive my Magenpan MMG's, and I was thinking about a tube unit, like a Primaluna for example. I decided to go with the Parasound because of the high power and very good reviews, it can handle a 4ohm load and has loads of power now. I also decided to trade the MMG's in for a pair of 1.7i's which should be in in about a week or so. I bought balanced cables to connect my Marantz receiver up to the A21. I will now have two channels on the Marantz to deploy for speakers 6&7 of the 7.4.1 setup.

I'm very much looking to playing with my new gear this weekend. The nice gentleman who sold me the unit said to not stress about the burn in time, that I could just leave it turned on for a few days and it will open up. I'm sure it will be great out of the box and will only get better.

I appreciate all the information I've picked up from reading posts from you all here.

Cheers!

Peter
audiofan1 likes this.
santa rosa peter is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 04:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 9,119
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa rosa peter View Post
I just picked up my Parasound Halo A21 this afternoon, at a really nice hi-fi dealer who has a showroom in Santa Rosa. Very glad to have a showroom locally again. I was planning on getting a nice new amp to drive my Magenpan MMG's, and I was thinking about a tube unit, like a Primaluna for example. I decided to go with the Parasound because of the high power and very good reviews, it can handle a 4ohm load and has loads of power now. I also decided to trade the MMG's in for a pair of 1.7i's which should be in in about a week or so. I bought balanced cables to connect my Marantz receiver up to the A21. I will now have two channels on the Marantz to deploy for speakers 6&7 of the 7.4.1 setup.
Congrats on the new amp and speakers, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Btw, the correct way to state your speaker configuration is 7.1.4 (unless you really have 4 subwoofers and 1 height speaker).
gsr is online now  
Old 10-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
danthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa rosa peter View Post
I just picked up my Parasound Halo A21 this afternoon, at a really nice hi-fi dealer who has a showroom in Santa Rosa. Very glad to have a showroom locally again. I was planning on getting a nice new amp to drive my Magenpan MMG's, and I was thinking about a tube unit, like a Primaluna for example. I decided to go with the Parasound because of the high power and very good reviews, it can handle a 4ohm load and has loads of power now. I also decided to trade the MMG's in for a pair of 1.7i's which should be in in about a week or so. I bought balanced cables to connect my Marantz receiver up to the A21. I will now have two channels on the Marantz to deploy for speakers 6&7 of the 7.4.1 setup.



I'm very much looking to playing with my new gear this weekend. The nice gentleman who sold me the unit said to not stress about the burn in time, that I could just leave it turned on for a few days and it will open up. I'm sure it will be great out of the box and will only get better.



I appreciate all the information I've picked up from reading posts from you all here.



Cheers!



Peter


My A31 received a new friend today also, an A21. Ill be installing it over the weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiofan1 likes this.
danthony1 is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Btw, the correct way to state your speaker configuration is 7.1.4 (unless you really have 4 subwoofers and 1 height speaker).
So does that mean the correct designation for my setup of LCR, side and rear surrounds, and two subs is 7.2? The subs share a common output from the Bryston SP3, but that output goes to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that does have multiple outputs, so each HGS-15 has its own lead.

db
dbphd is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 9,119
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
So does that mean the correct designation for my setup of LCR, side and rear surrounds, and two subs is 7.2? The subs share a common output from the Bryston SP3, but that output goes to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that does have multiple outputs, so each HGS-15 has its own lead.

db
I'd say yes, but I'm not sure if there's a good consensus on whether multiple subs should be considered 1 if they share a common output. But the format is [RegularSpeakerCount].[SubCount].[HeightSpeakerCount].
gsr is online now  
Old 10-29-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'd say yes, but I'm not sure if there's a good consensus on whether multiple subs should be considered 1 if they share a common output. But the format is [RegularSpeakerCount].[SubCount].[HeightSpeakerCount].
Although what you state is the accepted interpretation, it is probably more accurate to replace the terms "SpeakerCount" and "SubCount" with "SignalChannelCount" and "SubChannelCount." Paralleling multiple speaker boxes for a single signal line is not applying any new information into the sound.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Gary Sedlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas,NV
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
My A31 received a new friend today also, an A21. Ill be installing it over the weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the new amp. I along with many on this forum, I think, will be looking for your thoughts and opinions. As an A31 owner I would like to hear your thoughts on the comparison between the two for two channel listening. I can only speak for myself when I say that the A31 has met and exceeded my expectations with sound and power quality.

Looking forward to your input, enjoy the new amp.

G
danthony1 likes this.

Have fun with music and HT

Gary
Gary Sedlack is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Although what you state is the accepted interpretation, it is probably more accurate to replace the terms "SpeakerCount" and "SubCount" with "SignalChannelCount" and "SubChannelCount." Paralleling multiple speaker boxes for a single signal line is not applying any new information into the sound.

Unfortunately, there is no standard here. The n.n.n designation indicates speakers (subs are speakers). Heights are also channels, so the first designator requires a modifier. All speakers are connected to channels and receive signals.


IMO, "channels" are best reserved to describe the source 7.1 format, 5.1format, format + Atmos or DTS:X. The M.S.H (Main, Subs, Height) represents the installed speakers., not the source which is mapped to these speaker or channels.


- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
RichB is online now  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Unfortunately, there is no standard here.
OK. But there should be and it should focus on the number of distinct output channels, not how many boxes are attached.

Quote:
IMO, "channels" are best reserved to describe the source 7.1 format, 5.1format, format + Atmos or DTS:X.
Exactly. For example, many individuals and manufacturers, as well, refer to their two, identical subwoofer outputs as making the product a 5.2 or 7.2 channel device, which it is not.

Quote:
The M.S.H (Main, Subs, Height) represents the installed speakers., not the source which is mapped to these speaker or channels.
Lost me here. Why is this different?
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
OK. But there should be and it should focus on the number of distinct output channels, not how many boxes are attached.

Exactly. For example, many individuals and manufacturers, as well, refer to their two, identical subwoofer outputs as making the product a 5.2 or 7.2 channel device, which it is not.

Lost me here. Why is this different?
It's simple: N1.N2.N3 is commonly used to indicate speakers:

N1 - Main speakers, typically 2, 5, 7
N2 - Subwoofers, typically 0, 1, 2, 4
N3 - Height speakers, typically 0, 1 (Voice of God), 2, 4

Where "speaker" is analogous to output channel (not input channel).

There is no standard, but even output channel is not accurate when bi-amping since two channels are used per speaker (which may or may not be in a box ).
I prefer speakers since everyone "gets it".

- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020

Last edited by RichB; 10-29-2016 at 12:23 PM.
RichB is online now  
Old 10-29-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
It's simple: N1.N2.N3 is commonly used to indicate speakers:

N1 - Main speakers, typically 2, 5, 7
N2 - Subwoofers, typically 0, 1, 2, 4
N3 - Height speakers, typically 0, 1 (Voice of God), 2, 4

Where "speaker" is analogous to output channel (not input channel).

There is no standard, but even output channel is not accurate when bi-amping since two channels are used per speaker (which may ore may be in a box ).
I prefer speakers since everyone "gets it".
I do wonder how independent sub or LFE information is even if there are multiple outputs. I think an argument can be made for speaker count, because that's what the listener encounters. The concept becomes murkier for surround where crossovers for various channels may be quite different, e.g., 40 Hz for my 107/2s, 60 Hz for the 204/2C, 80 Hz for the four LS50s. I've yet to explore height speakers, and may never do so unless someone makes a pass-through processor that sends height information via Bluetooth to self-powered speakers -- I'm not going to substitute an AVR for my SP3 just for height effects.

db
dbphd is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I do wonder how independent sub or LFE information is even if there are multiple outputs. I think an argument can be made for speaker count, because that's what the listener encounters. The concept becomes murkier for surround where crossovers for various channels may be quite different, e.g., 40 Hz for my 107/2s, 60 Hz for the 204/2C, 80 Hz for the four LS50s. I've yet to explore height speakers, and may never do so unless someone makes a pass-through processor that sends height information via Bluetooth to self-powered speakers -- I'm not going to substitute an AVR for my SP3 just for height effects.

db

That depends on the processor, some processors have multiple sub outs but do not separately apply REQ/PEQ. Some permit only distance and trims. Some learned folks adjust subs independently, then apply REQ/PEQ as one.


- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020

Last edited by RichB; 10-29-2016 at 12:32 PM.
RichB is online now  
Old 10-29-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
It's simple: N1.N2.N3 is commonly used to indicate speakers:

N1 - Main speakers, typically 2, 5, 7
N2 - Subwoofers, typically 0, 1, 2, 4
N3 - Height speakers, typically 0, 1 (Voice of God), 2, 4

Where "speaker" is analogous to output channel (not input channel).

There is no standard, but even output channel is not accurate when bi-amping since two channels are used per speaker (which may or may not be in a box ).
I prefer speakers since everyone "gets it".
Noted but "everyone gets it" works as long as one accepts some ambiguity. Fortunately for me, I stick to single plane systems where the ambiguity is easily apparent.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 02:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 9,119
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
^ I was just trying to point out that the sub and height speaker counts were backwards... I didn't intend to start a bunch of controversy over whether the numbers represent the discrete channels or the physical speaker count.

But my feeling is that when describing your physical speaker configuration, the numbers should represent the actual physical speaker count. When specifying how many channels the input signal is or how many channels the AVR or pre-pro can actually process, the numbers should represent the number of discrete channels that are involved. So you could have a 7.1.4 pre-pro and something like 9.4.4 speakers (the extra speakers would be 2 sets of side speakers to cover a large room and 3 additional subwoofers in this case).
gsr is online now  
Old 10-29-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ I was just trying to point out that the sub and height speaker counts were backwards... I didn't intend to start a bunch of controversy over whether the numbers represent the discrete channels or the physical speaker count.

But my feeling is that when describing your physical speaker configuration, the numbers should represent the actual physical speaker count. When specifying how many channels the input signal is or how many channels the AVR or pre-pro can actually process, the numbers should represent the number of discrete channels that are involved. So you could have a 7.1.4 pre-pro and something like 9.4.4 speakers (the extra speakers would be 2 sets of side speakers to cover a large room and 3 additional subwoofers in this case).
Good. I buy.............err.........can accept that.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Okay, so now I've had a little bit of time to compare the A21 and A51 on my mains (B&W CM9s), I have some observations.

1. Both amps sound lovely, but there IS a difference. The A51 sounds lusher and fuller in the mid bass to lower midrange region. By comparison, the A21 will first sound a bit weaker, but my ears soon began to enjoy the A21 more. It just has an effortlessness to it when the level rises that the A51 just doesn't quite match.

2. The A21 has always stayed cool in my rack, but the A51, especially when pushing all 5 channels, you can fry an egg on. This thing gets HOT! I'm going to look into some cooling solutions.

Now, I will get my flame suit on in preparation for the "all amps sound the same" crowd to tell me why my observations must be wrong.

By the way. I like the A21 better, but that's not really a dig on the A51, as it certainly is a fine amplifier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	1742257  
gsr, danthony1, pukemon and 1 others like this.

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - DefTech Mythos Ten - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE

Last edited by adrummingdude; 10-29-2016 at 05:27 PM.
adrummingdude is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,447
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
If you're looking for cooling solutions, check these guys out: https://www.coolerguys.com/




Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Okay, so now I've had a little bit of time to compare the A21 and A51 on my mains (B&W CM9s), I have some observations.

1. Both amps sound lovely, but there IS a difference. The A51 sounds lusher and fuller in the mid bass to lower midrange region. By comparison, the A21 will first sound a bit weaker, but my ears soon began to enjoy the A21 more. It just has an effortlessness to it when the level rises that the A51 just doesn't quite match.

2. The A21 has always stayed cool in my rack, but the A51, especially when pushing all 5 channels, you can fry an egg on. This thing gets HOT! I'm going to look into some cooling solutions.

Now, I will get my flame suit on in preparation for the "all amps sound the same" crowd to tell me why my observations must be wrong.

By the way. I like the A21 better, but that's not really a dig on the A51, as it certainly is a fine amplifier.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Dave Vaughn is offline  
Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
danthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I installed the A21 today, pulled the A23 and relocated the A31 to the center/rears from front/ center.

Maybe is just a placebo effect and wishful thinking after spending money but this is what I believe.

Overall sound signature is obviously the same, female voices Patricia Barber and Norah Jones sounded the same as before.

I believe that bass control was slightly better. I also believe that there was a bit more air to the music. What ever the differences are its subtle or in my mind. One thing i can say for sure is that moving the A31 to the rear made a noticeable improvement. Due to room constraints the rear speakers are only about 5 feet from my ears so you pickup alot.

I recently picked ip an Audyssey Pro kit so next step calibration.

What I will say is I'm good with my electronics for a while. Speakers are the next pursuit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danthony1 is offline  
Old 10-31-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Okay, so now I've had a little bit of time to compare the A21 and A51 on my mains (B&W CM9s), I have some observations.

1. Both amps sound lovely, but there IS a difference. The A51 sounds lusher and fuller in the mid bass to lower midrange region. By comparison, the A21 will first sound a bit weaker, but my ears soon began to enjoy the A21 more. It just has an effortlessness to it when the level rises that the A51 just doesn't quite match.

2. The A21 has always stayed cool in my rack, but the A51, especially when pushing all 5 channels, you can fry an egg on. This thing gets HOT! I'm going to look into some cooling solutions.

Now, I will get my flame suit on in preparation for the "all amps sound the same" crowd to tell me why my observations must be wrong.

By the way. I like the A21 better, but that's not really a dig on the A51, as it certainly is a fine amplifier.
My amps stay reasonably cool during movies. Music is a different matter. Take the advice of the cooler guys.com link. You can also check out their stuff on Amazon. If I remember I'll take pics of my custom setup. I bought some cooler guys stuff but replaced with noctua fans.
pukemon is offline  
Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
My amps stay reasonably cool during movies. Music is a different matter. Take the advice of the cooler guys.com link. You can also check out their stuff on Amazon. If I remember I'll take pics of my custom setup. I bought some cooler guys stuff but replaced with noctua fans.


Which amps are you running on which channels?


Can anyone else confirm the A51 is normally MUCH hotter running than the A21?

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - DefTech Mythos Ten - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is offline  
Old 10-31-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Which amps are you running on which channels?


Can anyone else confirm the A51 is normally MUCH hotter running than the A21?
A31. Usually running all 3ch unless listening to stereo. Also, have an onkyo 3009 with basic same amp type and running 2 or 4 check off that. When I do movies, the onkyo puts out a little more heat. When I listen to music everything gets much warmer. It should be common sense. Movies you're usually running the center the most and the rest of the speakers in small bursts. Music is running the amps the whole time.
adrummingdude likes this.
pukemon is offline  
Old 10-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Member
 
WAFWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Which amps are you running on which channels?


Can anyone else confirm the A51 is normally MUCH hotter running than the A21?
The A51 will run warm but i wouldn't call it hot. Please call the technical department regarding this. I want to make sure this amp is performing up to its specs. Is the A51 at the bottom of the rack with the A21 above it or is it the other way around? Judging by the photo, it appears as if there is not adequate space between the amps for proper ventilation. I recommend at least 2RU above and below each the A21 and A51 with the A51 on the bottom.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
WAFWarrior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off