Parasound Owners Thread - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #5341 of 5346 Old Today, 04:11 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiMunda View Post
Question : I am looking to introduce subwoofer for music at low/moderate volumes. I have A21 connected to Marantz 7702 pre amp using XLR cables in 2 channel only setup at the moment. Is there any way I can incorporate velodyne subwoofer in the setup without making main speakers as - small.

Thought - Can I user - L/R "Loop" RCA output of A21 and connect to RCA input terminals of velodyne sub ? This way I can use crossover of velodyne sub and it will always be engaged.

What do you think of this ?

Thanks
Why is it that you don't want to configure your main speakers as "small"? That's part of the process of integrating a subwoofer into the system. The "small" selection doesn't mean your speakers are now considered tiny, it means that the crossover has been turned on and the frequency you (or an Audyssey calibration) have selected now defines the transition point where content below the crossover point gradually transitions over to the subwoofer.

You could use the loop outputs on the A21 instead of setting the speakers to small, but then you would end up with double bass as the full bass content will then go to both your main speakers AND your subwoofer, which really isn't desirable.

Edit: To clarify the last point.

Last edited by gsr; Today at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5346 Old Today, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Why is it that you don't want to configure your main speakers as "small"? That's part of the process of integrating a subwoofer into the system. The "small" selection doesn't mean your speakers are now considered tiny, it means that the crossover has been turned on and the frequency you (or an Audyssey calibration) have selected now defines the transition point where content below the crossover point gradually transitions over to the subwoofer. You could use the loop outputs on the A21, but then you would end up with double bass as the full bass content will then go to both your main speakers AND your subwoofer, which really isn't desirable.

Thank You for nice explanation. So this is what i am thinking of doing now. Please validate.

Change speaker setting to "small" connect "loop" RCA output of parasound to sub input. Run Audyssey calibration and tweak crossover settings if needed.

Thanks

Last edited by DesiMunda; Today at 06:01 PM.
post #5343 of 5346 Old Today, 06:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Thank You for nice explanation. So this is what i am thinking of doing now. Please validate.

Change speaker setting to "small" connect "loop" RCA output of parasound to sub input. Run Audyssey calibration and tweak crossover settings on pre/pro if needed.

Thanks
Um, no that definitely won't work. When you set the speaker to small, the pre-out for that speaker will have the crossover applied, which means that hooking the subwoofer to the loop outputs from the A21 means the subwoofer won't be getting much content to work with.

Change the speaker setting to small and leave your amp hooked up as it currently is. Connect your subwoofer to the subwoofer output on the Marantz 7702. Then run an Audyssey calibration and then tweak any settings that need to be tweaked.
post #5344 of 5346 Old Today, 06:25 PM

thanks; will try as you suggested.
post #5345 of 5346 Old Today, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Is there any way I can incorporate velodyne subwoofer in the setup without making main speakers as - small.
Does the Velodyne have "high level" inputs? You'd run speaker wire from the amp to the Velodyne then some more speaker wire to the L/R speakers.
post #5346 of 5346 Old Today, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Does the Velodyne have "high level" inputs? You'd run speaker wire from the amp to the Velodyne then some more speaker wire to the L/R speakers.
Thanks for your suggestions. It has output and input RCA connection; Don't know how much sound distortion they may add and that's why do not want to run additional cable wires out of subwoofers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page