Parasound Owners Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 463Likes

post #5401 of 5581 Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Those are miniature Persian rugs he got from Building <a href="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=19." target="_blank">#19 . We used to have a chain of stores in our area called <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_19" target="_blank">Building #19 that got stock from all sorts of sources such as damaged products, overstocks, fire sales, bankrupt companies, and so on and one of the things they fairly reliably carried was rugs. If you shopped carefully, you could get some really good deals as long as you didn't mind going into a rather grungy store (the rug area actually wasn't bad and was actually a separate building at the location near me) and didn't expect any sort of customer service. Ironically, Building #19 closed all locations due to bankruptcy in 2013 - I wonder who took their remaining inventory.

The bigger question is how his little friends next to the left speaker watch movies sitting where they are. Hopefully RichB moves their chair into a better location as needed.

My friend bought those rugs, but they were gone, so I had these cut and edged. My little friends benefit from the excellent viewing angle afforded by OLED TV's

- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5581 Old 01-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi fellows I'm a huge Parasound fan here. My current setup comprises of 3 JC1, JC2bp, and Marantz AV8802a. I recently sold my speakers and going back to Kef LS50's set of 5 for home theater and 2 channel listening. I have a pair of JL e112 but listed currently to sell to upgrade to a pair of JL f113 v.2 or SVS SB16 but still trying to decide on which sub is better.

Now the advice I need is has anyone have experience connecting the subs to both the AV receiver and the JC2bp without any conflict? If so can someone demonstrate how they achieved connecting a sub to both preamps without causing two signals to go into the sub when in home theater mode?

I came across a JL CR1 active crossover and it seems it has a built in home theater bypass mode. The YouTube video I saw regarding the crossover briefly mentioned that the Jl crossover is a solution to connecting a sub to both 2 channel preamp and AV receiver. It seems the home theater bypass shuts down the internal crossover settings in the Jl CR1 in which the AV receiver will do the processing. That sort of confuses me because I would think in home theater bypass mode on the Jl CR1 would just simply shut down the signal all together going to the JL subs and allow the AV receiver with its own set of cables connected to the sub take over? I hope that makes sense. Not sure if heard it right.

Now the big question is do I need it? Is there a cheaper solution? Any suggestions? Will I benefit by incorporating the JL CR1 inbteeen the Kef and subs? I guess I could play the LS50's crossed over at 80hz and let the sub handle the rest in 2 channel mode since the Jc2 can't do that. But is it really going to improve sound drastically? Has anyone have a set up similar to this? Kef LS50 in full range mode with sub vs Kef LS50 crossed over at 80hz with sub?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Especially anything that will save my pocket book 😉
post #5403 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post
Hi fellows I'm a huge Parasound fan here. My current setup comprises of 3 JC1, JC2bp, and Marantz AV8802a.
My components are similar to yours, JC 1 monoblocks for LCR, a JC 2 BP for stereo, a Bryston SP3 processor and a pair of A 23 amps probably doing the job your AVR does for surround. For stereo, I don't use a sub, for surround music and HT the front LR channels from the SP3 are passed through the JC 2 BP while the other channels go directly to their respective amps. The SP3 outputs LF to a Velodyne SMS-1 that manages a pair of HGS-15s. I use LS50s for side and rear surrounds, KEF Reference 107/2s for front LR, and a Reference 204/2c for center. In another setup, I use LS50s for stereo, supplemented by a pair of HGS-10s with an SMS-1 -- just because I had them. But I find the LS50s entirely adequate without subs for music. The amp is an A 21.

db

post #5404 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post
Sure. Phil@parasound.com
Let me know if you have any other questions.

I dropped an amp off for service today and spotted a pair of LS50's on a test bench. That's a pretty good (unofficial) endorsement for the little buggers if that's what you guys use to test gear.

I'm even more curious about them now.

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - Martin Logan SLM-XL - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB-2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON RED
post #5405 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
My components are similar to yours, JC 1 monoblocks for LCR, a JC 2 BP for stereo, a Bryston SP3 processor and a pair of A 23 amps probably doing the job your AVR does for surround. For stereo, I don't use a sub, for surround music and HT the front LR channels from the SP3 are passed through the JC 2 BP while the other channels go directly to their respective amps. The SP3 outputs LF to a Velodyne SMS-1 that manages a pair of HGS-15s. I use LS50s for side and rear surrounds, KEF Reference 107/2s for front LR, and a Reference 204/2c for center. In another setup, I use LS50s for stereo, supplemented by a pair of HGS-10s with an SMS-1 -- just because I had them. But I find the LS50s entirely adequate without subs for music. The amp is an A 21.

db
Thanks db. Was just thinking I would love to take advantage of the Jl subs in both home theater and two channel mode. Love the Ls50. I have a couple pairs in the past. One of the best bang for the dollar for small speakers. I never really tried a full Ls50 set up for home theater. I have played a couple movies in two channel mode. But when I bought a new larger center I noticed the LS50 limited capability in scale and dynamic range. However at that time I didn't run any subs. I figure with couple good subs supporting the lower registers, the Ls50 will sound nice for home theater.

Don
post #5406 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I dropped an amp off for service today and spotted a pair of LS50's on a test bench. That's a pretty good (unofficial) endorsement for the little buggers if that's what you guys use to test gear.

I'm even more curious about them now.
I have paired an Ls50 with JC1 and at first was scared that was going to be too much power for the little buggers. But not at all. The Ls50 took all the power with no sweat. If anything the more power you feed them the more bass and slam comes to mind. I even paired them with Bel Canto Ref1000m and again the Ls50 handled the power and loved it. Even tried with McIntosh MC452, however the amp did go into protection mode when I cranked them up. I probably went well above the tolerance level of the speakers. The speakers started clipping briefly before the amp went into protection mode. I think the Ls50 and JC1 is an amazing combination.

Don
post #5407 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would love to take advantage of the Jl subs in both home theater and two channel mode.
Don,

I'm guessing the big difference in our setups is your Marantz AVR and my Bryston SP3. I suspect the SP3 is a sonic equal to the JC 2 BP. My sources for surround music are an Oppo 105D (Blu-ray) and Esoteric SA-60, either of which can also do stereo while the SP3 provides output to the sub manager. But my preferred sources for stereo are vinyl through a JC 3 and discs with an Ayre C5-xeMP, and these go just through the JC 2 BP with no sub output. The KEF Reference 107/2s extend to 20 Hz and can provide that sense of vibration you feel with live organ recitals; the LS50s, of course, can't quite manage that.

db
post #5408 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Don,

I'm guessing the big difference in our setups is your Marantz AVR and my Bryston SP3. I suspect the SP3 is a sonic equal to the JC 2 BP. My sources for surround music are an Oppo 105D (Blu-ray) and Esoteric SA-60, either of which can also do stereo while the SP3 provides output to the sub manager. But my preferred sources for stereo are vinyl through a JC 3 and discs with an Ayre C5-xeMP, and these go just through the JC 2 BP with no sub output. The KEF Reference 107/2s extend to 20 Hz and can provide that sense of vibration you feel with live organ recitals; the LS50s, of course, can't quite manage that.

db
Yeah that's my concern. The Ls50 being a bookshelf speaker will lack the low end grunt. That's the reason why I want to add subs. The big question is do I need an active crossover or is there a away around it with my setup? I read couple articles where the writer spoke of benefits of crossing over main speakers at 80hz when paired with subs for 2 channel music listening. I'm wondering if the CR1 is worth the price. It seems to solve two problems:

One, I can pair my subs with both my AV receiver and JC2bp at the same time (I assume from the Jl video I watched) and also benefit by not running the LS50 in full range to help reduce distortion at louder volumes and let the subs be the work horse.

Or if I can find a work around where I can use my subs with both AV8802a and JC2bp and run my Ls50 in full range with sub.

I wonder what is the best solution assuming the second option is possible. Of course saving money option is the best but without compromising sound!

😉

Don
post #5409 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering if the CR1 is worth the price. It seems to solve two problems:

One, I can pair my subs with both my AV receiver and JC2bp at the same time (I assume from the Jl video I watched) and also benefit by not running the LS50 in full range to help reduce distortion at louder volumes and let the subs be the work horse.

Or if I can find a work around where I can use my subs with both AV8802a and JC2bp and run my Ls50 in full range with sub.
Another possibility would seem to be replacing the AV8802a with a processor that is the sonic equivalent of the JC 2 BP, but then there is the need for surround amps. A used Cary Cinema 12, for example, might not cost any more than the CR1, and you may be able to use the amp section of the AV to drive surrounds.

db
post #5410 of 5581 Old 01-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Another possibility would seem to be replacing the AV8802a with a processor that is the sonic equivalent of the JC 2 BP, but then there is the need for surround amps. A used Cary Cinema 12, for example, might not cost any more than the CR1, and you may be able to use the amp section of the AV to drive surrounds.

db
Good point. I've thought of that too. I was looking into the McIntosh MX160 but it's a bit overpriced for something that will be potentially obselete in the next year or so. Seems like a good stereo preamp doesn't change much but AV receiver always seem to have new technology like hdmi, surround formats, etc. being updated. I have a Sunfire TGA-7401 for my surrounds. If I were to choose that route what other AV processors would be equivalent to both AV8802a for home theater and JC2bp for stereo? The processor would definitely be able to play in pure direct mode and allow for subs to play and of course sound amazing in 2 channel mode.

Don
post #5411 of 5581 Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seems like a good stereo preamp doesn't change much but AV receiver always seem to have new technology like hdmi, surround formats, etc. being updated. If I were to choose that route what other AV processors would be equivalent to both AV8802a for home theater and JC2bp for stereo?
Because technology seems to change in processors, you can often find them used at good prices. Three processors known for fine sonics that come to mind are the Bryston SP3, Cary Cinema 12, and Classe SP 800, with the Cary being usually the least expensive and the Bryston most expensive. I suspect any of the three would give the JC 2 BP strong competition, and be superior to the AV8802a.

db (also Don)
post #5412 of 5581 Old 01-08-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Three processors known for fine sonics that come to mind are the Bryston SP3, Cary Cinema 12, and Classe SP 800, with the Cary being usually the least expensive and the Bryston most expensive.
I had a Cary Cinema 11 (no HDMI) and loved it.
post #5413 of 5581 Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Because technology seems to change in processors, you can often find them used at good prices. Three processors known for fine sonics that come to mind are the Bryston SP3, Cary Cinema 12, and Classe SP 800, with the Cary being usually the least expensive and the Bryston most expensive. I suspect any of the three would give the JC 2 BP strong competition, and be superior to the AV8802a.
I should have written that they may be superior, because I have no experience with the 8802a, and reviews suggest its stereo can be very good. Nevertheless, a used Cinema 12 is likely to be a more cost-effective solution.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #5414 of 5581 Old 01-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I should have written that they may be superior, because I have no experience with the 8802a, and reviews suggest its stereo can be very good. Nevertheless, a used Cinema 12 is likely to be a more cost-effective solution.

Indeed. My 7702 MKii sounds incredibly good compared to several other processors I have owned, and allegedly the 8802a is even more dynamic and transparent.

Your post reminds me of something I read recently about DAC's being so good nowadays that it's hard to find poor sounding ones in all but the cheapest AVRs and such. I believe that.

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - Martin Logan SLM-XL - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB-2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON RED
post #5415 of 5581 Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Having owned the 7702mkII and now a 8802A I can confirm that the 8802A is indeed more dynamic and transparent. Nothing wrong with the 7702 it's just that the 8802 goes to 11.
audiofan1 likes this.

Samsung 78JS9500,Parasound Halo JC1's, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Marantz AVR8802A, Emotiva XSP-1, Oppo 203 & Sonica DAC, (2) SVS SB16 Ultra's
(For Sale) Parasound HCA-3500 dual monoblock chassis [500w X 2 @ 4Ω]
post #5416 of 5581 Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm expecting some new bookshelf speakers in the next day or two. For the foreseeable future I'll be pairing them with an older Pioneer Elite receiver. For comparison sake and a quick test I wanted to unplug my towers and hookup the bookshelves, but wanted to confirm everything would be okay first.

They're rated 85db at 4 ohms; 50-100W. I assume it's okay to hook them up to my A23, or is that too much power?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5417 of 5581 Old 01-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I'm expecting some new bookshelf speakers in the next day or two. For the foreseeable future I'll be pairing them with an older Pioneer Elite receiver. For comparison sake and a quick test I wanted to unplug my towers and hookup the bookshelves, but wanted to confirm everything would be okay first.

They're rated 85db at 4 ohms; 50-100W. I assume it's okay to hook them up to my A23, or is that too much power?

You're fine just don't turn it up all the way.

post #5418 of 5581 Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Too little power is usually the problem - amp clipping destroys tweeters. I read somewhere advice to the effect of "take your speakers power rating and buy an amp with double that power." So, following that advice, 100-200W @ 4Ohms.

I did once blow the woofers out of my B&W by trying to drown out some partiers on a deck a few floors away... so maybe my advice isn't worth much ;-(
post #5419 of 5581 Old 01-20-2017, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
parasound A31 or A51 size

Hello everyone
Can someone tell me about the exact size in width of the parasound A31 identical to the A51 apparently!
On the site of parasound it is stipulated a size then on the PDF a different size ...
thank you in advance
post #5420 of 5581 Old 01-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcem44 View Post
Hello everyone
Can someone tell me about the exact size in width of the parasound A31 identical to the A51 apparently!
On the site of parasound it is stipulated a size then on the PDF a different size ...
thank you in advance
They are not the same size/ The A51 is longer in that it has a rear heat-sync. I'd go with the web site.

- Rich
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
post #5421 of 5581 Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
They are not the same size/ The A51 is longer in that it has a rear heat-sync. I'd go with the web site.

- Rich

Indeed, but I want to know the width and not the depth
And on their site they were mistaken because they write 17 1/4 of an inch and on their pdf manual it is 17 1/2 And for me it changes everything because it does not fit in my furniture
post #5422 of 5581 Old 01-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
And on their site they were mistaken because they write 17 1/4 of an inch and on their pdf manual it is 17 1/2 And for me it changes everything because it does not fit in my furniture
Contact Parasound support, they will get you the data.

- Rich

post #5423 of 5581 Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
The width is closer to 17" 7/16 I just took a measurement
If it is that tight of a squeeze to get the amp in the cabinet I would suspect that there is not adequate space for heat dissipation from the heat sinks.

Contact our tech department if you have any more questions.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #5424 of 5581 Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Audio Advisor is having a great sale on the JC2 pre amp. These are new/old stock that I believe do not have the bypass. Same as the one I bought a few years ago. Available in Silver or Black. We cannot list prices here but go there and see an outstanding deal. If you don't need a bypass input and always wanted a JC2. This is the time. Not refurbished or demos.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #5425 of 5581 Old 01-23-2017, 11:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
Audio Advisor is having a great sale on the JC2 pre amp. These are new/old stock that I believe do not have the bypass. Same as the one I bought a few years ago. Available in Silver or Black. We cannot list prices here but go there and see an outstanding deal. If you don't need a bypass input and always wanted a JC2. This is the time. Not refurbished or demos.
They've got a bunch of other new/old stock Parasound stuff with great discounts too.
Gary Sedlack and yanks1 like this.
post #5426 of 5581 Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am the original owner of a parasound 2205 amp that has bulletproof for 15+ years. Tonight while watching a movie through our Marantz 7702 we lost audio no noises or nothing of note out of the ordinary just simply lost audio and looked over to see the parasound had gone into standby mode. I power cycled the Marantz and pulled out and reinserted the trigger for the amp from the Marantz and you can hear the amp click as it normally did when the marantz turned the amp on but to no avail the amp would not turn on. I tried to turn the parasound 2205 amp on manually from the front of the amp...Nothin...Has my trusty Parasound finally kicked the bucket?

Suggestions here folks..
post #5427 of 5581 Old 01-26-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi guys,
Super new to this....

I basically bought a 1000A off ebay without doing any research. Complete whim, just saw the THX ultra2 logo and thought it should be good.
I'll apologize to the wife later.

Anyways, I'm running Energy RC 70 tower speakers. I have a dinky Yamaha 6160 receiver. My plan is to relieve some of the stress on the receiver because it's driving a 5.1 system that's about to become 7.1.

To be honest. It's a basement theater and I don't listen at reference. My volume on my receiver is usually at -12 for music and -10 for movies.

Good choice?

And can someone give me some pointers as to how to set it up? I'll be taking the front right and left from my receiver's pre-outs into the parasound. How do I set it, mono, bridged? help. thanks.

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra. Drink of Choice: Flight of the Phoenix Crash

Last edited by eightninesuited; 01-26-2017 at 09:00 AM.
post #5428 of 5581 Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
total noob to separates so please forgive my ignorance.

Current setup:
Denon AVR 3803
Klipsch RB-3
Project Carbon Debut
Cassette deck
Separate DAC for audio from computer

I'm interested in the Parasound Zamp v.3 to push my current speakers, and would use the Denon as a preamp. The Denon is listed at 105WPC (I think) while the Zamp is 45WPC. would I be gaining or losing something should I use this amp to power my speakers?

thanks in advance
post #5429 of 5581 Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
total noob to separates so please forgive my ignorance.

Current setup:
Denon AVR 3803
Klipsch RB-3
Project Carbon Debut
Cassette deck
Separate DAC for audio from computer

I'm interested in the Parasound Zamp v.3 to push my current speakers, and would use the Denon as a preamp. The Denon is listed at 105WPC (I think) while the Zamp is 45WPC. would I be gaining or losing something should I use this amp to power my speakers?
The Zamps are nice for utility but not remarkably powerful amps. They would not offer you any improvement or increase in power over the amps in the Denon.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5430 of 5581 Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
I am the original owner of a parasound 2205 amp that has bulletproof for 15+ years. Tonight while watching a movie through our Marantz 7702 we lost audio no noises or nothing of note out of the ordinary just simply lost audio and looked over to see the parasound had gone into standby mode. I power cycled the Marantz and pulled out and reinserted the trigger for the amp from the Marantz and you can hear the amp click as it normally did when the marantz turned the amp on but to no avail the amp would not turn on. I tried to turn the parasound 2205 amp on manually from the front of the amp...Nothin...Has my trusty Parasound finally kicked the bucket?

Suggestions here folks..
This is still a great amp and we still service this model. You could contact Tony in our Tech department to discuss options for getting this back up and running. It may well be something simple to fix.
Tony is in the office from about 7-2 PST 415-397-7100 x120

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp