Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #631 of 3812 Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a chance to pick up an HCA-1206 locally at a good price. I would bridge channels 3+4, 5+6 to power a pair of Montior Audio RS-6.
My question, would bridging these channels give sonic benefits over say a 200 watt amp? (Parasound as well.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3812 Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post

Well, the P7 would negate the one weakness of the Integras, their analog inputs as I would use the P7 for 2 channel audio, fed directly by a Benchmark USB DAC with a computer front end. Other than that, I have used Onkyo products before and I like their AVR capabilities both from a sound and ease of use.

Understood. Just note that the Marantz is THAT much better.
post #633 of 3812 Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Are you saying the Marantz is better than the P7 or the Integra?

Dave

post #634 of 3812 Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 AM
KB1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Thx. What I would like to know is if anyone has used the HT bypass of the P7 with an Onkyo/Integra product (receiver or pre-pro). I just wanted to make sure that there were no issues with hum or anything like that and the bypass worked fine with those products.

Any feedback from other owners of the P7 would be appreciated.
post #635 of 3812 Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Thx. What I would like to know is if anyone has used the HT bypass of the P7 with an Onkyo/Integra product (receiver or pre-pro). I just wanted to make sure that there were no issues with hum or anything like that and the bypass worked fine with those products.

Any feedback from other owners of the P7 would be appreciated.
Although I have the 2100 and not the P7 I have no hum issues with the 2100 in my system. I find the 2100 is a nice improvement over my 886 for 2CH music. I did a direct comparison between the 886 (in Pure mode no sub) and the 2100 (full range no sub). I found that the SQ difference was not huge but I preferred the 2100. Although my Salk SongTowers are fine run full range I prefer to use my Rythmik F12SE sub (with a DSPeaker 8033 sub EQ) with the LP of the 2100 set to 80Hz.

If you do not need the added features of the P7 definitely consider the 2100. Below is a post from the 2100 owners thread in the 2CH audio forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post
I have heard both units hooked up to an A21 and I couldn't tell the difference. The 2100 shares many of the internal components as the P7. The P7 has many more inputs/features/functions than the 2100, hence the higher price. Just goes to show how good the 2100 is.
2100 owners thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136817

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #636 of 3812 Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Although I have the 2100 and not the P7 I have no hum issues with the 2100 in my system. I find the 2100 is a nice improvement over my 886 for 2CH music. I did a direct comparison between the 886 (in Pure mode no sub) and the 2100 (full range no sub). I found that the SQ difference was not huge but I preferred the 2100. Although my Salk SongTowers are fine run full range I prefer to use my Rythmik F12SE sub (with a DSPeaker 8033 sub EQ) with the LP of the 2100 set to 80Hz.

If you do not need the added features of the P7 definitely consider the 2100. Below is a post from the 2100 owners thread in the 2CH audio forum.

2100 owners thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136817

Bill
Thx Bill! This is the exact info I was looking for. I actually already own a P7 but have been using my Oppo for BD decoding and an external 2-channel Dac for 2ch audio and cable TV. I'm adding an Integra 80.2 to the mix and will use the P7 for 2 ch audio and the Integra for everything else using the bypass. I also did not realize that the 2100's bypass could be used even when it's off, I wonder if the P7 works the same way. Probably does.
post #637 of 3812 Old 12-15-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The P7 needs to be on for the bypass to work.

Dave

post #638 of 3812 Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 AM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

The P7 needs to be on for the bypass to work.

Thx Moonhawk.
post #639 of 3812 Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

Thx Bill! This is the exact info I was looking for. I actually already own a P7 but have been using my Oppo for BD decoding and an external 2-channel Dac for 2ch audio and cable TV. I'm adding an Integra 80.2 to the mix and will use the P7 for 2 ch audio and the Integra for everything else using the bypass. I also did not realize that the 2100’s bypass could be used even when it’s off, I wonder if the P7 works the same way. Probably does.

KB,

My pleasure. The 80.2 and the P7 will be an excellent combo thats for sure. You will have the best of both worlds with excellent HT and audio SQ. I would be interested in your thoughts of a direct comparison of the 80.2 and the P7 when you get the 80.2. The one feature (among many) that the 80.2 has that the 886 does not have is the ability to use your sub with the Direct or Pure (Onkyo only) audio mode. That is a nice option as the Direct and Pure audio modes with the 886 do not allow use of the sub. I still do not understand why there is a Pure audio mode available with Onkyo but not with Integra.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #640 of 3812 Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM
KB1

Quote:

KB,

My pleasure. The 80.2 and the P7 will be an excellent combo thats for sure. You will have the best of both worlds with excellent HT and audio SQ. I would be interested in your thoughts of a direct comparison of the 80.2 and the P7 when you get the 80.2. The one feature (among many) that the 80.2 has that the 886 does not have is the ability to use your sub with the Direct or Pure (Onkyo only) audio mode. That is a nice option as the Direct and Pure audio modes with the 886 do not allow use of the sub. I still do not understand why there is a Pure audio mode available with Onkyo but not with Integra.

Bill

Sure thing, I will definitely post back when I'm all setup Yeah I know what you mean with the Pure Audio mode. I used to own an Onkyo 705 receiver and it also had the Pure Audio feature, which is not incorporated in the Integras. Never got that either
post #641 of 3812 Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parasound amp owners! Did you know that the bias setting on your amp might be off just enough to make the amp run hot or cause transformer hum? I posted a video on you tube with the link for multiple Parasound models on bias adjustment. This is my first video so be nice. LOL

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR2DsmnAG1k
post #642 of 3812 Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:

KB,

Bill

Based on what I have read, the INtegra has some sort of pure audio mode, called "Direct Mode"

Not sure I understand this, and I am concerned---I am at the brink of purchasing a Parasound A52 and Integra DHC40.2.

I would like my External DAC to process High Res AIFF/FLAC media and bypass the Integra's processor. Based on what I have read in the Integra pdf user guide, there IS a "Stereo Direct" setting.

Quoting the instruction manual
Direct Mode In this mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. The “Speaker Configuration” (presence of speakers), “Sp Distance” and “A/V Sync” settings are enabled, but much of the processing set via Home is disabled.

So, can anyone comment on how the "Direct Mode" functions in the Integras, and if I will be able to let my external DAC process high res files rather than the Integra re-processing it??
post #643 of 3812 Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaven2 View Post

Based on what I have read, the INtegra has some sort of pure audio mode, called "Direct Mode"

Not sure I understand this, and I am concerned---I am at the brink of purchasing a Parasound A52 and Integra DHC40.2.

I would like my External DAC to process High Res AIFF/FLAC media and bypass the Integra's processor. Based on what I have read in the Integra pdf user guide, there IS a "Stereo Direct" setting.

Direct Mode In this mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. The Speaker Configuration (presence of speakers), Sp Distance and A/V Sync settings are enabled, but much of the processing set via Home is disabled.

So, can anyone comment on how the "Direct Mode" functions in the Integras, and if I will be able to let my external DAC process high res files rather than the Integra re-processing it??

I have Parasound Halo A51/A23 amps and I did not like the sound with the older Integra 9.8. The Marantz AV8003 first and AV7005 now sounds much better.
post #644 of 3812 Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 PM

I dont have the Marantz option with my installer unfortunately...he has been pretty faithful, and I have really only Integra or Cambridge options and had video problems with the Cambridge

Will the Integra pass through pure analog, or does it process it...anyone know??
post #645 of 3812 Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaven2 View Post

Direct Mode In this mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. The Speaker Configuration (presence of speakers), Sp Distance and A/V Sync settings are enabled, but much of the processing set via Home is disabled.

Well,First let me say i do not have a integra processor. I do have a Onkyo processor I use for TV mosty. Using pure music or Direct mode with my onkyo definately is the best sound when listening to music ( through Onkyo). However I do feel the sound thru the Onkyo when listening to 2 channel music is affected by the digital processing. I listen to 2 channel music thru my P7 pre-amp. I can choose music sources thru P7, via DAC, CD transport or another Tube Pre-amp.Critical listening is much more transparent using the analog P7.

Does your DAC have a volume control ? If it does I believe you will find it sounds better using Dac to power amp.

my 0.2 cents
post #646 of 3812 Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Greetings, as a newmember I apologize for any redundancies in the inevitable new guy questions. I have read the advice of many and have come across a lot of great information and am pretty sure the P7 is what I want to anchor a rebuild. I have an Oppo 83SE that I am going to leave do all the processing as I am happy with it in both 2 and MC and SACD. Currently that is my only plan. I would like to have a TT on it someday and foray into higher 2ch but for now this seems a pleasing plan.
Could you give your thoughts, recommendations or whatever else? I intently listen to 2ch /SACD a couple of hours a week and watch 5.1 movies a couple hour a week. I think the movie times will stay the same but I would like to up my critical listening times. I have the funds to buy used under 2k so I have read about the AVP2 (+6 if I had the $) maybe an SSP 600 and such but the P7 keeps drawing me back. Affordable, neutral and lets my current setup (Oppo, Aragon 8008x3) remain. I've had Denon, Marantz, Elite, ES and currently an Outlaw 1070 but I feel like I want to stay away from receivers although there are a lot of great reviews out there. Thanks to any and all for wading through the ramblings and staying to help
post #647 of 3812 Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a P7 and love it. As long as you don't need any digital inputs (such as optical or coax from a cable or satellite type source) you should be good to go.

Dave

post #648 of 3812 Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do not see myself getting into sat. I live out in the sticks where Charter Cable will never find me, although they try
The good ol rabbit ears pull in about 15 HD stations so I am happy with free and I get in Packer games...very important. I think the only thing I may miss is the ability to watch broadcast games in 5.1. But like I said, I am more interested in critical listening anyway. If the P7 is what I do, and I think it is considering there is a refreshed one on AA now (I think a return by someone on AVS but I forget who), I'll give my impressions with an Outlaw 1070 on it. Again, thanks.
David
post #649 of 3812 Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I may be wrong, but I think your broadcast Packers games should be in 5.1--Though that may depend on your local affiliate, so I can't say for sure.

Dave

post #650 of 3812 Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_MSP View Post

Just got my Parasound 2125 hooked up today to my Onkyo 905 AVR for the front left and right channels in my 7.1 Klipsch THX speaker system. Due to financial constraints, I wasn't able to get the 5125 just yet. What I'm chiming in with is my absolute pleasure with the 2125 and what it's done for my system. It seems to have not only opened up the left and right channels, increasing their quality many times over, but it also has freed up the other channels still powered by the AVR. While I will need the 5125 to complete the picture, I am ecstatic beyond belief at how the separate amp has done wonders to the sound. Thanks again to everyone in this thread who has helped me along the way and contributed to my enlightenment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

David, great to hear you're enjoying your investment

I've finally been able to swing a 5125 power amp to complete this picture. Not only that but the Onkyo 905 has been replaced by an Integra 40.1 pre-pro.

Once again, I'm very appreciative of everyone who has contributed to this thread over the years!
post #651 of 3812 Old 01-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi folks new guy here. I'm putting together a modest 2 channel system and I just bought the P3 and A23 after much deliberating from all the different choices out there and what fits my budget. I'm also buying the speakers at the end of the month, a pair of Monitor Audio RX8's. Cant wait!
post #652 of 3812 Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

what is your source?

Dave

post #653 of 3812 Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Unfortunately, Packer games are 5.1. One of the few downsides.
post #654 of 3812 Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

what is your source?

Still looking for a decent SACD player, I know there's a lot out there. I might get a used Sony DVPNS9100ES.
post #655 of 3812 Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 AM

Question regarding the Halo A51 and A21... what's the power consumption when idle? I'm trying to be more 'green' this year and just curious to know what I'm burning when the amps go off, but not exactly 'off'.

Thx...
post #656 of 3812 Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Richard Schram, the CEO of Parasound, told me that I would make the power company very happy if I left the A52 on when not in use. I'm sure that would be at least as true for the A51/A21.

However, be aware that Parasound uses a biasing circuit and claims that they do not need any warm-up period, and you can leave them turned off. I have found this to be true--they sound good right from turn-on. I have both an
A51 and an A52 (which I plan to sell-the A52 that is).

Use the 12V trigggers,and let them turn on with the rest of your system.

Remember they run class A for the first few watts and get pretty warm, and will certainly draw more juice than some other amps.

Hope this helps.

Dave

post #657 of 3812 Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucking_futs View Post

Still looking for a decent SACD player, I know there's a lot out there. I might get a used Sony DVPNS9100ES.

There is alot of praise, and following, for the Oppo 83se and alot of beta reviews on the upcoming 95. I sold a Denon 3930ci for the 83SE and have been very happy with the move. Great info in the Oppo threads.
post #658 of 3812 Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM

thanks.

yeah i do use the 12v triggers--used to run from the processor to my Panamax power unit to turn on the power bays, then relayed down to the A21 and A51. however, this approach has randomly tripped my home circuit breaker twice, and now i've bypassed the power unit and instead have the processor trigger the A21/51 directly. question is, when powered down the Halo amps would still "glow". does that mean it's still drawing a significant amount of energy? I've touched the amps this morning and they feel cool... (pun!)
post #659 of 3812 Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvision View Post

thanks.

yeah i do use the 12v triggers--used to run from the processor to my Panamax power unit to turn on the power bays, then relayed down to the A21 and A51. however, this approach has randomly tripped my home circuit breaker twice, and now i've bypassed the power unit and instead have the processor trigger the A21/51 directly. question is, when powered down the Halo amps would still "glow". does that mean it's still drawing a significant amount of energy? I've touched the amps this morning and they feel cool... (pun!)

According to Parasound both the A21 and the A51 is rated at 25W in standby.

post #660 of 3812 Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinram View Post

According to Parasound both the A21 and the A51 is rated at 25W in standby.

thx... hmm, that sounds like running 2 small filters for an aquarium. good enough i guess.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page