AVS Forum banner
904K views 7K replies 702 participants last post by  chise1960 
#1 ·
I looked around and see no actual Parasound owners thread, lots of off shoots, like an a51 thread and the sort but no official PARASOUND thread, so this is it! We welcome all into here that are looking, have questions about, want to buy, or want to talk about Parasound Halo, New Classic and Z series! Benefits of coming in here is finding out about new things (we've been a Parasound Halo dealer for over 6 years and have a very good one on one relationship with them) getting questions answered and talking to others and getting real life experience... i may be able to coax the Parasound guys to pop in here every so often too :) Remember keep in clean, keep it friendly and my mailbox is always open so shoot me a PM or email if you need to i answer usually within an hour or two!

Thanks for stopping in!

#588 ·
Well, I would say no, but all I have to go by is your experience. If the bypass works and you can control the audio from your NAD without having to switch anything in the back, why bother running both types of connectors to the amp?

The bypass feature seems to be a far better solution.

#589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/18970171

No, I didn't know the C3 was being scraped until it was made public. I said I had RECENT communications, within this past month.

As I stated, sometimes hdmi works and sometimes it doesn't. Just depends on the unit. But it was more than just hdmi, as to why the C3 was scraped, as to my understanding.

If there are too many issues that need to be corrected in an electronic piece of gear, its better dropped and start anew. Much like buying an old house, if you only need to remodel one bathroom, no big deal. But if you end up rebuilding the entire structure, you'll end up spending more, than if you built a new house.

And this explains why so many manufacturers have no issue with HDMI?

I have had at least 3 different brands in the last 3 years( and mutiple units of the same brand but different models)

No issues...whatsoever

Your statement about sometimes HDMI works and sometimes it doesn't......I guess 99% must have gotten it right... I have two units that are 2007 model year technology which as I recall was the first HDMI 1.3 capable units

Your statement about the house is too general..case in point...a historic neighborhood...say in Dallas where I am originally from,......Highland Park....full of old Texas oil money and houses that are 60-80 years old

They don't tear them down...they may do a million dollar remodel...but the house is not coming down

You can take the River Oaks neighborhood in Houston...they are not tearing those down either

If its a house that is a low end unit...sure its torn down

Warren

#590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder /forum/post/18970181

Actually, as a former owner of both an Onkyo Pro 885 & 886, I'd recommend that you take that $2K and get a dedicated 2-channel preamp w/HT, it will solve your problem. For $2K you can get a new Wyred4Sound STP SE preamp with HT and you can pick up a used unit for even less on Audiogon. Before I decided to move up to S Class with my HT pre/pro (Classe SSP-800), I used a STP SE with my Onkyo 886P and it worked great.

The STP SE is a great sounding unit and has the flexibility with outputs needed so you can use it with the sub in your surround sound speaker package. Granted, you won't have Audyssey, but I don't think you'll miss it for 2 channel listening; I didn't.

I am little confused by your message

Are you saying run the 2 channel preamp through the Onkyo for 2 channel?

I assume that is what you meant...and if thats the case then no I will not need Audessey for that

Warren

#592 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/18974626

I am little confused by your message

Are you saying run the 2 channel preamp through the Onkyo for 2 channel?

I assume that is what you meant...and if thats the case then no I will not need Audessey for that

Warren

The Wyred4Sound STP SE is a 2CH preamp with HT Bypass. It is what I have mentioned here and others have as well. You should read up on how HT Bypass works as it is quite a simple configuration that can give you excellent 2 CH SQ with a prepro like the Onkyo

Here is a link to the STP SE, it is an excellent preamp.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s..._groupid=17873

Here is a link to the owners manual of the Parasound 2100. Look at page 8 as it shows a diagram of how to connect the 2100 to an prepro/AVR using the HT Bypass input/ouputs. I own the 2100 and I find it to be a very good preamp. Not in the league of the STP SE but good enough for me

http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/2100Manual.pdf

Bill

#593 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/18974610

And this explains why so many manufacturers have no issue with HDMI?

I have had at least 3 different brands in the last 3 years( and mutiple units of the same brand but different models)

No issues...whatsoever

Your statement about sometimes HDMI works and sometimes it doesn't......I guess 99% must have gotten it right... I have two units that are 2007 model year technology which as I recall was the first HDMI 1.3 capable units

Your statement about the house is too general..case in point...a historic neighborhood...say in Dallas where I am originally from,......Highland Park....full of old Texas oil money and houses that are 60-80 years old

They don't tear them down...they may do a million dollar remodel...but the house is not coming down

You can take the River Oaks neighborhood in Houston...they are not tearing those down either

If its a house that is a low end unit...sure its torn down

Warren

I've read where have been lots of problems with hdmi.

In my example of rebuilding a house depends on the house. To rebuild a normal house, not a huge mansion, if its too far gone, cheaper to tear down and start over.

#594 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/18975425

I've read where have been lots of problems with hdmi.

In my example of rebuilding a house depends on the house. To rebuild a normal house, not a huge mansion, if its too far gone, cheaper to tear down and start over.

There are also significant examples where there are no issues with HDMI..I have owned several units that have had no issues as stated before

I liken the example to some automotive companies have built very reliable cars and other companies have not...does that mean you don't buy a car?

In my example of houses I wasn't talking mansions...in the wealthy areas of Texas( or CA) that would be more than a 1 million dollar remodel

Warren

#595 ·
Guys, I'm putting together setup for a second room and the speakers I'm using fall off naturally around 75hz so I need to use a sub with them, and the P7 is one of the few analog preamps that I've been able to find that has bass management. But I began wondering if I should just use a prepro considering I also need a dac. So, can anyone tell me just how much of a difference I could expect using a C2 vs. a separate dac feeding a P7 for 2.1 music performance. If the difference is small I'd just assume go with the cheaper option. Which would almost certainly be the C2. I'd appreciate any help offered.

#596 ·
Is this for a 2 channel or multichannel system?

#598 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/18981756

Strictly 2 channel. Technically 2.1 since there will be a sub(s).

OK--so why are you looking at multichannel pre-amps and processors?

Why not just look at 2 channel stuff? I'm sure some are available that have subwoofer output.

I would imagine that given the same budget, you would get better performance from a 2 channel setup than multichannel. Why pay for a bunch of channels you don't need and don't plan to use?

#599 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk /forum/post/18981797

OK--so why are you looking at multichannel pre-amps and processors?

Why not just look at 2 channel stuff? I'm sure some are available that have subwoofer output.

I would imagine that given the same budget, you would get better performance from a 2 channel setup than multichannel. Why pay for a bunch of channels you don't need and don't plan to use?

Well, the only two channel preamps I've been able to find with a xover are the Emotiva USP1($400), New Classic 2100($650) and the Outlaw RR2150($700). Not a very long list to choose from. With the additional cost of a dac I started thinking maybe I should just look at some older prepros since I don't need hdmi in this setup. Do you now of any other 2 channel pre's with xovers?

#600 ·
No--but I'm sort of interested in something like that myself.

Why don't you start a thread asking that?

#601 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/0

Well, the only two channel preamps I've been able to find with a xover are the Emotiva USP1($400), New Classic 2100($650) and the Outlaw RR2150($700). Not a very long list to choose from. With the additional cost of a dac I started thinking maybe I should just look at some older prepros since I don't need hdmi in this setup. Do you now of any other 2 channel pre's with xovers?

Hey, Moonhawk, took you advise and got the P7, which I like very much. I bought it for the same reasons....Two channel with bass management, which work well. I could not find alot of pieces that can do both. I have since stopped using a sub with my music, but when I was, it was seamless. The P7 is a great unit...love the sound and it's flexibility. I hope to run a oppo se through the P7, hope that would help me use more of the features of it.

#602 ·
FINALLY hooked up the 7100 over the weekend

I had to dig some things out of storage to listen to it

A Harman Kardon PA2400 2 channel amp, a set of DCM Timeframe 600 speakers and a Harman Kardon CDR2 CD player/recorder

Bottom line...a nice sounding unit...I had forgotten what good speakers can do for a music CD that has a lot of Keyboard or Guitar in it

BUT...the remote is not functioning..it was wrapped in its protective case and batterries were installed. I put fresh batteries in it and nothing

So I called Parasound and faxed over my receipt for the unit..the guy on the phone told me they had actually shipped another remote with this unit starting in about 2008 and that I had the older remote

I told him it didn't matter to me..I just needed a remote

I will keep you posted on the timliness of my receiving a remote and see how good their customer service is

Warren

#603 ·
Did you buy from an authorized dealer with a warranty?

#604 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/18996524

BUT...the remote is not functioning..it was wrapped in its protective case and batterries were installed. I put fresh batteries in it and nothing

So I called Parasound and faxed over my receipt for the unit..the guy on the phone told me they had actually shipped another remote with this unit starting in about 2008 and that I had the older remote

I told him it didn't matter to me..I just needed a remote

I will keep you posted on the timliness of my receiving a remote and see how good their customer service is

If you are using a universal remote such as a Harmony you could get the codes from the Harmony database. This could enable you to use the 7100 till the new remote arrives.

Bill

#605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk /forum/post/18996620

Did you buy from an authorized dealer with a warranty?

Yes..purchased from Ultimate Electronics...an authorized dealer

Warren

#606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/18997136

If you are using a universal remote such as a Harmony you could get the codes from the Harmony database. This could enable you to use the 7100 till the new remote arrives.

Bill

I called Parasound today and they said the remote will be replaced and will likely ship out today or tomorrow...which means I should have the replacement in about a week

I am not using the 7100 for anything other than some occasional CD listening so I can wait for the remote to arrive...not sure I feel like programming the Harmony

I did notice that the remote that came with the unit looks a lot like the One For All unit

I also noticed that my old DCM timeframes sound a heck of a lot better for 2 channel stereo than my Atlantic Technology System 350 does...however as I recall for HT purposes it was quote the opposite

Warren

#607 ·
I have not yet installed the amp. I just got it yesterday and am waiting on a strong shelf for my rack, before inserting. Would like to hear from any 5250 owners about their setup? Anything i should be looking out for when setting up? I will be pairing the amp with a Denon 4310CI.

#608 ·
They do get warm, so just make sure it has plenty of room to breathe.

#609 ·
Hello,

Due to the New Classic Series (5250, 5125, etc) not being biased into Class A Operation like the John Curl Designed Halo Series, it does not run nearly as hot as the Halo's. Or many of the earlier HCA Models that were also designed by John Curl. (Not all HCA Series were Designed by John Curl)

I had a 2250 for around a year until selling it to a friend. It really runs noticeably cooler than my HCA-3500 and HCA-2205AT.

Cheers,

AD

#610 ·
I installed a separate amp with my demon 4310. It is near new, 4 month old parasound 5250. I have it hooked up to five of my front speakers with rears being powered by denon.

All five have a tiny buzz coming from speaker. I have moved as many wires away from interconnects to limit interfence. I also have amp on it's own 15 amp breaker. The amp is set to lift which is a feature the amp has to help with grounding. None of this has helped. Can I get some advice on what to troubleshoot?

#611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback /forum/post/19023257

I installed a separate amp with my demon 4310. It is near new, 4 month old parasound 5250. I have it hooked up to five of my front speakers with rears being powered by denon.

All five have a tiny buzz coming from speaker. I have moved as many wires away from interconnects to limit interfence. I also have amp on it's own 15 amp breaker. The amp is set to lift which is a feature the amp has to help with grounding. None of this has helped. Can I get some advice on what to troubleshoot?

Send an email to Parasound and ask what they think.

#612 ·
try using a cheater plug on amp, it has always worked for me, a cheater is a adapter that makes a 3 prong plug into a 2 prong plug, it is basicly lifting the ground, also, if using a sub, expecially one with a digitlal amp, try unpugging it and see if the hum goes away,

#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer /forum/post/0

try using a cheater plug on amp, it has always worked for me, a cheater is a adapter that makes a 3 prong plug into a 2 prong plug, it is basicly lifting the ground, also, if using a sub, expecially one with a digitlal amp, try unpugging it and see if the hum goes away,

That did the trick. Dead silence... No buzz/hum. Should I take any precautions to prevent some kind of surge given that unit is not grounded.