Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #901 of 3800 Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
by the way, does any Parasound Halo owner here use XLR interconnect for sub? If so which brand/model or types?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3800 Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and a new owner of a Halo A51. I have a few questions I was hoping someone can help me with.

First let me start out with the A51 that I purchased was used, and so this mabey the reasons for my concerns. After opening the box for inspection the first thing I noticed was the left and right heatsinks are not flush with each other. What I mean is that the two individual aluminum heat sinks that run the entire left and right sides are not flush along the top. So I guess my question is, is this normal or could these heatsinks have actually shifted during shipping(I Dought) this or mabey a repair?

My other question is because of this I did not want to set this all up until I plugged it in and just verifiyed if powered up. The Parasound emblem lights up red and the power button lights up blue but none of the 5 channel lights are lighting up. Could this just be because i do not have any speakers hooked up or interconnects yet?

One last thing I would like to know is if the power button is suppose to click when trying to turn on the amp. when I press the power button it has a very soft feeling to it when pressing almost as though its not working correctly, as nothing happens. This could also because i am comming from the Rotel RMB 1095.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help as this is my first parasound amp, and if I am able to post pics of the heat sinks I will do so in another post.

Thanks
post #903 of 3800 Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by stage1 View Post

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and a new owner of a Halo A51. I have a few questions I was hoping someone can help me with.

First let me start out with the A51 that I purchased was used, and so this mabey the reasons for my concerns. After opening the box for inspection the first thing I noticed was the left and right heatsinks are not flush with each other. What I mean is that the two individual aluminum heat sinks that run the entire left and right sides are not flush along the top. So I guess my question is, is this normal or could these heatsinks have actually shifted during shipping(I Dought) this or mabey a repair?

My other question is because of this I did not want to set this all up until I plugged it in and just verifiyed if powered up. The Parasound emblem lights up red and the power button lights up blue but none of the 5 channel lights are lighting up. Could this just be because i do not have any speakers hooked up or interconnects yet?

One last thing I would like to know is if the power button is suppose to click when trying to turn on the amp. when I press the power button it has a very soft feeling to it when pressing almost as though its not working correctly, as nothing happens. This could also because i am comming from the Rotel RMB 1095.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help as this is my first parasound amp, and if I am able to post pics of the heat sinks I will do so in another post.

Thanks

While I don't have an answer for you, in my experience Parasound is very responsive to email inquiries and would be happy to answer your questions.

post #904 of 3800 Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I have two Halo amps and the heatsinks on both are level. Why they aren't on your's I don't know; as you say, it will probably be down to transit damage or repair work.

The power button on the amp doesn't click as such and is just a touch and release kind of thing.

Unless the 'power-up mode' switch on the back of the amp is in the 'manual' position, then the amp (when only connected to mains power) will not fully power up when you press the power button on the front - the five channel LEDs will not light up.

The power-up mode switch on the back has three positions - one for manual (using the power switch on the front), one for signal input sensing (detects an input signal and powers up the amp) and the third one is for when you use a 12 volt input to turn on the amp (from the audio processor, for example).

With the power-up mode switch on the back in manual, after pressing the power switch on the front, both the power switch and all five channel LEDs should be blue after a second or so.
post #905 of 3800 Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I have the A21 and the red P light is what shows on mine. Heatsinks should be flush. I bought mine used also and the front was scratched more than I was told. I now have a connection who gets me parasound parts at unreal pricing. You can get parts to make it look brand new. Take it apart then power it up to see if any bulbs are burnt out. Through my connection I was able to buy a brand new A21 face for cheap that I put on it so it looks brand new. I will never buy used from eBay again only Audiogon. Also, my A21 does click when turning on and it is softer than our Rotels since I have the RBI 1582 also. Since I am running 2 channel with A21 not sure about 5 lights. Hope helps
post #906 of 3800 Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just got my A51 on Thursday and the heat sinks are flush as well. Can you loosen any screws and put them back flush?

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #907 of 3800 Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM

Hey thanks for the replies guys, I definitely have something wrong with this amp. I have back switch in man and when I press the power button nothing happens.

What I find strange, is even though the power light and P are lit up it seems as though there is no current or power in the amp itself. All amps I have ever owned always emitted some small amount of heat even at idle and I mean small amount but this one shows no signs of anything, almost as if it wasn't even plugged in .

I purchased this amp used from Audiogone and was told it was sonically and cosmetically perfect. It was shipped in the original boxes and when it arrived it looked pretty decent.

I called the seller and told him the problem and he told me to take the cover off and check all the fuses, which I did but only visually as I am not qualified to troubleshoot a high end amp. Told him I would call back and decide what to about it. So after 4 calls 2 messages and 1 email he will not respond or answer me back. Can you say ripped off! Sorry I needed to vent but right now I am extremely pissed not to mention out a lot of coin .

Thanks for your replies guys and listening to my rant, I guess I will have to spend more money getting it repaired. Should of just bought it new.
post #908 of 3800 Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
An A21 puts out about 150 watts at idle and likely about the same when driving reasonably efficient speakers at normal volumes so I 'd think an A51 should put out at least the same amount of heat or perhaps more. Sounds like the amp is dead. Sorry, don't know what kind of recourse you have with AudiogoN.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #909 of 3800 Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
A big public THANK YOU to Parasound as a company and Richard in general. Due to an unknown issue my A51 started humming and blew the tweeter out of two of my Kef speakers. Since the unit was still under warranty and purchased through an authorized dealer, Parasound took care of all my issues without questions! Here are my babies:

post #910 of 3800 Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

A big public THANK YOU to Parasound as a company and Richard in general. Due to an unknown issue my A51 started humming and blew the tweeter out of two of my Kef speakers. Since the unit was still under warranty and purchased through an authorized dealer, Parasound took care of all my issues without questions! Here are my babies:

I also had an issue with my Classic 5250 while still under warranty and found Parasound's service to be excellent.

post #911 of 3800 Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I realize I will find biased opinions but wanted to ask anyway. There is likely some b+w 800 series owners on this thread....

I am looking for a power amp match for my B+W 805s, htm4, and in ceiling surrounds HT in which is use 50/50 for music 2.1/HT.

Remove cost from the equation- I can find both used and will pay a little more for the right one.

I prefer to buy the right amp, once and keep it for a long time. Unfortunately I will not be able to try them.

MAC 7106 (in which i would bi-amp to 320wpc x3)- Heard it is warm and very smooth, non-fatiguing.

Parasound A51 (5x250wpc)- Don't need to tell you guys...heard it is very neutral with great mid. Very well built- with ample power - one could keep for life and never look back.

I have acoustically treated my room.

Thanks in advance.
post #912 of 3800 Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All,
I'm a HUGE Parasound fan, but downsizing to make room for a recent arrival. Have been using 2 Parasound 2250 amps in bridged mode (600W into 4 ohms) to power B&W 801s. Sold the speakers 2 weeks ago. Sold one amp locally on Craig's list for $800. Bought 5/3/10 from Audio Advisor. $1350 new. 10 out of 10 cosmetic and functional condition with original double box. PM me if interested.

Arlo

Separately, I also have a Parasound HCA-750 in 8.5 out of 10 condition on ebay. Again, ships in original box.
post #913 of 3800 Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quick Q as a A51 owner... Does the A51 produce the same output with all channels driven (5x250) compared to only 2 channels driven for example? Most receivers (receivers, I know!) have a drop in wpc
post #914 of 3800 Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Quick Q as a A51 owner... Does the A51 produce the same output with all channels driven (5x250) compared to only 2 channels driven for example? Most receivers (receivers, I know!) have a drop in wpc

Parasound is stating 250wpc all driven. So if pushing only two channels its either more or the same. Most likely a bit more.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #915 of 3800 Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Also unlike a lot of amp's, the first 8 watts of the A51 are pure Class A.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #916 of 3800 Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice review of the P7, A-51, and JC-1 this month by Kris Deering in Home Theater. I'm a P-7 and A-21 owner, and they have been very satisfying products.

The only thing I would add is that the P-7 has a very nice phono stage for those of us still spinning vinyl.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #917 of 3800 Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Also unlike a lot of amp's, the first 8 watts of the A51 are pure Class A.

Do you know if that is the same in the A21?

Parasound Halo fan...atic
post #918 of 3800 Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

The only thing I would add is that the P-7 has a very nice phono stage for those of us still spinning vinyl.

I too have a very favorable opinion of the P7 phono stage. (If I only had one like this in my college days!)

Just curious, are you using the MM or MC setting? I'm wondering if the MC stage is good enough to justify investing in an MC cartridge.

post #919 of 3800 Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

I too have a very favorable opinion of the P7 phono stage. (If I only had one like this in my college days!)

Just curious, are you using the MM or MC setting? I'm wondering if the MC stage is good enough to justify investing in an MC cartridge.

I'm using an Ortofon 2M Bronze MM cartridge. I sold a Moon LP3 outboard phono stage after buying the P7. I like it that much.

Maybe one day I'll try a MC cart, but it'll wait until the day comes that I want to spend a bunch of money experimenting with different MC's just to find the right one. The Bronze on my Rega P3-24 seems to satisfy all my needs at this point.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #920 of 3800 Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Hello All.
I'm new to the forum, not so however to Parasound: my system is driven by their amplification (JC1s + JC2 BP). To complete the setup i have recently purchased the JC3. And here is the issue: white noise from the JC3. Audible on both speakers after about "9.15 am" on the volume control; turning the control to the end raises the white noise level correspondingly (no music playing of course!). The noise persists whether or not the turntable is connected to the JC3.
So, assuming there are users of this fine phono stage out there, can any of you tell me whether this is as it should be? The reviews are pretty unanimous in praising the quietness of the preamp. Could there be a technical fault?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

ems
post #921 of 3800 Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 336
^Contact Parasound's tech support via phone or email. They're very good at helping with customer issues.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #922 of 3800 Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maligue View Post

Hello All.
I'm new to the forum, not so however to Parasound: my system is driven by their amplification (JC1s + JC2 BP). To complete the setup i have recently purchased the JC3. And here is the issue: white noise from the JC3. Audible on both speakers after about "9.15 am" on the volume control; turning the control to the end raises the white noise level correspondingly (no music playing of course!). The noise persists whether or not the turntable is connected to the JC3.
So, assuming there are users of this fine phono stage out there, can any of you tell me whether this is as it should be? The reviews are pretty unanimous in praising the quietness of the preamp. Could there be a technical fault?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

ems

wonderful set-up. Too bad you're experiencing noise. I'm thinking may be (home) ground issue?
post #923 of 3800 Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm thinking may be (home) ground issue?

Do you think grounding could cause white noise on the phono pre? Just thinking out loud.
Quote:

And here is the issue: white noise from the JC3. .... The noise persists whether or not the turntable is connected to the JC3.

Please let us know how your problem with the JC3 works out.

post #924 of 3800 Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

Do you think grounding could cause white noise on the phono pre? Just thinking out loud

you never know. But I would do simple experiment:
un-plug A/C power from the JC3. Then play a CD source through the JC2-BP (I assume you have palyer connected to JC2-BP?). Now check/analyze noise? Please let us know?
post #925 of 3800 Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Anyone using the zamp V3 or have any experience with it? I am adding the front wide channels to my system soon and will need a new amp to drive them. Thinking I don't need a whole lot of power to drive a small pair of satellite speakers, the zamp came to mind. All my other amps are Paras so I want to stick with the brand. Just wondering if the amp can handle it.

Thanks.
post #926 of 3800 Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Rocking 11 channels of Parasound amplification now!

-and loving it!

I'll throw in a pic cuz I know how much you love porn. 9 channels for the HT system (rear surrounds, and height), and 2 more for the outdoor system. A51 and two A23's for the HT, and a 275 for the porch/pool. Fired the system up today for the first time. Happy to see they run just slightly warm- not hot at all. Wish I could say the same for my Integra pre/pro. That thing runs HOT. Just ordered a cooling unit for it.

LL
post #927 of 3800 Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 AM

I am in contact with Parasound and we are proceeding step by step testing options. Thanks for your suggestions. Most have been tried. It is interesting to note that the noise level decreases when the cables are changed to unbalanced (I have been using balanced throughout). At present, the suspicion is that the cable from the TT to the JC 3 may be the source/cause of the noise. To test this I need to find someone who has a TT I could borrow for but a few minutes ... Curious how this hobby leads us into cunundrums like these - who has a TT these days ? (Other than old geeks like me
post #928 of 3800 Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

I am in contact with Parasound and we are proceeding step by step testing options. Thanks for your suggestions. Most have been tried. It is interesting to note that the noise level decreases when the cables are changed to unbalanced (I have been using balanced throughout). At present, the suspicion is that the cable from the TT to the JC 3 may be the source/cause of the noise. To test this I need to find someone who has a TT I could borrow for but a few minutes ... Curious how this hobby leads us into cunundrums like these - who has a TT these days ? (Other than old geeks like me

Despite what some young kids think, using a TT is satisfying, especially with the new 180 & 200 gram LPs.
I'm currently using a Marantz 15S1. My old Yamaha DD TT it was next to impossible to get the arm raised high enough to clear those twice as thick 200gr LPs.
As to the noise issue, what TT do you have?
I'm not familiar with the JC3, so I just took a look, I found these:

Mono switch can improve sound of mono and older LPs
Built-in AC line conditioner to prevent AC noise from polluting the circuits
AC polarity reverse switch can reduce hum in many systems

Have you tried reversing the AC line? How about the mono switch?

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #929 of 3800 Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is interesting to note that the noise level decreases when the cables are changed to unbalanced (I have been using balanced throughout). At present, the suspicion is that the cable from the TT to the JC 3 may be the source/cause of the noise

interesting. I'm using a Marantz AV7005 processor, it has both single-ended (RCA's) as well as balanced connections. Many owners claim that the single-ended (un-balanced) are cleaner?
post #930 of 3800 Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

interesting. I'm using a Marantz AV7005 processor, it has both single-ended (RCA's) as well as balanced connections. Many owners claim that the single-ended (un-balanced) are cleaner?

Who does?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page