Advertisement

post #2702 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

Just Purchased a JC2 to play back my to 2 channel . I did not not get the BP as both my blu ray players, Oppo 83,& Pio SC-05, have 7.1 outs.I use the FL& FR in to the JC2. I just had a bad heart attack so I replaced my Bryston BP20 with the JC2 to help with the constant ups and downs to manually control the preamp that was so easy a few few weeks ago yet so hard now. I got a great deal from AudioAdvisor.com. The demo, in black, 2999 shipped and no tax. Comes with full 5 year warranty. It has incredible sound already!. I am using a Halo A52 THX 5 channel amp. This may be the best sounding pre amp I have ever owned. My B&W 805 signatures are smoking right now without even hooking up my sub. For cd playback I have a Krell Showcase DVD and a Bryston BDA-1 DAC and a Rega P3-24 for Vinyl. My recovery is going to be slow but the JC2 is making my time at home a lot easier. biggrin.gif

Can you please explain your hookup and how you are using the JC2 without the bypass to achieve full surround sound?

post #2703 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxx40 View Post

Can you please explain your hookup and how you are using the JC2 without the bypass to achieve full surround sound?

What i did was leave my center, sub, and rears hooked up to my Marantz 8003. I disconnected the FR and Fl outs from the Marantz. I then connected the FR and FL from my Oppo 83 's 7.1 outputs to input 4 of the JC2. The Jc2 now has full volume control to those 2 channels without having to go in and out of the Marantz . So when I play back a movie, the hdmi sends the signal to the Marantz which does what it normally does and sends sound to Rears, Center, and Sub but not to the fronts. I then control the volume of the fronts with JC2 which now has the sound directly in from the OPPO analog outputs. It is really easy and sound blends beautifully with maybe a little tweak with the remote to match up levels. It's a lot better than having the sound out from the Marantz and directly into the JC2 where you have to be so careful that the volume isn't so high it will blow your doors off b4 you match up the 2 volumes of the 2 preamps. In this setup, I play back all my 2 channel music like a separate system via the JC2 to the Halo A52, and when I play back movies, the Marantz works together, with the JC2 ... controlling the 4 channels, and the JC2 controlling the fronts. I think it is cleaner and better than an HT bypass where some pre amps BP don't work so good or introduce hiss and noise... but you must have a blu ray player with a built in decoder and 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs.
post #2704 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

What i did was leave my center, sub, and rears hooked up to my Marantz 8003. I disconnected the FR and Fl outs from the Marantz. I then connected the FR and FL from my Oppo 83 's 7.1 outputs to input 4 of the JC2. The Jc2 now has full volume control to those 2 channels without having to go in and out of the Marantz . So when I play back a movie, the hdmi sends the signal to the Marantz which does what it normally does and sends sound to Rears, Center, and Sub but not to the fronts. I then control the volume of the fronts with JC2 which now has the sound directly in from the OPPO analog outputs. It is really easy and sound blends beautifully with maybe a little tweak with the remote to match up levels. It's a lot better than having the sound out from the Marantz and directly into the JC2 where you have to be so careful that the volume isn't so high it will blow your doors off b4 you match up the 2 volumes of the 2 preamps. In this setup, I play back all my 2 channel music like a separate system via the JC2 to the Halo A52, and when I play back movies, the Marantz works together, with the JC2 ... controlling the 4 channels, and the JC2 controlling the fronts. I think it is cleaner and better than an HT bypass where some pre amps BP don't work so good or introduce hiss and noise... but you must have a blu ray player with a built in decoder and 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs.

I know of what you speak as I have a Simaudio 5.3p that is noisy in bypass mode.

I was looking to purchase a JC2 with BP I am interested if there are any JC2BP users here and can they tell me if there is any noise introduced when in Bypass mode?

post #2705 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have done something similar except that I used balanced out from JC2 to balanced in on my JC1's I then use unbalanced from my marantz pre/pro also to to JC1's
all the rest of the channels from marantz go to to the A51,works great so far have two separate volume controls within the same system no worries about switching inputs and having too much volume

marantz sr9200(pre/pro)parasound A51 A21 JC2 preamp
marantz DV8400 Straight wire interconnects Kimberkable 8TC kimberKable Monacle X
NADM51 Toshiba TW65H80(ISF calibrated) Monitor Audio pl 300 biamped JC1's x4 plc350 gxfx x2 plw 15 Sonos zp90 x2 zp120 s5
post #2706 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbr View Post

I have done something similar except that I used balanced out from JC2 to balanced in on my JC1's I then use unbalanced from my marantz pre/pro also to to JC1's
all the rest of the channels from marantz go to to the A51,works great so far have two separate volume controls within the same system no worries about switching inputs and having too much volume

That might be dangerous if both are on at the same time since the amp would receive both signals.
You might want to check with Parasound about that.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2707 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

That might be dangerous if both are on at the same time since the amp would receive both signals.
You might want to check with Parasound about that.

- Rich
never have both on at the same time been doing it this ways for two months now no problems yet

marantz DV8400 Straight wire interconnects Kimberkable 8TC kimberKable Monacle X
NADM51 Toshiba TW65H80(ISF calibrated) Monitor Audio pl 300 biamped JC1's x4 plc350 gxfx x2 plw 15 Sonos zp90 x2 zp120 s5
post #2708 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

you would have to flip the switch at the back of the amp from balance to unbalanced every time or does the JC1 auto detect signal input?
post #2709 of 3759 Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

you would have to flip the switch at the back of the amp from balance to unbalanced every time or does the JC1 auto detect signal input?
I have to switch a little bit of a pita but it does seem to work very well,also the JC2 has to be on or no signal is outputted from unbalanced,I dont know why that is I did email parasound about this

post #2710 of 3759 Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

never have both on at the same time been doing it this ways for two months now no problems yet

I believe the outputs are electrically connected.
Parasound has warned against connecting both inputs/
Even when off, the signal is going to the other component.

It may be ok, but I would send an email off to Parasound to get their advice.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2711 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Rich

very dangerous.....I wouldn't do it that way either
post #2712 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 02:40 PM

Taken from another forum
Ok, hope someone can give me a lesson. I recently aquired a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp with both unbalanced and balanced outputs. First I hooked up my Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR's to my A21 amp, and I was not pleased with the sound. No depth, soundstage was choked. (gain was adjusted) I then connected my Synergistic Res RCA's to the outputs after disconnecting the XLR's. still not that pleased with what I thought was an upgrade.

In an accidental discovery, I reconnected the XLR's to the preamp WITHOUT ever disconnecting the RCA's. BLAMMO!! What sound I got! almost 5.1-like wide soundstage, reach-in depth, and the detail...let's just say i heard things from my CD's I never heard before.

So...how can this be? Both outputs from the preamp go to both inputs at the amp (balanced and unbalanced). Parasound tells me this is not a detriment to the amp. But I thought you could only use one or the other. Not both at the same time.
Any explanation?

post #2713 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:

very dangerous.....I wouldn't do it that way either
how is this dangerous? as I said earlier I have talked to parasound about it, its all good

post #2714 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

- Rich
No where in any of the manuals does it state not to connect both at the same time

post #2715 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how is this dangerous? as I said earlier I have talked to parasound about it, its all good

guess you'll let us know what happens when you having signals going into both the balanced and the unbalanced at the same time...will the amp decide which one overrides the other?...is the switch on the back of the amp to change inputs just a dummy switch?.....is it an accident waiting to happen?...if it's not recommended to do so..would you really want to risk damage to any of your gear including your speakers?.........rolleyes.gif
post #2716 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:

guess you'll let us know what happens when you having signals going into both the balanced and the unbalanced at the same time...will the amp decide which one overrides the other?...is the switch on the back of the amp to change inputs just a dummy switch?.....is it an accident waiting to happen?...if it's not recommended to do so..would you really want to risk damage to any of your gear including your speakers?.........rolleyes.gif
another one from the same forum and once again I have talked to them about it there is no harm.

I have a Parasound C2 preamp processor normally connected to a Parasound A23 amp using balanced cables. My ground switch was and is in the normal position and the cable switch set for balanced cables. I decided to try adding a set of unbalanced cables between the C2 and A23 based on Evergrey's post. The sound seemed fuller and more detailed through my Salk SongTower Speakers with both balanced and unbalanced cables connected whether the amp was switched to the balanced or unbalanced cable position. The unbalanced position sounded slightly better to me when the sound level was matched.
I do not believe the position of the ground switch is the explanation since mine is set to normal (not lifted). I have noted that even when the switch on the amp is in the wrong position for the type of cables used (that is unbalanced if only balanced cables are used or balanced if only unbalanced cables are used) there is some sound output albeit at a lower level. It may be that the amp is being input by both sets of cables although one at a much lower level that for reasons unknown to me gives a richer sound at the same volume. Then again this may be a placebo effect. In any case it was worth trying as I had the spare cables available. YMMV.

post #2717 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No where in any of the manuals does it state not to connect both at the same time

Other amps had switches to select either input.
Some auto detect the proper connection so I sent an email to Parasound and they replied that the Balanced switch is designed to ground one leg and does not isolate the single ended and balanced questions.

It's your amp, rock on tongue.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #2718 of 3759 Old 11-29-2013, 03:37 PM

And all four JC1's are rocking on and rocking very loud:D

post #2719 of 3759 Old 11-30-2013, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

Other amps had switches to select either input.
Some auto detect the proper connection so I sent an email to Parasound and they replied that the Balanced switch is designed to ground one leg and does not isolate the single ended and balanced questions.

It's your amp, rock on tongue.gif

- Rich

I was told by Tony that this is a no go ! choose one or the other but not both at the same time as its not designed to function this way.
RichB likes this.
post #2720 of 3759 Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

my A52 has t the switch to change from balanced to unbalanced.............if your amp doesn't then I guess it's ok to do so....biggrin.gif
post #2721 of 3759 Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM

I could be mistaken but if you are connecting two components to the same leg of the amp's input (shared by both the balanced and unbalanced in the A21) then you effectively reduce the output impedance of both upstream components, which may or may not be a problem depending on the design of the upstream components. If the output impedance drops below the design range then it is possible that distortion could be introduced into the circuit, which would then be amplified by the A21. I value my speakers too much to take that risk, even if I thought neither the A21 nor the preamp would be harmed by such a configuration.
RichB likes this.

Parasound Halo fan...atic
post #2722 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

But where would the bass management happen? It seems like you would be losing the bass from some of the channels as the two decoders don't know about each other. And you have two different volume controls when listening to multi-channel sources?

I've never had problems with the HT bypass on my stereo preamp, so I'm very happy to use it to switch between HT bypass input (direct non-volume controlled pass through to amp) and balanced XLR input so that both can go directly to the amplifier balanced input.

Since the outputs from your Marantz are volume controlled, you could turn down the JC2 to normal levels, then turn up the Marantz FR / FL outputs into the JC2 to compensate and turn down the rest of the outputs to get proper channel balance - then all decoding would be done in the Marantz and you wouldn't have to worry about insane volume when you switch to 2-channel.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #2723 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The JC2 provides full bass to the front channels..so no sub needed there for 2 channel music ..the Marantz handles the sub as an LFE / .1 for Movie soundtracks as it normally would do....and the settings in the Oppo 7.1 speaker set up..I leave that set to small for the fronts so a bass less signal is sent to the JC2. So in the end I have a 5.1 set up as if the Marantz itself was doing the work and bass management.
post #2724 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I was told by Tony that this is a no go ! choose one or the other but not both at the same time as its not designed to function this way.
The verdict is in. can I quote my question and the answer I received from Parasound today regarding how I have my system setup without getting into trouble?

post #2725 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^Sure ! why not.
post #2726 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Absolutely! You've got our attention and our interest peaked.

post #2727 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

Absolutely! You've got our attention and our interest peaked.

On 11/29/2013 1:50 PM, Darren Br wrote:
> Hello Richard thank you fore the advice I have another question for you can I safely have both inputs on my JC1 hooked up at the same time? balanced out from preamp to balanced in on amps
> from another source use the unbalanced out to the unbalanced inputs on the amps? one source of course being used at a time. Thank you
> Regards Darren

Hi Daren,

It should work ok if neither preamp/processor short circuits its output jacks when it is switched off.
Keep the JC 1 Bal-Unbal switches set to Balanced.

bst rgds,
Richard
RichB likes this.

post #2728 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 02:30 PM

I guess the the key word is "should". Clipping may not be audible to you when you are driving your pre's but it will be "audible" to your speakers. I would be cautious.

post #2729 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On 11/29/2013 1:50 PM, Darren Br wrote:
> Hello Richard thank you fore the advice I have another question for you can I safely have both inputs on my JC1 hooked up at the same time? balanced out from preamp to balanced in on amps
> from another source use the unbalanced out to the unbalanced inputs on the amps? one source of course being used at a time. Thank you
> Regards Darren

Hi Daren,

It should work ok if neither preamp/processor short circuits its output jacks when it is switched off.
Keep the JC 1 Bal-Unbal switches set to Balanced.

bst rgds,
Richard

if you're ok with it go for it , its your gear smile.gif
post #2730 of 3759 Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 PM

It works just fine if you dont think I care about my system think again

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page