Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 3636 Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked around and see no actual Parasound owners thread, lots of off shoots, like an a51 thread and the sort but no official PARASOUND thread, so this is it! We welcome all into here that are looking, have questions about, want to buy, or want to talk about Parasound Halo, New Classic and Z series! Benefits of coming in here is finding out about new things (we've been a Parasound Halo dealer for over 6 years and have a very good one on one relationship with them) getting questions answered and talking to others and getting real life experience... i may be able to coax the Parasound guys to pop in here every so often too :-) Remember keep in clean, keep it friendly and my mailbox is always open so shoot me a PM or email if you need to i answer usually within an hour or two!
Thanks for stopping in!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3636 Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 AM

Oops, wrong door.
post #3 of 3636 Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Why has Parasound delayed the HDP70 until further notice?
post #4 of 3636 Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblasl View Post

Why has Parasound delayed the HDP70 until further notice?

All the new Parasound units have been delayed until everything is just right, they don't want to make the mistake of releasing units that are not 100% ready when they could have waited another 30-60 days and had all the features on it. When i talked to Parasound it sounds as though we will hear more very very shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brad Bossman
post #5 of 3636 Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Last I heard this wasn't a "get everything just right" pause, it was a "we can't sell these in this market condition" statement with a heavy inflection of "we can't afford it right now". Also last I heard it was summer of 2009 at the earliest before they would reassess.

Do you have more recent/different information? Would appreciate more details if you do.

post #6 of 3636 Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post

Last I heard this wasn't a "get everything just right" pause, it was a "we can't sell these in this market condition" statement with a heavy inflection of "we can't afford it right now". Also last I heard it was summer of 2009 at the earliest before they would reassess.

Do you have more recent/different information? Would appreciate more details if you do.

i have heard nothing to that effect whatsoever i will call they guys at Parasound tomorrow and post the official answer tommorrow

Brad Bossman
post #7 of 3636 Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have been using Parasound amplification for well over a decade. My HCA-3500 has been a mainstay in my system throughout multiple makeovers of my system. In addition, I have a HCA-1000a, New Classic 2250, and a HCA-2205.
These other amps are actually offline awaiting a planned secondary HT.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #8 of 3636 Old 03-05-2009, 02:58 PM

I will be getting a Parasound HCA 2205 soon

will these sound good when paired up with Onkyo TX SR 806 or 906? I only need 5.1 channels
I believe these 2 monsters are compatible with eachother right?
post #9 of 3636 Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

I use a Parasond Z amp v3 (previously used a v1). Great little product. The furniture manufacturers have caught up and now make condo sized furniture esp couches. More audio / video manufacturers should make high quality micro sized gear. If I had a choice of two similar performing components - I'd choose the smaller footprint one.

Eric Chong

post #10 of 3636 Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskav73 View Post

A kind of long route to a short question for Parasound Halo amp owners/dealers:

The little bit of reading I did on electronics ('The Art of Electronics', Horowitz & Hill, 1989) explained in easy terms how to create low-noise, high quality devices, which oddly enough seem to be the same principles that JC used for the Halo amps. Based on the reading in the book, the interview with JC readily found on the web (http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/JCinterview.pdf), and some sleepless nights reading about circuit topology/design on various forums (diyaudio, AVS, audioholics), it appears that Class A can help reduce listener fatigue by making the sound more musical (less odd order harmonics). When I e-mailed the support folks at Parasound regarding the Class A biasing of the A21 & A23, they responded that the A21 was roughly 2W/ch and the A23 was roughly 1W/ch Class A biased (kudos to Tom DeFiglio for such a quick response too). That would make sense to me as the latter has half the power of the former.

However, on the diyaudio.com site, John Curl made the comment that only the A21 or JC-1 monoblocks should be considered for serious listening. He made inference to the A23 being a cheaper version of the A21 that uses his design but not his direct input.

(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...&highlight=a21).

Not having an authorized Halo dealer nearby that has both the A21 & A23 to audition side-by-side, I have to resort to asking for opinions on the forum for my buying decision. Has anyone heard a difference in sound quality between the two at lower listening levels (i.e. where the extra headroom of the A21 is not a factor)? Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice, and thanks to pal1982 for starting this thread.

FWIW, I am looking to buy one of these amps (A21 or A23) for my main room (about 18'x15') to drive PSB Imagine T mains (~88/90db SPL/1W@1M; 4ohm nominal & minimum impedance) full range (no subwoofer used), using pre-outs from a Marantz SR5003. Half HT, half music (classical, jazz).

Funny you mention the PSB imagine towers... we are currently looking at them as well as a handful of other speakers to list to to bring as new line our store and i was very impressed As far as the Halo line i have the A21, A23 JC1's and A51, P3 and JC2's to go side by side... i will admit the A21 is kinda a hard to beat amp... the A23 is great... just not a critical listening amp... i would def. go for the A21 of the JC1's! The A21 especially has like unlimited head room... it seems to me like it has more gut... i just have personally never sold much in the A23... but that's just me too... the A21 seems to be very precise in imagine and sound staging as well too... In fact to kinda give you an idea the A21 is running my front speakers in the theater room and the A51 is doing the center and the rears... if that gives you some insight.

Brad Bossman
post #11 of 3636 Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

P.S. I talked to Richard at Parasound yesterday... i can't tell you all what he said... but... the new NC and Halo Processors and NC receiver are still coming just working on the Aydyssey chipset... (i am excited about that!) its going to be an almost fully featured Multi-EQ Audyssey EQ system in the units... and ya never know what else Parasound has up their sleeve :P you can always guarantee they will be current!

Brad Bossman
post #12 of 3636 Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM

I have an A51 on order which should be in this week. It will be powering my Gallo reference 3.1 and AV speakers. This is my first separate power amp ( always just used receivers in the past ) so I am really looking forward to it.
post #13 of 3636 Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMH20 View Post

I have an A51 on order which should be in this week. It will be powering my Gallo reference 3.1 and AV speakers. This is my first separate power amp ( always just used receivers in the past ) so I am really looking forward to it.

Your gonna be thrilled

Brad Bossman
post #14 of 3636 Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hi, I am a new owner of a Parasound 275, just arrived this morning. After auditioning it for only 10mins I must say I am very pleased with my purchase. Crystal clear highs/mids, much better than the old yamaha 2ch amp I was using. For me this is part of my computer system powering Energy C-7 Speakers and Energy ESW-V8 Sub.

post #15 of 3636 Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM

I am brand new to AV and am putting in a HT with Sonance LCR and SUR speakers and JVC front projector. I'm wondering how the Parasound 7100 would compare to newer sound processors like the DHC 9.9 or any others that people would recommend for under $3,500. Thanks
post #16 of 3636 Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Its about time. Actually I just became a Parasound owner recently after much debate. I Have 3 HCA1500A's bridged to my front three and I'm adding 2 more 1500's in 2ch to feed the side and rear four. Absolutely love what I have now, and don't regret not going with the Krell's as originally intended (though the Krells are a little better). The topology of jFet frontend with the Mosfet driver stages really does make for a tube-like warmth and sound with smooth highs reminiscent of my old Hafler Transnova amps. These run much cooler, though. These will be rack mounted as I have two 48" MidAtl racks side by side. Will post more info soon. Dave

post #17 of 3636 Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

P.S. I talked to Richard at Parasound yesterday... i can't tell you all what he said... but... the new NC and Halo Processors and NC receiver are still coming just working on the Aydyssey chipset... (i am excited about that!) its going to be an almost fully featured Multi-EQ Audyssey EQ system in the units... and ya never know what else Parasound has up their sleeve :P you can always guarantee they will be current!

I've been watching Parasound for a long time, and I don't think that being current is something they've ever been accused of.
post #18 of 3636 Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
been looking at parasound amps for awhile, has anyone here mixed the 2 channel amps with other manufacturers amps and noticed a difference in sound?

post #19 of 3636 Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM

i have the A21 doing L and R main duties and the A51 doing center and surround duties..........i am also using the C1 controller...........what are the best settings with this combo ?? is it possible to get HDMI 1.3 or whatever newer version they have with all the new audio codecs with this system ??
post #20 of 3636 Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How does the SQ of the A51 compare with the A21?

Is there a drop in SQ?

Dave

post #21 of 3636 Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 AM

I just got my A51 last week and I love it so far. I'm running my Denon 4308 as a pre/pro now and I've definitely noticed a difference in SQ. The Denon already sounded good using the internal amps but it is definitely better now. The sound is smoother and I can crank the volume higher without distortion (probably not a good idea for my hearing though honestly).
post #22 of 3636 Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by henningh View Post

I've been watching Parasound for a long time, and I don't think that being current is something they've ever been accused of.

Now THAT is funny!

John
post #23 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry i've been gone for a bit... been testing out speaker lines to bring in for a third line of speakers in the store finally settled on 1 i think.. Focal. Well anywhoo... if you are looking for a great deal on some awesome in wall speakers Parasound is doing a blow out of their C260, C 265, C280 speakers and i know ourselves we are doing great deals on them... its a great time to get some great speakers, at a ridiculous price! Also we do a monthly newsletter if anyone is interested please let me know and i can sign you up just PM me and with you email and i will add you! Thanks, it has cool little tid bits, great deals and whats going on in the high end 2 channel and home theater world!

Brad Bossman
post #24 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningh View Post

You mean they will be current or won't be current?

Brad Bossman
post #25 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofrockets View Post

i have the A21 doing L and R main duties and the A51 doing center and surround duties..........i am also using the C1 controller...........what are the best settings with this combo ?? is it possible to get HDMI 1.3 or whatever newer version they have with all the new audio codecs with this system ??

Your doing exactly what i am doing! Awesome setup... how i have mine is the A21 running the mains (its got higher amperage) the a 51 running the center and rears... works stellar... It should sound great No HDMI 1.3 is available yet on the C1 or C2 until the C3 comes out we are about 2 months away... if your BR player can do it and decode it internally do that then run it analog into the C1 pre decoded thats what i did on my Denon 3800 blu ray player and it sounds awesome!

Brad Bossman
post #26 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

How does the SQ of the A51 compare with the A21?

Is there a drop in SQ?

Sorry for the mass posts but trying to answer all the questions lol...

The A21 has a hint of an edge over the A51 just because of the headroom and the higher amperage... how are you looking to use the amps?

Brad Bossman
post #27 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMH20 View Post

I just got my A51 last week and I love it so far. I'm running my Denon 4308 as a pre/pro now and I've definitely noticed a difference in SQ. The Denon already sounded good using the internal amps but it is definitely better now. The sound is smoother and I can crank the volume higher without distortion (probably not a good idea for my hearing though honestly).

I have many a customer doing what you are some ever using the 2800 series and then the Parasound amp... hold strong though the C3 is soon to be released

Brad Bossman
post #28 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the mass posts but trying to answer all the questions lol...

The A21 has a hint of an edge over the A51 just because of the headroom and the higher amperage... how are you looking to use the amps?

Right now I have an Arcam AVP700/P1000 combo. eventually looking to replace or augment both. I don't really need 7channels, but if it sounds better, I could just add the A21 for the L/R and keep the Arcam for the rest. 2ch is my main concern, movies already sound good enough. But a one box solution (A51) is always more convenient.

So are you saying the C3 is still going to happen at some point? Really curious about that one.

BTW, will PM you for the newsletter.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave

post #29 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Right now I have an Arcam AVP700/P1000 combo. eventually looking to replace or augment both. I don't really need 7channels, but if it sounds better, I could just add the A21 for the L/R and keep the Arcam for the rest. 2ch is my main concern, movies already sound good enough. But a one box solution (A51) is always more convenient.

So are you saying the C3 is still going to happen at some point? Really curious about that one.

BTW, will PM you for the newsletter.

Thanks,
Dave

The C3 IS happening i cannot say how i know the powers that be will sear my eyes out and the preform surgery with toothpicks however.... Seriously you will be seeing it... Just to be realistic what i can say is this an economy like this is not ready to bring out 3 new pieces from Parasound doing that would surely hurt them more that help them... look at the companies that have done so... most are hurting more than prospering... the few that have said they will buy are not enough to prompt the release yet... plus there are some changes to the units for the good

I carry Arcam... be happy go do what i did and the other gentleman in here did an A21 an A51... i begged Paul and Richard for an "A71" for years on end... when it came down to it can you imagine how big that thing would be?? How deep? How tall?? How heavy?? No way Parasound could do it and make it furniture friendly so you can do the Arcam and have it sound so/so good as an A51/A21 combo OR do the A51 A21 and live long and prosper... ha ha ha really do the Parasound you should be happy

Brad Bossman
post #30 of 3636 Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what i can say is this an economy like this is not ready to bring out 3 new pieces from Parasound doing that would surely hurt them more that help them...

What other two pieces are they trying to intro?

I carry Arcam... be happy go do what i did and the other gentleman in here did an A21 an A51...

I really only need 5 channels so maybe the A51 would be fine. Just kind of expensive for me right now, with the economy as you mentioned. By the way, my AVP700 has developed a buzz, and my dealer has gone out of business--do you have contact info for an authorized repair center--I am out of warranty.

Thanks

Dave

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page