**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1951 Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just tried a blu-ray movie and everything worked fine. This is very confusing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 AM

Hello! I am planning to buy this receiver because of the ability of HDMI pass through and the 4 HDMI inputs. Right now, I have a 663, but I think I am short with only 2 HDMI inputs in the receiver and no pass through (don't want to hear the news channel using 5.1 or 7.1 channels, just want to listen through the TV speakers).

Now, I have a question about the inputs. I have a PS3 (HDMI), DTV HD (HDMI) and I am planning to add a stand alone BR player (also HDMI). How should I connect them? I read some confussing stuff about the assignable inputs, but ovbiously I don't get it yet.

Should I connect?

HDMI 1->PS3
HDMI 2->DTV
HDMI 3->BR PLAYER (Future)
HDMI 4->DVD/VCR/RECORDER/OTHER? (Future)
HDMI OUT->SAMSUNG 40A650

Will this work? Do I have it right? I think I am confussed about the 1-4 Scenes that says BD/DVD TV CD RADIO (just looking at the manual page 4).

As long I can connect 3 or 4 devices like those I mentioned before, I will be OK.

Thanks!
post #393 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Assignable input capability does not really matter when you plan on connecting only HDMI devices and don't need multi-zone audio.

Sounds like the 665 should world for you.

Scene does not do a lot. It lets you associate a soundfield like Dolby Pro Logic II with an input. You don't need to use scene if you don't want to.

Scene might make it easier to remember some inputs though as you otherwise have to remember what's hooked up to HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #394 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Assignable input capability does not really matter when you plan on connecting only HDMI devices and don't need multi-zone audio.

Scene does not do a lot. It lets you associate a soundfield like Dolby Pro Logic II with an input. You don't need to use scene if you don't want to.

Scene might make it easier to remember some inputs though as you otherwise have to remember what's hooked up to HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.

Thanks a lot man!
post #395 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 AM

Liked: 53
Snake can you try a component adapter with the 360? If you can set a higher resolution with component it would definitely sound like HDCP. The PS3 being older or using computer design might not have had HDCP implemented.

Bob
post #396 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed

Quote:

I have a 663, but I think I am short with only 2 HDMI inputs in the receiver

Same receiver-

With 2 more HDMI inputs..

Same to setup

Quote:

I think I am confussed about the 1-4 Scenes that says BD/DVD TV CD RADIO

You sure you own a 663..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #397 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

work*, not world

post #398 of 1951 Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Hope this is not too off topic but need to replace a "missing" remote for the 665 receiver. I don't see it listed at Yamaha's online site. I have most of the codes on a universal remote, but the special audio choices would not transfer. I called 1-800 Remotes and they did not have any information at this point. If anyone knows how to get one, I would very much appreciate that.
post #399 of 1951 Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

So how does this compare to the Onkyo TX-SR605? The specs are very close, same wattage and features, but I need more HDMI inputs. Is it a worthy upgrade?
post #400 of 1951 Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
I wouldn't consider either one an "upgrade", these are directly competing receivers so it's probably a lateral move. It's just a question of which one has the features you want.

if you are happy with your current setup I would just add an HDMI switch.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #401 of 1951 Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Greetings - I am totally clue less as to everything, so here goes. I just got the 67" samsung dlp led and was trying to figure out a receiver and speakers. The following is currently connected to the TV:

Scientific Atlanta HD box via HDMI
XBOX 360 (including HD DVD palyer) via HDMI
WII via component cables
Original Nintendo (don't laugh - I love Blades of Steel) via composite
VCR - haven't figured out how to connect yet (that you can laugh at)

I was looking at this combo: Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver, YDS11SL Dock & Paradigm Cinema 70 CT System (Bundle) as well as the Kef Wireless Kit (there is no way to run wires to the back speakers).

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

And in return, when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.

Much appreciated.
post #402 of 1951 Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I will tell you what I think you should do. First, look at a good photo of the back of the 665 and download the manual.

Now, map each of your devices to the back inputs.

The two HDMI inputs are a no brainer.

The Wii is going to use AV1 AND audio 1, I believe if it lacks optical ( they released a change to the firmware because there was no initial way to combine component and analog audio - make sure you look at the download section on Yamaha's 665 page to see how they change this.)

AV5 and AV6 probably will suffice for your VCR and Wii

In past Yamaha models, you had more flexibility in juggling remote control input selection against physical inputs, and in mixing and matching video and audio inputs. For example, on my receiver, I can use my DVR video input, with a CD audio input using the input assignment screen.

post #403 of 1951 Old 06-12-2009, 05:54 PM

i am having issues when i switch between my directv hdmi 2 to my blu ray player hdmi1 when i switch my tv says weak or no signal and i have to turn off my reciever and turn it back on many times until it finds the signal getting annoying i just upgraded to jo30 to see if that would help and nothing changed anyone have any thoughts on this matter?
post #404 of 1951 Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scadden24 View Post

i am having issues when i switch between my directv hdmi 2 to my blu ray player hdmi1 when i switch my tv says weak or no signal and i have to turn off my reciever and turn it back on many times until it finds the signal getting annoying i just upgraded to jo30 to see if that would help and nothing changed anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

Is this your first experience with multiple HDMI inputs? You don't provide a great deal of information. It's pretty normal when switching HDMI inputs to have several seconds of lag till the new handshakes take place. Don't be too quick to blame the AVR, because the player and TV are the ones handshaking, although all 3 are taking part in the handshake.

Does your TV have multiple HDMI inputs? If so, try plugging both components directly to the TV and see if the issue persists when you switch inputs. You can also try simply switching inputs on the TV instead of powering off the AVR .... anything to force a new handshake. Even changing channels on the DVR or starting disc playback on the player should force a new handshake.

Some components simply don't like having the HDMI connection interrupted. I'd doubt that BOTH the DVR and player have the same issue, so the TV might be the culprit. Double check your HDMI settings in the AVR, make sure it's not set to send audio to the TV and turn off scaling of the video.
post #405 of 1951 Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM

ok so i have tried all that you said. i have just the one hdmi out going to the tv and two hdmi in to the avr. so the problem i am having is lets say for example i am watching a blu ray and i switch to my directv and switch back i cant get the bluray to come back on even if i stop and then play again to start the handshake over again. i dont know what you mean by turn off scaling of the video i dont see any option for that? i go to hdmi in the setup and it has stuff like hdmi control, through and i have it set for audio just to amp and i have the correct resolution selected for video. i noticed to that if i switch to bluray on my avr then turn on my bd player it works but not if i do it the opposite way just dont know why that would make a difference. and dont know why it would lose it just because i switched for bluray to tv and then back again.
post #406 of 1951 Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ok so i have tried all that you said. i have just the one hdmi out going to the tv and two hdmi in to the avr. so the problem i am having is lets say for example i am watching a blu ray and i switch to my directv and switch back i cant get the bluray to come back on even if i stop and then play again to start the handshake over again. i dont know what you mean by turn off scaling of the video i dont see any option for that? i go to hdmi in the setup and it has stuff like hdmi control, through and i have it set for audio just to amp and i have the correct resolution selected for video. i noticed to that if i switch to bluray on my avr then turn on my bd player it works but not if i do it the opposite way just dont know why that would make a difference. and dont know why it would lose it just because i switched for bluray to tv and then back again.

Set the HDMI "resolution" and "aspect" to "through". Audio output to "amp". See if that helps any.

HDMI handshake is from the connected source to the TV, the AVR is not involved unless the TV is off. Power off - on on the TV should re-acquire the handshake to whatever source the AVR is switched to. Power off - on on any of the connected components should do the same thing. Since it's a pain to power off the BD player and re-start a disc, I'd go with the TV. Changing input sources on the AVR should trigger a new handshake, but one of the components is not playing nice. One of those components is not handshaking properly, I doubt the Yamaha is at fault.

Based on your description, either the player or the TV is at fault. If the DVR always works, then the player is the prime suspect. If the DVR has the same issue as the player, then the TV is suspect. (the player has HDCP, the DVR is a bit different)

Hope this helps.
post #407 of 1951 Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM

so should i set hdmi control to on and then to through right? i appreciate the help love the avr by the way kicks ass just never ran hdmi through an avr before.
post #408 of 1951 Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so should i set hdmi control to on and then to through right? i appreciate the help love the avr by the way kicks ass just never ran hdmi through an avr before.

Not sure what you mean by "HDMI Control". The "standby through" setting shouldn't matter but you can try it both ways.
post #409 of 1951 Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe he means HDMI CEC messages? Maybe it's transmission can be turned off or on.

post #410 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM

yeah i dont know exactly what it means either but that is what it says in the setup under hdmi and then it says control on or off and if you set it to on it automatically switches to through to.
post #411 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Maybe he means HDMI CEC messages? Maybe it's transmission can be turned off or on.

AFAIK, the V665 does not have any CEC support.

Quote:

yeah i dont know exactly what it means either but that is what it says in the setup under hdmi and then it says control on or off and if you set it to on it automatically switches to through to.

"Standby Through" "Audio Output", "Resolution" and "aspect" are the only settings under HDMI according to the manual.

I'll be setting up a V665 tonight and will look for any other settings not covered in the manual.

Assuming your issue is not resolved: have you checked to see if your firmware is the latest version? the available update is supposed to include some HDMI connectivity improvements. "J030" is the latest version. You can see how to check your firmware version by downloading the update pack and looking at the instructions PDF.
post #412 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:18 PM

i just upgraded last week didnt really seem to make any difference at all. i just believe you have to turn the input to the blu ray player then turn on the blu ray player in that order and it seems to work ok just if you switch inputs while watching a blu it wont switch back no pic or audio so i dont know just seems kinda wierd.
post #413 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i just upgraded last week didnt really seem to make any difference at all. i just believe you have to turn the input to the blu ray player then turn on the blu ray player in that order and it seems to work ok just if you switch inputs while watching a blu it wont switch back no pic or audio so i dont know just seems kinda wierd.

Yes, well "weird" pretty much describes the many compatibility issues associated with HDMI and HDCP. You can lay the blame for your issue with either the BD player or the monitor, but if the DVR is OK then the BD player is certainly the biggest suspect. Power cycling the monitor would be the simplest way to force the handshake, since re-booting a BD player can be a longer process.
post #414 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM

yeah i agree with that. but i do sometimes have problems with the dvr everyonce in awhile where i will get audio but not video. but very rare bd connection problem if not started up in right order is almost 100%. but small price to pay for the solid quality of the hd codec sounds. also have a question what you guys think is better dtshd ma or dd true hd
post #415 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

also have a question what you guys think is better dtshd ma or dd true hd

For all intents and purposes, there's no difference. They both deliver lossless audio once unpacked.

The care and quality taken in the mastering and encoding process is what's important, not the way it's delivered.
post #416 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM

this is true well i thank you for helping me out on this subject. good luck with your v665 hope you enjoy it as much as i do
post #417 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Hey guys.

I have 100 watt energy take classic 5.1 speakers hooked up to this receiver.

What should I set the crossover to? 120hz or the 85hz that the autosetup has it at.

How high should I turn the dial up without blowing the speakers.

You guys are definitely experts here................what overall settings would you recommend for a 12x13 room?

In what direction should surround sound speakers be pointed to, etc?

Thanks in advance
post #418 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

AFAIK, the V665 does not have any CEC support.

LOL. the first thing that came out of this V665 carton was a drop-in flyer for the manual detailing HDMI CEC (Control) functions. So this was added to the AVR after the manual was printed and is in the same HDMI menu as the other settings.

I'd highly recommend that this function be turned off if one is having any sort of HDMI issues. It sounds like a nice feature on the surface but has been associated with a wide range of weird HDMI issues. If the TV or player supports CEC, it should be turned off there as well.
post #419 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman99 View Post

Hey guys.

I have 100 watt energy take classic 5.1 speakers hooked up to this receiver.

What should I set the crossover to? 120hz or the 85hz that the autosetup has it at.

How high should I turn the dial up without blowing the speakers.

You guys are definitely experts here................what overall settings would you recommend for a 12x13 room?

In what direction should surround sound speakers be pointed to, etc?

Thanks in advance

YPAO tends to be too generous with small speakers and set the crossover too low. I'd expect those to benefit from something above 100Hz, but let your ears be your guide. YPAO is just a starting point.

How far should you turn up what dial?

Speaker placement should be decided before you run YPAO, and YPAO should be re-run if you change it. The V665 manual has a page on speaker placements that's pretty good.
post #420 of 1951 Old 06-16-2009, 04:54 PM

i have a samsung lcd tv so i should not have the anynet thing turned on then is what the manual is saying and i should have the hdmi control set to off then?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page