post #541 of 1953 Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You're not the first.

A word of advice. When you run YPAO with an external amp in the chain, levels can sometimes be a little off. I assume you're using a sub too. If the levels are all above 0 or below 0, adjust the sub level on the sub until that channel comes out near to 0 in YPAO. Then the rest will be closer to 0 as well. Not a big deal, but when the sub is set too low, the amp will set the other channels lower and also boost the sub. +/-6db is the maximum amount it can compensate. Getting the sub channel near to 0 will improve the balance of the other channels.

If your external amp has a level adjustment, the same thing applies to those channels, try to get them close to 0.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1953 Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Only optical or coax will give you 5.1 audio. You can also run 2-ch analog inputs and pass those to the TV through the AVR. (assuming the TV has stereo inputs) Or run them directly to the TV as well. This also assumes that both source components will output audio from analog and digital at the same time. (most do)

Ok, so I went with HDMI in and HDMI to DVI to the TV, because I wanted to have the pass through. The problem I am having now is that my DVD is not sending through the AUDIO. I get a great picture, the DirecTV DVR works great, video and audio, but for some reason the DVD player just isnt getting any audio.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris
post #543 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:

The most obvious answer would be that you have the pre-out cables connected to the wrong outputs. Also be sure that you do not have speakers connected to those 3 channels on the 765.

I also read in the manual that you shouldn't connect both the pre-out and the speaker out for the same channel. In my case that's what I want to do for the center channel. I was doing that on another receiver with no problems. Can you think of what the reason might be for Yamaha to warn about this.

Thanks Again
post #544 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyrowitz View Post

I also read in the manual that you shouldn't connect both the pre-out and the speaker out for the same channel. In my case that's what I want to do for the center channel. I was doing that on another receiver with no problems. Can you think of what the reason might be for Yamaha to warn about this.

Thanks Again

It would require that the pre amp stage drive both the input stage of the receiver's amp, and the pre out jack at the same time. In other words, it's as if you split the signal.

I don't know if there's any problems with that, and if there are, what they would be.

I know that people sometimes split the subwoofer signal between two subwoofers, which seems to me to be similar to using the receiver's amp at the same time as the associate pre amp jack.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #545 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyrowitz View Post

Thanks Again

Well, the warning from Yamaha is not ambiguous. So I'd have to say that you should contact Yamaha before doing that. The potential effect could range from poor quality to pre-amp damage. I'll ad that since it seems you wish to run 2 center speakers, you will be messing up any chance of accurate EQ and distance adjustment on the most critical channel.
post #546 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Well, the warning from Yamaha is not ambiguous. So I'd have to say that you should contact Yamaha before doing that. The potential effect could range from poor quality to pre-amp damage. I'll ad that since it seems you wish to run 2 center speakers, you will be messing up any chance of accurate EQ and distance adjustment on the most critical channel.

I hear what you are saying. I went from an lsic to a pair of lsi7s as a center channel. One I place above the tv, the other below. It seemed like I was getting better coverage than with the lsic.

But since they state don't... I may just use the preout and split the signal after leaving the receiver. Thanks for all the help.

rpm
post #547 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Going to ask again.

If my 2.0 setup can't take advantage of any of the decoders (PLx Movie/Music, Nero Cinema/Music), then why do I hear a difference between Neural Surround, Dolby Pro, and Straight... with Neural sounding the best?

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole
POWERPROGRESS
post #548 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If your receiver let's you select decoders even though you only have two speakers hooked up, I would not be surprised to hear differences.

post #549 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM

So I should just go with what sounds best?

POWERPROGRESS
post #550 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's all about what you like

post #551 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM

So, I seem to be having some trouble with multi-zone. As it is, it appear that I am unable to select any of the HDMI outputs to go out via ZONE 2. Does anyone know of a way to get HDMI audio out over Zone 2????

Thanks,
Chris
post #552 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The zones are analog only as far as I know. You could hook up an analog audio cable from the device you want zone audio for.

post #553 of 1953 Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 PM

So, this is pretty delayed on my part, but did want to check back in for anyone who may care/run into the same issues I was having passing HDCP through the 665 out of an HTPC.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I was getting HDCP errors when trying to play back any retail Blu-ray discs (think my posts were around page 15?)

After some troubleshooting, I decided to simply take the advice of rdgrimes and use AnyDVD - this worked of course.

I have not yet tried updating my firmware but plan to in the near future to take advantage of remapping it offers. Once done, I will test again just in case this makes any difference in my results.

Thanks again to the great support community here at AVS!
post #554 of 1953 Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 PM

Finally got my cables from Monoprice and I now have my 360 hooked up via VGA direct to TV and optical to receiver. Have Wii hooked up via component to the receiver and composite to receiver as well.

I need to update the firmware to take advantage of assignable audio because using the MULTI function just doesn't cut it. I tried using my 360 as the source to update the firmware but I don't think it plays the CDs in the right bitrate for the receiver because I tried it about 5 times with 4 different CDs burned from a few different burner programs lol

Gonna try it when I get off from work this morning with a standalone DVD player via digital coax.

POWERPROGRESS
post #555 of 1953 Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 AM

I have a 5.1 home theater system measured at 8 ohms. I have two 6 ohm satellite speakers that I would like to add as presence speakers. Does anyone know if I need to keep my Yamaha receive at 8 ohms or 6 ohms? Thanks.
post #556 of 1953 Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

8 ohms

post #557 of 1953 Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

8 ohms

I really appreciate your response.
post #558 of 1953 Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM

Have the Energy RC micro 5.1 hooked up to the V665.

i need help with obtaining some crisp treble with this receiver.
Current settings
Crossover 160hz
satellite speakers:Small
Sub set to 150hz and half volume
YPAO settings 11.0ft
Sound: Flat
post #559 of 1953 Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winners76 View Post

Have the Energy RC micro 5.1 hooked up to the V665.

i need help with obtaining some crisp treble with this receiver.
Current settings
Crossover 160hz
satellite speakers:Small
Sub set to 150hz and half volume
YPAO settings 11.0ft
Sound: Flat

If you have run YPAO in "flat" setting, (and remembered to save the setup), you are getting the best that the PEQ can do with those speakers. Also, you should not use the sub's crossover, it should be set to it's highest point or disabled.

Unless the speakers are severely lacking in high end response, that setup should be plenty bright.

You can alternately use the internal 7-band GEQ, but setup this way is arduous and difficult. YPAO will do a better job.

Also consider speaker placement, room treatments and obstructions that might be impacting what you hear. These will also impact YPAO.
post #560 of 1953 Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM

thanks much, I have sub cross over set to full...no issue there.
The speakers lack extreme high end treble response. But are the most sophisticated in satellites that the market has today. Yes better than Klipsch, Mirage, Def tech etc.

I get nice well balanced sound..but I am trying to get that thump in glass breaking scenes for which I thought I'd need to increase treble. The speakers pump out 100W a channel.
Do I need to do anything with the Sound field Frequencies that will hep. E.g. Cinema mode Dolby surround..advanced menu that displays on the tv?
post #561 of 1953 Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks much, I have sub cross over set to full...no issue there.
The speakers lack extreme high end treble response. But are the most sophisticated in satellites that the market has today. Yes better than Klipsch, Mirage, Def tech etc.

OK, but those 2 things might seem to be contradictory. High end is the one thing that small satellite speakers should be good at.

Quote:
I get nice well balanced sound..but I am trying to get that thump in glass breaking scenes for which I thought I'd need to increase treble. The speakers pump out 100W a channel.
Do I need to do anything with the Sound field Frequencies that will hep. E.g. Cinema mode Dolby surround..advanced menu that displays on the tv?

I'm confused by the term "thump" being used in reference to treble. Most people experience the mid range sounds as "treble", and don't hear much of what comes out of tweeters.

My advice is to double check the setup and do what you can with speaker placement and room treatments. Then listen to this setup for a few weeks and see if you don't learn to like it. People get used to hearing a certain sound and tend to like that whether it's accurate or not, but you can re-learn with a more accurate setup. It's pretty rare for someone to say that a "flat" setup on a Yamaha is not bright enough.

One other thing you can try is to run YPAO with the "front" setting. Sometimes this will compensate for placement issues and give a more balanced sound. Also be sure to measure the actual distances and make sure YPAO has gotten that right.
post #562 of 1953 Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

Have the Energy RC micro 5.1 hooked up to the V665. i need help with obtaining some crisp treble with this receiver.

I would try turning YPAO off just to see if it was rolling off the high frequencies (but more than likely it isn't doing that in Flat mode).

Then there's always the the good old tone control. Turn up the treble a few dB and see how it sounds. It only affects the front L/R speakers, but it still might do what you want and you don't have to turn off YPAO to use the tone control.

You might also get used to the Energy sound after a while.
post #563 of 1953 Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 AM

Liked: 11
NewEgg has the RX-665 on sale for $349.99 shipped. When I found out this offer late last night (7/17), they also throw in free set of Energy Take 5 speakers.. I am sorry to say the free speakers bundle already expired at midnight but the $349.99 price still works.
post #564 of 1953 Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post

Now I'm into completing the setup of my remote control and am a little confused about setting the TV code. Here's my configuration - I have my Motorola cable box coming in on HDMI 2, I have the receiver HDMI Out plugged into my Toshiba DLP set.

I understand that for setting my cable box code, I simply press the code set button, press the input source (in this case HDMI 2), then enter my cable box's Motorola code. Simple, No problem, done.

But when it comes to setting the TV code so I have full time TV controls via the "TV section" of the remote (#21 in the manual), I don't understand it. If I follow the instructions on page 59, there is no "INPUT" selection button to choose - my TV is an output, not an input. What is the sequence of events I need to do in order to set my TV code? I expect I'm just thinking too deep on this one and it's probably a stupid question.

I have the same question of how to set the TV code. Doesn't get get mentioned in the manual. Any ideas?
thanks, BJay
post #565 of 1953 Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJay View Post

I have the same question of how to set the TV code. Doesn't get get mentioned in the manual. Any ideas?
thanks, BJay

Me too. There must be a way but I've tried different things and no joy.

I tried Googling and came up with only more questions. Apparently the V765 also uses the RAV-290 remote, but I haven't looked into that manual yet.
post #566 of 1953 Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Is there a big difference between the 665 and 765? And if I can get the 765 for $35 more than the 665, should I?
post #567 of 1953 Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noswttea4u View Post

Is there a big difference between the 665 and 765? And if I can get the 765 for $35 more than the 665, should I?

The only meaningful difference is the amp section, which is much larger on the 765. Physical dimensions and weight are also quite different. But the front end function and remote are the same. If you intend to drive decent speakers with it, go for the 765.
post #568 of 1953 Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 AM

Liked: 53
For $35 more I'd defiitely go with the better amps.
post #569 of 1953 Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noswttea4u View Post

The 665 uses Samsung amp modules, where the 765 uses discrete amp circuitry.

The 765 likely has a larger power supply transformer based on the specs I have seen.

If I recall correctly, you can compare the consumption figures in the manual - 765 is maximum 590; 665 is 490.

post #570 of 1953 Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 AM

Quick question on the power supply, is the US model 110v/60hz to 220v/50hz switchable? Manual indicates it is but want to make sure before I order one from the states.

Thanks,
Robert
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page