**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1951 Old 02-28-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The 659, in my opinion, was kind of a star in the the 6xx lineage. Audioholics bench tested it, and it was impressive. I own the 657, and use it in my bedroom system and I love it. I only replaced it, because I wanted the wiring simplicity of HDMI. Wiring is the ONLY simplicity of HDMI! It's a pain in other ways, but it works for the most part.

If you have sufficient inputs on the 659, I would stick with it for awhile. Lossless audio is of questionable value, see the AVR FAQ for a discussion of why.

Reasons to upgrade your 659 -

* You need more inputs
* You have a Blu-ray player, and you are losing sleep over not having lossless audio (I think some people do )
* You want better room correction ( Maybe look at Audyssey equipped receivers, but the newer versions of YPAO seem a bit better)
* You want Dolby Dynamic Volume (Which sounds great, but Yamaha has not gotten this yet; Yamaha's adaptive DRC is not the same thing either)

I personally went with the Yamaha RX-V3900. But I wanted it's specific feature set, and was willing to part with over $1500. Most people aren't.

One option is to get a newer model, like the 665 and then buy an amplifier like the Emotiva XPA-3 ( $600 not including shipping.) That way, you can live with the lower powered Yamaha models (when compared to your 659.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1951 Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the 665 and 765 have the same dac's as the 663? I've been looking to pull the trigger on the 663 or the pioneer 1018 but now there is a 665 and 1019 out there. I'm primarily looking to use it as a processor. Not too concerned with video processsing just passthru switching. I have a powerful, clean, sweet sounding B&K amp so preouts are a must. Really just conncerned with sound processing quality.
post #33 of 1951 Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

1. Does it pass BTB and WTW over HDMI?

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the amplifier!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

6. Does it display volume information over the OSD?

7. Is the OSD an overlay?

If they have not solved all of those issues then the RX-V663 is still a better receiver.

Have some answers...
yes. v365 to v765 all pass BTB/WTW.
4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!
Non-Aluminum front panel, Less heat sinks due to the hybrid amp, causes the weight loss
No volume over OSD
It switches to OSD
post #34 of 1951 Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 AM

Any thoughts on the 665 vs the 663? I've been looking to upgrade my receiver and I'm trying to make a decision between the new and old 66X's. For 665, I like the 4 HDMI inputs and the improved DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA display on the front. And passing BTB/WTW is nice but a bit of a red herring. But I'm concerned about the 665's weight loss and degradation of the amp. I only have 2 HDMI inputs now (D* and Blu) so while future-proofing is nice and seeing DTS-MA in easy-to-read letters on the display is nice, I don't want to trade those against a lower quality amp.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 663. Anyone care to tell me if that is the right or wrong decision?
post #35 of 1951 Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What's this hybrid amplifier? Has Yamaha gone with something like class H ?

post #36 of 1951 Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 AM

I think i'll keep my 663!! Nothing really stands out making it worth updating.
post #37 of 1951 Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

What's this hybrid amplifier? Has Yamaha gone with something like class H ?

I too would like some more info on the hybrd amp, if anybody has anything to add.
post #38 of 1951 Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Just bought a 663 for $400 at ABT near Chicago today. Their online price is still $500. If you're in the market and near Chicago, it's worth the drive.

As I posted earlier, the 665 weighs less due to power changes. The new UL rating and channel output ratings from Yamaha tell the story.

There hasn't been a meaningful new amplifier design in 20 years, so no "hybrid" amp is going to drop all those pounds and magically consume 130 less watts from the wall while still providing comparable output to the speakers without compromising quality. Perhaps a side by side listening test would prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I am a Yamaha fan, but the 663 still looks superior to me even if I didn't catch a great sale. To each his own. I'm happy to buy last years model.
post #39 of 1951 Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And no one has posted anything explaining the hybrid thing. There's been one comment to that effect, and no other information. So I am not convinced about the hybrid thing as this time.

post #40 of 1951 Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM

I ordered the 663 from 6th ave on Friday (got the AVS member deal from Roberto at x8609). I agree with Thaumaterge that the 665 has less power. And I'd rather have more power than more HDMI inputs so I bought last year's model as well.
post #41 of 1951 Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

And no one has posted anything explaining the hybrid thing. There's been one comment to that effect, and no other information. So I am not convinced about the hybrid thing as this time.

The service manual would probably clear things up a lot, but I think Yamaha are guarding them more closely than they have in the past (maybe for good reason).
post #42 of 1951 Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastek View Post

Have some answers...
yes. v365 to v765 all pass BTB/WTW.
4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!
Non-Aluminum front panel, Less heat sinks due to the hybrid amp, causes the weight loss
No volume over OSD
It switches to OSD

Thanks, do you know if the new receivers will display Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA on the front panel instead of the word "Straight" like the 663 and 863 do?
post #43 of 1951 Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Thanks, do you know if the new receivers will display Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA on the front panel instead of the word "Straight" like the 663 and 863 do?

I think so, because the 665 manual says the INFO button on the remote lets you choose whether to display Input, DSP Program, or Audio Decoder on the front panel. Hopefully someone will actually be able to confirm this soon.
post #44 of 1951 Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastek View Post

• High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction

Does anyone know if the Burr Brown DAC's are an improvement over the 663 series?

I'm in the market for a receiver with all the bells and whistles and pre-outs so the power issue isn't a big deal to me.
post #45 of 1951 Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 AM

I'd like to buy a 665 but I'm italian. Anyone know when will new Yamaha amplifiers be available in Europe?
post #46 of 1951 Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM

I ordered the RX-V665, so I will have answers in April when it is released.

I think the weight loss has alot to do with the fact that the 663 has external power outlets (two of them) and the 665 has none, which would make it have 100 watts less draw...

power consumption for the 663 is 400 watts.
power consumption for the 665 is 270 watts.

I think the 665 power supply is only 30 watts less since the 665 does not have external outlets to increase it another 100W.
post #47 of 1951 Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM

What's the official release date on the 665?

I'm in Canada but if it released earlier in the states i'll just order online

Question: Does an AVR having less power mean that it wil affect sound quality, or will it only affect max volume of speakers?
post #48 of 1951 Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM

I recommend that those of you who are thinking about buying the RX-V665 read this article first.
http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

Its about manufacturers trading amplifier quality for features. Note the specs chart comparing the 665 to the 663.

Also note, in the article, that many budget receivers have poor quality preamp outs (for an external amp).

A quote: " Don't just run out and buy the latest model because it's newer. Stop and think if the model you currently have meets the performance vs feature balance that is right for your needs and how the newer so called "improved" model fits into that equation. All the features in the world can't replace clean undistorted dynamics which we believe makes up most of the WOW and magic in the newer HD audio formats. "

This is an excellent article, IMO.
post #49 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gene always writes great stuff!
post #50 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 AM
s44
Advanced Member

Would definitely like to see the budget receiver pre-out test.
post #51 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No surprises from that article. I hate to sound like a broken record, but there's no current reason to believe the 665 did not lose power when it's power consumption specs, and weight both dropped.

As for his comments on receiver pre amp stages, they seem fair. Seems some have had success running 663 as a pre amp, so maybe the 665 will be good enough.

It makes sense to avoid amps that require 2v to drive to full power though.

post #52 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 AM

I am considering buying this or the new 765 model. I have two questions that I was hoping someone here can answer first.

1. How does Yamaha's YPAO system on these models compare to the Audyssey MultEQ used by other manufactures? I have read several reviews that indicate the Audyssey system analyzes in real time while YPAO does not, giving Audyssey the edge and better sound. Has that changed with these new models from Yamaha?

2. Are these units multisource or just multizone? Also, yamaha says the second zone can be controlled from the front of the receiver. Does that mean you can not control the second zone from a remote control? I have a Harmony 890 for the second zone and want to make sure my wife or I can turn-on the second zone, select an input, and adjust the volume remotely without interfering with anyone using the main zone in the other room.

Thank you for the help!
post #53 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post

I am considering buying this or the new 765 model. I have two questions that I was hoping someone here can answer first.

1. How does Yamaha's YPAO system on these models compare to the Audyssey MultEQ used by other manufactures? I have read several reviews that indicate the Audyssey system analyzes in real time while YPAO does not, giving Audyssey the edge and better sound. Has that changed with these new models from Yamaha?

2. Are these units multisource or just multizone? Also, yamaha says the second zone can be controlled from the front of the receiver. Does that mean you can not control the second zone from a remote control? I have a Harmony 890 for the second zone and want to make sure my wife or I can turn-on the second zone, select an input, and adjust the volume remotely without interfering with anyone using the main zone in the other room.

Thank you for the help!

1) YPAO is a simple parametric EQ
2) Not sure what that distinction is; The most important thing to know about zones is that they are analog only; Read the manual for specifics on how inputs are selected on a per zone basis

post #54 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... How does Yamaha's YPAO system on these models compare to the Audyssey MultEQ used by other manufactures? I have read several reviews that indicate the Audyssey system analyzes in real time while YPAO does not, giving Audyssey the edge and better sound. Has that changed with these new models from Yamaha?

Be careful with receivers that use Audyssey because there are several different levels: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multEQ_products.html. Low-cost receivers may only have Audyssey 2EQ, which doesn't EQ the subwoofer at all. MultEQ and MultEQ XT are usually only on higher end products. Also, as soon as you want to make any manual adjustments to the EQ, Audyssey is turned off and you just get the same kind of parametric EQ that Yamaha uses.
post #55 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 AM

Thanks, guys. I am only looking at Denon or Onkyo units with MultiEQ as I am aware of the limitations of 2EQ.

1. Okay, so if YPAO is a simple parametric EQ, does that mean Audyssey, assuming you don't want to make any manual adjustments, gets better results?

2. The distinction is that I want to be able to control the AVR from the kitchen and not have to run down stairs to the HT in the basement to turn on, adjust, or use the second zone. If the controls on the front panel of the 665/765 are the only way to control it, neither of these will work for me. The specs and features of the 665 and 765 only indicate controls on the front panel, hence my concern.

I would love to read the manual, but I can't find it. Yamaha's website offers it for ~$6, but I am not willing to pay for it to simply do pre-sale research. Can you provide a link to it somewhere else?
post #56 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

I would love to read the manual, but I can't find it. Yamaha's website offers it for ~$6, but I am not willing to pay for it to simply do pre-sale research. Can you provide a link to it somewhere else?

There's no charge for downloading manuals, you only need to register for "EasyPass".
post #57 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... so if YPAO is a simple parametric EQ, does that mean Audyssey, assuming you don't want to make any manual adjustments, gets better results?

A lot of people would probably agree that Audyssey MultiEQ can theoretically get better results than YPAO, but who knows what will happen in your particular room. If your room is pretty good acoustically, the EQ won't be doing too much anyway.
post #58 of 1951 Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There's no charge for downloading manuals, you only need to register for "EasyPass".

Thanks, that was the tip I needed. I registered and now have the manual. I appreciate the help.
post #59 of 1951 Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

This receiver has radio, but not HD radio (hybrid digital). Why only these expensive pay-to-listen services? It seems like some anti-trust action should be happening here. You get an almost everything package except for the one that is free. It clearly is an abuse of the public interest. XM and Sirius both use the public airwaves, charging people for the content, this device unfairly puts them at an advantage. HD radio at least makes possible radio that could meet local community information needs. XM and Sirius aren't much help warning you about the next tornado, flood or bad weather condition. Oh and what about what your city council is up to, what your mayor or state government is doing?. Local origination of programming should be the BASE of services, with national programming like that available thru the satellite radio as the luxury, not the other way around with the pitiful analog radio as the consolation prize. HD radio may be able to help the distortions in commercial radio, at least by allowing public stations to provide more program choices.

I won't buy a receiver that doesn't also have HD radio. With the economic crisis as it is, many people may not be able to afford the pay-for services and thus have a crippled largely useless receiver. Just imagine what happens if XM and Sirius fail, what a piece of expensive largely useless hardware you have.

The price point is high, and you really get less than you might think. The fact that it doesn't play lots of local programming makes it a net loser. Imagine if you lose your job need to cut your expenses, lose the satellite service and can't even sell the thing.

I wish the FCC would step in and require all these receivers to fully pick up all the free public stations.

John
post #60 of 1951 Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I guess unlike the change from 657-659-661-663 the change to 665 seems to be drastic (power supply) unless it is a typo. 28lb instead of 18 lb :-) but if they are using spring clips for speaker binding posts then it may not be a typo :-) If you see spring clips on the back of a speaker or receiver or amp you should stay away from them :-)

I thought you were just joking. But now that I see the back of the 665 from the image at the Yamaha web-site - IT HAS SPRING CLIPS FOR THE ZONE 2/PRESENCE SPEAKERS!

Everyone - see for yourself -

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...?CNTID=5028382

It's a sad, sad day for the 66x series...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page