AVS Forum banner

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread

386K views 2K replies 386 participants last post by  edreifuss 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd forward the fact that Yamaha just release all new RX-V_65 AV Receiver series
RX-V665 on Yamaha website

RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

Fully compatible with HD audio and video. Featuring HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out), 1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct, YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features.

MAIN FEATURES
  • Advanced Features
  • New SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio) - quick and simple to use
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • iPod compatibility via optional YDS-11 Universal Dock
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • On-screen display
  • Front panel mini jack for connecting portable audio player
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • HDMI CEC functionality
  • Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting
  • New preset remote unit
  • High Picture Quality
  • Analog video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out)
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 120Hz/24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction
  • Surround Realism
  • CINEMA DSP (17 DSP programs) with Adaptive DSP Level
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-240ms)
  • Versatile Zone Control
  • Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Lots of great features on the unit would like to know what you all think about it...just pulled all the stuff from the Yamaha website today

So hopefully someone finds the answers to these questions...regarding the RX-V665

1. Does it pass BTB and WTW over HDMI?

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

6. Does it display volume information over the OSD?

7. Is the OSD an overlay?

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15878578

"its upconversion quality was subpar". The 663 converts analog to digital without any quality loss. I think what they were trying to say was that its upscaling was subpar and everyone else knows it does not do that at all. They have no idea what they are talking about.

I think they were directly refering to their own review of the 663....

"instead of getting analog upconversion to 1080p or 1080i--which nearly all of its competitors have--you're stuck with simple 480p upconversion."

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastek /forum/post/15866042

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

The answer to this question is Yes it will display the decoder being used in large font across the front panel(Page 24 of the Yamaha RX-V665 manual confirms this).

I am not sure what syntax it will use be it will be easy to tell if it is DD-TrueHD or DTS-MA with the 665. It was very difficult to read in on the 663.

This is a huge plus for me but others might not care that much.

#29 ·
I have been thinking of replacing my 659 to take advantage of the hdmi connections and Tru-HD, etc. But...looking at the 663 and now the new 665, 565 and 464 I may just keep my 659 and wait for another year to pass or look at another brand...Denon.

I do not like the way Yamaha has cheapened these models compared to older models. I do like the new display screen...it seems much cleaner and easier to see...but I do not at all like the blade connectors for speakers on the 565 and 465...no on screen display, 5.1 channels only for the 465...no pure direct, XM/Sirius or Zone 2 for the 565.

They upped the prices, lowered the quality and axed features depending on the model. I'll bet Yamaha takes a pretty big hit on sales this year.

I think I'll keep my 659 and use the money I was going to spend on a receiver and buy a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 v.5's instead. I just don't think I'll notice the differences in audio between my 659 and a newer receiver to get the latest audio compared to what my 659 pushes through now.

Anyone have comparison info they can share to corroborate or shoot down my opinion would be very appreciated.

#31 ·
The 659, in my opinion, was kind of a star in the the 6xx lineage. Audioholics bench tested it, and it was impressive. I own the 657, and use it in my bedroom system and I love it. I only replaced it, because I wanted the wiring simplicity of HDMI. Wiring is the ONLY simplicity of HDMI! It's a pain in other ways, but it works for the most part.

If you have sufficient inputs on the 659, I would stick with it for awhile. Lossless audio is of questionable value, see the AVR FAQ for a discussion of why.

Reasons to upgrade your 659 -

* You need more inputs

* You have a Blu-ray player, and you are losing sleep over not having lossless audio (I think some people do
)

* You want better room correction ( Maybe look at Audyssey equipped receivers, but the newer versions of YPAO seem a bit better)

* You want Dolby Dynamic Volume (Which sounds great, but Yamaha has not gotten this yet; Yamaha's adaptive DRC is not the same thing either)

I personally went with the Yamaha RX-V3900. But I wanted it's specific feature set, and was willing to part with over $1500. Most people aren't.

One option is to get a newer model, like the 665 and then buy an amplifier like the Emotiva XPA-3 ( $600 not including shipping.) That way, you can live with the lower powered Yamaha models (when compared to your 659.)

#32 ·
Does anyone know if the 665 and 765 have the same dac's as the 663? I've been looking to pull the trigger on the 663 or the pioneer 1018 but now there is a 665 and 1019 out there. I'm primarily looking to use it as a processor. Not too concerned with video processsing just passthru switching. I have a powerful, clean, sweet sounding B&K amp so preouts are a must. Really just conncerned with sound processing quality.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15867159

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the amplifier!

If they have not solved all of those issues then the RX-V663 is still a better receiver.

Have some answers...

yes. v365 to v765 all pass BTB/WTW.

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!
Non-Aluminum front panel, Less heat sinks due to the hybrid amp, causes the weight loss

No volume over OSD

It switches to OSD

#34 ·
Any thoughts on the 665 vs the 663? I've been looking to upgrade my receiver and I'm trying to make a decision between the new and old 66X's. For 665, I like the 4 HDMI inputs and the improved DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA display on the front. And passing BTB/WTW is nice but a bit of a red herring. But I'm concerned about the 665's weight loss and degradation of the amp. I only have 2 HDMI inputs now (D* and Blu) so while future-proofing is nice and seeing DTS-MA in easy-to-read letters on the display is nice, I don't want to trade those against a lower quality amp.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 663. Anyone care to tell me if that is the right or wrong decision?

#38 ·
Just bought a 663 for $400 at ABT near Chicago today. Their online price is still $500. If you're in the market and near Chicago, it's worth the drive.

As I posted earlier, the 665 weighs less due to power changes. The new UL rating and channel output ratings from Yamaha tell the story.

There hasn't been a meaningful new amplifier design in 20 years, so no "hybrid" amp is going to drop all those pounds and magically consume 130 less watts from the wall while still providing comparable output to the speakers without compromising quality. Perhaps a side by side listening test would prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I am a Yamaha fan, but the 663 still looks superior to me even if I didn't catch a great sale. To each his own. I'm happy to buy last years model.

#39 ·
And no one has posted anything explaining the hybrid thing. There's been one comment to that effect, and no other information. So I am not convinced about the hybrid thing as this time.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15992272

And no one has posted anything explaining the hybrid thing. There's been one comment to that effect, and no other information. So I am not convinced about the hybrid thing as this time.

The service manual would probably clear things up a lot, but I think Yamaha are guarding them more closely than they have in the past (maybe for good reason).

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastek /forum/post/15954307

Have some answers...

yes. v365 to v765 all pass BTB/WTW.

Non-Aluminum front panel, Less heat sinks due to the hybrid amp, causes the weight loss

No volume over OSD

It switches to OSD

Thanks, do you know if the new receivers will display Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA on the front panel instead of the word "Straight" like the 663 and 863 do?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/16001813

Thanks, do you know if the new receivers will display Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA on the front panel instead of the word "Straight" like the 663 and 863 do?

I think so, because the 665 manual says the INFO button on the remote lets you choose whether to display Input, DSP Program, or Audio Decoder on the front panel. Hopefully someone will actually be able to confirm this soon.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastek /forum/post/15866042
  • High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction

Does anyone know if the Burr Brown DAC's are an improvement over the 663 series?

I'm in the market for a receiver with all the bells and whistles and pre-outs so the power issue isn't a big deal to me.

#46 ·
I ordered the RX-V665, so I will have answers in April when it is released.

I think the weight loss has alot to do with the fact that the 663 has external power outlets (two of them) and the 665 has none, which would make it have 100 watts less draw...

power consumption for the 663 is 400 watts.

power consumption for the 665 is 270 watts.

I think the 665 power supply is only 30 watts less since the 665 does not have external outlets to increase it another 100W.

#48 ·
I recommend that those of you who are thinking about buying the RX-V665 read this article first.
http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

Its about manufacturers trading amplifier quality for features. Note the specs chart comparing the 665 to the 663.

Also note, in the article, that many budget receivers have poor quality preamp outs (for an external amp).

A quote: " Don't just run out and buy the latest model because it's newer. Stop and think if the model you currently have meets the performance vs feature balance that is right for your needs and how the newer so called "improved" model fits into that equation. All the features in the world can't replace clean undistorted dynamics which we believe makes up most of the WOW and magic in the newer HD audio formats. "

This is an excellent article, IMO.

#51 ·
No surprises from that article. I hate to sound like a broken record, but there's no current reason to believe the 665 did not lose power when it's power consumption specs, and weight both dropped.

As for his comments on receiver pre amp stages, they seem fair. Seems some have had success running 663 as a pre amp, so maybe the 665 will be good enough.

It makes sense to avoid amps that require 2v to drive to full power though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.