post #631 of 1951 Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

The 665 actually prevents output from the preout jacks when the speakers are on? That's interesting. I think on the 3900 there is no such restriction. I am not sure I have tried it though.

I think the reason for such a restriction is that the pre amp stage has to drive both the receiver's amp stage and whatever is hooked to the pre out jacks.

I am not sure why this is a problem though, as people use Y cables on subwoofer outputs all the time and report no issues. In my mind, that's the same thing as using pre out jacks and speakers at the same time.

I think a Y-cable on the preouts presents a different load on the preamp than the use of the internal amp does. But what do I know? But my presumption is the the pre-outs are somehow protected in that regard. Perhaps the voltage is different to the internal amp vs external. The V665 certainly allows you to mix and match the channels with internal and external amps on different channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1951 Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would this work? Switch to "7ch Stereo" mode and use any of the other channels preouts to drive the phones.
post #633 of 1951 Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think a Y-cable on the preouts presents a different load on the preamp than the use of the internal amp does. But what do I know? But my presumption is the the pre-outs are somehow protected in that regard. Perhaps the voltage is different to the internal amp vs external. The V665 certainly allows you to mix and match the channels with internal and external amps on different channels.

The cost of adding speaker ouput sensing and disable preout circuit is probably higher than the cost just adding another set of output opamp buffer to alloow both output at same time. I would say this is either a case of poor engineering design or more likely a maarketing decision to "up sale" people need both output enabled to a higher priced model.
post #634 of 1951 Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell View Post

Would this work? Switch to "7ch Stereo" mode and use any of the other channels preouts to drive the phones.

7-ch stereo is a pretty horrible feature that should be avoided except for loud parties where AQ is not important, and preferably with stereo sources only. What it does is down-mix all channels to 2-ch, then output those 2 channels to all connected channels. Sounds awful. You'd be better off to just use stereo analog ins and outs, which is the solution to the headphones question anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog View Post

The cost of adding speaker ouput sensing and disable preout circuit is probably higher than the cost just adding another set of output opamp buffer to alloow both output at same time. I would say this is either a case of poor engineering design or more likely a maarketing decision to "up sale" people need both output enabled to a higher priced model.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that it prevents multi-zone setups. Being that all this stuff is on chips now, it's also possible that some chip just doesn't support it. I prefer to deal with how it is rather than how it could be.
post #635 of 1951 Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
hey guys,

any differences between the 665 and 765 except the 5watts per channel more on the 765? i'd compared the specs at the Yammie site and did not see any other differences.
post #636 of 1951 Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

hey guys,

any differences between the 665 and 765 except the 5watts per channel more on the 765? i'd compared the specs at the Yammie site and did not see any other differences.

The 2 are identical except for the amp section, size and weight. The 765 has the same amp as the V663. There is, in reality, likely to be a good deal more difference than 5W RMS with all channels driven.
post #637 of 1951 Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

hey guys,

The 665 uses what IMHO three very poor Sanyo STK hybrid amp ICs. According to Yamaha’s web site, the 765 uses discrete amp. The discrete amp in the 765 should be much better than the Sanyo IC even if they are at same power rating! The 765 is also 5.6lb heavier, for a bigger a better power supply section. On the other hand, if you are like me only use the reciver as pre/pro, there is no real reason to pay for better amp section.

BTW, you want to compare the spec of the two listed in their manual rather than the slim down spec on their web. You will see how bad 665's amp really is.
post #638 of 1951 Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Are the Sanyo modules worse than a discrete amp? I have no data on them. I am not busting your chops here. I am really curious to how you know about them?

I have not had a chance to hear a 665 side by side with a 765.

As for power, I agree 100%. The 765 has a higher power consumption and is heavier. I would bet my own money it puts out more power.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #639 of 1951 Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Are the Sanyo modules worse than a discrete amp? I have no data on them. I am not busting your chops here. I am really curious to how you know about them?

I have not had a chance to hear a 665 side by side with a 765.

As for power, I agree 100%. The 765 has a higher power consumption and is heavier. I would bet my own money it puts out more power.

Come on! The Sanyo is rated at THD=0.9% at 1KHz ONLY! vs 765's THD=0.08% at 20Hz-20KHz! IMHO I don't think ANY aduio amp that try to hide what it really is with a spec rated only at 1KHz is a decent amp!
post #640 of 1951 Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM

I just purchased the 665, along with the definitive 600 series surround speakers. In the manual for the definitive speakers, one suggestion is to hook the front speakers to the subwoofer (which has an amp), and my rear speakers to the receiver. Will there be a noticable difference in sound if I do this compared to just hooking all 4 of my speakers to the receiver? Please help me out, I am brand new to the whole surround sound world...but loving it!!! Thanks
post #641 of 1951 Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Sometimes the sound from my TV go off and on. I have a 58" Panasonic Plasma. I have everything hooked up to my Yamaha 665(cable box/dvr, Ps3), can it be the HDMI wire or is the receiver fauty? I just got a 2 weeks ago. When the sound goes off, the picture of the speakers on the receiver display goes off with it, and then comes back on when the volume comes on. It would go off maybe every 10-20 seconds, then go off for about 2 seconds and then go back on. What is weird is that, other times, it works perfectly well with no sound interuption. Any solution???
post #642 of 1951 Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliu53 View Post

I just purchased the 665, along with the definitive 600 series surround speakers. In the manual for the definitive speakers, one suggestion is to hook the front speakers to the subwoofer (which has an amp), and my rear speakers to the receiver. Will there be a noticable difference in sound if I do this compared to just hooking all 4 of my speakers to the receiver? Please help me out, I am brand new to the whole surround sound world...but loving it!!! Thanks

You have a lot to learn. My best advice is to leave everything in it's box while you read the manuals and understand everything.

That 5.1 speaker setup appears to function as any 5.1 system, so you'll have 2 options. You can connect the AVR's speaker lines to the sub-woofer and the sub will manage the bass and cross-over point. Or you can connect the speakers to the AVR, with a line-level connect to the sub and the AVR will manage bass and cross-over point. The latter setup almost always gives better performance and certainly more choices.

Once connected, you will need to run YPAO in the Yamaha, (following the directions exactly), then everything will be set up. You can then go into manual setup and tweak the settings if you wish. If the speaker manual has suggested bass management and crossover settings, you can compare those to what the Yamaha gives you. All speakers should wind up being set to "small" unless you are using the sub's speaker connections.

did I mention reading the manuals?
post #643 of 1951 Old 08-03-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliu53 View Post

Sometimes the sound from my TV go off and on. I have a 58" Panasonic Plasma. I have everything hooked up to my Yamaha 665(cable box/dvr, Ps3), can it be the HDMI wire or is the receiver fauty? I just got a 2 weeks ago. When the sound goes off, the picture of the speakers on the receiver display goes off with it, and then comes back on when the volume comes on. It would go off maybe every 10-20 seconds, then go off for about 2 seconds and then go back on. What is weird is that, other times, it works perfectly well with no sound interuption. Any solution???

This is likely a HDMI handshake. WHY it's occurring in the question. Be certain that the V665 is set to NOT pass audio to the TV, and try a different HDMI cable.
post #644 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I have the updated firmware and using a WII. I have set audio switching for AV1 to use AUDIO1. Also of note I use HDMI to my tv.

I notice when I press AV1, the Wii video signal comes in but no sound.
I have to press audio1 to hear the WII.

Is this correct behaviour ? I would think it should switch to audio1 automatically.
post #645 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post
I have the updated firmware and using a WII. I have set audio switching for AV1 to use AUDIO1. Also of note I use HDMI to my tv.

I notice when I press AV1, the Wii video signal comes in but no sound.
I have to press audio1 to hear the WII.

Is this correct behaviour ? I would think it should switch to audio1 automatically.
There's a manual flier page provided with the FW update which details how to assign a video input to the audio1 or audio2 inputs. Copy attached.

When you select that audio input as your source, the assigned video input will be output. In short, you're assigning the video input to the audio in put, not the other way around. If it makes is simpler for you, just assign one of the SCENE buttons to this setup.

RX-V765_665_565_465_UAB_Flyer.pdf 182.6181640625k . file
post #646 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
hey guys, are there any issues (or loss of quality) with hdmi video pass through on this receiver and the 765? thanks
post #647 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Quick question: Can the 665 handle LPCM? Reason I ask is because I can't hear any of the audio commentary while watching Watchmen on Bluray. According to the JVC XVBP1 manual settings the audio output to PassThrough will allow the receiver to decode... which it does because it displays DTS-HD MSTR on the front panel. However I can't hear the voice-overs, just the movie's audio... in the JVC manual it said that secondary audio may not be heard if PassThrough is selected via HDMI, unless LPCM is used.

Well how do I know LPCM is being used? Because I sure as hell can't figure this out!

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole
POWERPROGRESS
post #648 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post

Quick question: Can the 665 handle LPCM? Reason I ask is because I can't hear any of the audio commentary while watching Watchmen on Bluray. According to the JVC XVBP1 manual settings the audio output to PassThrough will allow the receiver to decode... which it does because it displays DTS-HD MSTR on the front panel. However I can't hear the voice-overs, just the movie's audio... in the JVC manual it said that secondary audio may not be heard if PassThrough is selected via HDMI, unless LPCM is used.

Well how do I know LPCM is being used? Because I sure as hell can't figure this out!

This is an issue for the JVC player thread. You can't use secondary audio with bitstreamed HD audio, the audio has to be down-sampled in the player to either DTS, DD or PCM then mixed with the secondary audio and finally sent to the AVR. If the AVR is receiving DTS-MA, then the player is not doing this. Set your player to output PCM and you should be good. But the answer is in the player, not the V665.
post #649 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Sorry grimes I wasn't sure where to post it. I've tried all the audio settings in the player itself ranging from PCM to PassThrough and I'm still getting the same problems I'll ask in there!

POWERPROGRESS
post #650 of 1951 Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have three questions about the rx-vx65 series.

(1) To do bass management, some avrs FIRST sum the lfe channel with the full channels for the speakers set to small AND THEN apply the crossover low pass. If this is done, then any information in the lfe channel above the crossover point is lost. What does the rx-v665 do? I was told by Yamaha support that my older Yamaha htr-5990 chucks away the above-crossover lfe info.

(2) Suppose I let my blu-ray player decode audio and send it as LPCM to the rx-v665 over HDMI. Does the rx-v665 boost the lfe channel by 10dBs? I was told by Yamaha support that my older Yamaha htr-5990 does not do this boost, making it useless for decoding in the player. There were conflicting claims about the x63 series.

(3) What does the rx-v665 do with respect to dialnorm? The htr-5990 provides a message on the display and expects the user to adjust the volume manually.
post #651 of 1951 Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:

This is an issue for the JVC player thread. You can't use secondary audio with bitstreamed HD audio, the audio has to be down-sampled in the player to either DTS, DD or PCM then mixed with the secondary audio and finally sent to the AVR. If the AVR is receiving DTS-MA, then the player is not doing this. Set your player to output PCM and you should be good. But the answer is in the player, not the V665.

Grimes,

rdclark is trying to help me solve the problem in the Bluray area. But he asked a question and I don't know the answer. He says the BD player needs to be set to PCM-multichannel so all the receiver has to do is output the sound...

Is this receiver set to receive LPCM? Is there a way to enable secondary audio on the receiver (because I see nowhere to do this on the player).

He said the receiver needs to be set to LPCM multichannel input... not sure how to do this either.

POWERPROGRESS
post #652 of 1951 Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Grimes,

rdclark is trying to help me solve the problem in the Bluray area. But he asked a question and I don't know the answer. He says the BD player needs to be set to PCM-multichannel so all the receiver has to do is output the sound...

Is this receiver set to receive LPCM? Is there a way to enable secondary audio on the receiver (because I see nowhere to do this on the player).

He said the receiver needs to be set to LPCM multichannel input... not sure how to do this either.

Secondary audio is entirely a player thing, there are 2 separate audio streams being mixed into one.

The V665 will accept anything a player can send it, bar none. Assuming HDMI connect, just set the player to send whatever you like. The V665 will play it.
post #653 of 1951 Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Secondary audio is entirely a player thing, there are 2 separate audio streams being mixed into one.

The V665 will accept anything a player can send it, bar none. Assuming HDMI connect, just set the player to send whatever you like. The V665 will play it.

I don't see anywhere to turn on secondary audio for the receiver to capture...

And that is the crazy thing. I'm trying to listening to some commentary on the BD, but even setting the player to PCM Stereo or PCM Multichan I still can't hear what they people are saying. And this is where I'm confused? Even if the commentary was in a center channel, putting it to PCM Stereo should force it all to L + R correct? Because I can't get it to work!!!

POWERPROGRESS
post #654 of 1951 Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't see anywhere to turn on secondary audio for the receiver to capture...

And that is the crazy thing. I'm trying to listening to some commentary on the BD, but even setting the player to PCM Stereo or PCM Multichan I still can't hear what they people are saying. And this is where I'm confused? Even if the commentary was in a center channel, putting it to PCM Stereo should force it all to L + R correct? Because I can't get it to work!!!

Not communicating here.

Secondary audio is only dealt with in the player. The V665 will correctly play whatever the player is sending, no special settings are required cause it's all automatic. Do please be sure that the V665 is not set to pass audio to your TV. Also, the V665 should be set for "HDMI Control" to off.
post #655 of 1951 Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM

This is more of a general question, but I just moved into an older home and plan on setting up my 765 and other gear this weekend. As of now the outlet boxes in the main room are two pronged, and one that is three pronged reads ungrounded.

Other than buying three prong recepticles and grounding them, what could I do to make sure my electronics are as safe as possible.

Thanks!
post #656 of 1951 Old 08-06-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

This is more of a general question, but I just moved into an older home and plan on setting up my 765 and other gear this weekend. As of now the outlet boxes in the main room are two pronged, and one that is three pronged reads ungrounded.

Other than buying three prong recepticles and grounding them, what could I do to make sure my electronics are as safe as possible.

Thanks!

You might have a usable ground on the outlet box if it is metal. Generally the screw that holds the outlet plate on is grounded in that case. Which is why the 3-2 prong adapters have that little wire for connecting to the screw. In any case, a surge protector is recommended.
post #657 of 1951 Old 08-07-2009, 02:37 AM

Grimes,

When I first got the receiver I used YPAO to set it up with just the two fronts. Does this automatically configure the receiver into a 2.0 (stereo) mode or could I have missed a step there?

POWERPROGRESS
post #658 of 1951 Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 AM

I just sold my unbreakeable Onkyo 705 because I got tired of the heat that it emits. I am now using the 5.1 analog inputs on a Panny saxr55s which actually sounds great with blu-ray. However, I miss the 7.1 audio on the few blu-rays that have it. Can someone please confirm that the 665 runs a lot cooler than the 705. How is it compared to the Pannys? Please anyone. Thanks.
post #659 of 1951 Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yammy 663 vs. 863 vs onk 805. Which one? I'm going to use the receiver's amp section until maybe christmas or income tax then get an amp. I know the 805 has the best amp section/power supply but which is the better pre/pro?

Whoops, forgot to put the 665 in there lol as this is the 665 thread. My question is if the 665 and 663 have the same front end dacs/caps/etc and pre-out components or which one is better
post #660 of 1951 Old 08-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi folks... I've skimmed through some of this thread, but my eyes have just about quit on me. I hoping I can get some advice on upgrading.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2400 and I'm thinking of going to the V765 to get the HDMI inputs and TrueHD etc. from my BR player. I love my 2400, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth, I guess. I'm also thinking this 'upgrade' will be a bit of a downgrade in overall sound performance? But, I'm hoping the features (HDMI mostly) will make up for that. I never really push the 2400 either, so I have a lot of headroom to give up.

Thoughts? Good move?

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page