**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there a way to hard reset the receiver?

i did the auto config and i feel as if messed things up. the fronts are TOO loud, the subs too low..i want to reset everything and start from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an unusual problem with my 665's 12V trigger output. I used to have a power strip that used a large 120V coil relay to switch it on and off that I connected to the switched 120V outlet on my old receiver. This outlet turns on the 3 power amps for my 5.1 setup. When I got my 665 last week I originally just plugged the control line into the wall to trigger the amps on. I recently modified the switch with a 12V relay and plugged it into the 12V trigger on the 665. All seems to work OK except when listening to music via my USB DAC plugged into the stereo Audio 1 input. If the 665 is in Audio 1 and I switch to "Pure Direct" the 12V trigger drops out. I can select Pure Direct in any of the other inputs I am using on the 665 without any problems.

Can anyone using the 12V trigger output test this for me? I do have an Emotiva stereo pre amp with Home Theater Bypass on order that I will connect my DAC and turntable into so this problem is more of a nuisance than a serious issue for me. I was just wondering if I uncovered some hidden defect. I will just switch the DAC connection to one of the unused AV inputs until the preamp shows up.

Ray
post #1053 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

i did the auto config and i feel as if messed things up. the fronts are TOO loud, the subs too low..i want to reset everything and start from scratch.

I am intrested to find this out too.

Ray
post #1054 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

You can simply re-run YPAO as often as you like. Channel levels are adjustable in manual setup.
post #1055 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM

Has anybody had success updating the firmware on their RX-V665 via a PS3? If so, can somebody point me in a general direction to do so, please?

I've tried via an xbox360, xbox and blu-ray player but to no avail
post #1056 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelik View Post

Has anybody had success updating the firmware on their RX-V665 via a PS3? If so, can somebody point me in a general direction to do so, please?

I use an older DVD recorder (Panasonic). CD players and older DVD players usually work well. It does require SPDIF connection.
post #1057 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I believe i saw this in the Advanced Setup on the RX-V665. Power off the unit, then on the front of the unit, press and hold "Straight" and pretty the power button on the front of the unit. This should take you to the Advanced Menu where Im pretty sure there is a "restore factory settings" option. It should be in the manual.
post #1058 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I use an older DVD recorder (Panasonic). CD players and older DVD players usually work well. It does require SPDIF connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelik View Post

Not that his helps you, but I used a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player via Optical to upgrade the firmware on my RX-V665
post #1059 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

In the 665, check your HDMI settings, it should all be set to "through". In advanced setup, turn OFF the "monitor check" function. Turn off any HDMI CEC or "HDMI Control" functions in all components.

Just an FYI for all, I set HDMI to "Through", turned OFF Monitor Check (in the Advanced Setup) and made sure Control was set to OFF on all my HDMI inputs. I did not see any HDMI CEC settings (and none were mentioned in the manual).

Unfortunately when switching to my HTPC (which uses a DVI to HDMI adapter) I sometimes get the green screen overlay still.

I ordered a cheapo ATI HD3450 HDMI-out/HDCP compliant video card for about last night. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks
post #1060 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bluetooth / Docking Station Question

Is there is any Universal Bluetooth Adapter for Yamaha 765 Receiver --

Please let me know...

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
post #1061 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with one speaker, but I don't believe it is the source of the problem...

I have 5.1 PSB Alpha speakers hooked up to a 765. Recently I was sitting beside the speakers picking out a movie when I heard distortion coming from the front L speaker. It's a B1 monitor, and it sounds as if it's coming through both channels. My first concern was the speaker itself - so I took a smaller satellite speaker that I have saved for when I goto 7.1 and the distortion was still there.

I then checked the speaker wire itself - both connections are firm and I even recut the ends to make sure. I then ran YPAO and everything went smoothly, but the faint distortion is still there.

The only thing I haven't done is change the entire speaker wire itself. I'll try that after work. If that isn't working, can anyone make a suggestion as to what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Just an update on my above post (though I didn't get anyones opinion...)

I have now tried a new speaker wire, a separate speaker, and re-running YPAO. It doesn't appear to be a speaker/wire issue...it seems as if it could be an issue with the receiver itself.

Again, it's a faint disortion that appears to be coming through all the channels of the speaker. It's almost like an AM radio that is out of frequency.

Thanks again. Hopefully someone has some ideas on what can be done.
post #1062 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have now tried a new speaker wire, a separate speaker, and re-running YPAO. It doesn't appear to be a speaker/wire issue...it seems as if it could be an issue with the receiver itself.

Again, it's a faint disortion that appears to be coming through all the channels of the speaker. It's almost like an AM radio that is out of frequency.

If you have tried a different speaker, then it pretty much has to be the AVR. Give Yamaha a call, don't bother emailing them.
post #1063 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM

another question.

i'm going to hook up my laptop to the receiver to use the speakers. going to get a 1/8" audio out to red/white and connect that to back of receiver.

now my question is, will i be able to watch tv and listen to music through my receiver at the same time? My cable box is connected to the receiver as HDMI2.

thanks
post #1064 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Sounds like a scene from Talladega Nights.

"Why do you want to watch TV and listen to the stereo at the same time?"

"Cause I like to party"

Yamaha receivers in the past, used to be able to play a video source along with a different audio source. It was as simple as selecting the video source first, then the audio source. Some recent models have not allowed this simple task (for reasons beyond my comprehension.)

Simple enough to try it out

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #1065 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM

whats the difference between straight & straight enhanced? which is a more accurate sound when watching blu rays? I switched between the two and noticed that straight enhanced sounds more lively, BUT i'm not convinced that it sounds better. straight seems to have a more controlled sound..straight enhanced is just all over the place and seems to be overpowering but you hear more bullets whizzing, etc from the rear.

how do you guys watch blu rays? under DSP parameter it's currently set to straight and i've adjusted the rears up a little.
post #1066 of 1953 Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

whats the difference between straight & straight enhanced? which is a more accurate sound when watching blu rays? I switched between the two and noticed that straight enhanced sounds more lively, BUT i'm not convinced that it sounds better.

how do you guys watch blu rays? under DSP parameter it's currently set to straight and i've adjusted the rears up a little.

I never used enchanced modes.

I use DPL IIx Movie for rear surround sound from 5.1 movies.

post #1067 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:

another question.

i'm going to hook up my laptop to the receiver to use the speakers. going to get a 1/8" audio out to red/white and connect that to back of receiver.

now my question is, will i be able to watch tv and listen to music through my receiver at the same time? My cable box is connected to the receiver as HDMI2.

thanks

I do not think it is possible to watch an HDMI video source and listen to another source audio with the 665. I like to do this too. I'd rather listen to music sometimes while watching Indians, Cavs, or Browns games. I removed the cable HDMI from my 665 and went straight to a TV input and used Optical for the audio to the 665. There is notheing that the optical cant handle from the cable box and I have a universal remote so this can all still be controlled relativally easy.

Ray
post #1068 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post

I have an unusual problem with my 665's 12V trigger output. I used to have a power strip that used a large 120V coil relay to switch it on and off that I connected to the switched 120V outlet on my old receiver. This outlet turns on the 3 power amps for my 5.1 setup. When I got my 665 last week I originally just plugged the control line into the wall to trigger the amps on. I recently modified the switch with a 12V relay and plugged it into the 12V trigger on the 665. All seems to work OK except when listening to music via my USB DAC plugged into the stereo Audio 1 input. If the 665 is in Audio 1 and I switch to "Pure Direct" the 12V trigger drops out. I can select Pure Direct in any of the other inputs I am using on the 665 without any problems.

Can anyone using the 12V trigger output test this for me? I do have an Emotiva stereo pre amp with Home Theater Bypass on order that I will connect my DAC and turntable into so this problem is more of a nuisance than a serious issue for me. I was just wondering if I uncovered some hidden defect. I will just switch the DAC connection to one of the unused AV inputs until the preamp shows up.

Ray

I moved my DAC to an unused audio/video source and all is fine.

More detail into the "trigger bug". The trigger drop out occurs on both audio1 and audio 2. After the trigger drops out it latches out. In other words if I change to another source HDMI or AV the trigger does not return until the power to the 665 is cycled.

I would still like someone who uses the trigger output to test this and see it it's a defect in my 665 or just an obscure undiscovered defect.

Ray
post #1069 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

another question.

thanks

If you have the latest firmware revision, you can assign one HDMI input for video to one of the stereo inputs. (audio-1, audio-2). Instructions are included in the firmware download package. As I recall, you'd need to use the audio-2 input for HDMI-2.
post #1070 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:

If you have the latest firmware revision, you can assign one HDMI input for video to one of the stereo inputs. (audio-1, audio-2). Instructions are included in the firmware download package. As I recall, you'd need to use the audio-2 input for HDMI-2.

I printed out the firmware instructions and have been meaning to look at the version of FW my 665 is using. I wonder if this FW update will have any effect on the trigger issue I've seen in my 665.

It looks like a nice snowy weekend project.

Ray
post #1071 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I never used enchanced modes.

I use DPL IIx Movie for rear surround sound from 5.1 movies.

is that by default? why do you use DPL IIX as opposed to leaving it at straight?
post #1072 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baidya View Post

Hi,

I am running a 5.1 speaker setup, and when I have the AVR set as Straight for DSP, I am really not able to feel the rear speakers...When I run it in the 7ch Enhancer, thats when I am able to hear the rear speakers....

Can you let me know what's the right setup??

Thanks,
Baidya

i have the same issue, hopefully somebody will have an answer for us.
post #1073 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM

for all blue rays I use the digital encoding (dts master, dolby digital hd, etc). I honestly dont know why they have so many dsp's...all I want/need is the digital processing (Master, hd, etc), and plII for tv watching...all the others are a waste for me...when listening to CD's I use straight or 7 channel stereo if having a party...
post #1074 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post

for all blue rays I use the digital encoding (dts master, dolby digital hd, etc). I honestly dont know why they have so many dsp's...all I want/need is the digital processing (Master, hd, etc), and plII for tv watching...all the others are a waste for me...when listening to CD's I use straight or 7 channel stereo if having a party...

so for blu rays you use the straight mode? i just want to know why straight enhanced seems to have louder rears?

straight mode seems to sound better, but the rears sound a little too quiet.
post #1075 of 1953 Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I just hooked up my receiver last night and sounds like I have the identical issue. I have not spent much time with it yet, but it does seem odd that it coming from only the front right speaker. And it seems to happen when it is changing audio decoding formats. It is especially annoying when you switch channels on the tivo and it goes from audio format to the next.
post #1076 of 1953 Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
XXX ENHANCED = the compressed music enhancer mode (for ipods etc.)

where XXX = straight, 2 channel, and 7 channel

If makes weak compressed sources into louder more dynamic music.
Of course it's not going to be accurate. But it sounds good in many situations.

Enhancer makes XM sound good (since the merger where bitrates dropped).
post #1077 of 1953 Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm planning to replace my old yahmaha receiver with either a rx-v2500 or a rx-v665. Since the rx-v2500 has been in the store for ever (I think since 2005) it's the same price as the rx-v665. Which receiver is better ? I hardly look at or action movies but absolutely love classical and jazz concerts on dvd/bleuray
post #1078 of 1953 Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 PM

so i was able to finally calibrate it correctly using YPAO...this receiver is amazing with the klipsch hd500...

is there way to do a pass-through with the ipod dock? i sometimes like to listen to music while watching(looking at) a sports game.
post #1079 of 1953 Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

so i was able to finally calibrate it correctly using YPAO...this receiver is amazing with the klipsch hd500...

is there way to do a pass-through with the ipod dock? i sometimes like to listen to music while watching(looking at) a sports game.

No.

You are forced at watching the ipod display (or a blank screen if you press the display off button on the remote).

Same problem with XM. You cant watch TV and listen to xm at the same time.

It's my only gripe with the 665.
post #1080 of 1953 Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not sure why Yamaha removed the ability to listen to one audio source while watching a video source. They have had this ability for many years.

It's not due to HDMI itself, because my 2700 had the feature.

Something may have changed in their audio circuitry making it difficult to implement. Or they no longer wanted to implement the feature for some reason thinking most people would not use it.

Speaking as a non electronics expert, and based on their service manual, I am not sure why it's tricky to implement. There's a chip on the digital board to control which digital audio goes through the DSP. And probably another one for bypass mode to the DAC. And there should be similar chips to direct audio.

You would not be able to listen to one HDMI audio source while watching another, but that's a simple restriction anyone would understand I think.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread