**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1951 Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 665 for a couple of weeks now. I'm not an audiophile and maybe too easy to please, but I am enjoying it immensely. It replaced a old Technics receiver. I waited for the 665 instead of the getting a 663 because I wanted the additional HDMI outputs and I liked the way the Yamaha integrates with an iPod with the YSP-11 docking station. The manual probably isn't the greatest but it didn't take me long to find my way around.

I am very satisfied so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1951 Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmurrell View Post

I've had my 665 for a couple of weeks now. I'm not an audiophile and maybe too easy to please, but I am enjoying it immensely. It replaced a old Technics receiver. I waited for the 665 instead of the getting a 663 because I wanted the additional HDMI outputs and I liked the way the Yamaha integrates with an iPod with the YSP-11 docking station. The manual probably isn't the greatest but it didn't take me long to find my way around.

Hows the PQ and the sound ? What movies have you watched and how loud did you play it and did PQ break down ? Does the remote respond fast with the LCD panel on ( what tv and speakers do you have and what size room ) Are you doing blu-ray 7.1 ??
Are you in the USA , Please forgive me for being so nosey.
post #93 of 1951 Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 PM

I'm so glad to hear that positive feedback.

I also have an old Technics that this is replacing. I'm buying kind of blind because I haven't listened to it since all the local stores are so noisy you can't really get a true idea of the quality of it.

Someone else posted that it didn't sound good when listening to music.

Are you happy with it when listening to CD's?
post #94 of 1951 Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmurrell View Post

Glad you love your receiver. A big question many of us are wondering is does the 665 matrix DTS-MA to 7.1? The 663 could not so many of us are hoping Yamaha got ther act together and made this upgrade available on the 665.
post #95 of 1951 Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Glad you love your receiver. A big question many of us are wondering is does the 665 matrix DTS-MA to 7.1? The 663 could not so many of us are hoping Yamaha got ther act together and made this upgrade available on the 665.

According to the manual, you can assign a decoder to each HDMI input as the default decoder. I interpret that to mean yes, but some confirmation would be nice. Anyway it's a lot different than the 663 configuration.
post #96 of 1951 Old 04-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Just got my RX-V665 connected today. It is replacing a Sony STR-D711 (yes, it was very old school).

I have the following components connected:

PS3 to HDMI 1, output set to LPCM 5.1, 192kHz (BD/DVD Scene)
Panasonic DVD to HDMI 2 (CD Scene)
Ipod to Audio 1 (RCA)
HDMI out to Panasonic TH-50PX60U Plasma
Panasonic Optical out to Receiver in (TV Scene)

5 Channel Speakers: Polk RM6230's
Sub: Yamaha YST-SW215, volume at the 11 o'clock position, high cut all the way up. Connected via the sub 1/sub2 pre-outs.

Ran the YPAO, Natural.

First impressions: Well, I ordered the RX-v663, but it was sold out. Vendor gave me the RX-V665 at the same price. Setup went well, and after getting familiar with it, I played some Tower of Power through the iPod. I set the soundfield for audio to "the Bottom Line." Emulates a live, small NY Jazz club. I don't blast it, and the sound was very clean, bass was punchy, and the Polks never sounded better.

I then fired-up the PS3, playing some Tiger Woods 09. Sound effects and audio were very live, and there was no loss to the video quality. HDMI is set to pass through to the tv at 1080p.

I'm snagging a BlueRay movie, and we'll see how it goes from there. I'll also post a follow-up after a few more gaming sessions.

So far, I'm very impressed...but please keep in mind that I'm upgrading from a 1991 Sony ProLogic receiver...

Vince
post #97 of 1951 Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM

After jumping around on which receivers to be use as a pre/pro, including older models, refurbs (H/K AVR-254) and even ones with out pre-outs (a refurbed Onkyo TX-SR606 at $250 was really tempting). I pulled the trigger on the 665 as there really is nothing out right now that suites my purposes as a pre/pro on the cheap.

Now I just got to figure out how I am going to run all the cabling in the basement and build a cabinet for the a/v gear to finish the basement off. That and some how break it to the wife that I bought another toy, though she kind of gave the ok because she told me to finish the basement and get all the cables out of sight.
post #98 of 1951 Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 PM

I don't know I guess I'm messed up considering the positive reviews on here, but I hated the 665. I have Klipsch Reference Cinema 8 speakers and they sounded like crap hooked up to this thing. I switched to a Denon AVR-2309CI and the difference is night and day for me. Plus the Stereo 5Ch setting on the Denon is awesome for 2 channel audio. The YPAO didn't seem to make as much of an improvement for me either not as much Audyssey did. Although it probably isn't a good comparison between Denon and the Yamaha considering the Denon is almost double the price.
post #99 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Newegg got them in stock @ 400.. Seems like a good deal , but no returns..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115196
I would use it as a pre amp for front and center , The specs don't show it tobe a power house , but hopfully the pre amp is clean..
post #100 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

Newegg got them in stock @ 400.. Seems like a good deal , but no returns..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115196
I would use it as a pre amp for front and center , The specs don't show it tobe a power house , but hopfully the pre amp is clean..

30-day return for replacement only. No refund.

The 665 front end is virtually the same as most of the other mid-range models.

Has anyone gotten a AVS discount from 6Ave on the 665?
post #101 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Not yet but I plan too. They owe me a favor anyway.
post #102 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:

30-day return for replacement only. No refund.

The 665 front end is virtually the same as most of the other mid-range models.

"couponcabin" with knock off 6%

I'll waiting for bestbuy to stock them , so I can try one out .They should be in the stores soon. as they show the 665 on line ..I'm in no rush , these years crop just isn't hot as I would like it.. Its more need than want, which is a 180' turnaround for me !!

The 665 looks like just what I need , the onkyo 607 looks good but NO 7.1 pre outs , to bad..
I wish the 665 had a switched AC outlet for the AMPs, I would need to use the 12volt trigger and a build relay switch for AC power ..
post #103 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

I wish the 665 had a switched AC outlet for the AMPs, I would need to use the 12volt trigger and a build relay switch for AC power ..

I'm guessing that power modes like "not-quite-off to allow for iPod recharging", and "not-quite-off to allow for HDMI pass through" [singly and in combination] have made it difficult for receiver designers to decide when 'switched outlets' should be ON or OFF, and more complex to implement.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #104 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Yes--I ordered the 663, but it was out of stock in March. Got the 665 at the same price.

Watched Quantum of Solace BlueRay via the psp (equipment specs posted earlier), with the 665 in Pure Direct mode. Now, I've only had this system set up for a day, so I'm not sure if my settings are the best.

The PS3 is set to output Linear PCM 5.1 @ 192kHz, and I don't know if Pure Direct=TrueHD. Any confirmation would help.

Quantum is mixed very well, so dialogue, soundtrack, and effects were spot on, and the system responded nicely.

Vince
post #105 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTS_tech View Post

Yes--I ordered the 663, but it was out of stock in March. Got the 665 at the same price.

Watched Quantum of Solace BlueRay via the psp (equipment specs posted earlier), with the 665 in Pure Direct mode. Now, I've only had this system set up for a day, so I'm not sure if my settings are the best.

The PS3 is set to output Linear PCM 5.1 @ 192kHz, and I don't know if Pure Direct=TrueHD. Any confirmation would help.

Quantum is mixed very well, so dialogue, soundtrack, and effects were spot on, and the system responded nicely.

Vince

Pure Direct has nothing to do with lossless audio. Pure Direct bypasses some circuits depending on what mode you are in.

If playing a track on the PS3, you can hit the display button to see if you are playing lossless (TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio). If you are playing lossless, and receiving 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 PPCM, you are getting lossless audio.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #106 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

I'm guessing that power modes like "not-quite-off to allow for iPod recharging", and "not-quite-off to allow for HDMI pass through" [singly and in combination] have made it difficult for receiver designers to decide when 'switched outlets' should be ON or OFF, and more complex to implement.

I'm talking about 110volt outlet thats off when the unit is in standby and on when the unit is on , I see it less and less in this price range. The 12volt trigger and ten bucks of parts should fix that problem.
post #107 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM

There has been a lot of discussion about the smaller amp size/limited power in not only the new Yamahas but also the new Pioneer Onkyos etc..

I'm trying to gauge how much this would really matter to me. Is it one of those things where it's only a big deal if you want it really loud in a big room with top-line speakers? or would it be noticeably weaker on smaller setups also?

My room is about 20'x15', I'm looking at the 665 and would probably just do a 5.1 with decent speakers, lately I've been looking at the Polk TSi or maybe 2 floorstanding 777 Yamahas for fronts and bookshelf 333s in back.
post #108 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet5 View Post

There has been a lot of discussion about the smaller amp size/limited power in not only the new Yamahas but also the new Pioneer Onkyos etc..

I'm trying to gauge how much this would really matter to me. Is it one of those things where it's only a big deal if you want it really loud in a big room with top-line speakers? or would it be noticeably weaker on smaller setups also?

My room is about 20'x15', I'm looking at the 665 and would probably just do a 5.1 with decent speakers, lately I've been looking at the Polk TSi or maybe 2 floorstanding 777 Yamahas for fronts and bookshelf 333s in back.

I would go for the 765, if I were you. Look for a sale in a month or 2, since it's just now coming out. that's a fairly large room, and needs more speaker and power.
post #109 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 05:13 PM

About the lack of HD Radio.

Someone earlier in this thread made it sound like the only radio options on this receiver were Sirius and XM, and that without HD Radio you wouldn't get any local radio stations at all.

You would still be able to get local radio stations in analog or whatever right?
post #110 of 1951 Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad817 View Post

About the lack of HD Radio.

Someone earlier in this thread made it sound like the only radio options on this receiver were Sirius and XM, and that without HD Radio you wouldn't get any local radio stations at all.

You would still be able to get local radio stations in analog or whatever right?

The manual is available for download. The 665 has a standard FM/AM tuner.
post #111 of 1951 Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Any issues connecting this Yamaha RX-V665 to a 6.1 speaker setup by only running one HDMI from the Display to the receiver???

Hello...
You've no doubt heard this expression, "How long do you want to keep beating a dead dog?"

Believe me, this dawg loves my Golden retriever to death, and I would never harm him in any way, but guys, seriously? I am so sorry for being completely dense on this, but over the last six months, I have received tons of misinformation on how to hook up the Display to AVR, primarily from audio salesmen, and other Forums, I'm just plain dizzy. I don't want to make any mistakes. At first, I wanted to have a choice on listening to either the TV speakers, or the AVR speakers, but what was I thinking...I should just use the AVR and 3.1 for broadcast and the 6.1 for movies. Otherwise, I would have to either run separate HDMI cables from TV (in wall) to each component and optical from TW-DVR to AVR…right?

I've waited awhile for the right receiver, and here are a few features: that
Fully compatible with HD audio and video,
HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out),
1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct,
YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features,
HDMI Pass-through,
HDMI Up Conversion (with upscaling up to 1080p).

Originally, I was going to get the Onkyo 606 or 706, or maybe even a Sony HTiab (gasp) but decided on this Yamaha 7.2 RX-V665 AVR, and a HSU Sound research 6.1 speaker.

I have a HDTV Display mounted on the wall with one HDMI cable presently connected to my Time-Warner-DVR STB, soon to be connected to the Yamaha RX-v665,along with a 6.1 speaker setup. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

It's not hooked up yet, because I'm going round and round trying to figure out the best way to do this with less cabling in the walls. Besides, I would have to take the TV back down to connect any additional cables in it and that would be a BIG hassle.
Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?

I was told this…

"Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws) IS THIS TRUE?
"You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver." I’d rather not.

I kind of wanted to have a choice on either listening to the TV speakers for just watching regular broadcast, or the AVR, but this seems like a lot more of a hassle to do this.

HERE IS THE YAMAHA RX-V665 RECEIVER –
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION

In looking at the specs, would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and everything else into the AVR? -

What else do I need to do to get all the Audio/Video features from the AVR and the Display to play through all the 6.1 speakers? Anything at all, or am I good to go? Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker.

Thanks a bunch! And Don't HATE me because I'm electronically challenged.
post #112 of 1951 Old 04-13-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrbyte View Post

Hello...
You've no doubt heard this expression, "How long do you want to keep beating a dead dog?"

The expression is " How long do you want to keep beating a dead HORSE ?"
Not dog !! , Was that a quote from "Back to the Future Part II"
But you can say it anyway you want ..

I think you won't have any problems if you read the all the manuals
post #113 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM

So does this receiver allow for changing inputs?

I less of a audiophile than most of you guys here and I'd like something to just hook up my PS3/360/Popcorn hour box/DVD player to HDMI and then cable box using component/optical toslink.

But then if I decide to hook my wii up to the other component input would I be able to change the input for the audio or no? I'm really deciding between this and the Onkyo TX-SR606.

The only other factors that I want are the 7.1. The xm/serious/zone2 don't really play any influence.
post #114 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chicken View Post

So does this receiver allow for changing inputs?

I less of a audiophile than most of you guys here and I'd like something to just hook up my PS3/360/Popcorn hour box/DVD player to HDMI and then cable box using component/optical toslink.

But then if I decide to hook my wii up to the other component input would I be able to change the input for the audio or no? I'm really deciding between this and the Onkyo TX-SR606.

The only other factors that I want are the 7.1. The xm/serious/zone2 don't really play any influence.

Yes, it will allow for you to switch the through the inputs for video. Since it will convert composite and component video to HDMI, all you should need to do is hook up the TV with a HDMI cable for the video. I am not 100% on the audio side, maybe someone can chime in, but if you don't plan on using your TV speakers, that it won't matter at all.

I should be receiving my unit today and hooking it up soon, so I will know more in a few days as I hope it will pass all audio to the TV as there are just some times where I won't need the audio to my speakers.
post #115 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargon View Post

Yes, it will allow for you to switch the through the inputs for video. Since it will convert composite and component video to HDMI, all you should need to do is hook up the TV with a HDMI cable for the video. I am not 100% on the audio side, maybe someone can chime in, but if you don't plan on using your TV speakers, that it won't matter at all.

I should be receiving my unit today and hooking it up soon, so I will know more in a few days as I hope it will pass all audio to the TV as there are just some times where I won't need the audio to my speakers.

Yeah, that was another question I had. A friend of mine bought a less expensive Sony model and he had to hook up an HDMI and component because HDMI input video was sent out using HDMI and component input was sent out through component.

If I'm hooking up just HDMI out to DVI in on my TV I can get the picture coming through to the tv and the audio coming out my speakers? Or will I need 1 HDMI and 1 Component and 1 RCA to the TV? (I don't really mind having to do this option, 1 HDMI is just a lot less clutter).

I'm more concered with it pulling the audio and outputting directy to speakers either in stereo/5.1/7.1 depending on what I'm doing.

Lastly I once again pose the question. If I hook one device up to component and optical input av1 it should be fine but if I have to connect another device (in this case the wii) to component video input av2 but the audio to a red/white RCA on input audio1, can I tie that audio and video together?

I've got the harmony 880 so it will be doing all the fun input switching. I'd just like to know if I can change the combination of inputs. It does seem weird if yahama hard wired the inputs into stuck combinations.

Thanks again guys, I'm really stuck on the fence here.
post #116 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that was another question I had. A friend of mine bought a less expensive Sony model and he had to hook up an HDMI and component because HDMI input video was sent out using HDMI and component input was sent out through component.

If I'm hooking up just HDMI out to DVI in on my TV I can get the picture coming through to the tv and the audio coming out my speakers? Or will I need 1 HDMI and 1 Component and 1 RCA to the TV? (I don't really mind having to do this option, 1 HDMI is just a lot less clutter).

I'm more concered with it pulling the audio and outputting directy to speakers either in stereo/5.1/7.1 depending on what I'm doing.

Lastly I once again pose the question. If I hook one device up to component and optical input av1 it should be fine but if I have to connect another device (in this case the wii) to component video input av2 but the audio to a red/white RCA on input audio1, can I tie that audio and video together?

I've got the harmony 880 so it will be doing all the fun input switching. I'd just like to know if I can change the combination of inputs. It does seem weird if yahama hard wired the inputs into stuck combinations.

Thanks again guys, I'm really stuck on the fence here.

Unlike your friends receiver, this will convert composite and component to HDMI so all you need for video is HDMI. In your case, since you TV input is DVI, you won't get audio from that connection since DVI doesn't do audio.

I am unsure what capabilities this receiver has as far as assigning audio to specific video sources. Skimming through the manual, it doesn't look like you can.
post #117 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargon View Post

Unlike your friends receiver, this will convert composite and component to HDMI so all you need for video is HDMI. In your case, since you TV input is DVI, you won't get audio from that connection since DVI doesn't do audio.

I am unsure what capabilities this receiver has as far as assigning audio to specific video sources. Skimming through the manual, it doesn't look like you can.

Yeah, I'm familiar with DVI's no audio. It really comes down to it's ability to reassign inputs. I've skimmed both manuals and the SR606 outright explains how to change them around but it was unclear in the 665's manual. That or I had missed it?
post #118 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'm familiar with DVI's no audio. It really comes down to it's ability to reassign inputs. I've skimmed both manuals and the SR606 outright explains how to change them around but it was unclear in the 665's manual. That or I had missed it?

AFAIK, the 665 does not have assignable inputs. There are 6 input channels, and each has it's respective digital inputs that are married to that channel.
post #119 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM

i just started reading this forum AFTER buying my A/V equipment. lol. i bought the v665 reciever and a MFW-15 sub! shouldve been doing the research before or just not not have bothered and looked at all(after the fact)
post #120 of 1951 Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?mwf15? View Post

i just started reading this forum AFTER buying my A/V equipment. lol. i bought the v665 reciever and a MFW-15 sub! shouldve been doing the research before or just not not have bothered and looked at all(after the fact)

Why?
Does the 665 lack something you need?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page