**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 1953 Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey old av buff... I just checked my hdmi control and turned it to on...
was in hdmi 1
shut down
turned it all back on and it stays on hdmi 1

I keep my control off all the time,

I don't know what to tell you ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1953 Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Maybe someone can sell broken YAMAHA RX-V665 or only digital board?

post #1923 of 1953 Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 PM

Posted this in the wrong forum (RX-V667) by accident. Looking to use my component slots with AV sound instead of optical or coaxial. Is there any way with this AVR?

Someone over there suggested this: 

Quote:
-Anikun07

You have to go into the menu and the input menu, then scroll over to your video input. Then press up on the remote and you can select the audio input you used for the white and red plugs in the back for sound, like audio 4 or something. You can mix and match the video input and the audio inputs. Look up in the manual if you need more help.

But I can't see anything similar in the manual. 

Previous post:

Quote:

Hey guys. Scouring this thread hasn't lead me to an answer, so I'm going to post my own question:

I've got my Wii and N64 plugged in to the Y/W/R slots, which means my PS2 and PS3 are left using component (The R/B/G slots). My question is: Where do I plug the sound cords on the component cables? They each have 5 plugs, red, blue, green as well as white and red. I know the white and red are for left/right speakers, but I can't work out which slot to plug them in to. 

I've tried winging it and just plugging them into random red/white ports and rebooting over and over but had no luck. 

By the way - the AVR reports "Decoder Off" while on the channels associated with component, and the video works fine. Just no sound. In the Options menu the decoder setting is set to "auto". The sound works fine when I plug the PS2 / 3 in via Y/W/R cables.

Thanks!

post #1924 of 1953 Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Go back to Yamaha.com and read the Addendum document.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v665_black__u/?mode=model&from=global_search

Here's a recap:

Plug your audio into Audio 1, plug your video cables into the proper video input.
Select Audio 1 as your current input.
Press Option on the remote.
Press Up or Down until you see "Video....Off"
Press Left or Right to select the video input you're using.
Press Option to save and exit the menu.

I'll post this in the V667 thread for you too.
post #1925 of 1953 Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryboss View Post

Posted this in the wrong forum (RX-V667) by accident. Looking to use my component slots with AV sound instead of optical or coaxial. Is there any way with this AVR?
Someone over there suggested this: 

But I can't see anything similar in the manual.
I think my RX-V665 may not have had this capability out-of-the-box, but I think it was added in a firmware update available from Yamaha's web site. You have to flash the firmware by burning it to a CD or DVD as audio data and playing it into the RX-V665 via a player that is connected via an optical or coax audio connection.

The firmware update comes with a manual addendum that explains how to pair arbitrary audio inputs with each video input.

I had to do this in order to connect my Wii via component video, as it supplies audio only via stereo analog RCA connections and I seem to recall that the RX-V665 only has digital audio inputs paired with the component video inputs by default.

Edit: Note that the manual addendum and flashing instructions (including instructions for checking your firmware version) are included with the firmware update download. If you already have the latest firmware installed, you can also download the manual addendum separately for reference.
post #1926 of 1953 Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterZ0 View Post

I think my RX-V665 may not have had this capability out-of-the-box, but I think it was added in a firmware update available from Yamaha's web site. You have to flash the firmware by burning it to a CD or DVD as audio data and playing it into the RX-V665 via a player that is connected via an optical or coax audio connection.

The firmware update comes with a manual addendum that explains how to pair arbitrary audio inputs with each video input.

I had to do this in order to connect my Wii via component video, as it supplies audio only via stereo analog RCA connections and I seem to recall that the RX-V665 only has digital audio inputs paired with the component video inputs by default.

Edit: Note that the manual addendum and flashing instructions (including instructions for checking your firmware version) are included with the firmware update download. If you already have the latest firmware installed, you can also download the manual addendum separately for reference.

I think this may be exactly what I need. Thanks a lot for that. Also Anikun07, your help has been invaluable. Thank you so much!

post #1927 of 1953 Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM

I have a Blue Ray player and satellite receiver going through my V665 to my TV via HDMI. Everything has worked great for several years until the other day. Now it appears that my V665 is not outputting via HDMI to my TV. When I try to go to settings the menu options only stay on the display for about a second and the pass through light is not on the receiver's display. Any ideas.
post #1928 of 1953 Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked: 13
Hey everyone!
I've been wanting to get a set of outside speakers. Is there any speakers I could get that would be wireless and would work with this receiver? I'd rather not have to run wires threw my living and threw the kitchen to my porch.
post #1929 of 1953 Old 06-09-2014, 04:13 PM

hi all.i have a rxv 665 and it only works intermittantly.the display lights up etc every time but more often than not there is no sound at all from any source.ie even the tuner .i change nothing and one day it will work fine and others not.recently it would cut out if i had it turned up reasonably loud.any help would be apreciated guys regards mike 

post #1930 of 1953 Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike40sydney View Post

hi all.i have a rxv 665 and it only works intermittantly.the display lights up etc every time but more often than not there is no sound at all from any source.ie even the tuner .i change nothing and one day it will work fine and others not.recently it would cut out if i had it turned up reasonably loud.any help would be apreciated guys regards mike 
have you checked all connections, both power and signal? Any indications on the front panel that maybe the source signal is getting lost? Maybe also blow dust out with some compressed air and make sure the unit is ventilated in case some components are overheating.
post #1931 of 1953 Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 AM

thanks heaps for the reply there is nothing out of the ordinary there i will give it a blow out on the weekend and try that.its just strange that one day it will work and others not.it was on this morning for about 3 hrs then same thing happened.all display working but just the sound cut out and didnt return

post #1932 of 1953 Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike40sydney View Post

thanks heaps for the reply there is nothing out of the ordinary there i will give it a blow out on the weekend and try that.its just strange that one day it will work and others not.it was on this morning for about 3 hrs then same thing happened.all display working but just the sound cut out and didnt return
If it's not showing any indications on the display when the sound cuts out then I'd guess that some internal component of the receiver could be failing. Hope the cleaning helps.
post #1933 of 1953 Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys I need some help, I have a new setup with a BenQ W1500 projector and a new Yamaha RX-V665.
The picture is very grainy when running through the Yamaha and is great if I go directly from the BluRay to the projector and bypass the Yamaha.
Is there a special setting somewhere on the Yamaha I am overlooking?
I have a full post regarding this in the projector section but I think it is the Yamaha that is the problem, here is the other thread:

New Setup Benq W1500

HELP!!
post #1934 of 1953 Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I am here asking for a friend, so sorry if this has already been covered...

He says that when watching a movie the only audio listening mode options are the ones selectable on the remote - PLII, DTS: Neo, 7.1 Extended (or something like that), various options under Game such as RPG or Sports, etc. He noticed that when watching movies on disc my Onkyo will read "DTS HD MA" or "TrueHD" or even "Dolby D" ...but none of these ever show on his display.

Is there some setting that needs to be adjusted? Or does the display on this particular model just not show those, no matter what?

post #1935 of 1953 Old 06-26-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
It sounds like you are only getting a stereo signal to the AVR. The receiver can only decode what the source provides to it, from the DVD, BDP, game console or whatever. If the source outputs a DD or DTS signal the AVR will automatically switch to that mode, otherwise you are left with the modes you listed.
KtrainHurricane likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #1936 of 1953 Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post
Hi, I am here asking for a friend, so sorry if this has already been covered...

He says that when watching a movie the only audio listening mode options are the ones selectable on the remote - PLII, DTS: Neo, 7.1 Extended (or something like that), various options under Game such as RPG or Sports, etc. He noticed that when watching movies on disc my Onkyo will read "DTS HD MA" or "TrueHD" or even "Dolby D" ...but none of these ever show on his display.

Is there some setting that needs to be adjusted? Or does the display on this particular model just not show those, no matter what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
It sounds like you are only getting a stereo signal to the AVR. The receiver can only decode what the source provides to it, from the DVD, BDP, game console or whatever.
Hi KtrainHurricane, agree with RobLee. One setting to check on the receiver would be Audio Out is not set to AMP+TV but set to AMP.
post #1937 of 1953 Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Ok guys, thanks. I will look into both of those.

I was over his house the other night and DID notice that he had his HDMI cables done in an interesting way...for one source (forgot which) he was using HDMI for video and optical for audio, because he "wasn't sure how to get both to work with just HDMI."

I re-did everything for him - all HDMIs into receiver, then receiver out to TV - but am thinking that there was probably some setting that was causing the issue, like JChin suggested. I knew it had to either be that, or the AVR just didn't display which audio format it was decoding...

post #1938 of 1953 Old 06-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
It sounds like you are only getting a stereo signal to the AVR. The receiver can only decode what the source provides to it, from the DVD, BDP, game console or whatever. If the source outputs a DD or DTS signal the AVR will automatically switch to that mode, otherwise you are left with the modes you listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi KtrainHurricane, agree with RobLee. One setting to check on the receiver would be Audio Out is not set to AMP+TV but set to AMP.

I went in and checked the settings of the AVR. I saw that the receiver Audio Out was in fact set to "TV" so I switched it to "AMP." In order to do this, I was required to turn the main setting (forgot what it was called) to "Off."

Although I did this, the receiver still only reads "HDMI 1"...or whatever source we happen to be watching. Again, my Onkyo reads what audio the AVR is outputting, so that is what I am used to. Is there a way to check to make sure it actually is outputting in DTS or Dolby or whatever, as opposed to just one of the PLII or other similar "listening modes" the AVR offers?

post #1939 of 1953 Old 06-28-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Although I did this, the receiver still only reads "HDMI 1"...or whatever source we happen to be watching. Again, my Onkyo reads what audio the AVR is outputting, so that is what I am used to. Is there a way to check to make sure it actually is outputting in DTS or Dolby or whatever, as opposed to just one of the PLII or other similar "listening modes" the AVR offers?
The remote should have a button (either Info or Option) to call up information on what audio or video signal is being input.
post #1940 of 1953 Old 06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The remote should have a button (either Info or Option) to call up information on what audio or video signal is being input.
If I press "Option" on its own, nothing seems to happen. If I press "Option" after already having been in the "Setup" menu, it brings me to a settings page that I am able to adjust...this is where I switched from "TV" to "AMP."

The only audio signal choices seem to still be PLII, Neo: 6, 7.1 or 2.1 enhancer, GAME, MUSIC, etc. Nothing for DTS HD or Dolby or anything like that. The only other choices are "Straight" and "Direct" but I don't believe those are what I am looking for, either.

post #1941 of 1953 Old 06-29-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
..Although I did this, the receiver still only reads "HDMI 1"...or whatever source we happen to be watching. Again, my Onkyo reads what audio the AVR is outputting, so that is what I am used to. Is there a way to check to make sure it actually is outputting in DTS or Dolby or whatever, as opposed to just one of the PLII or other similar "listening modes" the AVR offers?

As already suggested you want to use the Info button on the remote (Info is on the left side just below the FM button). Press it repeatedly to choose what type of information is displayed. It's described on page 24 of the 665 manual.

Also the receiver doesn't "output" in DTS, Dolby etc. That's the input format it's getting from your source. If, for example, you saw PCM when you expected DTS, the problem would be a setting on the source not the receiver.
post #1942 of 1953 Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The only other choices are "Straight" and "Direct" but I don't believe those are what I am looking for, either.
I believe for the receiver to decode you want to use the Straight decoder button with the source set to bitstream. The display screen may not constantly show the format like your Onkyo without pressing a button.

post #1943 of 1953 Old 06-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
As already suggested you want to use the Info button on the remote (Info is on the left side just below the FM button).
It was actually suggested that I used "Info" OR "Option"...and as I said I used the Option button but that did something else. Just trying to be clear of what that choice did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Also the receiver doesn't "output" in DTS, Dolby etc. That's the input format it's getting from your source. If, for example, you saw PCM when you expected DTS, the problem would be a setting on the source not the receiver.
I think it was quite clear what I meant...but thanks for correcting me. Sorry I don't know the right phraseology for this stuff.

Still, though, does the receiver really not "output" those formats? I understand that it receives (i.e. those formats are input into the AVR)...but does it not then "output" that format through the speakers, after receiving the info from the disc?

Quote:
I believe for the receiver to decode you want to use the Straight decoder button with the source set to bitstream. The display screen may not constantly show the format like your Onkyo without pressing a button.

Ok, thanks. While in the "Setup" or "Options" menu (can't remember which one it was) I did see that one of the settings was on PCM...I am assuming this is the one that needs to be changed to "Bitstream." However, I could not figure out how to change it (I did try)...the scroll buttons did not allow me to select that option and make adjustments to it. Perhaps I am just an idiot and rushed through it though. I will try again tonight.

post #1944 of 1953 Old 06-29-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
...Still, though, does the receiver really not "output" those formats? I understand that it receives (i.e. those formats are input into the AVR)...but does it not then "output" that format through the speakers, after receiving the info from the disc?
Everything is the same once decoded and converted to analog for the speakers. The number of channels can vary, but there's no concept of audio format at the speakers.
post #1945 of 1953 Old 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

There is an "info" button somewhere on the remote, which will toggle the front panel display between three options: input, decode, and something else (sorry I don't remember... I don't actually use my Yamaha anymore). When it is on "input, which I think it defaults to, it will display "HDMI") It takes a few seconds after changing to decode for it to change from PCM to Dolby Digital. The whole thing is very frustrating for me every time I have to go back and "rediscover" how to make the front panel display what I want to see. We still use a Yammie in our vacation home, so I only go thru this it once a year, so forgive me for not remembering exactly.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #1946 of 1953 Old 07-05-2014, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sorry to keep this going, but can you please tell me how to switch from PCM to Bitstream?

We watched another movie tonight and I used the "Info" button as suggested to display the audio format, and was pleased to finally see Dolby PLII, Dolby Digital, etc. However, when we put a Blu-ray disc in (Star Wars: V), the receiver just displayed "PCM" the entire time.

When I hit the "Setup" button on the AVR remote and then "Options" I can bring up a list that shows the audio is set to PCM...but it does not allow me to make any adjustments on this screen, only view.

I pulled up the manual online and searched through it, but still could not find a solution to this...which is why I am asking here.

post #1947 of 1953 Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sorry to keep this going, but can you please tell me how to switch from PCM to Bitstream?
The setting is in the blu-ray player, not the AVR. Also some BD player require another setting, Secondary Audio or Audio Mix to be turned off to get the HD audio.

What model blu-ray player does your friend have?
post #1948 of 1953 Old 07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The setting is in the blu-ray player, not the AVR. Also some BD player require another setting, Secondary Audio or Audio Mix to be turned off to get the HD audio.

What model blu-ray player does your friend have?
A recently-purchased Sony S3100

post #1949 of 1953 Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A recently-purchased Sony S3100
Go into BD player Audio Menu to set Digital Audio Output -> "Auto" and BD Audio Mix Settings -> "Off".
post #1950 of 1953 Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Note that in most BD players, setting downmix to off will indeed allow the AVR to decode the HD audio, but may interfere with any audio overlay when you are watching BD extras or PIP (if you see the director talking but can't hear, go back into the BD player and turn on downmix)... as if life wasn't already too complicated

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page