AVS Forum banner

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread

386K views 2K replies 386 participants last post by  edreifuss 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd forward the fact that Yamaha just release all new RX-V_65 AV Receiver series
RX-V665 on Yamaha website

RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

Fully compatible with HD audio and video. Featuring HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out), 1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct, YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features.

MAIN FEATURES
  • Advanced Features
  • New SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio) - quick and simple to use
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • iPod compatibility via optional YDS-11 Universal Dock
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • On-screen display
  • Front panel mini jack for connecting portable audio player
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • HDMI CEC functionality
  • Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting
  • New preset remote unit
  • High Picture Quality
  • Analog video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out)
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 120Hz/24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction
  • Surround Realism
  • CINEMA DSP (17 DSP programs) with Adaptive DSP Level
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-240ms)
  • Versatile Zone Control
  • Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Lots of great features on the unit would like to know what you all think about it...just pulled all the stuff from the Yamaha website today

So hopefully someone finds the answers to these questions...regarding the RX-V665

1. Does it pass BTB and WTW over HDMI?

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

6. Does it display volume information over the OSD?

7. Is the OSD an overlay?

See less See more
#1,628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckledump /forum/post/19164409

so does the receiver need to be on in order for everything to work? what if i want to watch TV and i want to listen using the TV speakers, am i SOL? well? tell me!

The manual sheds some light on the "HDMI pass-through" function. But it only works for HDMI inputs and only the one that's selected when you turn the AVR off.

#1,629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth /forum/post/19158058

All of my equipment is in a 14U rack and while I can power externals fan(s) from the computer I'm looking for any way I can power a fan when the Yamaha rx-v665 comes on. Just a basic 120MM Computer Case fan with 1/4 amp load at 12V.

I've never used this feature, but the manual shows a TRIGGER OUT jack on the back of the receiver that outputs 12v, with a max of 0.1A.

The manual doesn't appear to say how it functions but i reckon it outputs 12v when the receiver is on and no volts when its off. If you've got a multimeter you should be able to test how it works.

Your fan draws more than 0.1A so you'll need a 12v relay. Use the trigger to power the coil of the 12v relay and connect an external 12v supply and the fan to the switched contacts on the relay.

#1,630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckledump /forum/post/19164409

so does the receiver need to be on in order for everything to work? what if i want to watch TV and i want to listen using the TV speakers, am i SOL? well? tell me!

If your speakers are connected to the TV directly it won't affect them. A standalone Player (Blu-ray, dvd) could be wired with component to the TV and Fiber Optic/Spdif to the receiver (I do both of these now)

#1,631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyouaunty /forum/post/19164957

I've never used this feature, but the manual shows a TRIGGER OUT jack on the back of the receiver that outputs 12v, with a max of 0.1A.

The manual doesn't appear to say how it functions but i reckon it outputs 12v when the receiver is on and no volts when its off. If you've got a multimeter you should be able to test how it works.

Your fan draws more than 0.1A so you'll need a 12v relay. Use the trigger to power the coil of the 12v relay and connect an external 12v supply and the fan to the switched contacts on the relay.

I was looking at that in the manual too but get the impression that the trigger was an input device, but as you mention I could check it with a multi meter to be sure. Thanks for the relay suggestion. If nothing else I COULD use a wall wart, NC switch and an indicator light to indicate when the fan is on. Seems to be a bit of low cost thermostats used for heat control in greenhouses too.

#1,632 ·
I love a bargain. Purchased the above AVR dirt cheap from Newegg, connected it to a Dish 625 DVR (SD) and monitor out to a Viewsonic TV with no HDMI in. Bought a refurb sony BD s360 dirt cheap, bought a ROKU. The blu ray and roku have HDMI outs. The TV does not. The Yamaha manual and addendum confuse me. So here's the question. Is it possible to run HDMI out from the ROKU and the BD-360 into HDMI in on the 765 and somehow have them display on the Viewsonic. This is a short term problem as I will soon get a Sammy Plasma with HDMI in (a couple of paychecks away) and hope to upgrade to Dish HD (but that's a long story about Dish Customer Service and outlandish charges). Also both the Dish 625 and the BD-360 have optical out for audio. I'm embarrassed to be asking but so far my reading and research have only further confused me. Be gentle be specific and thanks

#1,633 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryan49 /forum/post/19178079

I love a bargain. Purchased the above AVR dirt cheap from Newegg, connected it to a Dish 625 DVR (SD) and monitor out to a Viewsonic TV with no HDMI in. Bought a refurb sony BD s360 dirt cheap, bought a ROKU. The blu ray and roku have HDMI outs. The TV does not. The Yamaha manual and addendum confuse me. So here's the question. Is it possible to run HDMI out from the ROKU and the BD-360 into HDMI in on the 765 and somehow have them display on the Viewsonic. This is a short term problem as I will soon get a Sammy Plasma with HDMI in (a couple of paychecks away) and hope to upgrade to Dish HD (but that's a long story about Dish Customer Service and outlandish charges). Also both the Dish 625 and the BD-360 have optical out for audio. I'm embarrassed to be asking but so far my reading and research have only further confused me. Be gentle be specific and thanks

Hi pryan49, what model Roku box SD or HD? What type of video and audio input and output does the Viewsonic have?

No it will not down convert HDMI to analog.

#1,634 ·
The Roku has composite, s-video, component & HDMI inputs. The viewsonic has composite, s-video, component, vga and DVI inputs. The DVR and ROKU are connected via composite. The Blu Ray is connected to AV1 via component and optical. The DVR and Roku can be seen and heard. Not so the Blu Ray.

#1,635 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryan49 /forum/post/19178671

The Roku has composite, s-video, component & HDMI inputs. The viewsonic has composite, s-video, component, vga and DVI inputs. The DVR and ROKU are connected via composite. The Blu Ray is connected to AV1 via component and optical. The DVR and Roku can be seen and heard. Not so the Blu Ray.

If you want all three to run through 765:

- connect BD player to AV2 via component and coaxial

- connect Roku player to AV1 via component and optical

- connect DVR player to AV4 via composite and optical

Then output video from 765 Monitor Out to Viewsonic via component (red, blue, green) and composite (yellow).

#1,637 ·
It should come with the latest firmware, if even if not they only add a limited ability to assign various audio to digital video. With everything connected via HDMI the updates are not relevant.

the default settings should get you going well enough, just run YPAO following the instructions exactly. And read the entire manual several times.

#1,638 ·
I just placed an order through Newegg.com for this receiver, so I should receive it sometime next week.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver that I purchased refurbished a few years ago and it has worked just fine for me, I just need a receiver with HDMI inputs and that can output HD audio.

I have never owned a Yamaha receiver before.

I will be hooking up a DirecTV HR-22 receiver (via HDMI), Xbox 360 (via HDMI or component), and LG 570 Blu-ray player (via HDMI). The output will be fed to a Samsung LCD.

I have Polk R50 fronts, Polk CS1 center, Infinity surrounds and Allison AL10 sub.

Is there anything I need to look out for?

Any firmware updates needed? Not needed?

#1,639 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 /forum/post/19199826

I just placed an order through Newegg.com for this receiver, so I should receive it sometime next week.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver that I purchased refurbished a few years ago and it has worked just fine for me, I just need a receiver with HDMI inputs and that can output HD audio.

I have never owned a Yamaha receiver before.

I will be hooking up a DirecTV HR-22 receiver (via HDMI), Xbox 360 (via HDMI or component), and LG 570 Blu-ray player (via HDMI). The output will be fed to a Samsung LCD.

I have Polk R50 fronts, Polk CS1 center, Infinity surrounds and Allison AL10 sub.

Is there anything I need to look out for?

Any firmware updates needed? Not needed?

Sounds like it will be a good setup. Not sure about updates though.

#1,640 ·
Just got my new RX-V665, and having a problem with my satellite box. I first tried to connect to the reciever with the hdmi-dvi cord, but as I expected this led to the usual HDCP problem. I next tried component video w/ optical audio cable, I get the sound but no picture. I've tried all of the possible TV inputs, the reciever is on AV1(TV). Is there something obvious that I am missing here?

#1,641 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshimon /forum/post/19240256

Just got my new RX-V665, and having a problem with my satellite box. I first tried to connect to the reciever with the hdmi-dvi cord, but as I expected this led to the usual HDCP problem. I next tried component video w/ optical audio cable, I get the sound but no picture. I've tried all of the possible TV inputs, the reciever is on AV1(TV). Is there something obvious that I am missing here?

Hi Toshimon, try changing the resolution (pg 54) or set Monitor Check to Skip (pg 60).

Also check the Yamaha website for the lastest firmware update.

#1,642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshimon /forum/post/19240256

Unless you have HDMI upconversion turned on in the 665, you'd have to output component to the TV. Frankly that's a better quality way to go since the conversion quality is pretty marginal in the 665.

Without knowing what it is or how it's connected, it's hard to offer suggestions about the sat box or TV settings. But you may need to make some settings in the sat box to output what you want over component.

#1,643 ·
Had this receiver for a couple of days now and am finding it quite frustrating. I was able to find an update for my Motorola satellite box which has made it easier to use the DVI/HDMI cable when connected directly to the TV, but the only HDMI input that works on the Yamaha is HDMI1. If I try to use any of the other HDMI inputs, for example for my DVD player or even the BD player I either get nothing or only the sound. I have seen an Amazon review for this receiver that mentions this exact same problem. As it stands right now I may as well have kept my old Yamaha that had only 2 HDMI, at least they both worked.

#1,644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshimon /forum/post/19247529

Had this receiver for a couple of days now and am finding it quite frustrating. I was able to find an update for my Motorola satellite box which has made it easier to use the DVI/HDMI cable when connected directly to the TV, but the only HDMI input that works on the Yamaha is HDMI1. If I try to use any of the other HDMI inputs, for example for my DVD player or even the BD player I either get nothing or only the sound. I have seen an Amazon review for this receiver that mentions this exact same problem. As it stands right now I may as well have kept my old Yamaha that had only 2 HDMI, at least they both worked.

Motorola cable boxes are by far the most buggy for HDMI use. So much so in fact that most people use the component video output direct to the TV with optical to the AVR. This is true regardless of what AVR you use. As to the other issues you appear to be reporting, I'd suspect a setup problem.

#1,645 ·
Sigh... my dream was to one day not have a bunch of cables running up the wall to the TV. Like many people one of my main reasons for choosing this particular receiver was to have everything simplified, running through one single HDMI cable to the monitor. I've become aware since getting the Yamaha of the Motorola problems, and have resigned myself to sticking with component video & optical audio, but the one thing I really wanted to do was hide my kids Wii cables by running it through the receiver. This isn't looking promising either, but I can live with it. But having 3 HDMI inputs that are not useable out of the box is something I have never experienced before. Do they have to be activated before use? I can't find anything in the manual about it.

#1,646 ·
I've had this receiver for about a week now and I was just wondering if there was any way to listen to the radio or iPod while still watching TV?

I was able to do this all the time on my old Onkyo receiver.

Of course I did not run HDMI connections through that receiver (I ran HDMI directly from the devices to the display and a separate connection from the devices to the receiver).

#1,647 ·
My 665 works with a Motorola DVR just fine.

I did have to turn off HDMI passthru/control. But other than that, fine.

Oh, and I have to keep the 665 remote around.

The Motorola remote cant control the 665 power button for some reason (but it can do the volume and such once its on).

#1,648 ·
My satellite box is a Motorola DSR505 HD receiver, it can connect directly to the TV with the DVI/HDMI but not to the Yamaha 665 without the hdcp issue. I have now been able to connect to the 665 w/ component, but then you cannot use the passthrough featue, which was one of my main reasons for choosing the 665. My satellite provider is Shaw Direct (Canada), and after having done some research I have realized that even after firmware updates there seems to be no solution for owners of the 500 series here in Canada. I've been able to fix my hdmi input problem, I don't know how but its working. All in all the 665 is still a nice receiver, but other than the Pure Direct which is nice for music listening I could have just gone with the 465, as I use 5.1 anyways. The good thing is that there is now a new Motorola PVR which Shaw has just released, which uses a straight HDMI connection which is getting good reviews.

#1,649 ·
I have lurked in this forum off and on since the 665 came out, and finally bit the bullet last week and upgraded my 10-yr old pioneer avr. I've been putting the 665 through its paces and am thoroughly impressed with the sound quality. The one issue that I do have is with the 665s handling of Stereo content. I listen to a lot of stereo music, and I've noticed that the 665 does not utilize the sub unless the front speakers are set to Small. However, when I manually change the fronts, the sound quality is not as good from them. I'm assuming that the frequency range sent to the fronts is further limited at small and this is the lack of depth I'm experiencing.

So, my question is, how can I keep the depth of the fronts when set to large, but also include the sub for the bass?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.