**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1981 of 1984 Old 11-30-2015, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As far as I can tell from the manual, the front L/R preamp out lines should work. You could hook those lines to your older Yamaha and use it to power your second set of speakers.

The nice thing about that option is that you could put the second amplifier in the kitchen and control the volume locally without having to mess with the first amplifier. The power consumption wouldn't be terrible either, as you could just turn off the second amplifier when you don't want to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1984 Old 12-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I checked the manual. It says "When you make connections to the PRE OUT jacks, do not make any connections to the SPEAKERS terminals."
Does this mean that I can't have front L/R speakers powered by this amp and then wire the preamp out to another amp in the kitchen, which would be connected to the two speakers that are now configured as SB L/R? I don't see why that could be a problem but it seems like they're saying don't do it.
post #1983 of 1984 Old 12-05-2015, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My guess is that it might disable the preamp outputs when it detects that speakers are connected to the powered outputs.

If this is true, then you'd need to do something like installing a speaker selector to switch between speakers versus nothing (with the latter selection enabling the preamp outputs).

Unfortunately it looks like the only cost-effective way to go for a 5.1 speaker selector setup is to use 3 stereo selectors (one for front L/R, one for surround L/R, one for center/subwoofer), as stereo switchers are only $20-30USD, while the 5.1 switches are over $500USD for no good reason.
post #1984 of 1984 Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The RCA cable was $10, so $15 less than the speaker wire, thus I exchanged them and am going to give it a go next week. I remember reading a thread where someone said it worked. I *think* Yamaha may have put that there because it will mess up the DSP and such, but I can always turn them off.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page