post #181 of 1951 Old 04-25-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF70 View Post

I hate to get off the subject, but I need to ask a question about the front-panel indication for the audio encoding contained in blue-ray discs. I have my Pioneer Model BDP-51FD connected to one of the HDMI inputs of the Yamaha 665 and I am playing a blue-ray disc that contains a Dolby True HD audio track. I did set the Pioneer to output the HDMI audio as "auto", but the Yamaha 665 does not show the Dolby True HD indication. Is there a setting on the Yamaha 665 that I don't know about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you select the proper audio track? It does not always default to what you want.

Do you have HDMI audio output turned on in the receiver settings?

What signal are you getting at the receiver?

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1951 Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post

I have been reading the manual and I must be missing the section that explains how to edit the passthrough/upconversion option. How do you set the 665 to allow passthrough only without upconverting?

Page 58, just set the Resolution and Aspect to Through.
post #183 of 1951 Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by na_tra View Post

where do you get this price? would you mind to give out the place?

thanks

Don't know where he's talking about, but possibly 6th Ave. They immediately accepted $350 on their "Name Your Price" special and could have conceivably gone as low as $320.
post #184 of 1951 Old 04-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is the Blu-ray player set to bitstream or pcm?
post #185 of 1951 Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Don't know where he's talking about, but possibly 6th Ave. They immediately accepted $350 on their "Name Your Price" special and could have conceivably gone as low as $320.

really. i missed it. i did offer $350 last week but was turned down. let me try again
post #186 of 1951 Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF70 View Post

I hate to get off the subject, but I need to ask a question about the front-panel indication for the audio encoding contained in blue-ray discs. I have my Pioneer Model BDP-51FD connected to one of the HDMI inputs of the Yamaha 665 and I am playing a blue-ray disc that contains a Dolby True HD audio track. I did set the Pioneer to output the HDMI audio as "auto", but the Yamaha 665 does not show the Dolby True HD indication. Is there a setting on the Yamaha 665 that I don't know about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Bluray player has to be set to bitstream in order for the 665 to recognize it as a True HD stream. Otherwise it's receiving decompressed PCM from the bluray player.
post #187 of 1951 Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM

If it wasn't 6th Avenue, I'd guess he works for a electronics retailer and can get things at or around company cost. I'm only saying that because I do and my cost on the 665 was $320. It's my first receiver and, for my current needs, it works beautifully.
post #188 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM

anybody have thoughts on the cnet review of the 665?

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=mncol;lst

my 665 just shipped today & now i'm feeling slightly bummed & wondering if i should just refuse shipment & buy a 663...

any thoughts?
post #189 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
my thoughts are it basically confirms what everyone has been speculating about.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #190 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilydal View Post

anybody have thoughts on the cnet review of the 665?

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=mncol;lst

my 665 just shipped today & now i'm feeling slightly bummed & wondering if i should just refuse shipment & buy a 663...

any thoughts?

My thoughts are that I wouldn't call that a "review". They don't even understand the function of the "scene buttons". We already know that upscaling and upconverting video in a mid-level AVR is not good. We already know the digital inputs are not assignable. So that really just leaves sound quality. They didn't really have anything concrete to back up their claims of preference, other than they thought the Denon sounded better. But I'd suspect that the speakers used needed more power than the 665 can deliver.
All in all, they had more good things to say than bad.
post #191 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just because you already knew all that doesn't mean it's not a "review", although of course I agree with you about their subjective sound evalutations. That information (number and flexibility of inputs, quality of upconversion, etc) is largely useful to consumers making their purchase decision. A typical consumer going online to compare these mid-level units may want to know some of those basic things about connectivity, quality of the OSD/GUI, renameable inputs, multizone functions, and so on.

And while they don't put the receivers on the bench, they are pretty thorough with their video evaluation so it's not like their reviews are totally useless as is often asserted around AVS.

They have always been fans of Yamaha though, so I guess they are just disappointed like many of us here about how they cheaped out in several areas (namely power supply and stripping certain features). You are right though that it's more good than bad, and that the audio quality is generally praised (they just say they like the 1909 a little better).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #192 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

And while they don't put the receivers on the bench, they are pretty thorough with their video evaluation so it's not like their reviews are totally useless as is often asserted around AVS.

Well, like I said, nobody should expect good video processing in a mid-level AVR, and nobody has ever delivered that either.

The fact that they have no clue about what the SCENE buttons are for reveals a lot.

My interest in the 665 is for use as a pre/pro, so there's nothing in the review that dissuades me from that interest. I think we already know that the 765 is the replacement for the 663, not the 665.
post #193 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sad to see Yamaha getting as negative of a review as that, IMO.

It sounded fine to me at Ultimate, though. Might have been the speakers, who knows.

I was more concerned over it's overall look, lack of assignable inputs and such. I wonder how the 663 does on the same sort of VP test?

post #194 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Well, like I said, nobody should expect good video processing in a mid-level AVR, and nobody has ever delivered that either.

I agree with you completely and spend at least part of every day explaining to people that they shouldn't worry about video processing in their AVR's. But that doesn't mean some aren't better than others, and their reviews are still valid and fairly thorough in that respect.

Quote:

I wonder how the 663 does on the same sort of VP test?

CNet has also reviewed the 663 and done the same HQV tests for SD processing.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #195 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you remember the results? I can look them up I guess

post #196 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here ya go, I was just re-reading it right now:

Quote:

Video performance
The Yamaha RX-V663 is capable of upconverting analog signals to its HDMI output, so we put it through our video testing suite. We connected the Panasonic DMP-BD35 via component video to the RX-V663, with the DMP-BD35 set to 480i output. The RX-V663 was set to output at 480p (which is the highest resolution for upconverted signals) over its HDMI output, connected to the Panasonic TH-65VX100U.

As soon as we had the RX-V663 upconverting analog signals, we could see significant image instability, as even the setup menus of the DMP-BD35 looked pretty shaky. We loaded up Silicon Optix's HQV test suite in DVD, and the RX-V663 performed very poorly on the initial resolution test, compressing both vertical and horizontal resolution, which caused flickering and shakiness all over the image. The next two video-based tests were just as bad, as we observed a rotating white line full of jaggies, and the same thing on three pivoting lines. It also failed the 2:3 pull-down test, as we could see signal moire in the grandstands as the racecar drove by. AV receivers often struggle with video performance tests, but the RX-V663 was definitely below average.

The RX-V663 seemed to be reducing resolution more than normal, so we also took a quick look at our Avia test disc on DVD. We fired up its main resolution test pattern and the issue became clearer (or fuzzier, depending on how you look at it). The RX-V663 reduced horizontal resolution to about 400 lines, but vertical resolution was reduced all the way to somewhere between 300 and 350 lines of resolution. That's severe enough that even nonvideophiles will probably notice something isn't right.

Moving on from test patterns, we fired up the opening scene to Star Trek: Insurrection. As you'd expect from the test patterns, it looked pretty rough as it failed to kick into 2:3 pull-down processing mode, and the reduced resolution was readily apparent. Next up was the difficult introduction scene from Seabiscuit. Again, the RX-V663 struggled, with jaggies filling nearly the entire screen during the pans of black and white photographs. It's hard to recommend this receiver for upconverting analog video signals.

On the upside, it's worth pointing out that the RX-V663 also does not scale incoming HDMI video signals, and instead passes them perfectly through to the display. This means that if you only intend to use the HDMI video inputs on the RX-V663, you can ignore the previous comments on video performance, as they only apply to analog signals.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-32869451.html

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #197 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, sounds like the 665 is about the same. Thanks!

post #198 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

CNet has also reviewed the 663 and done the same HQV tests for SD processing.

The 663 does not do up-scaling, the 665 does. That's important to remember, cause any comparison is meaningless unless you turn off up-scaling in the 665. The conversion from analog to HDMI is probably similar in the 2 units though. The de-interlacing in either unit will be very bad, and it appears that neither will pass 480i with digital conversion turned on.

so the situation is unchanged from the 663 to 665, it's much better to pass analog as analog and let your monitor do the conversion and scaling.
post #199 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 PM

i'm pretty new to the avr world & my main concern is sound quality...on second reading of the cnet review, it seems that in my situation, the 665 will be fine...i have a smallish room using the lower-end c-series energy speakers...plus, this is replacing a crappy sony htib, so my expectation bar is pretty low
post #200 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i'm pretty new to the avr world & my main concern is sound quality...on second reading of the cnet review, it seems that in my situation, the 665 will be fine...i have a smallish room using the lower-end c-series energy speakers...plus, this is replacing a crappy sony htib, so my expectation bar is pretty low

You should be fine, and if you use it to it's fullest potential you will be very pleased with all the new toys it has. Best thing is that if you want to upgrade to more power, it has line-outs for just that purpose.
post #201 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 PM

can the L,C,R,RS,LS pre outs be used hooked up to a 5 channel amp at the same time using the SBR and SBL (speaker level) of the 665? I have an old B&K 7.1 reciever and want to use the rxv665 as a preamp. My B&K only has 5.1 inputs.
post #202 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe I am deaf, but the 665 sounded fine to me. It might lack a bit for power, but I felt it did fine when I heard it at Ultimate Electronics.

post #203 of 1951 Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMike View Post

can the L,C,R,RS,LS pre outs be used hooked up to a 5 channel amp at the same time using the SBR and SBL (speaker level) of the 665? I have an old B&K 7.1 reciever and want to use the rxv665 as a preamp. My B&K only has 5.1 inputs.

I believe so, it's supposed to have pre amp outputs. Hopefully they are sufficient to drive your amp. Download the manual to be sure.

post #204 of 1951 Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMike View Post

Yes, AFAIK, you can use any combination of channels as long as you don't have speakers and line-out connected to the same channel at the same time.
post #205 of 1951 Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 AM

Liked: 11
I ordered an RX-V665 from Sixth Ave and it was just shipped yesterday so I should have it in a couple more days.
Unfortunately I have very limited space for a receiver in my TV stand. I made the mistake of buying a stand when I got the TV but before I started looking into the rest of the components. I'm limited to something that is less than 6.25" in height. There are very few AVR's that will fit in that space but from what I can tell the Yamaha 665 is probably the best.
I'm really hoping it will sound okay. My speakers are all Energy RC-Minis and I will never go beyond 5.1 so my guess is the power will be sufficient to drive them.
This is my first home theater set up so I don't really know what to expect in terms of sound. I'm an old music enthusiast who has had semi-high end audio components (separates) for many years, so I know good sound when I hear it.
The home theater will be probably be about 80% movies/TV and 20% music, so I'm hoping the sound will be good enough. If not, it will mean the hassle and expense of getting rid of my current TV stand and buying another one, which I really don't want to do.
post #206 of 1951 Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavitz View Post

Unfortunately I have very limited space for a receiver in my TV stand. I made the mistake of buying a stand when I got the TV but before I started looking into the rest of the components. I'm limited to something that is less than 6.25" in height. There are very few AVR's that will fit in that space but from what I can tell the Yamaha 665 is probably the best.

You will want to make sure that you have a descent amount of space on all sides, including the top, for the receiver to dissipate heat. If you are planning on cramming this receiver in a very tight spot with little to no clearance on top, you will be dealing with over heating issues like it shutting off or worse.
post #207 of 1951 Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zargon View Post

You will want to make sure that you have a descent amount of space on all sides, including the top, for the receiver to dissipate heat. If you are planning on cramming this receiver in a very tight spot with little to no clearance on top, you will be dealing with over heating issues like it shutting off or worse.

There will be about 1-1/2" above and lots of space on either side. The stand is also open on the back.
post #208 of 1951 Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM

I currently have a 661 and it gets quite warm even though it only is responsible for driving back surrounds... every other speaker is powered by separate amps. Anyone know if the 665 runs cooler than the 661 or 663, which I presume are more similar to each other than to the 665?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #209 of 1951 Old 05-02-2009, 07:06 PM

I just received my new rx-v665 and was hooking it up today but was having a few issues I was hoping you could help me with.

What I'm trying to do is pass all of my composite/component video/audio through the single HDMI output. Right now I have a component in AV1 and composites in AV5 and AV6. I also have my HDMI 1080p 1.3 cable from HDMI monitor out to the TV HDMI 1 input.

I have a 720p TV (Toshiba 50hp66) so I need to convert the composite/component video to 720p.

I've read through the manual (page 54) and tried to change the resolution Function>HDMI>resolution to 720p, but all it will let me select is the " *through ". I think this might be my issue? If so, do you happen to know how it will allow me to select the other options (720p)?

Another thing I thought of is the cable - I purchased a 1080p 1.3 cable - I'm kind of doubting this is my issue, but wanted to make sure.
post #210 of 1951 Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 PM

So is there any difference between the 765 and 665 besides a little more power???
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V665bl 630 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page