rxv1800 poor sound from Dell Studio Slim - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-20-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Dell Studio Slim Desktop to add to my home theater. I upgraded it to play Bluray, which meant they added an ATI video card to it. I was instruced to use that for the hdmi and not the motherboard hdmi for the video. The guy at dell said to use the mobo hdmi for the sound, but that's stupid. There is an spdif RCA jack output I connected to my Yamaha rxv 1800 coaxial digital in. This seemed ok for awhile, but now I get this awful hissing and distortion in the sound from anything on the computer. I thought it might be radiowaves, but a shielded coax cable run outside of the cabinet doesn't help. I also discovered that the sound is all coming from the hdmi! I have been to manual setup in the yamaha and told it to allow the digital and the hdmi, but no sound comes in when I disconnect the hdmi. On the dell, I made the coax default. When I hit "test", there is a jump on the audio slidebar as if a signal went out, but no sound from the AVR. I don't know how to troubleshoot this. I'm concerned I haven't set up the yamaha correctly to get the video from the hdmi and the audio from the spdif. It also doesn't make sense to me that I'm getting sound through the video card, but that is the only connection between the two. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just got my slim, no bluray, but the only problem i had was getting spdif passthrough to work with my receiver.

in installed ac3filter and that fixed all my problems.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page