Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks:
I thought I would start a thread for those who are looking for a new pre/pro and were considering the "coming soon" Outlaw Audio Model 997 preamp/ processor.

I'm currently running a B & K Reference 50 but I would really like something that has HDMI 1.3a (or better) and can deal with the lossless DD and DTS codecs. Right now, the only other choice (without going into the stratosphere in price) seems to be the Integra DTC 9.8 which is a bit more expensive than the Outlaw and (I've heard) runs quite hot. But it does have a version of the Audyssey EQ capability which I admit I am curious about...

So as I wait for the 997 to be released I thought it would be interesting to talk with others who have their speakers and amps but are considering a new pre/pro.

mnilan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The Integra has been updated to a DHC-9.9 and it's Onkyo clone (or is the Integra the clone) the Onkyo PR-SC886P. I have owned the latter and it is a very good unit and does not run hot at all. It is a very excellent unit for the price--it is heavily discounted online.

These are real alternatives. I was interested in the 997 having been a very happy 990 owner for years but just couldn't wait any longer. I sold my 990, tried the Onkyo and settled on the Denon AVP-H1. Expensive yes, stellar performer though. The Anthem D2 is also in this league.

Hard to beat the Onkyo for being cost-effective. Check it out.

AudioBear
post #3 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM

Is the Onkyo, as opposed to the Integra, still current?
post #4 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

The two units I mentioned above are identical except for a couple of minor details.

They both have threads you could read. See also the OnkyoPro website.

http://www.onkyopro.com/

AudioBear
post #5 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have an 885 and it doesn't run hot. Also, I didn't pay MSRP for mine...it was much less You may want to haggle before making your mind up and not look into the Onkyo/Integra
post #6 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Emovita announced the preliminary XMC specs on thier forum. With the projected price slightly lower than the 997, I think these two units will be going head to head for market share. Niether of units are out yet but I was wondering how the older units of the companies matched up SQ wise.
post #7 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM

I have been a very satisfied 990 owner, but a Onkyo PR-SC886 found it's way into my HT today. So far, I am impressed and I can only surmise that the 997 will be good competition. I tried to wait as long as I could, but the price I got was worth the jump now. Nothing personal, but I feared that by the time the 997 finally made it out, I wouldn't of had the $$$ to spend on it anyway.
I will put my 990 up for sale before the bottom drops out on it anyway.

So far the 886 has not let me down and yes, it doesn't run any warmer than my 990 did. Time will tell....
post #8 of 61 Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Folks:
The word that the Onkyo/Integras run hot seems to have been effectively quashed. I am glad to hear that as it widens the possibilities.

I am also interested in finding out more about the Emotiva XMC-1. I did go to their "Forums" area and look around, the specs are not immediately apparent. I will have to go search some more. If I can get a link, I will post it.

mnilan
post #9 of 61 Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I couldn't wait for the Outlaw anymore either and picked up an Integra 9.9 pre. Very happy.

Kaboom.
post #10 of 61 Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

I am also interested in finding out more about the Emotiva XMC-1. I did go to their "Forums" area and look around, the specs are not immediately apparent. I will have to go search some more. If I can get a link, I will post it.

Emotiva XMC-1 preliminary specs

That list is missing Dolby Volume, which is a confirmed feature. However, the XMC-1 is still a long ways off (over half a year, probably).

Justin
post #11 of 61 Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NYSports:
Thanks for the link. The Emotiva XMC-1 does indeed look interesting.

mnilan
post #12 of 61 Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtah View Post

...a Onkyo PR-SC886 found it's way into my HT today. So far, I am impressed and I can only surmise that the 997 will be good competition...

camtah:
It's clear that I need to look into this Onkyo as well. The range of pre/pros that will do what I want is expanding. I stopped actively looking about nine months ago because at that time, there wasn't anything south of the Anthem with an appropriate feature set and the Anthem was (is) too rich for my blood. I have no high end stores in my area but I am in no panic so I will check out these units as I travel over the next few months.

One minor aesthetic question: I don't use a rack, so can you tell me if those rack ears on the Onkyo PR-SC886 can be removed? WAF isn't everything but it always helps not to run into it...

mnilan
post #13 of 61 Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM

I too have finally gave up on the Outlaw...I simply can't wait anymore. I decided to go with the Onkyo 886. I do have an Outlaw amp which I love. I did hear that the rack mount can be removed...
post #14 of 61 Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I also gave up on the Outlaw and found an Integra DTC 9.8 to fill the void it left. It's really to bad as I liked my 990, and got a decent price it as well. The integra is a nice piece although it's a bit dark sounding to me.

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #15 of 61 Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Yes, the rack ears are removable. Mine do not have them installed as I do not currently need them
post #16 of 61 Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I also gave up on the Outlaw 997 since I have an Outlaw amp but also got tired of waiting and went with the Onkyo 886.
post #17 of 61 Old 03-09-2009, 05:15 PM

I also gave up and picked up a Marantz AV8003, a little more than I wanted to spend but it is awesome. I had a 970 and hated it but Outlaw was kind enough to give me credit toward a 990 which was good but lacked HDMI video. I really wanted to give the 997 a shot but I guess I'll now I'll wait for the 999.

Thanks,

Ron
post #18 of 61 Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

So are there still no updates on the 997? Did Sherwood finally get the receiver version out? I've been out of the loop since I figured it would be about now before anything changed.

I want my HDTV!
XBL: FNruthless
post #19 of 61 Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonov12 View Post

So are there still no updates on the 997? Did Sherwood finally get the receiver version out? I've been out of the loop since I figured it would be about now before anything changed.

this was posted in the Outlaw forum:
As those of you who have followed the progress of the Model 997 on our forum the Outlaw Saloon know, we are unable to launch the Model 997 until Sherwood Newcastle launches their version of the platform. While we certainly believed that their version of this joint venture would be shipping by now, we are unfortunately in a holding pattern until they do launch. Upon a successful launch of the Newcastle receiver, our version of the platform (the Model 997 Preamp Processor), will follow approximately 60 days later.
I, too, as a model 950 owner, have been waiting for the 997 as the last piece of my updated home theater. The talk is it won't be till at least the fall, maybe as late at October. ugh!

post #20 of 61 Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

and this was also posted....
The Sherwood R-972 information that Alex mentioned is the latest we have - first production run due to be in port roughly now (yesterday), followed by final QC and probably installation of firmware updates before distribution to dealers. How long will that take? No clue. I'd guess Alex's mid-July is probably a good guess (including QC, firmware revisions, installation of final production firmware, and shipping to dealers).

Add 60 days to that, and the earliest Outlaw is supposed to be able to have Model 997's would be mid-August. Murphy's law says the earliest is likely to be difficult to achieve, so extend past that as you see fit. I'm going to guess somewhere between September and October, but there's a sprinkling of pessimism in that.
double ugh!!

post #21 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 AM

Being on Outlaw Audio's e-mail list, this morning I received this latest bit of information regarding the 997 and thought it would provide useful information here. I'll include just the info regarding the 997 itself from said e-mail. (I hope that copying and pasting this info isn't some sort of violation of forum rules. I'm very new here! )

From Outlaw Audio:

As was the case with our Model 990, the platform for our new flagship processor is a joint development with our long term friend Sherwood Newcastle. As a result, Sherwood Newcastle will deliver the first expression of this platform, a 7.1 channel receiver. Our Model 997, the exclusive processor on this platform, will follow approximately 60 days later. Sherwood Newcastle will introduce their receiver sometime between late June and mid-July, and once that date is finalized we will update you on the Model 997's final release schedule.

At the present time pilot production samples of the Model 997 are in the hands of a group of internal and external beta testers to stress-test both the product as a whole and the Outlaw-specific differences between our processor and Sherwood's receiver. In a product of this complexity there will undoubtedly be some bugs as it is exposed to a wide range of additional systems and enthusiasts. Beyond that, the beta testers are under a strict NDA that prohibits them from speaking about or even announcing their participation in the process.

The time it takes to resolve any bugs and re-test until we have the final software is the true determinant of the release date, as we won't ship the Model 997 until it is rock-solid. At this point we can say that the initial tests are positive and the Model 997 is well on its way to continuing the tradition of excellence that the Outlaw family of products has come to define. This is particularly true when it comes to the testers' initial responses to the Model 997's implementation of Trinnov EQ, which have exceeded even our own lofty expectations for this incredible technology. Most importantly, the beta testers have raved about how cohesive movie soundtracks become once the groundbreaking algorithms utilized by Trinnov are employed in their systems. One tester went so far as to say that the Trinnov EQ technology "truly separates the men from the boys in the world of home theater auto-equalization."

So... for those still waiting, it's seems that there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Rob
post #22 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
vld

I'm sticking to my guns and waiting for the 997! But by no means does that mean that I'm patiently waiting.
post #23 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG]I'm sticking to my guns and waiting for the 997! But by no means does that mean that I'm patiently waiting. [IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

Hahah good on ya buddy! It may be a tough wait but it may well be worth it
post #24 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

In the new R-972 thread, Jeff from Sherwood gave the release date as Jan 2010. (seriously)

Jan. + Feb. + Mar. = April release date for Outlaw.
post #25 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

I'm sticking to my guns and waiting for the 997! But by no means does that mean that I'm patiently waiting.

I agree. don't mind waiting. my 950 still is an amazing piece of equipment. I'm sure the 997 will follow suit.

post #26 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Robert:

Stop it. We'll be releasing the first R-972's this week. Outlaw's 997 should be available before Labor Day (2009!).

Jeff

I'm waiting for the Outlaw. I have an Outlaw 7500 amp that I've been very happy with. I've been tempted to abandon ship and get the Intrga. But my current Pioneer receiver is only a 3 years old now and still very serviceable. No real reason not to wait.

The big reasons for me being willing to wait include: the ability to plug a laptop into the USB port and see what the heck Trinnov is doing and hopefully being able to make adjustments. - That at least was a mentioned feature way back when. Being able to tweak is big to me, because I like to play. It is like getting the $300 Audessy Pro for free.

Beyond that, it is the price and balanced outputs.

As soon the preorder list is announced, I'll probably be getting in line.

I understand those people who couldn't wait any longer. Hopefully, in a couple years we'll be reading posts of people giving up on Dennon and Onkyo waiting for them to come up with a response to Trinnov. We'll see if it is as great as they say.
post #27 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
any news on if it will be rackmountable?

Thanks
post #28 of 61 Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Stereo Jeff-

My Sincere Apologies.

Robert
post #29 of 61 Old 06-21-2009, 11:42 AM
vld

For the folks that aren't tracking the Newcastle R-972 threads, Peter Tribeman just posted this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tribeman View Post

We recently received Beta test samples of the Outlaw 997 pre amp-processor, the basic platform of which is based upon the Newcastle 972. We are currently taking these units through their rigid "shakedown cruise" and as you might expect there are a number of typical software bugs we have encountered. These components are truly small computers and the process of isolating and identifying every anomaly is always time consuming and tedious.

That being said, we concur with the observations of Chuck Back when it comes to the Trinnov processing. This indeed is something very special and to our ears we have not encountered anything quite like it in the world of consumer A/V products.

Trinnov has informed us that their consumer design delivers about 95% of the "processing capabilities" of their $14,000 professional units, which for the average living room borders on overkill.

We know that the final judgment on the capabilities of Trinnov will come from all those that purchase products with this circuitry integrated into the design. For the record, however, we are extremely impressed with what Trinnov can do for a variety of rooms, especially those of our Beta testers.

Peter Tribeman

Outlaw Audio

I'm getting more "antsy" each day for the 997 seeing the light of day!
post #30 of 61 Old 07-04-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm starting to feel my toes twitch in a major way here.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page