Can old receivers (without HDMI) handle blu-ray audio through optical input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old Onkyo SR601 which doesn't support HDMI interface. I want to know whether it can play back 5.1 channels of audio from a blu-ray player through the optical digital audio input.

If the blu-ray movies come with Dobby Digital or DTS like regular DVDs, i think the receiver shall not have any problem. But most blu-ray titles carry only the Dobby TrueHD audio format. If I use the optical output of the blu-ray player, does it internally convert the HD audio into Dobby Digital or DTS then pass them through the optical cable to my Onkyo? If the player only decodes the HD into PCM, would the optical cable only pass two channels?

Another hook-up approach is to link the player with HDTV using HDMI and then use the TV's optical output. Does this make any difference? Would TV internally do any decoding stuff?

Thanks

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisV View Post

If the blu-ray movies come with Dobby Digital or DTS like regular DVDs, i think the receiver shall not have any problem. But most blu-ray titles carry only the Dobby TrueHD audio format. If I use the optical output of the blu-ray player, does it internally convert the HD audio into Dobby Digital or DTS then pass them through the optical cable to my Onkyo? If the player only decodes the HD into PCM, would the optical cable only pass two channels?

I think you got it wrong. All blu-ray should have LPCM, Dolby Digital and DTS Surround. The HD sound are optional.
http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_audio_codecs
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisV View Post

I have an old Onkyo SR601 which doesn't support HDMI interface. I want to know whether it can play back 5.1 channels of audio from a blu-ray player through the optical digital audio input.

Another hook-up approach is to link the player with HDTV using HDMI and then use the TV's optical output. Does this make any difference? Would TV internally do any decoding stuff?

Thanks

Dennis

I've played about 20 blu ray movies on my Panasonic BD-35 connected to my HK AVR 325 via optical. I've always gotten Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS audio.

If you connect your blu ray to the TV via HDMI and then out of the TV's optical output, you will only get two channel stereo. This is not the way to go. The TV only sends out a Dolby Digital signal when its using the internal OTA or QAM tv tuner.

Afro GT
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I randomly pick one blu-ray disk info at: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=1282

It lists:

Samurai 7: The Complete Series Box Set Blu-ray
FUNimation Entertainment | 2004 | 650 mins | Rated PG-13 | Feb 24, 2009 (New Release)

Large: Front

Video
Video codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1

Audio

Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1

Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (less)

Subtitles

English
English (less)

Discs
50GB Blu-ray Disc
Three-disc set

Does this mean this movie not only has Dolby Digital but also the Dolby TrueHD?

Thanks

Dennis
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Does this mean the blu-ray player internally did some conversion, from TrueHD to DTS?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Does this mean the blu-ray player internally did some conversion, from TrueHD to DTS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I've played about 20 blu ray movies on my Panasonic BD-35 connected to my HK AVR 325 via optical. I've always gotten Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS audio.

If you connect your blu ray to the TV via HDMI and then out of the TV's optical output, you will only get two channel stereo. This is not the way to go. The TV only sends out a Dolby Digital signal when its using the internal OTA or QAM tv tuner.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Dennis, I'm a newb to all of this HDMI processing stuff too. However, I've gathered alot of info in the "reciever for under $400" thread and in the flat panel display devices section.
Anyway, from what I understand, if you send HDMI directly to your display, the source sees your display as having only two speakers (via HDMI "communication"). Therefore, your display will only output 2 channel audio over its digital output because that's all it was given in the first place.

I know this sucks. Because that's what I wanted to do too !!!

Hope this helps. If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, provided your receiver decodes DD and DTS, you will get the "core" DD and DTS over and optical/coax, but will not get the lossless True HD or DTS-HD.

You may want to look through this thread in the blu ray section on audio:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1040061

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #9 of 9 Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

"On Blu-ray, a Dolby Digital soundtrack is mandatory, while Dolby Digital Plus is optional. If a Blu-ray disc has a Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD bitstream, there will also be a Dolby Digital track to ensure downward compatibility".

"Support for DTS Digital Surround is mandatory in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, but it is optional for movie studios to use".

Above are some quotes from these link:
http://www.bigscreen.com/about/help.php?id=48
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page