Dolby Pro Logic IIz - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 550 Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know who all enjoys the PLz but I find it to be very good. I am going to try my Dipole/Bipole speakers as my height, and try another set of Dipole/Bipole as my surround/side speakers.
I wish I had a good match for center with my Boston A200 right and lefts though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 550 Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

I guess I've assumed that--now that both DPLIIz and Neo:X are released and 'stable'--Yamaha would continue with their existing strategy of licensing whatever new decoder IP is necessary, and then revising their proprietary CinemaDSP processing to include "replication" of new Dolby/DTS post processor modes (in addition to offering 'native' implementations of those same new post processors).

And it would definitely make sense for Yamaha AVRs to support configurations containing Front Wide speakers in the future . . . not doing so would likely discourage any brand switching to Yamaha by individuals who have already purchased--and are currently using--Front Wide speakers with some competitor brand AVR.

[But that's merely my own impure speculation...?!
]

Late to the forum but your reasoning is 100% correct! Hence my move from the Yamaha RX-A2000 to the Pioneer Elite SC-65. The presence speakers and loss of the rear channels when in use AND lack of Dolby IIz plus DTS Neo:X made me switch.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #543 of 550 Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
For those PL IIz lovers/users, give me your top 3 bluray demo material that showcased PL IIz , and the scene/chapter.

I'm gathering suggestions for a future HT showdown.
Quote:
[Demo material - so far I've gotten these recommendations:
A-DSX:
1) the attack scene from Pearl Harbor (especially the right to left fly by).
2) Ch. 2 of Wall*E where he's roaming the empty streets with background music (listen for the improved opening pan from LSurr to front).
3) Range also has a great rain scene that is very immersive.

DTS Neo:X
4) Expendables 2 which has a 7.1 mix specially optimised for DTS Neo:X 11.1. It is very impressive

/QUOTE]
post #544 of 550 Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok so we are a year further on, higher models now support IIz which was one of the concerns that wouldn't happen, eg Marantz 8801. DTS Neo X has also been in the wild now. Surely there are more AVS members that have played around with the technology. Has anyone changed ss9001 mind. One thing that concerns me is there has been very little movement from bluray content providers to make use of the technology.

Are ATMOS theatre titles encoding height info into the home mix, but not advertising it as a feature? Eg MOS, Oblivion etc
post #545 of 550 Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Huh? DD PLIIz has been supported on all 7.1 or higher D&M models for the past 4 years.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #546 of 550 Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Has anyone changed ss9001 mind. One thing that concerns me is there has been very little movement from bluray content providers to make use of the technology.

my words come back to haunt me smile.gif

actually, I changed my own mind on the height ch issue smile.gif I've been enjoying PLIIz and NeoX for > 1yr.

this is my take on both systems: on some tracks there's an enhancement, on some, little noticeable difference and on some, it can "detract" from the sense of envelopment by focusing your attention more on the front than on the rears & surrounds. what the effect is is highly dependent on the soundtrack. I have tried them both on music and prefer not to use heights with music. and so far I tend to prefer IIz over Neo X created height. Neo seems to blend more of the center & fronts into the height space. on the Yes Close to the Edge 5.1 Blu-ray I got recently, Neo X Music narrowed the soundfield considerably over PLIIx Music and made the rears seem very monophonic or monolithic wink.gif IIz just added a touch of ambience effect in the front so for me was much better in an A/B comparison if I were going to pick one at all. for 5.1 recorded music, I almost always use straight 5.1. in doing A/B comparisons on movie tracks, sometimes Neo X is "better" but to me, most of the time IIz is less intrusive in its impact on the front soundstage and allows me to enjoy the side & rear surrounds more.

I am glad I finally got it if no more than the option to use it. if I don't like the effect, I go back to IIx wink.gif

I do have one of the Neo X enhanced Blu-rays, Dredd, but haven't taken the time to watch it yet. I don't have wides and I don't expect to ever have wides in this house, since my speakers are large Magnepan planars which leave little room for putting wides in. it was a challenge to find suitable speakers for heights and the "right" place for them since the Maggies are 6' tall. I ended up putting the heights right up at the ceiling and positioned outside the Maggies so they add a bit more width on their own, they are positioned more like Audyssey DSX heights, not directly above the fronts but on the outside of them. it made no sense to put them directly above 6 ft speakers in a 9 ft tall room wink.gif as it is, I'm probably not getting the same effect as someone with bookshelves or normal height towers. this was part of my reasoning to begin with...that it didn't seem to make sense with better taller speakers...but I changed my mind on this after finally having the opportunity to try them.

now my challenge will be how to do VOG overhead-height channel when 3D object audio (MDA) finally comes to the home.

Steve
post #547 of 550 Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I have a unique opportunity to get some matching surrounds built to go with my L C R towers to create an 11 channel active setup. I am thinking its best to go all in and cover off the height and wide as I may not be able to do it again later, I'm looking long term as much as you can with this hobby, so it's nice to hear you've found it useful at times. I assume these will come more into play as the next format develops, but look to enjoy the benefits now. Anyone else changed their mind through trying out the technology?
post #548 of 550 Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Liked: 14
I've gone the IIz route and feel it does improve the front sound stage, but helicopters and rain on ceiling? Need to find a decent bluray to audition it(and an empty house free of other half and wee one so I can turn it up) . smile.gif

7.1 IIz heights
Onkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se
Boston acoustics A25 bookshelf speakers
Youview box
PS3
Apple TV
post #549 of 550 Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM

There was a good helicopter effect on Captain Phillips it would be interesting how it went in a 9 or 11 setup
Steve119 likes this.
post #550 of 550 Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

There was a good helicopter effect on Captain Phillips it would be interesting how it went in a 9 or 11 setup

Cheers will get it on bluray if I'm in town tomorrow smile.gif

7.1 IIz heights
Onkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se
Boston acoustics A25 bookshelf speakers
Youview box
PS3
Apple TV
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page