AVS Forum banner

Phono Input on receivers?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kplex 
#1 ·
I know this may come off as stupid
in this forum but its a chance i'll take

Need some education.

If the turn table has rca cable connections why won't it be able to connect to a receiver with rca connections?

What separates the regular auxiliary rca input from a phono input?

Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Chris, Kplex, thanks for the quick reply.

My dilema is that my son through the close out of cirucit city got me an Onkyo TX-SR606 as i start to get out of the dark ages and upgrade our music and home theatre which does not have a phono input. I am stuck with this so I guess my next question would be i need a phone preamp to make this work correct?

Any recomendations that would be a compliment and I can hook up my old vinyl machine to it?

I saw in a an earlier post as I was trying to get some info before i put up the thread a site for phonopreamps dot com but I'm not the biggest gearhead in town so would appreciate any more feedback.

Thanks.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc39 /forum/post/15929223

Chris, Kplex, thanks for the quick reply.

My dilema is that my son through the close out of cirucit city got me an Onkyo TX-SR606 as i start to get out of the dark ages and upgrade our music and home theatre which does not have a phono input. I am stuck with this so I guess my next question would be i need a phone preamp to make this work correct?

Any recomendations that would be a compliment and I can hook up my old vinyl machine to it?

I saw in a an earlier post as I was trying to get some info before i put up the thread a site for phonopreamps dot com but I'm not the biggest gearhead in town so would appreciate any more feedback.

Thanks.

I don't know if this will help or not put I had the same problem connecting a turntable to a PC sound card (converting LPs into MP3 files). Not enough output from the magnetic cartridge to drive the card. I bought a small phono pre-amp but it still didn't put out enough to drive the card. I solved my problem by buying a very cheap little amp from Radio Shack that had phono inputs for both ceramic and mag cartridges. I ran the output from the amps speaker jacks to the input on the sound card. Works great. I'm sure the specs on the RS amp aren't very good but with my old ears I can't tell the difference anyway! :) I keep the volume on the amp at about 1/4 which sends a good strong signal into the card but not too much. I use Adobe Audition to record to the hard drive. You might be able to do something similar using the Aux or Tape input on your Onkyo.

#6 ·
You can plug your record player into the receiver and get sound out of it. You won't break anything. However it won't sound very good. It will sound thin and the volume will be low. Depending on if/how you have the ground wire connected, there might also be some hum. Try it and it might be OK in the mean time until you're able to get a phono amp. Remember you can always adjust the bass on your receiver to compensate - this will be part of what the phono amp does anyway. How loud it will be will depend on the type of cartridge you have on your turntable.

Do a web search for phono amps and decide how much you're willing to spend for a longer term solution. This will essentially be a "black box" that connects between your turntable and receiver with RCA cables.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/15928340

Because turntable level output is significantly lower than line level....

There really is no standard for "turntable level output". The output actually comes from the cartridge, not the turntable itself. The output from 1 cartridge can easily be 10 times the output of another.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc39 /forum/post/15928306

I know this may come off as stupid
in this forum but its a chance i'll take

Need some education.

If the turn table has rca cable connections why won't it be able to connect to a receiver with rca connections?

What separates the regular auxiliary rca input from a phono input?

Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

A good place to shop for phono preamps is here http://www.musicdirect.com/category/24

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.