post #31 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic2k View Post

I think he wants to do so without running a Y-cable. If the 11a were to do this, it would just be splitting the front channels inside and sending to both output. It does have the benefit of simpler cabling and possibly better sound quality. (depends on the amp and the ouput drive of the 11a)

-Chris

There is no benefit to directing two sets of preouts to the the mains. I think you guys are confusing that with biamping from the amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Added.. I wonder if there's a Dolby License involved since Dolby lists specific receivers with this feature. Would be nice to have but I bet it's more than just a software update that would be involved.

Cirrus actually makes a version of the 497004 processor that has Dolby Volume built in. My understanding, however, is that it is something that is "hard coded" into the chip, so I don't believe it would be possible to add that feature as firmware.
post #33 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_A View Post

Cirrus actually makes a version of the 497004 processor that has Dolby Volume built in. My understanding, however, is that it is something that is "hard coded" into the chip, so I don't believe it would be possible to add that feature as firmware.

Makes sense.. same case with DialNorm you think?
post #34 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

well gang:

I uploaded the 1.03 patch last weekend then left town for work on Monday-this made it tough to listen and decide if the patch provided what i was hoping to have for a prepro. In short, the answer is "no". Looking only at audio and SD-DVDs, I find that the digital coax and toslink are as I would have hoped, and that the HDMI handshake is still brutally slow, with popping ocurring between channels/tracks/chapters, and after pauses...very noticeably after advancing HDTV shows. both image and sound are impacted when in HDMI feed. I've bypassed the problem by using the HDMI feed for video and the digital coax/toslink for my audio, but when I finally get a Blu-Ray player I'm going to be disappointed: is this about where the rest of you stand? How many people have contacted Cary about sending the 11A back for the HDMI chip correction?

Bryan...right now, I'm back to where I was with my Cinema 11...
post #35 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

flyv65-

Two things to try and/or check..

Ensure HDMI Audio OUT is set to off in the Cary setup menu. Also, try changing HDMI from bitstream to LPCM in the setup menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyv65 View Post

well gang:

I uploaded the 1.03 patch last weekend then left town for work on Monday-this made it tough to listen and decide if the patch provided what i was hoping to have for a prepro. In short, the answer is "no". Looking only at audio and SD-DVDs, I find that the digital coax and toslink are as I would have hoped, and that the HDMI handshake is still brutally slow, with popping ocurring between channels/tracks/chapters, and after pauses...very noticeably after advancing HDTV shows. both image and sound are impacted when in HDMI feed. I've bypassed the problem by using the HDMI feed for video and the digital coax/toslink for my audio, but when I finally get a Blu-Ray player I'm going to be disappointed: is this about where the rest of you stand? How many people have contacted Cary about sending the 11A back for the HDMI chip correction?

Bryan...right now, I'm back to where I was with my Cinema 11...

post #36 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:

There is no benefit to directing two sets of preouts to the the mains. I think you guys are confusing that with biamping from the amplifier.

In order to bi-amp one must first get that signal into the required amplifier channel. (send the same signal out two amplifier channels to be sent to the same speaker)

How would you propose he get that (duplicate) signal into the power amplifier?
A Y-cable or a processor are the two obvious options.

Seems to me to be a nice feature, though one I would not use. (in fact cannot, Dynaudio doesn't believe in bi-amping, I only have one set of binding posts)

-Chris
post #37 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In order to bi-amp one must first get that signal into the required amplifier channel. (send the same signal out two amplifier channels to be sent to the same speaker)

How would you propose he get that (duplicate) signal into the power amplifier?
A Y-cable or a processor are the two obvious options.

Seems to me to be a nice feature, though one I would not use. (in fact cannot, Dynaudio doesn't believe in bi-amping, I only have one set of binding posts)

-Chris

Bi-amping takes place at the amplifier not the preamp. For example, if you have a 4 channel amp, you can run two channels to each of the speakers. Essentially, bi-amping the two front speakers. Bi-amping has nothing to do with the processor. If you are referring to splitting the front left/right preouts to the amp, 99 percent of the time a simple Y splitter is used.

I think he might might talking about bridging the preouts instead of the Y adapter? I would think that's a hardware change. I guess it can be added to the list but I was thinking more software update-able requests.

post #38 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Tony, Have you ever understood the function of HDMI bitstream vs. PCM mode in the set up menu? If you think it is useless, please include it in the final wish list so Cary could remove it or make it "auto" in the next FW update.

I also noticed that whenever I engage PL2X while playing True HD or DTSHDMA, I am losing part of the front sound stage and while the back channels come active, it doesn't sound as good as the original sound track. This is true even when watching 5.1 from DirecTV.

I don't remember this happening with Integra processor with same lossless codecs upon engaging Neo6, PL2X or Neural 7.1 THX. Any thoughts from you and other users?

Peter
post #39 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To be honest, there should be no reason for to have LPCM and bitstream in the HDMI menu. However, as Jose confirmed in an earlier post it did have an affect in locking in DD from his cable box. LPCM locked on quicker to DD for some reason since v1.03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrudy View Post

Tony, Have you ever understood the function of HDMI bitstream vs. PCM mode in the set up menu? If you think it is useless, please include it in the final wish list so Cary could remove it or make it "auto" in the next FW update.

I also noticed that whenever I engage PL2X while playing True HD or DTSHDMA, I am losing part of the front sound stage and while the back channels come active, it doesn't sound as good as the original sound track. This is true even when watching 5.1 from DirecTV.

I don't remember this happening with Integra processor with same lossless codecs upon engaging Neo6, PL2X or Neural 7.1 THX. Any thoughts from you and other users?

Peter

post #40 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrudy View Post

Peter

These are known issues with v1.03.
Several members herein have expressed the same.

If you set the HDMI to PCM, the display will say e.g. LPCM 5.1. If you set the HDMI to bitstream, additional information for the decoding is given in the display (e.g. DTS MA 48kHz). Except for this, I do not think it matters.

Cary Cinema 11a 08 - V1.08 HDMI & Audio onboard
post #41 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:

If you are referring to splitting the front left/right preouts to the amp, 99 percent of the time a simple Y splitter is used.

I think he might might talking about bridging the preouts instead of the Y adapter? I would think that's a hardware change. I guess it can be added to the list but I was thinking more software update-able requests.

Precisely. This is what we (or at least I) have been trying to say.

I agree, a Y adapter would normally be used. However, depending on the input impedance of the amplifier this can be less than optimal. (but is fine 99% of the time)

I think that a processor/DSP should be able to easily make a digital copy and send it to both outputs. (so it's before the DAC's) Would not require hardware mods. Still my bet is Cary won't bother. I suppose it is a "wish" list though.

-Chris
post #42 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Precisely. This is what we (or at least I) have been trying to say.

I agree, a Y adapter would normally be used. However, depending on the input impedance of the amplifier this can be less than optimal. (but is fine 99% of the time)

I think that a processor/DSP should be able to easily make a digital copy and send it to both outputs. (so it's before the DAC's) Would not require hardware mods. Still my bet is Cary won't bother. I suppose it is a "wish" list though.

-Chris

OK I hear you.. so an option to duplicate front speakers to rears.. We can add it but as you said, Cary prob won't bother. At least not right now..
post #43 of 1971 Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Something for those for whom 7.1 is not enough Tony ; depending on whether its a decoding process thats firmware upgradeable? edit ; looks like it is.
Quote:

Both technologies could be incorporated into chips already used in low- to high-priced AVRs, both companies said. “MIPs are not an issue these days,” DTS’s Dixon said. “If a receiver has [losslessly compressed] DTS HD Master, it can do Neo X.”

5.1owners look away now

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6629227.html

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic-IIz.html
post #44 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Gostan - a link to the previous thread is posted in post #1 and available for reading and any related research. We felt a new thread and an opportunity to consolidate specs, issues, known bugs and other related information on the first and second posts was necessary and keep things organized. Reported issues, feature requests, etc were all over the old thread. If anything, that would be hard to follow. We attempted to do this on the original thread but it wasn't technically possible.

I'm not sure why you would feel there was a dis-service done here? If all the posts are still intact and available to everyone, what's the difference?

Tony, I like the idea of the consolidation of specs, issues and bugs, etc., at the beginning of the thread. This is helpful to all. However, the Anthem D2 thread does the same (with multiple changes and additions), and did not undertake these changes by starting a new thread just because a new version of the D2 was released.

And, where is the link to the initial Cinema 11 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...cary+cinema+11 which shows potential new Cinema 11A purchasers the true historical Cinema 11/11A story?

Stan
post #45 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added a link to the original cinema 11 (non A version) to the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Tony, I like the idea of the consolidation of specs, issues and bugs, etc., at the beginning of the thread. This is helpful to all. However, the Anthem D2 thread does the same (with multiple changes and additions), and did not undertake these changes by starting a new thread just because a new version of the D2 was released.

And, where is the link to the initial Cinema 11 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...cary+cinema+11 which shows potential new Cinema 11A purchasers the true historical Cinema 11/11A story?

post #46 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting.. I don't know if you remember but Yamaha tried doing this 10 years ago with the DSP-A1 receiver. Same setup.. additional speakers mounted above the left/right fronts. They even had a special DSP mode to engage them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Something for those for whom 7.1 is not enough Tony ; depending on whether its a decoding process thats firmware upgradeable? edit ; looks like it is.
5.1owners look away now

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6629227.html

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic-IIz.html

post #47 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

"I will not lower my expectations to meet your capabilities"

Barry - love it..

Going to use that quote soon hopefully..
post #48 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

There is no mfg out there (To my knowledge) who has released a bug free version 1.0 system (audio or video) that utilizes HDMI cabling and/or the advanced audio codecs and/or the advanced color capabilities. Before any one gives me contrary examples, let me limit it to those things that process A/V signals not Sources like BR players, although they have issues or video displays. Generally the displays are the least affected (offer the most trouble free V1.0 FW), the sources next and the A/v pre/pro's last.

Some mfg's are a lot better at customer relations than others, some are just arrogant and some appear to have no clue as to what is going on or what makes good customer relations.

I believe Cary falls somewhere in the middle of the crowd, and is really trying hard to get this right. I do see improvement as time marches on. Maybe not as much as I want, but at least the direction is correct. As I used to tell my employees and my students, "I will not lower my expectations to meet your capabilities".

And, Tony, thanks for adding in the initial Cary Cinema 11 thread to the initial post. You "da man"!!

I have mellowed with age and have more patience, but less time. The TimePatience product is probably a constant throughout ones life.

Barry, very well stated. I am sure that Cary is trying hard, but many of us have jumped off of the Cary Cinema 11/11A due to Cary's past history of "trying hard, but not getting it done" customer relations. In my book, everybody deserves a second chance, but third and fourth chances are not acceptable and certainly not for the new $4000 msrp price of admission.

Stan
post #49 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Barry, very well stated. I am sure that Cary is trying hard, but many of us have jumped off of the Cary Cinema 11/11A due to Cary's past history of "trying hard, but not getting it done" customer relations. In my book, everybody deserves a second chance, but third and fourth chances are not acceptable and certainly not for the new $4000 msrp price of admission.

Stan - I thought you were pretty happy with the your original cinema 11 but couldn't wait an longer for the 11a? Did you have issues with the original 11 or just not happy with it?
post #50 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Interesting.. I don't know if you remember but Yamaha tried doing this 10 years ago with the DSP-A1 receiver. Same setup.. additional speakers mounted above the left/right fronts. They even had a special DSP mode to engage them.

For sure Tony ; they have a long history with the presence speakers ;the current Z11 has the same . The new dts/dd modes are a little better/different in that they give the 3rd dimension - height -as it looks like its extracted from the standard soundtrack .

Why I dont like yamaha dsp modes I spose ; too artificial and what the sound engineer didnt record If they could reconfigure the zone 2 outputs on the cary one day ;you never know
post #51 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they could reconfigure the zone 2 outputs on the cary one day ;you never know

Now that you mention it.. perhaps that would be a good one for the wish list. Flexibility with zone 2 outputs would make sense. Assigned to fronts (for biamping) , additional side surrounds, secon sub, lfe, etc.. Lexicon, Parasound and Theta offer this so it wouldn't be a bad idea.
post #52 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they could reconfigure the zone 2 outputs on the cary one day ;you never know

Now that you mention it.. perhaps that would be a good one for the wish list. Flexibility with zone 2 outputs instead of the rear surrounds would make sense. Re-assigned to fronts (for biamping) , additional side surrounds, second sub, lfe, etc.. Lexicon, Parasound and Theta offer this so it wouldn't be a bad idea.
post #53 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Stan - I thought you were pretty happy with the your original cinema 11 but couldn't wait an longer for the 11a? Did you have issues with the original 11 or just not happy with it?

Tony,

Initially I was very satisfied with the 2 channel SQ and fairly satisfied with the HT SQ of the original Cinema 11.

I quickly became extremely dissatisfied with Cary's inability to offer the official firmware updates as promised by Cary's representative in the earlier Cinema 11 thread. Then, within the first month that I purchased the Cinema 11, Cary announced that it was dumping its' long advertised proprietary computer link between the Cinema 11 and Cinema 11v for the new HDMI enabled Cinema 11A. I have been around CE long enough to understand that there is always something new around the corner.

So, when I had the opportunity to demo the Anthem D2 (I had sold a D2 to go with the Cinema 11) against the Cary Cinema 11, I realized that that the D2 is a far superior HT processor than the Cary with a very decent 2 channel ability. The addition of the Anthem Room Correction system cinched the deal for me. So, with Cary refusing to offer any accommodations to its' dealers and customers, I sold the C11 as quickly as I could and went back to the D2 (and now the new D2v)

The flexibility of the Anthem firmware settings for audio and video tweeking along with Anthem's superior customer service made this decision a simple one.

IMO, Cary needs to increase or reallocate its' resources if it wants to be in the processor end of the CE business.

Stan
post #54 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting.. I've decided to give Cary a final opportunity with the expected firmware update which is scheduled to be released next Friday. This would be their third since the 11a's intitial release which tells me they are eager to make this work. However, depending on the results, I will need to make my final decision on keeping the 11a long term. The Anthem D2v is on my short list..

Quote:

Tony,

Initially I was very satisfied with the 2 channel SQ and fairly satisfied with the HT SQ of the original Cinema 11.

I quickly became extremely dissatisfied with Cary's inability to offer the official firmware updates as promised by Cary's representative in the earlier Cinema 11 thread. Then, within the first month that I purchased the Cinema 11, Cary announced that it was dumping its' long advertised proprietary computer link between the Cinema 11 and Cinema 11v for the new HDMI enabled Cinema 11A. I have been around CE long enough to understand that there is always something new around the corner.

So, when I had the opportunity to demo the Anthem D2 (I had sold a D2 to go with the Cinema 11) against the Cary Cinema 11, I realized that that the D2 is a far superior HT processor than the Cary with a very decent 2 channel ability. The addition of the Anthem Room Correction system cinched the deal for me. So, with Cary refusing to offer any accommodations to its' dealers and customers, I sold the C11 as quickly as I could and went back to the D2 (and now the new D2v)

The flexibility of the Anthem firmware settings for audio and video tweeking along with Anthem's superior customer service made this decision a simple one.

IMO, Cary needs to increase or reallocate its' resources if it wants to be in the processor end of the CE business.

post #55 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I think he wants to do so without running a Y-cable. If the 11a were to do this, it would just be splitting the front channels inside and sending to both output. It does have the benefit of simpler cabling and possibly better sound quality. (depends on the amp and the ouput drive of the 11a)

-Chris

Right -- that's what the Arcam did. It simply took the outputs for channels 6 and 7 and made them duplicates of channels 1 and 2. It's an elegant solution if you have seven amplification channels and only five speakers.

The reason I think of this is that I've got a Cary Cinema 2 amp that I could bring into my C11A system (which has the Cinema 5 amp). I imagine that putting four channels into my Paradigm fronts would be very nice...
post #56 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeas View Post

Right -- that's what the Arcam did. It simply took the outputs for channels 6 and 7 and made them duplicates of channels 1 and 2. It's an elegant solution if you have seven amplification channels and only five speakers.

Got it.. a couple of post above, I mentioned the idea that it may make more sense to include that flexibility with the Zone 2 outputs rather than the rear surrounds. Just a thought.. Who knows if this is even technicially possible for Cary anyway but as you said, it is a wish list.
post #57 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting.. I've decided to give Cary a final opportunity with the expected firmware update which is scheduled to be released next Friday. This would be their third since the 11a's intitial release which tells me they are eager to make this work. However, depending on the results, I will need to make my final decision on keeping the 11a long term. The Anthem D2v is on my short list..

Tony,

Anthem has a Test site where they post intermediate test firmware that is modified for owner specific issues. Many of us utilize the test software in advance of its' becoming "official". This user feedback gives Anthem the ability to respond quickly to any issues. Minor individual changes appear within a day or so. Cary might consider setting up a test website in order to implement firmware changes on an expedited basis.

Of course, no CE company is infallible. Anthem had its' handshaking issues with its' initial implementation of HDMI in the D2 in 2006, especially with the many new HDMI source components such as the initial HD-DVD and Blu-ray players.

But, there have been no such issues with the new internal decoding of Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS HD-MA in the D2v.

My new D2v did have an issue with a clipping sound from the tweeters in my surround channels. After two minor firmware updates failed to rectify the issue, Anthem agreed to replace my 1st D2v as it was obviously some type of hardware issue. I wonder why Cary is not opting to take the identical path for many of you C11A owners. And, how does Cary know that the new firmware will be available next Friday?? A wild guess? An estimate? Or, another way to placate the Cinema 11A users on AVS?

By the way, my Cary dealer advises me that he has sold and installed several Cinema 11A's and his end users have no issues to date.

Stan
post #58 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Stan,

I'm glad to see that your disdain toward Cary has not waned since you jumped on the Anthem D2 Bandwagon! Your dissatisfaction has been duly noted. Now if you don't mind, it would be nice to keep this new thread on the topic of the Cary Cinema 11a. While it's nice to hear from you and get your dissenting opinion, if you wish to complain about the original Cinema 11, please do so in the original Cinema 11 thread. If you wish to tout the Anthem D2, please do so in the Anthem D2 thread. Again, this is the new Cinema 11a thread.

If my memory serves me, you were once pretty happy with your Cinema 11 and you were anxiously awaitng it's mate, the Cinema 11v. The timing of Cary's news release, that a new Cinema 11a was under development annoyed you, because it made your C11 obsolete. In turn, you sold your C11 and became a Cary basher. Is my memory correct?

Anthem has had plenty of time to issue dozens of FW patches to fix the D2's bugs and issues. Two firmware updates in a few short weeks shows the folks in North Carolina are working hard to make everybody happy. The technology in the C11a is new and Cary has taken big risks to develop this potentially grounbreaking Pre/Pro. Let's give Cary a little more time on the C11a FW and in the end we'll all reap the rewards!

I agree, on paper the D2 is a fantastic Pre/Pro as far as features go. But the biggest difference between the C11a and the D2, is the C11a's more natural, lifelike sound, versus the more clinical, electronic sound of the D2. No firmware will ever fix that aspect of the D2. When the annoncement of the new Anthem D3 makes your investment in the D2 decline in value, will you then become an Anthem basher?
post #59 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And, how does Cary know that the new firmware will be available next Friday?? A wild guess? An estimate? Or, another way to placate the Cinema 11A users on AVS?

They were within a couple of days of their last release dates so maybe they have better communication with their engineers this time around. Either way, I don't have any complaints with their commitment dates to release firmware (so far).

Quote:

My new D2v did have an issue with a clipping sound from the tweeters in my surround channels. After two minor firmware updates failed to rectify the issue, Anthem agreed to replace my 1st D2v as it was obviously some type of hardware issue. I wonder why Cary is not opting to take the identical path for many of you C11A owners.

Not sure if replacing the hardware is the answer at this point. With all the software related bugs, it's too early to determine if hardware is an issue at all. As a previous Anthem owner, Anthem also identified issue that can only be corrected with a hardware update which required owners to ship their unit in. Two examples would be the svideo bug on the original D2 and the v2 upgrade on the AVM20. In Cary's case it's the HDMI software update.

Quote:

By the way, my Cary dealer advises me that he has sold and installed several Cinema 11A's and his end users have no issues to date.

In my opinion, they are most likely average consumers that probably wouldn't know the difference. These are the kinds of issues that an average consumer wouldn't easily identify unless it was pointed out to them.
post #60 of 1971 Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In my opinion, they are most likely average consumers that probably wouldn't know the difference. These are the kinds of issues that an average consumer wouldn't easily identify unless it was pointed out to them.

At least I think it is fair to say that the usage and connected equipment must be extremely simple. If someone says to me that there are no SW issues, having similar setup as me, I simply would not believe it. This does not imply that others are not being polite when reporting their experiences.
I just have to try to be happy on their behalf, I guess

Cary Cinema 11a 08 - V1.08 HDMI & Audio onboard
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page