Official Cary Cinema 11a/11v Owner's Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 2002 Old 05-01-2015, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 152
How do you incorporate a sub in analog listening? I am using the 7.1 multichannel for analog including the sub out but nothing coming through the sub. Sounds magnificent what is there but would love to know if there's a way sub can be used to. Tried using one of the inputs for analog but again left and right only. My display screen never actually shows analog on the screen either. In the "Set Analog In Config" memu for 7.1 In it gives you two options, Bypass or DSP. I'm running in bypass mode as DSP doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Is this accessing the Cinema 11a's DAC's? Am I missing something here? All I want is 2.1 listening analog can the Cinema 11a do this?

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2
Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Cary Cinema 11a
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amp: Crown XLS 5000
Viewing: Sony Bravia 850b 70"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2002 Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 AM

I think something isn't right with the multichannel sub input as I've tried everything but no signal. It's probably the one thing 2.1 I bought this pre/pro for so I could access the sweet analog sounds but not being able to incorporate the sub is a major downer. Doesn't look like it's the Cary's fault as something maybe amiss with the sub input otherwise (2.1) looks pretty straightforward. Need to get this checked out I think.

post #1983 of 2002 Old 05-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
I'm running in bypass mode as DSP doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Is this accessing the Cinema 11a's DAC's?
IIRC, the by-pass mode does not digitize the analog input, and thus does no processing. If a sub signal is present, it should be passed through, but no sub signal will be derived. You are not using the Cary DACs.

db
post #1984 of 2002 Old 05-01-2015, 03:59 PM

How do you use the Cary's DAC's? Can't find anything in the manual? I thought using the multichannel was using the analog stage. As theirs only the choice of bypass or DSP surely one of those has to be Analog?

post #1985 of 2002 Old 05-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How do you use the Cary's DAC's? Can't find anything in the manual?
If you send a digital input to the Cary you won't be using the by-pass mode, so you will be using the Cary DACs. This is true whether you use HDMI or coax.

db
post #1986 of 2002 Old 05-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Okay still confused. What should the display be saying when Cinema 11a is in Analog mode? At the moment I can only get (through 7.1 multichannel) the display to read "bypass" or "DSP" never says Analog but in Input configuration menu only gets those two options. When using Analog Input 3 and selecting "Analog" the display comes up as 48khz PCM. I have seen the word Analog flash on the display when using the input seek button but only briefly before displayin one of the aforementioned terms on the display. I'm just worried that I'm not locking the Analog signal. Can somebody give me a detailed description of how I know I'm in Analog ie what should the display read when I am? Thanks.

post #1987 of 2002 Old 05-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At the moment I can only get (through 7.1 multichannel) the display to read "bypass" or "DSP" never says Analog but in Input configuration menu only gets those two options.
By-pass is for an analog signal. It means the analog signal is passed through without being digitized and thus without processing. DSP, of course, means digital signal processing. If you are using a DAC in front of the Cary, you usually don't want to re-digitize the signal, so you use bypass.

db
post #1988 of 2002 Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 AM

Okay, so DSP is using the Cary Dacs converting the digital signal being input from my Blu ray player via RCA connections to Analog using one of the 8 inputs set to "Analog"? I don't have an external DAC so relying on the Cary's. When it says PCM 48 kHz I understand this to be converting Analog to digital?

post #1989 of 2002 Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay, so DSP is using the Cary Dacs converting the digital signal being input from my Blu ray player via RCA connections to Analog using one of the 8 inputs set to "Analog"? I don't have an external DAC so relying on the Cary's. When it says PCM 48 kHz I understand this to be converting Analog to digital?
I think most Blu-ray players do have DACs and can output either digital or analog. If you are using 8 cables between your player and the C11a, that's analog. OTOH, if the C11a is displaying that it is receiving PCM 48 Hz, I think that's digital. The manual for your Blu-ray player should tell you which of its outputs are analog and which are digital. Usually multiple RCA or XLR outputs are analog; an HDMI or coax is digital and able to carry multiple channels with a single cable.

db
post #1990 of 2002 Old 05-23-2015, 04:25 AM

Okay so I've had this unit for a little while now and think I know all it's quirks but they're not enough to dissuade me from the enjoyment of this unit. In short it's superb. The sound quality is incredibly good. My old Rotel RSP 1570 was very good too but this is definitely a step up.

There are a few quirks no doubt but for me the unit sounds so good and so far haven't intruded the listening experience.

I don't understand the test tones being so loud unless there's something I'm missing. Doesn't bother me enough though.

Stuttering sound before HDMI signal lock on lasting a second or less. A bit annoying.

When I turned all the test tones down to their minimum for test signals I get this crazy static whirring in an adjusting pitch. This would be a deal breaker but I've only ever encountered it at -15dB settings in test tones and goes away when selected any other volume. weird though and the most concerning thing I've encountered so far.

Analog. What should the display read when you are using the Cary's DAC's? Still can't work this out and if somebody can enlighten me would be much appreciated.

Occasionally I get a green screen in between start up screens when playing some blurays. Goes away but leaves an uneasy feeling about it. Sometimes I get black and white snow which also goes away.

I think I've got the v1.3 firmware.

All the above doesn't matter to me because when the Cary is in action it's brilliant. So far none of these quirks have impacted when "in action" but could understand some people wouldn't like these quirks to be present in a preamp at this price point. In the end the sound quality isn't impacted and it leaves a lot of other preamp's that I've heard for dead in fact it's the best I've heard yet. I don't know how much better an SSP800 or an SP3 sounds but that's a whole different league again, at least in terms of price. Big tick for the Cary from me even though I'm a bit late to the party.

Last edited by AJ72; 05-23-2015 at 04:51 AM.
post #1991 of 2002 Old 05-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Analog. What should the display read when you are using the Cary's DAC's? Still can't work this out and if somebody can enlighten me would be much appreciated.
It should display what the source is sending to the processor, e.g., something like 3/2/1 or 5.1.

db
post #1992 of 2002 Old 05-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I think most Blu-ray players do have DACs and can output either digital or analog.
Posts at another site, Digital at Audiogon, IIRC, suggest many new Blu-ray players may not offer analog output. I suppose that might be in recognition that the market for anything but HDMI or coax is too small to bother addressing. I think the manufacturers' model of the market is most likely HDMI to AVR or TV. Furthermore, mch requires multiple cables with analog, a likely source of customer resistance. I admit to connecting my Oppo 105 and Sony XA5400ES to my Cary C11a (now a C12) via HDMI -- the Sony only does surround via HDMI although it has a fine DAC for analog stereo and balanced outputs.

db
post #1993 of 2002 Old 05-23-2015, 03:36 PM

I've had analog using my older rotel preamp so don't think that's the issue. It (the Bluray player) has also got RCA jacks.

post #1994 of 2002 Old 07-17-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
How do you use the Cary's DAC's? Can't find anything in the manual? I thought using the multichannel was using the analog stage. As theirs only the choice of bypass or DSP surely one of those has to be Analog?
It's been while sense I set mine up but I believe bypass is a function of the analog inputs and will act like a simple preamp without any d/a conversion. This would be optimal with use of a high end cd player with it's own quality d/a conversion and analog output. DSP is also an option for an analog signal so you can use all the possessing features but is not optimal because of the extra d/a, a/d back to analog conversion. It makes more sense to give the 11a a digital signal if you want to use the processing features.

If you are using the 7.1 in, you are using analog thru the 7.1 rca inputs on the back. If you are using hdmi 1 or 2, you are using digital (dsp) and using the cary's dac. With inputs 1 thru 8, it's whatever you assign them, either analog which would be the stereo rca inputs or digital (dsp) which would be the optical input or coax digital input. The coax digital looks like a single rca analog input so that may be a bit confusing. If you tell us what model bluray player you are using we may be able to help you make sure you are using the Cary's dac which is probably the best way to go.

Last edited by mrmike186; 07-17-2015 at 07:57 PM.
post #1995 of 2002 Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM

Nice to see people enjoying the 11a. I've had mine since 08 and have enjoyed it despite it's bugs. If you can get by without using the optical or coax digital inputs then the 11a actually is pretty reliable. Once the hdmi locks on the signal it does not cut out or freeze the system . Occasionally (hardly ever) it wont lock on when changing channels but easily finds it if you press the input button.

The analog section has never been in question. If you can find an 11a for a good price it is really a spectacular sounding center piece to a high end home theater. If you only need two hdmi inputs to go along with the plethora of analog inputs this could be worthy consideration

Last edited by mrmike186; 07-17-2015 at 07:40 PM.
post #1996 of 2002 Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 AM

With you all the way on the 11a MrMike. I do love it and thanks for the info you've given me there. I use a Sony BDP s-370 over hdmi and have found it to be the best sounding option.
mrmike186 likes this.

post #1997 of 2002 Old 07-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post
The analog section has never been in question. If you can find an 11a for a good price it is really a spectacular sounding center piece to a high end home theater. If you only need two hdmi inputs to go along with the plethora of analog inputs this could be worthy consideration
I have a C12 and an C11a in reserve, but I realize that's a little piggy. If anyone wants an 11a at a good price, the can send my a private email to dbphd@cox.net.

They are great sounding units that can process surround DSD via HDMI, e.g., from my Sony XA5400ES. The sources I take to C12 are the Sony and an Oppo 105 that also passes DirecTV HD DVR. The Cary does a great job of surround sound and bass management.

db
post #1998 of 2002 Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The main board of my Cary 11A is gone. It doesn't recognize the right codec anymore. If anyone wants it to have it fixed, PM me. It is in LAX.
post #1999 of 2002 Old 07-23-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
It's been while sense I set mine up but I believe bypass is a function of the analog inputs and will act like a simple preamp without any d/a conversion. This would be optimal with use of a high end cd player with it's own quality d/a conversion and analog output. DSP is also an option for an analog signal so you can use all the possessing features but is not optimal because of the extra d/a, a/d back to analog conversion. It makes more sense to give the 11a a digital signal if you want to use the processing features.

If you are using the 7.1 in, you are using analog thru the 7.1 rca inputs on the back. If you are using hdmi 1 or 2, you are using digital (dsp) and using the cary's dac. With inputs 1 thru 8, it's whatever you assign them, either analog which would be the stereo rca inputs or digital (dsp) which would be the optical input or coax digital input. The coax digital looks like a single rca analog input so that may be a bit confusing. If you tell us what model bluray player you are using we may be able to help you make sure you are using the Cary's dac which is probably the best way to go.

Well I've finally sorted the Analog issue I was having out. Mrmike when you mentioned about the coaxial cable I thought I'd try it out and compare to the HDMI. I then thought I would have a look at the coaxial and Analog through the same Input to compare as directly as possible the digital vs RCA connection. I now know I am definitely getting Analog via the RCA (input 3 set to Analog). I did the comparison between the Coaxial Input 3 and yes there is a difference but I confirmed the Analog by playing my Radiohead CD Amnesiac which has some edgy crackling vocals when played over digital but not when Analog. Confirmed Tom Yorke's voice sounding sublime over Analog and crackling over digital. Mystery solved although with the help here and somehow stumbling across the right result I got there in the end. My biggest problem was not being able to engage the subs over Analog but I found out this evening that in Music mode the subs aren't engaged. Movie mode engages subs. Great! Thanks to all those who helped.

post #2000 of 2002 Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I found out this evening that in Music mode the subs aren't engaged. Movie mode engages subs.
It's been a long time since I set the menus of my 11a, but IIRC in either the movie or music mode you can set which speakers get signal, including the subs. One of the nice features of the Cinema 11a and 12 is that you can set crossover to subs individually for each speaker. No need to classify full range mains as small. I use a 40 Hz crossover for my mains, because they extend to a very useful 20 Hz, and 80 Hz for center, surrounds, and rears.

db
post #2001 of 2002 Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
My biggest problem was not being able to engage the subs over Analog but I found out this evening that in Music mode the subs aren't engaged. Movie mode engages subs. Great! Thanks to all those who helped.
My sub has two different options for inputs. One is a single LFE input which is connected to the sub out rca. The other input is actually two inputs, left and right line in which is connected to the front left and right main speaker rca outputs. I'm using the xlr outputs for the main speakers which frees up the rca mains outputs. If your main speaker power amp is using the rca outputs you can also use a y adapter to run the analog signal to your sub.

This does not answer your question of why the cary sub out does not send a signal in music mode but it might be a way to incorporate your sub for 2 channel listening via analog signal. I believe this would be the only way to incorporate the sub in analog bypass mode.

Last edited by mrmike186; 07-26-2015 at 07:47 AM.
post #2002 of 2002 Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
My sub has two different options for inputs. One is a single LFE input which is connected to the sub out rca. The other input is actually two inputs, left and right line in which is connected to the front left and right main speaker rca outputs. I'm using the xlr outputs for the main speakers which frees up the rca mains outputs. If your main speaker power amp is using the rca outputs you can also use a y adapter to run the analog signal to your sub.

This does not answer your question of why the Cary sub out does not send a signal in music mode but it might be a way to incorporate your sub for 2 channel listening via analog signal. I believe this would be the only way to incorporate the sub in analog bypass mode.
If you are able to use both, the XLR and RCA, then you can do it and have one sub Y wired to the L and R fronts. That is, if you are able to use both?

I used a Classe SSP 25 for some years, having main speakers for music output balanced, for balanced player, then used the RCA for two. lest and right subs.

On mist multichannel players, using the analogue as direct, or bypass, you will have the same audio as you have on the source, SACD, or DVD-a and Bluray, yet most SACD I use do not have LFE. so, there is no sound there. The audio outputs will only be active upon the source, thus stereo will be L and R/

If you use the DACs is the Cary then all the processing is done there and with DSP enhancements, you would have the sub-woofer

Little Denon system, Denon 2808ci
Polk M40, front and surround, CS2 center.Yamaha subwoofer
Sony 222 es SACD/CD player
Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Sony dual DVD and VCR player.
LG 46" HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page