HDMI audio taking priority over Optical on Pioneer Elite VSX-01 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-15-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help... I've spent an entire day working through several audio issues but have reached the end of my patience on a particular problem, the AVR prefering the HDMI audio (2 ch) over the optical (5 ch).

STB: ATT Uverse Motorola VIP-1216
AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-01 TXH (run all sound and switching from here)
DVD/BD: Sony BDP-BX1 (Rebadged 350)
TV: Samsung HP-S5053

Connections:
STB to AVR (below)
DVD to AVR (below)
AVR to TV (HDMI)

The Issue:
Through Uverse techinical forum, it is widely published that ATT supports only 2 ch audio through HDMI. To receive 5.1 audio, you are instructed to use HDMI or Component for video and Optical for audio. Then configure the receiver to select Video from HDMI and Audio from Optical in the "Input Setup" menu.

In the Input Setup menu, I have selected Optical for audio, and HDMI for video. While I'm in the menu (AVR) I can see on the display and hear 5.1 audio, but as soon as I exit and the HDMI video connects, only 2 ch audio is heard. I must assume this is coming from the HDMI cable, if I unplug the optical, I can still hear 2 ch, AND if I were to unplug the HDMI, then the 5.1 digital audio returns.

My bandaid:
I've had to step down to Component video and Optical audio. Works ok.

Process of Elimination:
I dont think this is ATT uverse as I replicated the problem by having my blu-ray player send 2ch Audio through the HDMI, and 5.1 channel through the Optical (Love how customizable those options are), and the receiver again loses 5.1 once the HDMI connects and video is displayed.

TV is last in the line, can't see how it would be part of the equation

Swapped HDMI cable manufactures to ensure that it wasnt a cheap cable issue

The Questions
1. Why is the receiver ignoring my Input Setup selections?
2. Should I care that Im using Component Video instead of HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-15-2009, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamen74 View Post

The Questions
1. Why is the receiver ignoring my Input Setup selections?
2. Should I care that Im using Component Video instead of HDMI?

I don't understand the ATT - HDMI - 2 ch only stuff. Doesn't sound right (no pun intended) but if it is it is!!

If you set it up to use HDMI & opt you may need to use your "Sig Select" button on the remote to switch to opt (digital). Press the button and each time it will cycle through HDMI - Digital - analog. HDMI is the default if connected. This should do it unless the ATT unit won't concurrently output? I have an HDMI & opt connection from my moto cable box and I can select either audio input.

You may also want to try pressing the Status button to double check what's coming in. Try pressing the surround button and then go back and check status.

In my moto box I can select some audio options. I don't know about the ATT unit but it surprises me that you can't.

I also have component in with the opt from the moto and I put out HDMI to the TV. I've posted many times that the picture is equivalent to the HDMI in & out connection. I could tell you why it shouldn't be, but it is. I've A/B'd it enough to form that conclusion.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

If you set it up to use HDMI & opt you may need to use your "Sig Select" button on the remote to switch to opt (digital). Press the button and each time it will cycle through HDMI - Digital - analog. HDMI is the default if connected. This should do it unless the ATT unit won't concurrently output?

Mr. Gibbles... I'm bowing to you. While, I'm a read-the-manual kind of guy, 102 pages of very in depth information was easy to miss this. I can't understand why this wouldn't have been notated in the setup menu section. Took me about 5 minutes to fix once I read your note. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I did the happy dance in the living room and my family thinks I'm a nutcase, but I'm so HAPPY.

It's not considering the best signal quality in "Auto", but just starting with the best cable (hdmi). So I switched it to strict Digital. Shocked that was so easy... I stumped the Pioneer people at the showroom, how embarassing for them. Said they'll have a tech contact me in a day... this forum blows the pants off that!

Great advice. Wishing you a fantastic week.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM

Aha! here we go...let the opinions fly!
Of course everyone has his/her opinion on what IS the best AVR out on the market. I'm just looking for a mid-range, not too expensive, the most features for the money, AVR...that's all.

Shamen,
I have spent a lot of time looking at receivers. First it was Onkyo 606,then 706. Then I looked at Yamaha RXV563,but only has 2-in, and 1-out HDMI. The latest is looking at the pioneer VSX-01, and given that it has 3-in and 1-out HDMI,I'm leaning toward this one.

*** BUT...I was just told that Yamaha just came out this month of March with the RXV 565/ 7.1 channel / 630 Watts ($430.00) and that Onkyo also came out with two new models....and they are the TX-SR576(80w per chan) and the TX-SR506 (75w per chan)...like I'm not already confused asit is.

I was also looking into buying the HSU research "Performance 1" speaker package, which has 6.1 speakers.

This Pioneer 01 AVR has on board the DTS:NEO 6 matrix feature that takes the 6th satellite speaker and uses it as a rear center channel. have you or anyone else used this feature or just use the 7.1 channels? My 12x12 room really doesn't need all 7 speakers.

HDMI should pass both Audio and Video through the one cable..why are you using the component and composite cables anyway?

I will have the same connections as you do...

AVR to TV (HDMI out) ... One HDMI from TV to AVR
STB to AVR (HDMI In)
BDDVD to AVR (HDMI In)

true or false-
I was told that if I had one HDMI cable from the mounted TV to AVR, and all the other components into the AVR, and I wanted to hear ONLY the TV speakers for normal viewing, and not turn on the AVR everyday, except to watch a bluray, I would still need a optical TOS from the TV to the AVR????

Of course everyone has his/her opinion on what is the best AVR, but I wish there were only a few choices, becuz now I am confused more than ever.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrbyte View Post

1. This Pioneer 01 AVR has on board the DTS:NEO 6 matrix feature that takes the 6th satellite speaker and uses it as a rear center channel. have you or anyone else used this feature or just use the 7.1 channels? My 12x12 room really doesn't need all 7 speakers.

2. HDMI should pass both Audio and Video through the one cable..why are you using the component and composite cables anyway?

3. true or false-
I was told that if I had one HDMI cable from the mounted TV to AVR, and all the other components into the AVR, and I wanted to hear ONLY the TV speakers for normal viewing, and not turn on the AVR everyday, except to watch a bluray, I would still need a optical TOS from the TV to the AVR????

1. Have not used the feature... wouldn't keep me from buying a receiver, you're way into the weeds!!

2. Because of the cable provider, see original post.

3. I believe what you are asking about is called HDMI pass through. The Pioneer VSX 01, that I have hooked up, does not display picture/sound to TV without having the receiver on. (I may have this setup improperly, but I dont think so). Not an issue for me since i payed the money, I want this thing pumping everytime the TV is on. Bought headphones when I dont want that, but still run through the reciever.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
With regards to NEO 6, a lot of receivers have options for 6.1 sound.

Some DVD movies use DTS ES or DD EX encoding which target a 6.1 speaker setup. Modern 6.1 or 7.1 receivers will probably have both of these decoders available.

For producing 6.1 soundfields from stereo, NEO:6 is certainly an option. Dolby Pro Logic IIx may be another option available.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Thanks, and Happy Saturday Michael and Shamen,

I looking at the back of the Pioneer VSX-01, I noticed that there is a "subwoofer" input in the PREOUT area, and a Subwoofer input in the Multi-Ch IN area as well.

Silly question to follow....which input does the subwoofer plug into?

And with the rear center 6th speaker (middle rear top..I'm thinking about mounting fronts/rears up near the corners)which speaker terminal does this go to? Surround or surround back? I'm guessing the Rear L & R goes into surround back and the center rear goes into surround, then maybe not.

Like I said maybe this 110wx7 is too much of beast for this room.

I'm not going to do multi-channel set up, so maybe this AVR to too much of an overkill for me and the MSRP of $ 750.00. I need something to have at least HDMI pass through so I have that option of having one HDMI to STB, so I could just have the TV's speakers on and not the High-powered AVR on all the time to save wear and tear, and my sanity as well.

I want to spend more on speakers and NOT so much on a very high end, audiophile type, extreme bells and whistles type, for a small 10'x12' room.

AVR budget probably between $400.00 and $550.00. jeez, on the Pioneer site, some of the elite models are based at $1,800, $2,200,00, and even $7,000.00!

So basically, what kind of receiver will I need so I can have the option of just listening to the TV for normal programming,and then turn on the AVR and Blu-Ray to enjoy surround sound? So call me crazy! All this money and not to listen surround all the time? Youre saying .."what a waste". I understand. All this upconverting, upswitching and pass through stuff. Maybe a 3.1 or just the center and two fronts for normal tv....also, I could be wrong, bit I don't thing Pioneer is energy star efficient.

Thanks and have yourselves a nice day!
post #8 of 17 Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM

Question: Anyone know how to set the Pioneer VSX-01 to have music play from a CD out of all the speakers on a 5:1 system? I have sound for BR's a DVD's out all 5 but only get sound from my front Lt/Rt speakers when playing a CD?

Thank you
post #9 of 17 Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Cup View Post

Question: Anyone know how to set the Pioneer VSX-01 to have music play from a CD out of all the speakers on a 5:1 system? I have sound for BR's a DVD's out all 5 but only get sound from my front Lt/Rt speakers when playing a CD?

Thank you

Press the "Standard" button on the remote to select your various surround modes. You can also try THX or ADV Surround for different types of signal processing. And you can try pressing STEREO/A.L.C. for still more options.

Pages 30, 31 in the manual have all the above and more.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looking at the back of the Pioneer VSX-01, I noticed that there is a "subwoofer" input in the PREOUT area, and a Subwoofer input in the Multi-Ch IN area as well.

If the signal is going in, then MCH IN. If the signal is going out, then Preout. I suspect you want to use preout for your sub.

post #11 of 17 Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM

MRGRIBBLES Thank you for your help your advice worked!

To answer you question use the Preout area (if you attach something like a Blu Ray player and use Analog cables then you would use the Multi Ch imput.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

If the signal is going in, then MCH IN. If the signal is going out, then Preout. I suspect you want to use preout for your sub.

To answer you question use the Preout area (if you attach something like a Blu Ray player and use Analog cables then you would use the Multi Ch imput.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Cup View Post

Yes. MCH in for analog inputs.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 AM

I bought the vsx01 and use the passthrough feature to ba able to listen just to the speakers in the tv...because I too don,t always want the surround amplifier on....
I really like being able to do that.....
the only drawback is that the vsx01 needs to be turned on to be able to do this..not really a big deal.. the bennifit of using just the tv speakers is worth it
post #15 of 17 Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks, and Happy Saturday Michael and Shamen,

And with the rear center 6th speaker (middle rear top..I'm thinking about mounting fronts/rears up near the corners)which speaker terminal does this go to? Surround or surround back? I'm guessing the Rear L & R goes into surround back and the center rear goes into surround, then maybe not.

Like I said maybe this 110wx7 is too much of beast for this room.

I'm not going to do multi-channel set up, so maybe this AVR to too much of an overkill for me and the MSRP of $ 750.00. I need something to have at least HDMI pass through so I have that option of having one HDMI to STB, so I could just have the TV's speakers on and not the High-powered AVR on all the time to save wear and tear, and my sanity as well.

I want to spend more on speakers and NOT so much on a very high end, audiophile type, extreme bells and whistles type, for a small 10'x12' room.

AVR budget probably between $400.00 and $550.00. jeez, on the Pioneer site, some of the elite models are based at $1,800, $2,200,00, and even $7,000.00!

So basically, what kind of receiver will I need so I can have the option of just listening to the TV for normal programming,and then turn on the AVR and Blu-Ray to enjoy surround sound? So call me crazy! All this money and not to listen surround all the time? Youre saying .."what a waste". I understand. All this upconverting, upswitching and pass through stuff. Maybe a 3.1 or just the center and two fronts for normal tv....also, I could be wrong, bit I don't thing Pioneer is energy star efficient.

Thanks and have yourselves a nice day!

vsx01 is nice because you can use the passthrough feature to be able to listen to your tv speakers only
post #16 of 17 Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 AM

BongoBob said,
Quote:

the only drawback is that the vsx01 needs to be turned on to be able to do this..not really a big deal.. the bennifit of using just the tv speakers is worth it

Bongo, if you have to power up the VSX01 to be able to listen to the TV speakers,and if you are worried about heat from the AVR, get yourself a ANTEC A/V fan cooler ($70.00 reg, price @ Fry's, on sale thru this Tuesday for $50.00) to sit on top of the AVR to pull heat out of there. Works great!
I too was thinking I did not want the AVR on all the time, but since I only have one in-wall HDMI from the AVR to the Display(TV) I don't want to add any more cables like a tos, so I DO listen to the surround all the time and why not? You paid for the system,use it. Others told me the same thing. Samsung750 speakers are just ok,but nothing compares to Dolby Digital on regular TV/cable broadcast coming from all the speakers.

BTW...because of the heating issues I opted not to get a Onkyo 706,or even an 806, (the brand said to be the hottest) instead I got the Yamaha RX-V665, and so far, love it.! It does, like all, put out heat, but I wouldn't worry about that so much.

Good Luck!
post #17 of 17 Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Rivrbyte said;
"I looking at the back of the Pioneer VSX-01, I noticed that there is a "subwoofer" input in the PREOUT area, and a Subwoofer input in the Multi-Ch IN area as well.

"

Subwoofer goes to the pre-out area. This is designed to drive a powered sub-woofer only, hence the term pre-out. The multi-channel in is for DVD players etc that output all 5.1 channels on separate RCA plugs and is an input only.

The speakers are typically labelled "front left" and "front right" (obvious), then the side speakers are "surround left" and 'surround right" with the optional rear speakers being "surround back left" and "surround back right".

In a 6.1 layout you usually connect the single rear speaker to "surround back left" and then tell your amp that it has only 6 speakers.

Hope this helps.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page