Onkyo 706 question/issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased and installed a new Onkyo 706 receiver. Everything has gone great (including the automatic speaker setup which worked first time out of the box with no problems). I'm having an issue with video processing I wanted to see if anyone has experienced or can recommend a fix. First off, here is what I'm using:

-Samsung DLP 56" screen with HDMI input
-Time Warner dual tuner DVR with HDMI output
-Onkyo706 with HDMI from cable box to receiver and receiver to TV
-My HDMI cables are all new from Pacific Cable so decent quality (I think?)
-Denon upconverting DVD with DVI output. DVI is converted to HDMI with adpater from Pacific Cable and sent to 706 via HDMI cable
-Other stuff that isn't an issue

So here is my issue...often times when the HDTV image goes from a show to a black screen, there appears to be some residual shadow images from the last scene. Think of when the show 24 goes to the timer screen...you see some outlines from the last scene on the black screen. It is really annoying. Also in scenes with moving people, you tend to get some trailing images that are annoying too. This does not happen in sports events at all, just regular shows. It is like the video processing is being overloaded and can't keep up. I do have the output resolution set to "pass through" and I've tried both the 1080i and 720P settings on the DVR and it doesn't seem to matter.

Prior to the 706 hookup, I had the same cable box and TV but ran component video directly from the cable box to the TV (b/c my Onkyo 696 didn't have HDMI switching). The picture was far superior over component video then what I am seeing over HDMI today. Brighter, more vivid colors, no trailing images, and no residual images when the screen went dark. I have not hooked the HDMI from the cable box straight to the TV for test yet b/c it's a hastle to get behind my gear.

Also, when I'm watching DVDs, the picture doesn't seem as nice as when I ran the DVI straight into my TV before I got the 706 (TV has a DVI input as well).

So you can see my dilema...I love the features of the 706 and the sound quality but I'm not happy with these picture issues. Is anyone else having image issues with HDMI inputs/outputs on their 706 or simlair Onkyo receiver? Could I have a bad receiver? Bad cables? Need a new DVR from TWC? My gut says it is the switching within the receiver but I wanted to check to see if this community could help me out. It just seems like it is not passing the video signal very well or something. I have done little with the video settings on the 706 but would take advice if something has suggestions for how to process the video signal with the best results. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No help on this one? Come on guys...I know someone had some advice. Do I have to put this into the 706 owners thread or what?
post #3 of 3 Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking16 View Post

No help on this one? Come on guys...I know someone had some advice. Do I have to put this into the 706 owners thread or what?

The 706 owners thread probably would be the best place for it.

You said you previously ran component from your Cable Box and only changed since getting the 706.

For troubleshooting I would try running HDMI straight from the Cable Box to the TV even if it is a hassle and see if you still have the same issue.

This sounds more like a cable box issue over HDMI than the receiver since you're running pass trough. You can also google your cable box model to see if others are having the same issue.

Anyway try HDMI straight to the TV first to help narrow down the issue.

You could also try using another HDMI input on the receiver and TV to see if that's the issue.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page