Best Yamaha Receiver Settings with 3.1 speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Yamaha RX-V461 Receiver and Def Tech Pro 1000 speakers - center, left, right and sub, but no rear surrounds.

Sound is fine with HD Cablebox using digital coax from cable box to receiver and using the "Straight" setting on the receiver.

But, when watching movies on DVD (Sony Blue Ray BDP-S300), the dialog is often muffled and hard to hear clearly. The DVD player is connected to the receiver with an optical digital cable. I usually set the sound field it to Movie Dramatic, and the Receiver automatically switches to "Virtual Cinema DSP" since I don't have rear surrounds. I have tried changing the mode to Straight, but that does not seem to help much.

To the extent the DVD menu allows for other audio options, I usually select Dolby Digital and assume that the receiver will decode it in a manner which will work best for my 3.1 setup. Is that a mistake? Should I choose some other audio option?

I used the auto setup for the speakers and they seem balanced.

So - any suggestions on how to improve the clarity of the dialog through my center channel and what are generally the best settings for a 3.1 speaker setup with these components?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Bump the center channel level up a bit

Make sure the center channel speaker is aimed towards your ears

Use dynamic range control settings or night mode to compress the sound (see your manual)

Improve room accoustics

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Bump the center channel level up a bit

Make sure the center channel speaker is aimed towards your ears

Use dynamic range control settings or night mode to compress the sound (see your manual)

Improve room accoustics

All good suggestions.

If I switch to Night mode, which compression setting do you recommend? I don't believe my receiver has any other methods of changing the dynamic range, does it?

And, the center channel is located on a stand below the TV, so the speaker is below ear level. Should I raise the front of the speaker so it is pointed up further?

Any thoughts on which DSP setting to use? Or, does that not have any real affect on my issue, which is the clarity of center channel dialog.

As for room acoustics, that's a bit tougher as it involves the spouse.....

Thanks much!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You might be able to adjust the range for Dolby Digital and/or DTS. I believe I have a setting on my RX-V657 for that. If not, try night mode. I don't know about any other DSP mode. In general, DSP movie modes have not sounded good to me.

You can tilt up your center channel using a paper back book if you have the room for it.

I live in an apt, so I don't feel at liberty to add any accoustic controls either

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
P/u a pair of sr speakers..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #6 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 AM

bump after 3 years lol - I also only have a new Pioneer receiver and am only running L, R and C w a subwoofer and am wondering what is the best audio codec
post #7 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I would run phantom center or plain stereo/2.1. I understand some systems are in a state of construction, but if there are no surrounds, why bother feeding the center channel? This would apply moreso if your seating is near the rooms sweetspot. If your main speakers are capable, you will think you hear a center channel.

In many instances the center channel is not of the same timber or quality as the fronts and it can be more of a distraction/detraction than an asset, especially musically.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post

I would run phantom center or plain stereo/2.1. I understand some systems are in a state of construction, but if there are no surrounds, why bother feeding the center channel? This would apply moreso if your seating is near the rooms sweetspot. If your main speakers are capable, you will think you hear a center channel.

In many instances the center channel is not of the same timber or quality as the fronts and it can be more of a distraction/detraction than an asset, especially musically.

I agree with all, but I live alone and am fortunate to always sit in the sweet spot where the MCCAC mic was sitting when I ran it. I also dont use it to listen to music (I just now today got an audio out 3.5mm to rca to go to my receiver to listen to my .mp3s from my PC but still, its 99% used for movies) the stereo ALC seems to echo the vocals, the Auto Surround sounds best and the Dolby Digital PLLx Movie (when optional I used this, otherwise the Auto Surround) seems to sound the best to my ears.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page