Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI Problem (15 Minute Delay!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a bizarre problem and can't find anyone who's seen it. I really hope you guys can help!

First, my setup:
Dish Network DVR (HDMI out to Onkyo Receiver).
Panasonic BD-30 Blu-Ray DVD Player (HDMI out to Onkyo Receiver).
Onkyo TX-SR606 (HDMI out to Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ77U).
Harmony One Remote to do the switching.

I've had this setup for several months now and it has been a beautiful thing. Then, a couple of weeks ago I started seeing oddities. First, when I'd come in and start the "Watch DVR" activity, everything would come on, but the TV screen would be full of jagged lines. Pulling the HDMI cable out and putting it back (on the DVR) would fix the problem.

Then it got worse: I would push the button to start watching the DVR and all the units would power on, but there would be no sound and no picture. Eventually, the sound would start, followed by the picture. And I'm not talking a 5 second issue either. It takes from 5 to 15 minutes! If you're patient, it will work fine eventually. Of course, I'm not that patient...

The HDMI cable to the DVR was a cheap $10 cable, so I switched it with the DVD player's expensive Monster cable. Same issue. So it's not the cable.

Meanwhile, I watched a DVD a few nights ago and it's got exactly the same problem. This leads me to believe it has to be the Onkyo receiver.

Any suggestions? Anyone seen this before? I *really* don't want to have to ship it off to be repaired.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Bypass the receiver and connect your source directly to your tv and see if it still does the same thing. HDMI switching and audio problems can occur in the tv that would make you think it is from the receiver.

A friend of mine was ready to send his receiver back - a Pioneer - but when we tested straight into the tv it showed that the tv was the problem. TV got repaired and the problem is gone.
HDMI requires a handshake between components to work and if that does not happen correctly, delays and outright no picture/audio can result. Trouble shooting requires connecting and changing cable routing until the problem is isolated.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I will certainly try that, but I'll have to wait till morning. The other odd thing is that once the system has been on a few hours, turning off and right back on won't re-create the problem.

However, I'm not sure this will prove anything, since it's not just the video that doesn't work. The audio doesn't either. I turn the whole system on, press play (DVR or DVD), and wait with silence and a black screen for 5 to 15 minutes.

When it decides to start working, the audio always comes on first, followed within seconds by video. If the TV weren't working right, you'd think the sound would have started immediately since it didn't go through the TV.

I'll have to find some old non-HDMI cables and change the TV and receiver inputs, but I'll report back.

Thanks.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI goes through the handshake process with audio as well as video. Routing your sources such as DVD and cable/satellite may show the problem to be in the tv. If no problem is found with a direct connection to the tv then the receiver needs attention.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I took the receiver out of the equation and experienced no delay. I also did a reset to factory defaults on the receiver and put everything back the way it was and had to wait 9 minutes for the DVD I put in to start producing sound and picture.

Looks like it's the receiver.... :-(

Unless anyone else has any ideas???

Thanks.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM

I have a similar issue. I've got a PS3 (HDMI) to SR606 (HDMI) to Epson 6500ub projector. When I turn everything on, I get no video or sound until about the 2 minute mark. Then everything clicks and I get a picture. Connecting the PS3 directly into the projector works fine.

I tried the WII yesterday into the SR606 with composite cables. No video (just audio) until I went into the SR606 and forced 1080i (instead of "through"). Then I got a picture. Then I'd switch back to "through" and the picture would remain.

Dishnetwork 722 box works fine every time.

What gives???? Very frustrating.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
3pwood - see my response in the 606 owner's thread. I've suggested a few swaptronics approaches.

veggieliving - it sounds like the 606's HDMI circuit (or maybe just the ports on the receiver) is slowly failing, like HAL in 2001.

I'd suggest you send it in for diagnosis and repair, but you might want to try swapping out a different receiver "just to be sure". Can you borrow a receiver (ideally a 606) from a friend/relative? Also, you could try the other HDMI ports on the 606 as further experimentation.

IMHO,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the new suggestions. I did try a different HDMI port and still experienced the problem. I have no receiver to switch out, so I guess I'm sending HAL off to the shop. :-(

Thanks for all your help.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieliving View Post

Thanks for the new suggestions. I did try a different HDMI port and still experienced the problem. I have no receiver to switch out, so I guess I'm sending HAL off to the shop. :-(

Thanks for all your help.

By chance any update on this? I have a TX-SR606 that is less than 6mo old that is doing almost *exactly* the same thing. I have it connected to a Sammy 46" A530 and have been running a PS3, an HTPC, and a Dish ViP722 through it, all via HDMI, without any issue for the last 6 months.

Suddenly, I can only get signal through from the Dish receiver. No PS3, no HTPC. I've verified I can get signal from the Dish receiver via all 4 HDMI inputs, and I've also verified I cannot get signal from the HTPC or PS3 via any of the HDMI inputs. Both the HTPC and PS3 work fine connected directly to the TV.

The thing runs stupid hot, so I've left it unplugged for 24h and still nothing when firing it back up. I did find that I can get signal from the HTPC if I bump its' resolution down to 720p, but no 1080 anything.

Also tried resetting to factory defaults. No luck.

Looks like only recourse is to ship off for service and be without during the repair?

Very frustrating....

Thanks for any input or further info on your experience!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

veggieliving - it sounds like the 606's HDMI circuit (or maybe just the ports on the receiver) is slowly failing, like HAL in 2001.

I think I can hear him crooning "Daisy Daisy".

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm the original poster. I finally gave up and called to get the service center information (DTR Technology in Colorado) and shipped my receiver away. And waited for 7 weeks while they ordered parts and installed them!

It's back now and working great, but I'm not a huge Onkyo fan now...
post #12 of 12 Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 AM

Liked: 12

This problem is well known and extensively discussed with simple solutions if you're handy with a soldering iron. See the thread here:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1246078/how-to-diy-tx-sr576-tx-sr606-etc-hdmi-daughterboard-repair-for-dummies/690#post_24151775

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page