Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

No. You'll need to set your PS3 for bitstream and forego HD audio if you're not using HDMI out.

It's all a conspiracy to get me to buy a new TV that my wife will not allow!

I already spent my WAF points on speakers and a receiver...guess the old RPTV has to stay for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

I already spent my WAF points on speakers and a receiver...guess the old RPTV has to stay for a while...

Even without the HD audio, it's going to sound great.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My 607 is on the way and I'm hoping you guys can answer my question. I have an Energy sub that has L and R RCA inputs on it (no single LFE). Are you guys that have similar setup just running a single RCA cable from one of the 607's sub preouts to the L RCA input on the sub or are you using an RCA splitter?

I think the inputs are bridged on the sub so I'm not sure if it matters. I think the manual for the Energy sub says to plug it into the L RCA input.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

My 607 is on the way and I'm hoping you guys can answer my question. I have an Energy sub that has L and R RCA inputs on it (no single LFE). Are you guys that have similar setup just running a single RCA cable from one of the 607's sub preouts to the L RCA input on the sub or are you using an RCA splitter?

I think the inputs are bridged on the sub so I'm not sure if it matters. I think the manual for the Energy sub says to plug it into the L RCA input.

Thanks.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter; it doesn't seem to on my Polk PSW10.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I heard that you can just plug it into one of the inputs, but I got splitters and used those just to be safe.

My 607 arrived yesterday. I was hoping to get all the setup done yesterday and spend today enjoying it, but I didn't get much done yesterday and spent most of today getting everything set up (I moved around some things and changed my setup a little, so all that time wasn't just for the 607). I finally got it all ready to go this afternoon...just in time for my wife to want to use the tv to work out. D'oh! I guess I'll have to wait until tonight to put this thing through its paces. I did get to hear a little of the Weezer concert in Japan on Palladia this afternoon and it sounded awesome.

My wife has already commented on having the extra side speakers and how loud the subs sound, so I'm sure tonight she'll be yelling downstairs for me to turn down the sound when I'm watching movies and playing games.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I didn't think it mattered but I also bought both a subwoofer cable and a splitter so I will test both to see how it sounds.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 PM

I got mine all hooked up and holy crap... Even with my old Onkyo HTIB speakers the difference is amazing! The 607 blows my old Onkyo LS-500C out of the water. So.... any cool little tricks that I need to change that are deep in the menu?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On second thought, you might be able to use both the AV cable for component out and HDMI for audio out.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytre View Post

Does the 607 have the hdmi 1.3 mini connectors or full size hdmi connectors?

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I hadn't realized there were HDMI 1.3 Mini connectors... (hadn't really followed that very much...)

based on what I've read, it appears that the connectors on this shold work fine with older HDMI 1.2 gear... which I think covers my Tivo S3 and my older Vizio Plasma...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post

I got mine all hooked up and holy crap... Even with my old Onkyo HTIB speakers the difference is amazing! The 607 blows my old Onkyo LS-500C out of the water. So.... any cool little tricks that I need to change that are deep in the menu?

This sounds familiar...

I'm replacing a HT-R530 (from a HT-S780 series)...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM

After 5 hours of playing with it, I am really happy I made this purchase. I had no idea my existing speakers could even sound this good. If you are on the fence and are thinking about this AVR... BUY IT. You won't be disappointed.

One question I have though is how hot does this get? I put my hand over the top after turning it off for the night and its pretty warm. I'm assuming this is normal with most AVRs?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 PM

I just received my brand new 607.. im just having a problem. Anyone has tried this unit with a Wii + Component cables ? For some reason my screen "dances" left right (moves a few pixels). And when I upscale to 1080i the video still "dances", and the video doesnt fill up the screen (I can see a black part on the left and top side of my lcd).

I've tried with the Wii being configured as 480i/480p, regular screen, widescreen, etc with same issues. If I hook up the component directly to my TV set the video looks crisp (and zero movement). Now if I connect it via composite to the receiver, it seems to work, but the wii wont be able to output 480p.

My display is a Samsung LN52A630 that is connected to my receiver via a HDMI 1.3a cable.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks guys. I didn't think it mattered but I also bought both a subwoofer cable and a splitter so I will test both to see how it sounds.

so thats what you meant in your pm. This is my first stand alone sub, so I plugged both outputs into one sub!

Just tried a lil experiment and unplugged one and the sound drops lower. The sound I get from both is great though. Maybe this is why when i was watching a show off satellite, the bass was heavy in all listening modes.

Since I don't watch tv, I will keep the dual outputs connected for movies and video games.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asskick View Post

I just received my brand new 607.. im just having a problem. Anyone has tried this unit with a Wii + Component cables ? For some reason my screen "dances" left right (moves a few pixels). And when I upscale to 1080i the video still "dances", and the video doesnt fill up the screen (I can see a black part on the left and top side of my lcd).

I've tried with the Wii being configured as 480i/480p, regular screen, widescreen, etc with same issues. If I hook up the component directly to my TV set the video looks crisp (and zero movement). Now if I connect it via composite to the receiver, it seems to work, but the wii wont be able to output 480p.

My display is a Samsung LN52A630 that is connected to my receiver via a HDMI 1.3a cable.

I just received my component cables today. I will be attaching it over the weekend. Will let you know then.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the chart...I looked up the manual (should have thought of that)

Gotcha, thanks. Ok...looks like I have to visit Monoprice to get the PS3 component cable!
How about audio...can I still take advantage of the HD audio tracks via an optical cable?

HD audio is only via HDMI or 5.1/7.1 analog (not sure that applies to PS3). Optical doesn't have the bandwidth for HD audio.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

HD audio is only via HDMI or 5.1/7.1 analog (not sure that applies to PS3). Optical doesn't have the bandwidth for HD audio.

That's what I thought. I am going to check on the PS3 thread to see if it will allow component out for video and, at the same time, HDMI out for sound to the receiver.

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I have a Wii connected with component cables and I don't have any issues. I haven't "played" any games with it since setting up my 607, but I did go through some of the menus, etc. I am using "COMPONENT VIDEO IN 1" and have HDMI out to a Vizio TV. I double checked my Wii setup and I'm set to widescreen and HDTV.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:

On page 8 of this thread someone else spoke about hooking up the wii... I am also interested in this issue. Seems like this guy has it working...

"Trojan35 - I can comfirm the 607 can take a component input and output it via HDMI. In my scenario, my both Xbox 360 and Wii were output over HDMI, however I did this at 1080i versus 720p as this is my preferred setting. I did not check about 720p, but I see no reason why it would not work. I was not able to test if it can take a 1080i component signal and output/upconvert to 1080p as my TV is not capable of 1080p. I somewhat doubt this though due to component limitations."
Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liger_trainer View Post

I have a Wii connected with component cables and I don't have any issues. I haven't "played" any games with it since setting up my 607, but I did go through some of the menus, etc. I am using "COMPONENT VIDEO IN 1" and have HDMI out to a Vizio TV. I double checked my Wii setup and I'm set to widescreen and HDTV.

I must be overlooking this, but where in the manual does it tell you how to assign an audio input to the component video in?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM

bought this last night from newegg so i could get the free polk psw10 sub...also ordered a pair of polk monitor 50s for my fronts, a polk cs2 center, and polk m20s for my surrounds....i can't wait to hook it all up and be blown away since i'm coming from a 6 year old Samsung HTIB setup
Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig39630 View Post

bought this last night from newegg so i could get the free polk psw10 sub...also ordered a pair of polk monitor 50s for my fronts, a polk cs2 center, and polk m20s for my surrounds....i can't wait to hook it all up and be blown away since i'm coming from a 6 year old Samsung HTIB setup

we expect a full comparison review
Old 05-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifan View Post

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I hadn't realized there were HDMI 1.3 Mini connectors... (hadn't really followed that very much...)

based on what I've read, it appears that the connectors on this shold work fine with older HDMI 1.2 gear... which I think covers my Tivo S3 and my older Vizio Plasma...

They're called type C connectors, designed for mobile devices.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda View Post

I must be overlooking this, but where in the manual does it tell you how to assign an audio input to the component video in?

Who actually reads the manual

I think what I did is assigned the video to Comp 1 and the audio to the analogue "game" input. You can assign the digital video input on the 607 menu, but I didn't see where you can assign analogue audio. I have my xbox360 and Wii both assigned as "game" on the remote and they both work...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Mine arrived today. can't wait to get home and hook it up.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Hey guys. I just received this receiver today from J & R and I'm a total AV newbie so bare with me if it's a silly question.

My setup is as follow:

Samsung LN52B750
Sony PS3
ATT Uverse
KEF KHT5005.2
Onkyo 607

So it's all connected like this.

PS3, Uverse box ------> AVR ----------> TV all with HDMI cables.

What I want is to be able to watch Uverse without turning on the receiver and just use the TV speakers but whenever I turn off the AVR it says check signal? What am I doing wrong. Please help this AVR newbie and sorry for the silly question but I must've missed something along the way.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlipp3r View Post

Hey guys. I just received this receiver today from J & R and I'm a total AV newbie so bare with me if it's a silly question.

My setup is as follow:

Samsung LN52B750
Sony PS3
ATT Uverse
KEF KHT5005.2
Onkyo 607

So it's all connected like this.

PS3, Uverse box ------> AVR ----------> TV all with HDMI cables.

What I want is to be able to watch Uverse without turning on the receiver and just use the TV speakers but whenever I turn off the AVR it says check signal? What am I doing wrong. Please help this AVR newbie and sorry for the silly question but I must've missed something along the way.

You'll need to run the Uverse HDMI directly to the TV to be able to watch without turning on the AVR. When the AVR is not on, nothing runs through it.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

You'll need to run the Uverse HDMI directly to the TV to be able to watch without turning on the AVR. When the AVR is not on, nothing runs through it.

Okay, thanks. I think I get it now. I will need to run separate wires. Was hoping to avoid that and make it less messy. So I guess I need to get some component cables and optical and run it from the uverse box to the tv.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Okay, thanks. I think I get it now. I will need to run separate wires. Was hoping to avoid that and make it less messy. So I guess I need to get some component cables and optical and run it from the uverse box to the tv.

The 607 is not pass through?
Yes, Uverse to tv via HDMI and Uverse to 607 via optical.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:

That blows because I would love to just be able to turn on the AVR for those times when there are movies to be watched. Is there anyway I can do that? With cables like optical or coax. I assume just a wild guess that I would run a coax or optical cable from the Uverse box out to the AVR coax or optical in.

In addition to the HDMI output, your U-verse box should also have component video and analog audio outputs. I would connect the HDMI output to the 607 and also connect the component and analog audio outputs directly to the TV. Then, you just need to select the component input on the TV when the 607 isn't powered on and the HDMI input when you are doing the full home theater thing.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

Thats not true.

I had the exact same issue, and it works for me on my panasonic viera link plasma.

Infact, i had sent an email to Onkyo support as well, and this is what they said:

Quote:

es as long as your devices are connect via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver is connected to the TV with HDMI you can watch Cable on the TV without the receiver turned on. You need to go into the setup menu of the receiver and under item #7 Hardware sub menu #5 HDMI make sure that you set Control to Enabled.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver