The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2595 Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Finally got around to setting up the 607 last night (been in the box since Friday). I have an older Toshiba RPTV (80H57) which only supports 1080i and NO HDMI ports. So, I have some interesting juggling to do with this reciever.

Hooked up to my old receiver were standard DVD player, the Xbox 360, and a DirecTV HD-DVR unit. All via Component. The DVD player went directly to the TV as the second component "in" on my set has been ISF calibrated specifically for 480p. That means, unless I want to go in and recalibrate that input, I have one Component in on the TV to work with here (it's calibrated for 1080i).

SO, now I have my DTV DVR going to the receiver (component), my PS3 (component to receiver for video, HDMI to receiver for sound) and I have to let my 360 cables hang in the back as there are only two component INPUTS on the receiver.

Ran the Audessy setup routine and it did a decent enough job with my SVS SCS-01 speakers and sub. Although, I dialed up the crossovers for the front and center a bit (Audessy had them at 60) and added a bit more punch to my sub. My room is not an ideal environment as it is my main living room with cathedral ceilings and a loft overlooking. But, the sound was great and I could definitly tell the difference in the HD tracks over standard Dolby Digital. I had a Yamaha HTR 5040 (think that's it) which sounded great but had no HDMI or HD audio codec support. This gives me that functionality and sounds great, to boot.

My only issue is that to play games on the 360, I have to unplug the PS3 components and plug in the 360's. Not a huge deal, but annoying right now.

I plan on finishing the basement this year and having a dedicated theater room. I also will be selling off the old Toshiba set and getting a new Plasma or LCD so that I have HDMI connectivity throughout (and eliminate the need to unplug/plug component connections)

So far the receiver was a good purchase and upgrade for me. It future proofs me with 5 HDMI inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2595 Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked: 10
Setup my 607. A few thoughts:

1) Volume display overlay on analog sources is pretty nice.
2) Drives my craptastic speakers a lot better than the old Sony HTIB.
3) HD Repeating is awesome, I eliminated so damn many cables with that... if only I had an elite xbox the only analog I'd have would be the Wii.
4) Audyssey set up my speakers much better than I had done myself (i'm no expert). Love it.
5) It gets confused on signals that change resolutions. My xbox playing games at 720p is fine and passed through to the TV at 720p, but when the xbox switches to a play a dvd at 480p the onkyo 4:3 boxes the letterbox'd image and puts it out at some HD resolution. I just use my blue-ray player to play DVD's now, since it upscales to 720p and it avoids this problem. This is my only complaint so far. The 480i Wii gets upscaled/convereted. It's not optimal because I think my TV is then downscaling it to 720p from 1080i, but I'm not sure on all of that.

Now to try and find a great deal on a center/floor and a sub or two
post #453 of 2595 Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Heres a question thats been talked about a lot but I'm still not 100% sure on. Sorry.(Have much to learn).

If I hook a Panny 60 blu ray to this with the hdmi cable do I have to worry about the problem CNET talks about with the vidio upscaling. This is all I will be hooking up to it at this time. (Except for hopfully a G10)

Thanks much
post #454 of 2595 Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warrior View Post

Heres a question thats been talked about a lot but I'm still not 100% sure on. Sorry.(Have much to learn).

If I hook a Panny 60 blu ray to this with the hdmi cable do I have to worry about the problem CNET talks about with the vidio upscaling. This is all I will be hooking up to it at this time. (Except for hopfully a G10)

Thanks much

HDMI is unaltered. Only analog inputs can be upscaled and only if you set it to.
post #455 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 05:26 AM

Will the 607 pass a 1080p xbox 360 component signal though hdmi untouched? Everytime I set my 360 at 1080p and run it through the 607 I dont get a picture. If I switch it back to 1080i it does work.
post #456 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvoid View Post

Will the 607 pass a 1080p xbox 360 component signal though hdmi untouched? Everytime I set my 360 at 1080p and run it through the 607 I dont get a picture. If I switch it back to 1080i it does work.

No, per manual it only does 1080i via component. But don't sweat it, your TV should upscale to 1080p.
post #457 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

HDMI is unaltered. Only analog inputs can be upscaled and only if you set it to.

So if you got let say a dvr box (HDMI), blu ray (HDMI), PC (component). If you send the one HDMI out to the TV, does that include the PC (component), also?
post #458 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RgnCajun68 View Post

Thanks mayurbhatia. I changed this setting. Now my Toshiba Regza works with my cable DVR box on and Onkyo 607 in standby mode. Great.

Just keep in mind that "standby" is not "off." We went through this a while ago in the 606 thread and somebody found that it runs (I'm guessing) something between 50 and 70% power. So, more "on" than "off."
post #459 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunging View Post

So if you got let say a dvr box (HDMI), blu ray (HDMI), PC (component). If you send the one HDMI out to the TV, does that include the PC (component), also?

Yup
post #460 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM

What would I gain by spending the extra $$ on the Onkyo dock over the Apple universal dock besides the on screen display function? To me that function is worthless. I don't want to have to turn my TV on every time I want to listen to the Ipod. Both can display video and both have a remote.

Any other pros/cons against using the Apple dock that is HALF the price??

Thanks!
post #461 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Walnuts View Post

What would I gain by spending the extra $$ on the Onkyo dock over the Apple universal dock besides the on screen display function? To me that function is worthless. I don't want to have to turn my TV on every time I want to listen to the Ipod. Both can display video and both have a remote.

Thanks!

I was just going to post a question to get people's opinion on the UP-A1 since it seems REALLY expensive. I'm looking forward to hearing what people think.
post #462 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Wouldn't the Onkyo dock with the OSD also allow you to view movies/video files? For those with a lot of videos that might be worth it.

BTW, I am pretty sure NewEgg has a new deal with the 607 where you get the Onkyo dock free.
post #463 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Wouldn't the Onkyo dock with the OSD also allow you to view movies/video files? For those with a lot of videos that might be worth it.

BTW, I am pretty sure NewEgg has a new deal with the 607 where you get the Onkyo dock free.

I think you can also hook up the Apple Universal Dock via component cables and watch movies/videos, but the cable isn't included. But for me, I don't really care about that. I just want to listen to music. What else do people use beside the Onkyo or Apple docks if you just want to listen to your iPod music on the 607 (preferably with a remote)
post #464 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Has anyone got the 607's universal remote to work with their Xbox 360 or U-verse? Just curious as I cannot get mine to work with either one even thought the remote has codes for the Xbox and some motorola devices. I have Netflix running on the 360 and wanted to eliminate all the controllers possible.
post #465 of 2595 Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

3) HD Repeating is awesome, I eliminated so damn many cables with that... if only I had an elite xbox the only analog I'd have would be the Wii.

I'm in the same boat, wishing I had a newer 360 with HDMI. Close to selling this one and buying new one just for the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

5) It gets confused on signals that change resolutions. My xbox playing games at 720p is fine and passed through to the TV at 720p, but when the xbox switches to a play a dvd at 480p the onkyo 4:3 boxes the letterbox'd image and puts it out at some HD resolution. I just use my blue-ray player to play DVD's now, since it upscales to 720p and it avoids this problem. This is my only complaint so far. The 480i Wii gets upscaled/convereted. It's not optimal because I think my TV is then downscaling it to 720p from 1080i, but I'm not sure on all of that.

I just unboxed mine, I haven't had a chance to set it up and play yet, but from skimming the manual, it seems that you should be able to specify how you want the 607 to scale for each input. You should be able to tell it not to molest the signal at all. It better, I don't want it trying to be smart for me when I just want it to pass the signal along to the projector.

Looks like page 83 of the manual (doesn't look like per device like I thought). I'd want to set it to "through". Play with this setting to see if you can get it to do what you'd like it to.
post #466 of 2595 Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 AM

Liked: 12
Well you can always trade in your old 360 minus the hard drive and use that money to go towards an Arcade 360 which has a HDMI output and it's only $199. I had to buy a second one just because my elite kept giving me 3rrod.
Back to the 607 I just sold my 606 and will have to ship it out either Thursday or Friday and will have no receiver until the 2nd. Man I am going to hate this. Good thing there aren't any good Blu Rays out til the 9th when Gran Torino is released.
post #467 of 2595 Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Hey everyone -

Quick question RE: the 607 setup.

I did the Audyssey configuration, no problems. I have the equalizer set to use Audyssey, my question is this:

When you are selecting the "listening mode" on the receiver with a PS3 as your blu-ray player, should it always be in Multi-Channel mode since the PS3 only outputs LPCM? So no matter if its a blu-ray, standard dvd, or PS3 game, I should leave the receiver on Multi-Channel because the PS3 is doing all the decoding and just sending out the channels to the receiver who simply pushes them out to the speakers right?

What do the other listening modes accomplish and when would you use them?

Thanks,
Jason
post #468 of 2595 Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphussey View Post

Hey everyone -

I did the Audyssey configuration, no problems. I have the equalizer set to use Audyssey, my question is this:

When you are selecting the "listening mode" on the receiver with a PS3 as your blu-ray player, should it always be in Multi-Channel mode since the PS3 only outputs LPCM? So no matter if its a blu-ray, standard dvd, or PS3 game, I should leave the receiver on Multi-Channel because the PS3 is doing all the decoding and just sending out the channels to the receiver who simply pushes them out to the speakers right?

Thanks,
Jason

Great questions...I am in the same boat. I checked the "display" button when running different Blu Ray discs (some DTS HD and others Dolby TrueHD, or whatever their called) and the 607 just says Multi PCM.

I wanted to make sure it was processing correctly.

Although, the PS3 display that showes the current audio stream does show it outputting the HD codecs...
post #469 of 2595 Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphussey View Post

Hey everyone -

Thanks,
Jason

The 607 selects Multi-Chan based on the input it sees. There is no need to change anything on the 607 as it is processing the input as intended by the disc manufacturer. The PS3 cannot bitstream the HD codecs, so it outputs them LCPM. If you change the PS3 to bitstream, then it will output the lossy audio rather than lossless. Of course, you should ensure that the proper audio output is selected for each disc you play.
post #470 of 2595 Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM

I will say that when I let the PS3 auto detect which formats to send audio to the 607 with, I ran into some weird error messages and it wouldn't let me listen to the one SACD I owned. I turned off some off the higher frequency stuff and the 7.1 since I've only got a 5.1 setup right now and it's been working problem free since then.

I also have a 360 (with HDMI) and I did eventually find a code to get it to work although I don't know what the code is at this point. Mostly I like that I can turn it on/off since it's too loud to use as a movie/music player (the PS3 does that job). I'd have thought the IR codes would be the same between the different versions of the 360 though so I can't imagine that the HDMI version would have a different set than the original non-HDMI version.

I have to say that I do love this little guy, I've got my TiVo, PS3, and 360 all hooked up via a single HDMI cable each and then just the one HDMI cable running to my TV. If the wireless connectivity on them weren't so much slower I'd almost be able to eliminate everything but the HDMI and power cords.
post #471 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 AM

Just got the '607 setup with HDMI in from the cable box and AppleTV and HDMI out to my JVC RPTV. I have component in from the DVD player and the Wii. These all seem to be working OK.
Should I be seeing a OSD for volume and such? When I go into setup, the OSD seems to work OK, but I guess I expected to see at least the volume level on the screen.
I have the OSD set to on in the setup screen but the manual makes reference that it still may not function.
Other than this, the '607 seems to be a really good value for the money.
post #472 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The OSD cannot be overlayed when using an HDMI source, but will work when using an analog source. When you do the Setup Menu, the HDMI source is suspended so you can see it.
post #473 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 08:15 AM

I think I am running into a problem with my receiver. I am pretty sure when I first got it that when I turned on the receiver that it defaults to cable/sat but now when I turn it on it defaults to tv/tape. Anyone know how I can make it default to cable/sat when you turn it on?
post #474 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlipp3r View Post

I think I am running into a problem with my receiver. I am pretty sure when I first got it that when I turned on the receiver that it defaults to cable/sat but now when I turn it on it defaults to tv/tape. Anyone know how I can make it default to cable/sat when you turn it on?

It should turn on to whatever you had it last set to before turning it off.
post #475 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarphram View Post

It should turn on to whatever you had it last set to before turning it off.

That's what I thought. I just tested it again and turned it off with the input cable/sat and left it off for 5 mins. Turned it back on then it defaulted to tv/tape.
post #476 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Yes the Onkyo dock lets you view video and so does the Apple doc but the cables do not come with it. Video is not my concern. I just need audio. I guess I will just go with the Apple doc since it is half the price of the Onkyo.

Anyone out there have any opinions on the Apple doc?

Bueller? Bueller?
post #477 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Yes the Onkyo dock lets you view video and so does the Apple doc but the cables do not come with it. Video is not my concern. I just need audio. I guess I will just go with the Apple doc since it is half the price of the Onkyo.

Anyone out there have any opinions on the Apple doc?

Bueller? Bueller?

Wont you need an additional remote if you go with the apple dock?
post #478 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post

Wont you need an additional remote if you go with the apple dock?

The Apple doc comes with its own remote. It can do everything the Onkyo can except for the OSD function.
post #479 of 2595 Old 05-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

so you're saying ANY video ran through an hdmi input cannot be upscaled or upconverted?i am a novice to avrs as i have not owned one yet.as you may have guessed i own the low end sony stereo reciever and a pair of !jbl 3 ways all over 10 yrs old.sony lost me when i burnt through 3 dvd/vcr decks which all failed.my primary concern is,when running video from my pc through 8800gt dvi to hdmi to the onkyo avr hdmi input is it going to do any upscaling or upconverting or is that limited to dvd/vcr input?
post #480 of 2595 Old 05-30-2009, 07:14 AM

Has anyone heard an update in status for the 6ave.com order? Every time I call, it is supposed to come in by the end of next week. Today they said it would ship by next Friday, 6/5. My order was placed on 5/10 in the early morning.

Is 6ave.com a reliable company? Are the orders at risk of being dropped?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page