Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2595 Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ephatch View Post

This may or may not be news to you all but...

I just placed my order for one of these on Amazon.com and I'm still not sure why but the total came out to $419 shipped with the free super saver shipping option. It had a promo code applied that took $74 off the total. Thing is it must be a sale because I didn't type in a promo code or anything, just chose the super saver shipping and it took off the shipping cost plus that $74.

See the attachment below for my order summary. Hopefully some of you guys can score the same deal.

Thanks! Just placed my order! Been waiting for it to go on sale and would have never known it had a discount. The emails amazon's been sending out in June never seemed to imply a Promo code would be applied to this one. Went with the free shipping, maybe I'll get it by Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2595 Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

I'm upconverting my Nintendo Wii and my Dreamcast.

From sales figures I can deduce that one or two other people are also probably upconverting their Wii as well.

Hi -- I am upverting the Wii to 720p -- figure it'd be smoother than 1080i, but its hard to tell. Can you advise what are you connecting the Dreamcast with -- the 607 doesn't have S-video. Are you upconverting through composite cables?
post #543 of 2595 Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Anyone have their HTPC working through the 607? I seem to be having the issue where the graphics card (8500GT) signal shuts down when it doesn't detect the display's EDID, when the 607 switches to another input. If there is a vid card that doesn't have the issue I might consider that over using a DVI Doctor.

weird...

My PNY 8600GTS works great with my 607... though I vend audio through a tos-link cable. btw, I hook this up as my second head on a dual head system...

I did find that I had to downgrade the signal to 720p so that I could adjust the screen desktop size so I would have the full screen...

looked good.
post #544 of 2595 Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM

I just picked up a 607, and am having a little trouble with my htpc dropping the audio from the HDMI connection. My htpc has an 8800gt that requires a jumper to the spdif for audio via hdmi though....so the problem may have just been a bad connection.

As i'm writing this, the audio just dropped out again I'm %60 sure the prob is in the htpc, but haven't ruled out a receiver issue 100% yet.

I guess i'll try and connect the audio directly via spdif and see if that works better.....or I have an hd4870 laying around that I can try also.
post #545 of 2595 Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Try vending a HDMI signal through that jack with another piece of gear...

if that works consistently where your HTPC doesn't... your next bet is to check your cable...
and if the cable that doesn't work with the HTPC works with another device, your down to the video card.

(Test to rule out and eliminate parts...)
post #546 of 2595 Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgmann View Post

I just picked up a 607, and am having a little trouble with my htpc dropping the audio from the HDMI connection. My htpc has an 8800gt that requires a jumper to the spdif for audio via hdmi though....so the problem may have just been a bad connection.

As i'm writing this, the audio just dropped out again I'm %60 sure the prob is in the htpc, but haven't ruled out a receiver issue 100% yet.

I guess i'll try and connect the audio directly via spdif and see if that works better.....or I have an hd4870 laying around that I can try also.

I don't have a 607 but a had a similar issue with my one day old 706, there is a good chance it's not the same problem because I was using DVI to HDMI for video only and an optical cable for audio but just in case...

When the sound drops out are there any changes to the receivers display? Input type not showing or changing, audio mode vanishing ETC... ETC...

post #547 of 2595 Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitai View Post

I just thought I would post here to let people know that Sixth Avenue Electronics has shipped my receiver today. I had ordered it on the 5/14/09 and had payed with paypal. Hopefully others that ordered from this company will be having theirs ship soon if they haven't already.

Well, apparently 6thAve doesn't ship them based on who ordered first. I ordered mine 2 days before you and there is still no shipping info showing. I am not in a hurry for the 607 but this is ridiculous. I really didn't expect it to take the full 21 business days and after tomorrow I will now be past that.

How can it possibly take this long to get stock of a product? I understand they probably sold a lot due to the sale but they should be prepared for that. I am considering canceling my order and going with the Amazon deal, especially since I have a $100 gift card with them.

This was my first time ordering with 6thAve and will probably be my last. I guess it's just especially annoying since someone ordered theirs 2 days after me and theirs shipped a week ago while I'm still waiting.
post #548 of 2595 Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifan View Post

weird...

My PNY 8600GTS works great with my 607... though I vend audio through a tos-link cable. btw, I hook this up as my second head on a dual head system...

I did find that I had to downgrade the signal to 720p so that I could adjust the screen desktop size so I would have the full screen...

looked good.

Thanks for the input. Did some searching and found a solution that involved stopping the Nvidia service. Did this at the same time I upgraded drivers to 185.85 and works like a charm - no signal dropping. Not sure which of the two changes, or both, did the trick.

On another note, is there a way to directly switch between the TV audio out and receiver audio out? Seems odd that this feature is buried deep in the settings menu. I would have expected a dedicated remote code to allow toggling or at least the ability to set it up per input.

Jim
post #549 of 2595 Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the advice,

but I think I've narrowed it down to an overheating problem.

Long story short, my wiring/cabling hasn't arrived yet, so I temporarily set up the speakers with the super wimpy wire that came with the dayton speakers. I think it's stressing the amp, and overheating it.

So, I've rigged up a pair of 120mm fans on 5v DC to pull hot air off the receiver. My wiring will be here tomorrow, but it will be a few days before I can run all the wiring(in wall). The fans are doing the job for now, but hopefully the speaker wire will make a difference.

The case for this amp is pretty poorly designed. I wish I could mod it without voiding the warranty. I may anyway. I'd like to add an intake fan on each side, and 2 or 3 exhaust fans on top.

I think I'll probably just fab up an acrylic fan housing for the top of the receiver case though
post #550 of 2595 Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

This was my first time ordering with 6thAve and will probably be my last. I guess it's just especially annoying since someone ordered theirs 2 days after me and theirs shipped a week ago while I'm still waiting.

A lot of theses companys take as many orders as they can before they order(then they know how many to order),then they ship to whom ever is paying more,they will get them first.
post #551 of 2595 Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermint View Post

Thanks! Just placed my order! Been waiting for it to go on sale and would have never known it had a discount. The emails amazon's been sending out in June never seemed to imply a Promo code would be applied to this one. Went with the free shipping, maybe I'll get it by Friday.

Cool, glad I could help.

Mine shipped on Monday and even with the free shipping its schedule to be here on tomorrow (Wednesday).

Its going to be replacing a a 10 year old Kenwood that was a budget receiver when I got it. So I'm expecting a noticeable increase in audio quality.
post #552 of 2595 Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool, glad I could help.

Mine shipped on Monday and even with the free shipping its schedule to be here on tomorrow (Wednesday).

Its going to be replacing a a 10 year old Kenwood that was a budget receiver when I got it. So I'm expecting a noticeable increase in audio quality.

the biggest jump in audio quality will come from some great speakers.

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #553 of 2595 Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM

HELP. I am having a strange issue with the 607 and my Xbox 360. I have noticed that if I turn on the 607, then the Xbox 360 which is hooked up via HDMI the 607 only sees an PCM audio input. Turning the 607 off waiting a second then turning it on again it does sense a Dolby Digital Signal for a second then clicks and goes to PCM again. Even if I put in a Dolby Digital game it still only sees PCM. Even cycling through the listening modes does not even have a Dolby Digital mode.

If I turn on the 360 first then the 607, it sees Dolby Digital and is 100% fine going forward even if I cycle the 607 on and off.

Any ideas?

I doubt it is the 360 as it a proven HDMI device and has had plenty of software updates to address issues. The fact the 607 sees Dolby Digital for a second then clicks to PCM tells me it is something to do with it and how is initially assigns HDMI port settings (or something like that).

I have a PS3 that I lent to friend that I may go grab to see if it does the same thing.

Thanks for any advice
post #554 of 2595 Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

the biggest jump in audio quality will come from some great speakers.

Yea, better speakers are on my list. I have a decent budget set of speakers that I've had for 3-4 years now I guess, the Athena Micra 6 system. I want to get a bigger TV and then do better speakers. Might add another sub before the TV....who knows.

With the current receiver I have a hard time hearing voices without turning it up...and then when the action starts I have to turn it down. I have my center set higher than the rest of the speakers, as high as it will go actually. So I'm hoping the 607 with its better power will drive the speakers better at lower volumes. Its GOT to be an improvement over what I have right now...haha.
post #555 of 2595 Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yea, better speakers are on my list. I have a decent budget set of speakers that I've had for 3-4 years now I guess, the Athena Micra 6 system. I want to get a bigger TV and then do better speakers. Might add another sub before the TV....who knows.

With the current receiver I have a hard time hearing voices without turning it up...and then when the action starts I have to turn it down. I have my center set higher than the rest of the speakers, as high as it will go actually. So I'm hoping the 607 with its better power will drive the speakers better at lower volumes. Its GOT to be an improvement over what I have right now...haha.

Make sure they're efficient. This is a good mid level AVR, but it's no powerhouse. The specs in the rear of the manual actually list it as 90 watts x 2 at .2% THD. At a lower distortion, it may only be 75 or so watts x 2.

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #556 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 AM

I know this may be the wrong spot for this but I have a new 607 Black in the box never used for sale. I ended up going with the Pioneer 1019 because it matched all my other components. I am in Chino Hills, CA. $425 OBO for pickup.

Thx
post #557 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM

Is there a way to turn Audissey EQ and Audissey Volume Normilization off for one source only? Along those same lines, how about turning music optimization (for mp3s) on for just one source?
post #558 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post

Yes, you can do 5.1 in zone 1 and have zone 2 with 2 channels of amplified power.

Yes with the 607 this should be possible. I have the 507 which requires analog inputs for zone 2 audio (which is the same for the 607). This sucks if you want to use digitial audio (zone 1 only) since you also have to wire the analog signals as well (for zone 2).
post #559 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

What exactly does the Late Night function do when it is set to Auto as opposed to setting it to On?
post #560 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Has anyone else had problems with IR codes?

I have this Universal Electronics Atlas 1055 Remote that came with our TW Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR. It has always worked fine with other AVRs and components. The wife likes how it works with the Cable/DVR.

With the 607, 2 of the recommended codes will turn it ON, but not OFF.

The code 0842 will turn it OFF, but not ON.

Never seen this before. The codes usually work or they don't (and you go on to try the next one).

post #561 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitai View Post

I just thought I would post here to let people know that Sixth Avenue Electronics has shipped my receiver today. I had ordered it on the 5/14/09 and had payed with paypal. Hopefully others that ordered from this company will be having theirs ship soon if they haven't already.

I ordered mine from 6th Avenue on May 19, 2009. Nothing yet.
post #562 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM

I ordered mine on 5/12 and it has still not shipped. They denied that orders placed after mine had shipped and that they were being filled in order. But, I haven't canceled my order because that is still a good price.
post #563 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Is anybody else getting the "not available" message when trying to go into Video Settings? (Pressing Receiver and then Video).
I'm trying to change some upscaling settings but can't even get into the menu...
post #564 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Dude, I placed my order the same day May 12, Order Number #Q33241, Notified of shipping/charging Friday June 5, Arrived
On my doorstep Tuesday June 9, something's amiss with your order.
post #565 of 2595 Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujacc View Post

Dude, I placed my order the same day May 12, Order Number #Q33241, Notified of shipping/charging Friday June 5, Arrived
On my doorstep Tuesday June 9, something's amiss with your order.

Well if there is something amiss with his order then there is with mine and some others also. I also ordered mine on 5/12 and still no shipping info.

Oh well, I figured I would give them my business because of the good deal but if it still hasn't shipped by tomorrow I will probably cancel and go with the Amazon deal if still available.
post #566 of 2595 Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Has anyone else had problems with IR codes?

I have this Universal Electronics Atlas 1055 Remote that came with our TW Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR. It has always worked fine with other AVRs and components. The wife likes how it works with the Cable/DVR.

With the 607, 2 of the recommended codes will turn it ON, but not OFF.

The code 0842 will turn it OFF, but not ON.

Never seen this before. The codes usually work or they don't (and you go on to try the next one).

I'm having the same issue with my comcast remote. It will control most of the 607 functionality but not turn it off. It will turn the AVR on though, so I don't know if it's something with Onkyo's or Comcast's programming or what. I'll keep looking through the codes and see if something happens.
post #567 of 2595 Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM

I bought the TX-SR607 from Amazon for $419.00 but, I have not received it yet.

My question is with my old Onkyo Receiver is had speakers set up for 6.1. That is to say 1 rear center speaker and 2 rear surround speakers for a total of 3 speakers in the rear.

Can the TX-SR607 run 6.1 speaker set up or do I have to change to 5.1 or 7.1? I hate to buy another speaker and run new speaker wires through the attic.

Thanks,

KillerBox
post #568 of 2595 Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post

My question is with my old Onkyo Receiver is had speakers set up for 6.1. That is to say 1 rear center speaker and 2 rear surround speakers for a total of 3 speakers in the rear.

Can the TX-SR607 run 6.1 speaker set up or do I have to change to 5.1 or 7.1? I hate to buy another speaker and run new speaker wires through the attic.

Thanks,

KillerBox

(1) Download user Manual.
(2) Read page 16 for speaker configuration options.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #569 of 2595 Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post

Thanks,

KillerBox

Yes, you attach the rear center to the surround back left terminal.

post #570 of 2595 Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Well, I figured it out with the help of the people over at www.hifi-remote.com

It's more of a remote issue than an 607 issue, so find out what make and model your remote is and go from there. The UEI/JP1 remotes are pretty popular universal remotes because a lot of the cable providers give them out.

Although, I think this is happening because the 607 has more than one code for on/off/standby. Anyway, here is what I did to fix it. Hopefully it will help someone else with their new SR607.

-----------------

Onkyo TX-SR607 controlled by UEI Atlas 1055
Power on/off, Volume, Mute and Input Select (using Video Source button)

Change setup code set on AUD button to 1531
- Press AUD, then press Setup for 2 seconds (2 flashes)
- Enter 1531 (2 flashes)
Be sure AVR in on.
Confirm that EFC 11972 toggles the Video Source
- Do a short press of the Setup key and then type 11972.
- Make sure the Input Select on the AVR cycles once.

If this worked,
do a 994 to keymove of EFC 11972 on to the Video/Source button
1) Hold SETUP for 2 seconds (2 flashes)
2) Type 994 (2 flashes)
3) Tap SETUP
4) Enter 11972 (the EFC)
5) Tap Video Source (the button to be programmed) ... (2 flashes)

Finally, change the setup code set on AUD button to 1789
- Press AUD, then press Setup for 2 seconds (2 flashes)
- Enter 1789 (2 flashes)

This procedure will grab the working Video Source button from the
1531 Setup Code Set, save it to memory, and use Setup Code Set
1789 for everything else (especially power).

-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeted View Post

I'm having the same issue with my comcast remote. It will control most of the 607 functionality but not turn it off. It will turn the AVR on though, so I don't know if it's something with Onkyo's or Comcast's programming or what. I'll keep looking through the codes and see if something happens.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page