post #631 of 2595 Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

think tv logic takes mono and applies it to the front 3 channels from recollection.

Since it's listed on the "Mono/Multiplex Sources" chart, if the signal is mono, it probably does. However, it's also listed on all the other charts:
Mono/Multiplex Sources
Stereo Source
5.1 channel Sources
7.1 channel Sources

This is the manual's description for TV Logic:
This mode adds realistic acoustics to TV shows produced in a TV studio, surround effects to the entire sound, and clarity to voices.

Since the word "Logic" is in the name, I was thinking it might be like the original Pro-Logic (4.1 ... where you had L,R,C and all the surround was in the 4th channel ... basically a single or "mono" surround channel).

I would hope that if the input signal is really Pro-Logic or DD5.1, it would keep L,R,C fairly descrete and just matrix the surround channels. It actually sounds ok, but I'm just trying to keep all the speakers on (all the time to prevent the clicking) and I haven't tried it on a HBO HD movie yet. But even then, it's no big deal to start the movie and then override the listening mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2595 Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I just upgraded to the 607 from a 605 and I think I am having a handshake issue. I was hoping some of you with greater knowledge than mine would be able to help me out. Hooked everything up ( set up was a breeze) programmed the logitech and was all set. But the problem I am having is when I switch activities say from HD/TV to PS3 or HD/DVD and vice versa there is no picture and the sound cuts in and out like the onkyo is "searching" for the signal. If I turn the 607 off and then back on the signals come through clear for the intended source.

Everything is hooked up by HDMI the only thing different is I a have a HDMI splitter (from monoprice) in the HDMI out with one side to my TV and the other to my projector. I only use one or the other so I don't think the issue could be with the splitter, the problem seems to be before it gets to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Devices
onkyo 607
ps3
toshiba a3
xbox 360
optoma hd65
post #633 of 2595 Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachagee View Post

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded to the 607 from a 605 and I think I am having a handshake issue. I was hoping some of you with greater knowledge than mine would be able to help me out. Hooked everything up ( set up was a breeze) programmed the logitech and was all set. But the problem I am having is when I switch activities say from HD/TV to PS3 or HD/DVD and vice versa there is no picture and the sound cuts in and out like the onkyo is "searching" for the signal. If I turn the 607 off and then back on the signals come through clear for the intended source.

Everything is hooked up by HDMI the only thing different is I a have a HDMI splitter (from monoprice) in the HDMI out with one side to my TV and the other to my projector. I only use one or the other so I don't think the issue could be with the splitter, the problem seems to be before it gets to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Devices
onkyo 607
ps3
toshiba a3
xbox 360
optoma hd65

The splitter is easy to troubleshoot. Just get rid of it and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem is still there, I wonder if it might be the cable. Meaning its not quite good enough to handle HDMI 1.3a link and/or bandwidth at the distance you are using. Since the 605 wasn't 1.3a, it wouldn't try to negotiate a 1.3a link with other components that ARE 1.3. Now, it might and the increased bandwidth might be too much for the cable?

IMO, I think MonoPrice cables are just as good, but this is a good explaination: Link

post #634 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:

...programmed the logitech and was all set. But the problem I am having is when I switch activities say from HD/TV to PS3 or HD/DVD and vice versa there is no picture and the sound cuts in and out like the onkyo is "searching" for the signal. If I turn the 607 off and then back on the signals come through clear for the intended source.

I may be way off here, but you may want to check the order which your Harmony remote activates each component. I am not having issues with my Harmony 620 and my all HDMI setup, but I just checked it now and noticed that my remote powers on the new activity component (Dish/DVD/BD) before it switches the 607 to the appropriate input. Check yours. If it switches the 607's input before powering up the component, that may be the issue. (When you mentioned cycling the 607's power, it is my understanding that you are not cycling your other components... correct?) This is very easy to correct in the Harmony software, just go to the activity details and move the component "power on" step higher up in the sequence.

I kept my sequences the same that I had them before (when I had my ol' Onk 414Pro), making the remote turn on the Dish/DVD/BD first since they take the longest to load up. Even though my rationale may have been silly when I made this decision (the difference in powering up is probably half a second or less, which doesn't really net me any noticeable amount of time), it seems to work for me.

As an aside, I was having a funky issue back when I had the 414Pro hooked up. I had my Oppo DVD running component video and RCA audio straight to TV and RCA audio out to AVR. Sometimes when I would switch to DVD, I would get audio but no video. The TV was on the appropriate input, and it knew something was there (no box showing the input title as there is with no signal), but just no video. I tried several things, incl. cycling TV power and DVD power, to limited success. I finally found a temp fix... press the HDMI selector button for the Oppo when stopped, and it made the output refresh causing the TV to "see" it. It would keep happening, but this at least made the picture show up immediately. This may have been a component issue with the Oppo or the TV, I never could figure it out. Either way, it has not happened yet (knock on wood!) since I have moved to the 607 and now have all HDMI connections. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Long story short, I feel your pain and hope you figure it out soon, as it is very frustrating.

Hope this helps.

VSP

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #635 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 AM

Thanks for the advice!

I will try these ideas tonight after work and post my results.
post #636 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 AM

I installed my TX-SR607 last night in a 6.2 speaker set up. Everything was easy but, I had one problem. I bought a bunch of HDMI cables from Monoprice. When I first started the TX-SR607, the install menu came up without a problem, then it quit working. I then moved inputs slots on my TV and the signal showed up in a purple snow haze (kinda reminded me of analog TV days).

The snow was on every input (Onkyo 805 HD DVD, Sylvania NB500SL9 and Direct TV HD DVR H-20. So then I new it had be the connection from the TX-SR607 to my Sony KDS-60A2000. The problem was the HDMI cable that I had bought from Monoprice. I stole working HDMI cables from the other TVs in my house and it worked perfect. So now, I have to buy some to replace them.

So what should everyone be looking for in HDMI cables? Also, is pass through the default set up for HDMI signals? What should I do with my Wii to hook it up with RCA cables in the front panel hookups on the TX-SR607?
post #637 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

I just got off the phone with a CSR, she wasn't very helpful. She told me its still on back order. I asked for an ETA, she said she doesn't know. Ordered mine on 5/13.

I called them today (June 17, 2009). I was told they were still on back order and were only getting a few (3-6) every other day. They have unfilled orders dating back to May 11, 2009 and over 200 unfilled orders through May 19, 2009. Unless they get a large shipment, it may be a very long time before all of the orders are filled.
post #638 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post

I installed my TX-SR607 last night in a 6.2 speaker set up. Everything was easy but, I had one problem. I bought a bunch of HDMI cables from Monoprice. When I first started the TX-SR607, the install menu came up without a problem, then it quit working. I then moved inputs slots on my TV and the signal showed up in a purple snow haze (kinda reminded me of analog TV days).

The snow was on every input (Onkyo 805 HD DVD, Sylvania NB500SL9 and Direct TV HD DVR H-20. So then I new it had be the connection from the TX-SR607 to my Sony KDS-60A2000. The problem was the HDMI cable that I had bought from Monoprice. I stole working HDMI cables from the other TVs in my house and it worked perfect. So now, I have to buy some to replace them.

So what should everyone be looking for in HDMI cables? Also, is pass through the default set up for HDMI signals? What should I do with my Wii to hook it up with RCA cables in the front panel hookups on the TX-SR607?

How many of the HDMI cables that you bought from Monoprice were bad?
post #639 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 AM

3 out of 3 cables from Monoprice would not work with my new set up.

The cables are marked as the following "HH-28F-06" & "ROHS Compliance"

They are heavy duty and nice looking cables but, they just would not work.
post #640 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

3 out of 3 cables from Monoprice would not work with my new set up.

They are heavy duty and nice looking cables but, they just would not work.

Ouch, that's too bad about the cables. I'm using two Monoprice cables myself, a 3 and 6 foot, without a problem. Must be some bad batch which I'm sure they'll replace.

I have another question for those in the know. I'm new to Onkyo land, and my 607 sounds great so far. The only weird thing seems to be the volume of my surround L + R. I have a 5.1 setup and everything with Audyssey setup went smoothly and sounds pretty good with most sources, but the surround L + R sound pretty lound compared to everything else while using the PS3.

At "normal" volume, I think it's well balanced for movies, but when I try to play video games, the surrounds sound unnaturally high. Also, when I turn it down to low volumes, the surrounds don't seem to ramp down at the same rate, i.e., they stay relatively high in level while everything in front goes down a lot. This is all at multichannel listening mode. PLII with TV sources sound pretty good even at low volume.

I wonder if this has something to do with a setting on the PS3 or not. It happens in a few different games, so I'm not sure it has to do with how the games are mixed. The problem is, if I simply turn down the surrounds, they would be turned down for movies too. Anyone getting anything similar? thankx.
post #641 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The surrounds should be located to the sides of the listening area and 1-2' ABOVE the ears. I don't know your set up, but I've seen folks put the surrounds right at their ears. I haven't had your problem, but I don't have a game console; just TV and movies.
post #642 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Which HDMI cables did you purchase? I bought five 5ft HDMI 1.3a Cat 2 CL2 (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket when they were on sale just after I ordered my 607. I have only installed 4, but all worked well. When you return the ones you bought, you might want to go with this series.

VSP

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #643 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Hi,

I upgraded to the TX-SR607 last month. Does anybody have the "ideal" movie and music settings for the below configuration?

I love this setup for movies (the sub rocks!!). But for music, not too much. I am hoping that this can be (somewhat) fixed by the correct settings.

Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 6 (5.1) .. I know..I know I need to change this..

Additional Powered SUB: BIC F-12
Front-firing 12" 475-watt peak powered subwoofer
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz
Sensitivity: 90dB
Drivers: 12" Injection molded woofer with heavy duty surround
Magnetic Shielding: YES
Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous

Sources:
1080p Upscaling DVD Player for movies - HDMI connection
Dishnetwork HD received - HDMI connection
iPod - Mini to RCA jack connected to CD player analog input

Room:
16' wide
22' deep
20' height
open to kitchen on the right

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Nick
post #644 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM

still having probs with this POS onkyo. I'm considering returning it.

The receiver functions fine for 1-2hrs, then the audio cuts out. After resting the receiver, it'll come back, but it's annoying as hell.

Any ideas on the cause? It's not overheating.
post #645 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by defriend View Post

Hi,

I upgraded to the TX-SR607 last month. Does anybody have the "ideal" movie and music settings for the below configuration?

I love this setup for movies (the sub rocks!!). But for music, not too much. I am hoping that this can be (somewhat) fixed by the correct settings.

Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 6 (5.1) .. I know..I know I need to change this..

Just a suggestion before you decide to change 'everything': Consider re-tasking the Bose Acoustimass 6 satellites to a front height pair [Lvh/Rvh] [set to SMALL], and three rear speakers [Ls/Cs/Rs] [set to LARGE], with the Bose Acoustimass woofer module placed centerish rear. That way you could just replace the front L/C/R 'now', and retain the option to upgrade the height and rear surrounds 'later'.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #646 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Just a suggestion before you decide to change 'everything': Consider re-tasking the Bose Acoustimass 6 satellites to a front height pair [Lvh/Rvh] [set to SMALL], and three rear speakers [Ls/Cs/Rs] [set to LARGE], with the Bose Acoustimass woofer module placed centerish rear. That way you could just replace the front L/C/R 'now', and retain the option to upgrade the height and rear surrounds 'later'.

hmm.. that's interesting. The Bose speaker manula says that I need to set the L, C and R speakers as "LARGE".

I will try this..

Nick
post #647 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to the level calibration being greyed out? I'm in the same boat, haven't been able to figure out how to enable it yet...
post #648 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defriend View Post

The Bose speaker manual says that I need to set the L, C and R speakers as "LARGE".

Bose didn't plan on your adding a separate sub. After you added the Bic Sub to your system, you might have tried all 8 configurations obtained by changing (speaker groups) L/R, C, and Ls/Rs from [LARGE] to [SMALL] in every combination, to see which performed best.

"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #649 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
As many of you may know here I have been pretty involved with Onkyo receivers and pre-pros the past few years. I have been pleasantly surprised how well this year is shaping up. Onkyo's 607 is the first receiver to feature the PLIIz Height sound format and it definitely will not be the last. I just hooked the 607 up where I recently had the 886 PRO and 906 receiver. So how does it hold up against their best?

Quite good. Actually it has the same "sound" which surprised me. I was expecting to be let down. Sure it does not have THX Ultra 2 Cinema (my favorite), excellent REON scaling and picture adjustments, ISF modes, per input calibration, On Screen Volume over HDMI but at the end of the day it is all about the SOUND. You get plenty of it with the 607. Plus you get a total of 6 HDMI inputs. Audyssey with the nice mic and of course the new PLIIz Height Sound Format. This unit can be had for under $500 most places! It is one heck of a buy even at $600!

I already posted my "Review" on the Height speakers so I won't go to much into it here. I will say it truly makes the 607 special. Sure I can't wait to listen to it on their high end receivers and or pre-pros but for now I am more than content. Hearing a roaring crowd has never sounded better (even on the 906). Same goes for helicopters and rain! If you have a 607 and have the room space to try the Height Speakers you have to. It would be like having a supermodel girlfriend and never doing you know what. As for not being able to do surround backs when Height is engaged, I am sure they will allow it for their higher end models. Or possibly later with a new firmware.

The remote... It is a little small. The buttons ae pretty close as well. Be sure not to accidentally tap the receiver mode button and change it into zone 2! I like the gloss look but I just wish it was a little bigger with bigger buttons. Oh well, we can't have everything at this price level.

The mic... Same excellent one you get with their higher end models. Very nice!

Power... Not bad at all. I am usually using a MPS-2 AMP with a pre-pro or the 906 type models. The 607 is handling my 9.6 set up! Seriously... Also, I should point out the 607 is pushing 28 feet of HDMI cable to my VW200 pj. Not bad there either. I had a back up HDMI SuperBooster ready to go but I guess I don't need that.

Inputs... I currently connected a Pioneer 09FD, two DirecTV HD DVRs (one by HDMI the other by component), Xbox 360, PS3 and a Security camera system via composite. I am happy to report I have not had any issues selecting any of them. Also, the DirecTV HD DVR with component looked very good.

Anything else? Yes, it does get a little warm. I really like the Antec Component Cooler (shown above the 607) even on its low setting.

In conclusion... With the 607 being this impressive I am going to go on record and say just wait and see how great the 807 will be. I expect it to have the same impact their 805 had. As for the 607, it is easily the master of this price range. With superb sound and the new sound format you can't go wrong for under $500!
LL
LL
LL

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #650 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

pleasantly surprised how well this year is shaping up. Onkyo's 607 is the first receiver to feature the PLIIz Height sound format and it definitely will not be the last.

!

I heard from someone that did a review that the plIIz needed a move that was recoeded with the plIIz formate. is there any truth in this??

Thanks john.
post #651 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

As many of you may know here I have been pretty involved with Onkyo receivers and pre-pros the past few years. I have been pleasantly surprised how well this year is shaping up. Onkyo's 607 is the first receiver to feature the PLIIz Height sound format and it definitely will not be the last. I just hooked the 607 up where I recently had the 886 PRO and 906 receiver. So how does it hold up against their best?

Quite good. Actually it has the same "sound" which surprised me. I was expecting to be let down. Sure it does not have THX Ultra 2 Cinema (my favorite), excellent REON scaling and picture adjustments, ISF modes, per input calibration, On Screen Volume over HDMI but at the end of the day it is all about the SOUND. You get plenty of it with the 607. Plus you get a total of 6 HDMI inputs. Audyssey with the nice mic and of course the new PLIIz Height Sound Format. This unit can be had for under $500 most places! It is one heck of a buy even at $600!

I already posted my "Review" on the Height speakers so I won't go to much into it here. I will say it truly makes the 607 special. Sure I can't wait to listen to it on their high end receivers and or pre-pros but for now I am more than content. Hearing a roaring crowd has never sounded better (even on the 906). Same goes for helicopters and rain! If you have a 607 and have the room space to try the Height Speakers you have to. It would be like having a supermodel girlfriend and never doing you know what. As for not being able to do surround backs when Height is engaged, I am sure they will allow it for their higher end models. Or possibly later with a new firmware.

The remote... It is a little small. The buttons ae pretty close as well. Be sure not to accidentally tap the receiver mode button and change it into zone 2! I like the gloss look but I just wish it was a little bigger with bigger buttons. Oh well, we can't have everything at this price level.

The mic... Same excellent one you get with their higher end models. Very nice!

Power... Not bad at all. I am usually using a MPS-2 AMP with a pre-pro or the 906 type models. The 607 is handling my 9.6 set up! Seriously... Also, I should point out the 607 is pushing 28 feet of HDMI cable to my VW200 pj. Not bad there either. I had a back up HDMI SuperBooster ready to go but I guess I don't need that.

Inputs... I currently connected a Pioneer 09FD, two DirecTV HD DVRs (one by HDMI the other by component), Xbox 360, PS3 and a Security camera system via composite. I am happy to report I have not had any issues selecting any of them. Also, the DirecTV HD DVR with component looked very good.

Anything else? Yes, it does get a little warm. I really like the Antec Component Cooler (shown above the 607) even on its low setting.

In conclusion... With the 607 being this impressive I am going to go on record and say just wait and see how great the 807 will be. I expect it to have the same impact their 805 had. As for the 607, it is easily the master of this price range. With superb sound and the new sound format you can't go wrong for under $500!

Sounds nice and thanks for this. Can you help out ... do you know if the 607 will matrix the LPCM 5.1 from the PS3 to 7.1? the 605 does not and I'd like to know if this model does.

thanks
-MJ
post #652 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

The splitter is easy to troubleshoot. Just get rid of it and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem is still there, I wonder if it might be the cable. Meaning its not quite good enough to handle HDMI 1.3a link and/or bandwidth at the distance you are using. Since the 605 wasn't 1.3a, it wouldn't try to negotiate a 1.3a link with other components that ARE 1.3. Now, it might and the increased bandwidth might be too much for the cable?

IMO, I think MonoPrice cables are just as good, but this is a good explaination: Link

Splitter was the problem, direct connections to the TV and the projector worked without a hitch for every source. Now, what to do next? I am tired of crawling behind the TV to swap the connection.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
post #653 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

Sounds nice and thanks for this. Can you help out ... do you know if the 607 will matrix the LPCM 5.1 from the PS3 to 7.1? the 605 does not and I'd like to know if this model does.

thanks
-MJ

Will check.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #654 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Splitter was the problem, direct connections to the TV and the projector worked without a hitch for every source. Now, what to do next? I am tired of crawling behind the TV to swap the connection.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Cool ... at least you know what the problem is now.

When using the splitter, have you tried actually killing the power (with a power strip perhaps) to the other TV? Might be a Standy issue.

Is your splitter one of the inexpensive non-powered cable types or a powered box type (appears to be a auto-switch)?

post #655 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Cool ... at least you know what the problem is now.

When using the splitter, have you tried actually killing the power (with a power strip perhaps) to the other TV? Might be a Standy issue.

Is your splitter one of the inexpensive non-powered cable types or a powered box type (appears to be a auto-switch)?

TV is powered off when I set it to the projector and vice versa.

It is the non-powered cable type, just splits the signal no switching. I don't intend to actually "split" the signal I just wanted to turn one hdmi out into two. A co-worker ordered one the same time I did and his works fine, but he does have an older onkyo though with 2 hdmi inputs.

Thanks again
post #656 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

thanks
-MJ

Just confirmed it. I sent in 5.1 PCM Multichannel and it matrixed it to 7.1.

post #657 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Just confirmed it. I sent in 5.1 PCM Multichannel and it matrixed it to 7.1.

Awesome - Thanks!!
post #658 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john7000 View Post

I heard from someone that did a review that the plIIz needed a movie that was recorded with the plIIz format. Is there any truth in this?

The were Press quotes from Dolby techs/reps that height cues could be encoded in movies [presumably in DDP encoded movies rather than in TrueHD encoded ones! Duh!] But there is no indication that it is required. [And why not encode movies in a TrueHD 7.1 'height speaker' configuration instead, and so avoid all the DPLIIz heuristic post processing...?!]

post #659 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Awesome - Thanks!!

No problem. Now get one.

post #660 of 2595 Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem. Now get one.

Or wait a couple of weeks for the 707