Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2595 Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchenv View Post

You may be using HDMI input for Video IN.
607 receiver CAN upconvert video signal from standard to high definition video ONLY if it is coming from analog source (Component or Composite).
There are more details on this in the manual.

hi. yes I hooked it by hdmi and i had it set to an hd source. went I tried on the dvd recorder setting, it let me into the menu. thanks for the help. I feel a little stupid now. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2595 Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by disguy4226 View Post

Bump

I think no one is responding because I already covered it in my previous post.

What happens when you dangle the included FM antenna (or a slightly better FM dipole antenna ... $2 at Radio Shack) out the window?

post #723 of 2595 Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I think no one is responding because I already covered it in my previous post.

What happens when you dangle the included FM antenna (or a slightly better FM dipole antenna ... $2 at Radio Shack) out the window?

Nothing happens with an outdoor antenna. AM works fine and FM works sometimes with rabbit ears. I also tested the signal by plugging in my coaxial from the cable company that has the FM feed into the 607. Also this 607 is replacing a HTIB that had a radio tuner and the HTIB always worked flawlessly with just the dinky wire that it came with for FM.

The weird thing is that when FM does work on the 607 its cristal clear
post #724 of 2595 Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveslk View Post

b is for black. I got a silver one.

Ah. Makes sense. Saw one somewhere slightly better prices, but the B on it made me wary. Thanks
post #725 of 2595 Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Well, I guess I'll chime in on this one. My 607 arrived a couple of days ago, and I just finally got it set up, using the height spkrs instead of the the surround backs.

Since I already own an 875 and a 905 (though I'm currently sending the 905 in to be repaired for some HDMI problems), I was familiar enough w/ Audyssey to plug in the calibration mic right away. Interestingly, Audyssey went through the calibration as if I have the capability of using 9 speakers on the 607. Has anyone just, as a lark, tried hooking up their backs along with their height speakers to see if they could pull it off? I'm tempted to give it a try.

As for sound quality -- the ambience of the height speakers has definitely added something VERY good to the system. The trade-off is that I am not particularly thrilled w/ the sound quality of the 607's internal amps. In the past, I have been using these speakers with an 875 as a pre-pro and Outlaw monoblocks for the front 3 channels. In comparison to the prior setup, it sounds a bit thin. I'll probably end up moving this one to another room, but it's a pretty good little receiver for the money.

I guess I should've waited for the 707 so I could use the pre-outs, but the wife wanted ideas for a Father's Day present, and I can't tell her to buy something that hasn't even come out yet.
post #726 of 2595 Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

does not sound like woes to me. 6ave is a great company. your real issue is with onkyo not being able to fill orders(which may be beyond their control). you chose to buy a new product in very high demand.

I was mainly referring to the problems I was having with the amp when using the term "woes".

And as for 6th Ave, my experience with them was far from ideal, as was their communication about the status of my order. I understand that they were having trouble getting the units from Onkyo, but I would have much preferred to have been notified of the problem rather that given the runaround.

But hey, you have your opinion of 6th Ave, and I have mine... and we are both free to post them, thanks to placed like this Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Do you have a 5.1 or a 7.1 system? If it's a 5.1 system, your surrounds are connected to the wrong terminals. They should be connected to the SL/SR, not the SBL/SBR.

If you have 5.1, you probably want to use the Multichannel listening mode. If you have 7.1, you might want to use PLIIx.

North American and Taiwan models don't have the impedance selector option.

You sir, are correct! I did indeed have the surrounds hooked up to the SBL/R terminals while using a 5.1 setup. All is well with the speakers now.

I will try the multi channel, but I am wondering, does that listening mode introduce any kind of artificial effects into the audio stream? I ask because I am really only interested in the DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD. I don't really want any other effects. Which also reminds me, if I have to use the SL/R terminal s for my surrounds, is that really the true unaltered audio I hear, or is the amp creating that sound for those channels?

And lastly, thanks for the tip about impedance. I must have misread my manual.

I really appreciate you help very much.
post #727 of 2595 Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 PM

OK, so i know the 607 upscales SD stuff through analog connections...

what about if i connect my shaw HD PVR to it with HDMI, and watch regular non-HD channels? Do those get upscaled ? I'm confused ...

also, ive got an opportunity to grab a 606 for ~$150 less. Sound quality diff between the two? I dont want 7.2, nor dpIIz, not the front HDMI...
post #728 of 2595 Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=CSEmoses;16733482]OK, so i know the 607 upscales SD stuff through analog connections...

what about if i connect my shaw HD PVR to it with HDMI, and watch regular non-HD channels? Do those get upscaled ? I'm confused ...
QUOTE]
you will need the 707 for this

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #729 of 2595 Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEmoses View Post

OK, so i know the 607 upscales SD stuff through analog connections...

HDMI...

I had the same question in a earlier post -- Is there any way to upscale a HDMI 1080i to 1080p?

kplex explained it best for me

Quote:

jrolmstd: all digital TV's do upscaling and downscaling. It's the only way an image can be displayed. If you're expecting the results of upscaling to 1080p to look like a Blu-ray disk, that's not going to happen, no matter how good the scaler. It's actually pretty hard to beat the scaler in your TV unless you buy a high-end dedicated external video processor.

You can't upscale HDMI inputs. Look at he video resolution chart towards the end of the manual. But as I said previously, receiver upscaling is usually not very good so you're not missing anything.

and

Quote:

Your TV doesn't need to report what it's upscaling to because you know it's always going to upscale to its native resolution, in your case 1080p. If it receives 480i, it deinterlaces and scales to 1080p. If it receives 720p, it upscales to 1080p. It shows you on the screen what it's receiving because that's useful to know, but if it's anything besides 1080p, it scales and/or deinterlaces it.

Deinterlacing and scaling can be done by the source, your AVR, your TV or some combination of the above, but it's all the same process. Some sources deinterlace and scale better than TV's. Some TV's have better scalers, like Pioneer Kuro's. It's rare for an AVR to do the best job. Even some people who own Reon based receivers end up turning off the receiver's video processing after testing all the possible combinations of video processing.

post #730 of 2595 Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Anyone know how this officially compares to the new and bizarrely-named RC160?
post #731 of 2595 Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 PM

anyone know the correct universal code for the 607.

I have gone through all of them, some turn it on but not off, others turn it off but not on.

I been at this for 1/2 hour, help.
post #732 of 2595 Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunging View Post

anyone know the correct universal code for the 607.

I have gone through all of them, some turn it on but not off, others turn it off but not on.

I been at this for 1/2 hour, help.

Well, it depends on what remote you are using, but ... see my posts #560 and 570 on page 19 of this thread.

Yes, it seems there is more than one code for On/Off/Standby. I had the same problem but got it working perfectly now.

post #733 of 2595 Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Anyone know how this officially compares to the new and bizarrely-named RC160?

When I saw your post I thought, "Aroo? Onkyo is releasing something new that is not the highly anticipated 707?"

From the cursory comparison I did at the Onkyo site, the differences seem to be:
- 80W vs 90W/channel
- No DTS Surround Sensation Speaker setting
- Only 5 HDMI ports (no front port)
- Not SIRIUS Ready

Everything else seems to be the same. As for the bizarre naming scheme, it seems to follow their HTiB nomeclature... the AVR for the HT-S6100 (6 series brother?) is the HT-R667, but specs for the HT-S5200 seem to be closer to the 160 (that systems AVR is the HT-R570). Since the AVR for the HT-S7100 is the TX-SR606 (it is hard to tell from the pic, but the manual available for download has 606 in the name), my guess is the HT-R160 will be the receiver for the new and improved HT-S7200 system.

Anybody else have some hard and fast info on this?

BTW, I also noticed that the 576 has been pulled from the lineup on Onkyo's site.

VSP

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #734 of 2595 Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM

I just received my 607, only to find the setup won't let me select 4 ohm.
I had reviewed the online manual but missed that the impedance setting does not apply to US models.

From the manual I understand at high volume for long periods it may do a thermal shutdown with 4 ohm speakers. I don't do high volume so this probably does not mater to me.

Are there other reasons not to use 4 ohm? Sound quality?

I can still return it, but don't want to change speakers. Is there another similar model which I should consider?

thanks
post #735 of 2595 Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont45 View Post

Are there other reasons not to use 4 ohm? Sound quality?

I can't speak to the similar model question (I don't know if Onkyo makes any NA model with 4Ω support), but as to whether or not to use 4Ω speakers I can say that mine work great with the 607. Sound quality is excellent after running Audyssey and setting the Dynamic Volume to Medium (but then again, I inherited some nice towers). I don't think I was aware of the lack of 4Ω support before purchasing, either, but it would not have swayed my decision.

If your 4Ω speakers are nice speakers (nice enough not to change, like you mentioned), then I would go ahead and use them. I don't do high volume, either (I have the volume usually between 20 and 35, depending on content), and I have not had any "amp protection" issues. My 607 does get a little toasty, but that could just be the limited air flow on the shelf that I have it on.

Hope this helps.

VSP

post #736 of 2595 Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Reading part of this thread, it seems like there is separate calibration of each subwoofer

I have two powered 12" subwoofers - different models
Now I know there is an article on calibrating two subwoofers elsewhere on this site,
but specifically WRT the 607, can I confirm two things?

1) each subwoofer is calibrated seaprately during the calibration setup phase?

2) the 607 does some appropriate R/L splitting of the low-frequency sounds based on the cutover freq you have set, or does it just split the single LFE channel with identical signals to each subwoofer?
i.e. does it create a proper set of stereo R/L subwoofer signals

Help appreciated
Jeff
post #737 of 2595 Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 AM

The review gives a thumbs-up to Pro Logic IIz
http://www.hometheatermag.com/receiv...07_av_receiver
post #738 of 2595 Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

I can't speak to the similar model question (I don't know if Onkyo makes any NA model with 4Ω support), but as to whether or not to use 4Ω speakers I can say that mine work great with the 607. Sound quality is excellent after running Audyssey and setting the Dynamic Volume to Medium (but then again, I inherited some nice towers). I don't think I was aware of the lack of 4Ω support before purchasing, either, but it would not have swayed my decision.

If your 4Ω speakers are nice speakers (nice enough not to change, like you mentioned), then I would go ahead and use them. I don't do high volume, either (I have the volume usually between 20 and 35, depending on content), and I have not had any "amp protection" issues. My 607 does get a little toasty, but that could just be the limited air flow on the shelf that I have it on.

Hope this helps.

VSP

Thanks VSP for your input. I agree with your comments but just got this from Onkyo. Their statement 'will not work' seems clearly incorrect both according to our experiences as well as their own manual. It may not work 100% but is this just their cop-out?

Don

Onkyo Support:
Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.
Donald,
The TX-SR607 will not work with speakers that are 4 ohms. You would need to go with the TX-SR706 and up.
Bob E.
post #739 of 2595 Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 PM

Liked: 11
I recently bought this receiver and have been playing with it a bit. I noticed that my surround back L/R seems to be very low like it doesn't even come on. When I did the speaker setup calibration it does seem to notice it. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Since I'm sitting directly below the surround back speakers, I would like it to work a little more.
post #740 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Movies vary widely in the use of surrounds. Many dramas don't use it much and most action movies use it a lot. It may be your material.
post #741 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 AM

Hi all, just got this and set it up with my PS3. Changed PS3 settings to PCM and using direct setting on the 607 after the audessey setup. Is this the setting to caputure the trueHD? Also I was playing dark knight yesterday and noticed in the BR options it has English and then English TrueHD , when I leave the default at english, sounds good, loud and clear. But when I change it to English TrueHD, its much lower and more muted volume, definitely doesnt sound as good. Is it my settings?? Thanks.
post #742 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It should be MultiCh for PCM. Direct bypasses the Audyssey EQ and subwoofer management.
post #743 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM

If the direct listening mode disables Audessy, what should listening mode should I use that uses the the Audessy settings without doing any other unwanted processing?
post #744 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

MultiCh
post #745 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM

My 607 arrived today and I have it all set up. I replaced an older Denon AVR with 5.1 and no HDMI. It's in my dedicated HT with the following equipment:

Panasonic AE3000U Projector
Onkyo TX-SR607 AVR
Panasonic DMP-35k DVD/BD Player
Dish Network 722 DVR Receiver
Speakercraft Sub Amp supporting 6 Bass Shaker Pros in theater seats
Polk RT-10 fronts
Boston Bravo II's sides/center (and will add rears soon)
Velodyne Sub
Harmony One remote

Everything installed nicely and very straight forward. I ran the Audyssey setup and it worked well. I may tweak a bit more, but pretty good start.

Satellite is working flawlessly.

DVD/BD player is having issues. Here's what's happening and the troubleshooting I've done. I'd appreciate any further direction on trying to resolve this very dissatisfying issue.

When watching DVD/BD, the screen gets flashes of white (like TV snow) or sometimes drops the image & reappears. It happens very quickly, like split second flashes at random but frequent times. Sometimes the flash is a bar across the lower 1/4 or 1/3 of the screen. Sometimes the entire screen flashes. Obviously we can't have this.

I have brand new 1.3 HDMI cables from Monoprice running from Dish DVR and DVD/BD player into the Onkyo. Thinking it may be a cable issue, I swapped out the DVD/BD cable for another (new) one. No fix. Then I changed the HDMI input on the Onkyo. No fix. Then I bypassed the Onkyo completely, running the HDMI from the projector directly into the DVD/BD player (my previous setup). That resolved the issue - but obviously isn't the proper or preferred configuration.

So it would seem that the Onkyo is taking issue with the HDMI signal from the DVD/BD player and causing this flicker. I've reviewed the settings for both the Onkyo and the player to make sure it's passing correctly. I think I've checked everything, so now I'm at a loss as to what else I should be checking in either of the devices to resolve the issue. Anyone else seen this or have suggestions on where else to look?

On a another note, I read in the manual that you can press the remote buttons "Receiver" then "Video" to change pass-through options. When I try to do this, the Onkyo displays (not OSD) "Not Available". Even though the manual states that it should bring up the Video menu to select the preferred pass-through or processing behavior.

Thanks for reading and any ideas you may have.

Otherwise, I have so far enjoyed the sound that this provides for the HT. But it's so annoying to watch I haven't really spent too much time getting into it since I'm more focused on resolving this issue.

Thanks again,
-mspguy
post #746 of 2595 Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Liked: 11
has anyone noticed the clicks when the listening mode is being switched? it's weird. sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. i'm wondering if i have a defective unit or not. i noticed that once i get back to "stereo" it starts to click.

the unit also clicks when it changes from the audio coming from my ps3. for example, going from 2 channel to truHD.
post #747 of 2595 Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Still need help with my FM it was working fine yesterday when I tested it but its out again

Quote:

Nothing happens with an outdoor antenna. AM works fine and FM works sometimes with rabbit ears. I also tested the signal by plugging in my coaxial from the cable company that has the FM feed into the 607. Also this 607 is replacing a HTIB that had a radio tuner and the HTIB always worked flawlessly with just the dinky wire that it came with for FM.

The weird thing is that when FM does work on the 607 its cristal clear

If everyone is ignoring my posts can someone at least tell me where to go to get some help?
post #748 of 2595 Old 07-02-2009, 01:07 AM

i have a nivida 8800gt running via dvi to hdmi cable to the first slot on the onk 607 then hdmi to the tv.when i turn the tv off in any way the 8800gt loses the monitor connection with the 607,any suggestions?
post #749 of 2595 Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest26 View Post

has anyone noticed the clicks when the listening mode is being switched? it's weird. sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. i'm wondering if i have a defective unit or not. i noticed that once i get back to "stereo" it starts to click.

the unit also clicks when it changes from the audio coming from my ps3. for example, going from 2 channel to truHD.

Yes, this unit does make a loud clicking sound when switching between listening modes. I was concerned about this, too, when I first heard it, but others have stated this is normal. Since this is my first new receiver in 15 years, I cannot comment on this being the norm amongst new age AVRs or not.

I do have a question about your question, though... you mentioned that once you get back to stereo it "starts to click." Is that one click as it changes listening mode, or is it continually clicking? If it is the latter, I would be concerned.

All in all, it can become rather annoying, and it began to really bug my wife, especially when watching DVR'd shows. I have noticed that many network stations have their local content commercials recorded in a different sound format than the TV program being viewed and the other commercials being shown. Since these local commercials are usually the last in the string before a show resumes they are hard to avoid, and my 607 would always click out to different listening mode, and then click back over to the mode used for the program prior, sometimes missing the first second or two of audio from the program.

What I have done to remedy this situation was to go in and change the default listening mode for all content to Dolby PLIIz (when available), since I have front heights attached. I have determined from trying a few different audio formats that the IIz setting only activates the FH speakers and does not change the signals going to the other speakers when the LM is set to the more "appropriate" mode. Now, no more clicking during commercials, or when switching between devices. I don't know what would be the best setting to use if you don't have FH speakers attached. Anyone?

While this may not be the fix for everyone, it works for me. And as you know, when your wife is happy, then you are happy.

VSP

post #750 of 2595 Old 07-02-2009, 05:40 AM

Acouple of questions regarding the 607:
  • How would one go about hooking up the speakers (on the back of the 607) for 6.1 SS instead of 7.1 or 5.1? I don't have the room shape for 7.1, but 6.1 may seem to work...
  • The speakers I'm looking to purchase (HSU HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker) have an Impedance of 6 ohms nominal; minimum 4 ohms...will the 607 drive these, or will I need to look into another model and/or brand of AVR?

Thank you

***Listing my HT gear in my signature on this board will make me feel like a puny, girlie man. Listen to me now but hear me later***
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page