The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2595 Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have this reciever hdmi 1 hooked to the bd-60 blu ray, the #3 hdmi to the dish and the tv out to the tv.

Can I set something to play the tv with its speakers and the dish without turning the reciever on. Have tryed to fig this out with the manuals. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2595 Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

i have run it. what menu is it in?

Setup / Audio Adjust / Audyssey / Dynamic Volume

post #813 of 2595 Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warrior View Post

Have this reciever hdmi 1 hooked to the bd-60 blu ray, the #3 hdmi to the dish and the tv out to the tv.

Can I set something to play the tv with its speakers and the dish without turning the reciever on. Have tryed to fig this out with the manuals. Thanks.

I assume TV out to the TV is also HDMI?

Have you tried setting:

Setup / Hardware Setup / HDMI / Audio TV Out = On ?

Audio should pass-through.

post #814 of 2595 Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Hey Tesla thanks this got the speakers working but what I ment was can I leave the reciever off and get the dish and tv speakers to work only. And yes the 46 inch g10 is hooked with a hdmi cable.
post #815 of 2595 Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I posted this in the 806 thread (because it's kind of referring to the upcoming 807, but it's really about all current Onkyos), maybe I'll have better luck here:

Do Onkyos allow you to set speaker levels/trim independently per input and/or surround mode?

For example, can I have my sub set at +2 for Input 1/Dolby Digital, at +4 for Input 2/Stereo, and +10 for the analog multi ch. inputs?

Is it possible to change speaker levels 'on-the-fly'? Or do you need to dig through a bunch of menus, and does the TV have to be on to see those menus or will those prompts show on the receivers display?

Thanks!

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #816 of 2595 Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

I have had my TX-SR607 for a little over a month now with no problems. However, when I went to turn on the receiver today, no output video signal was found. I have checked all the cables and even replaced all of them but there is still no video. There is sound, just no video at all.

The cable configuration is as follows: I use a single HDMI out to the TV from the receiver with two HDMI inputs (cable box and PS3) and two component inputs (XBox and Wii). Each one of those units mentioned has sound, but there is no video output from the Onkyo receiver to the TV. When I hook up each unit directly to the TV (bypassing the Onkyo), it works fine which tells me that the problem lies within the receiver itself. I have unplugged and replugged all power to everything but it still does not work.

What could be the problem?
post #817 of 2595 Old 07-23-2009, 03:36 PM

What is the main diffrences between the 607 and the Onkyo HC-160? All I see is really the front HDMI input and it rated at 70 watts instead of 80.
post #818 of 2595 Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM

just ordered the 607 but I have a general question about placement for the receiver. The wood cabinet I'm planning to put it in will only leave about 2-3 inches on each side of the 607.. is this enough for ventilation? or should I be looking at getting a new cabinet? Of course the front facing side is full open. I only ask because I hear these units get pretty hot
post #819 of 2595 Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM

While the unit performs as advertised, still thinking of selling it already and replacing with a upgraded unit. No one thing stands out but the over all experience is less than what I have had with other receivers... oh well...
post #820 of 2595 Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraxt View Post

I have had my TX-SR607 for a little over a month now with no problems. However, when I went to turn on the receiver today, no output video signal was found. I have checked all the cables and even replaced all of them but there is still no video. There is sound, just no video at all.

The cable configuration is as follows: I use a single HDMI out to the TV from the receiver with two HDMI inputs (cable box and PS3) and two component inputs (XBox and Wii). Each one of those units mentioned has sound, but there is no video output from the Onkyo receiver to the TV. When I hook up each unit directly to the TV (bypassing the Onkyo), it works fine which tells me that the problem lies within the receiver itself. I have unplugged and replugged all power to everything but it still does not work.

What could be the problem?

Did you ever figure out what went wrong?
post #821 of 2595 Old 07-25-2009, 04:37 PM

Hello all. I have been enjoying my 607 for a few weeks now, but need some advice about my speaker settings. I have read this thread, and think I have the setup right, but just want to make sure. Here are my factory spec's. for my Polk speakers:
Fronts: 47Hz - 25kHz
Center: 53Hz - 25kHz
Surrounds: 60Hz - 24kHz
LFE: 80Hz - 160Hz

Ran Audyssey and got these settings:
Fronts: full band
Center: full band
Surrounds: 40Hz
LFE: 120Hz

Is this a good setup from Audyssey or is there room for some tweaking? Any advice is welcomed.

Andergar
post #822 of 2595 Old 07-25-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm no expert, but I've heard that setting the crossover to about 20hz higher than your speakers lowest rate is an ok method. The idea being that the filters don't just cut off right at the lowest frequency, its a more gradual drop off...depending on the quality of the filter.

Are you using tower speakers? If you're not, I guess leave that center full band, but if you have a sub/towers, they can usually handle the bass well enough.

Hopefully someone more versed on this can chime in...I'm in a similar situation and wouldn't mind some verification.

Cheers.
post #823 of 2595 Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. My speakers are bookshelf size. Another question, I just thought of. What is a good setting for Dynamic Volume? I have mine set at medium. Any advice on this question, would be appreciated.

Andergar
post #824 of 2595 Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Tesla thanks this got the speakers working but what I ment was can I leave the reciever off and get the dish and tv speakers to work only. And yes the 46 inch g10 is hooked with a hdmi cable.

If you are still asking, I guess it doesn't work with the 607 off. So, it works until you turn the 607 off, right?

Thing is, I think the 607 isn't really off ... I thought if the red power light is on it's just in Standby mode. Seems like it should work. I never use the TV speakers, but I'll try to remember to test it for you when I get a chance.

Be sure to try it with RIHD and VieraLink both off. If it still doesn't work, go ahead and try the other 3 combinations of the 2.

PS. Nice TV. I have a 46" Panny 850.

post #825 of 2595 Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andergar View Post

Thanks for the advice. My speakers are bookshelf size. Another question, I just thought of. What is a good setting for Dynamic Volume? I have mine set at medium. Any advice on this question, would be appreciated.

Andergar

I have fairly large L/R bookshelves also (JBL). It seemed to think they should now be Full Band also. Its kinda nice with the extra bass coming from the front (by sub is behind me). I'll try it like this for a while and can always manually tweak it later. Might not want Full Band if you tend to turn it up to 75 a lot.

I'm using Medium Dynamic Volume. We watch a lot of DVR, so this is a killer feature.

post #826 of 2595 Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 AM

Hello,

I have a problem which sounds similar to one posted earlier in this thread but I didn't see any answers to it.

I have just got the SR607 and have tried to hook it up. My set-up:

TV: Panasonic TX-P50G10B
Bluray: Panasonic DMP-BD80EB-K

(all over HDMI, obviously!)

If I connect the BD player directly to the TV it displays and plays fine.

If I connect the BD player to the amp, and the amp to the TV, it doesn't play well at all. It seems as though the TV cannot find a picture, flashing between a black screen and white noise.

My AppleTV, also connected over HDMI to the amp, does play back fine and shows a picture as expected.

I've tried swapping cables around, so that isn't the issue.

I can get BD sound out of the amp just fine, it's just the picture that doesn't seem to work.

Anyone any ideas?
post #827 of 2595 Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 AM

To answer my own question, and for anyone else seeing anything similar, it seems as this is a known issue with the amp.

Shame I didn't find that until after buying the amp. So it's going back to the store for a refund and I'll be replacing it with the Denon AVR-1910.

Well I was going to post the URL to show where it's stated that it's a known issue but it seems I'm not allowed to post URLs. So, sorry, can't provide the source of the info.
post #828 of 2595 Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootlewurdle View Post

To answer my own question, and for anyone else seeing anything similar, it seems as this is a known issue with the amp.

Shame I didn't find that until after buying the amp. So it's going back to the store for a refund and I'll be replacing it with the Denon AVR-1910.

Well I was going to post the URL to show where it's stated that it's a known issue but it seems I'm not allowed to post URLs. So, sorry, can't provide the source of the info.

Please post the URL as plain text.

Since I will have a very similar setup after I get my Panny BD , I'm interested to see what you are talking about.

post #829 of 2595 Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM

(this may be a repost as I posted this already but it didn't show up)

Well I'm not entirely happy about circumventing forum rules, but here you go:

www (dot) whathifi (dot) com/News/UPDATED-Onkyo-investigating-HDMI-compatibility-issue-with-2009-Panasonic-TVs/

They seem to suggest there it's an issue with the TV and amp. I'm not convinced by that at all as my AppleTV plays fine through the amp. I'd therefore suspect it's a more general Panasonic/Onkyo issue.
post #830 of 2595 Old 07-30-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(this may be a repost as I posted this already but it didn't show up)

Well I'm not entirely happy about circumventing forum rules, but here you go:

www (dot) whathifi (dot) com/News/UPDATED-Onkyo-investigating-HDMI-compatibility-issue-with-2009-Panasonic-TVs/

They seem to suggest there it's an issue with the TV and amp. I'm not convinced by that at all as my AppleTV plays fine through the amp. I'd therefore suspect it's a more general Panasonic/Onkyo issue.

Not sure what your posting problem is, but thanks for the link and info ZW .

http://www.whathifi.com/News/UPDATED...Panasonic-TVs/

post #831 of 2595 Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Hey guys, I know that people mostly post when things go wrong or if there is a problem. It is very un-internet of me to do this but...

...just to let ya'll know

Regarding the HDMI 1080p/24hz handshake issue though the 607 when connected to a V10 Series Panasonic.

I had heard vague rumblings though frantic google searching that Panasonic had released a firmware update that fixes HDMI issues(on some thread in the UK. Didn't specify what issues or anything else)

On this "news", I ordered my 54" V10. (Named my own price at 6ave, got it for a steal)

Anyway, long story short. Hooked up the TV, connected it to the internet, trying to go to Vieracast the first time initiated an automatic software update. Once that completed, tried a Bluray with my PS3.

PS3 set to output 1080p/24 for bluray playback. I have had absolutely no issues so far. Have tried 3 different Bluray discs.

I have confirmed I was indeed getting a 1080p/24 signal all the way to the TV, as the option to select between 48hz,60hz,or 96hz is available (and would not be otherwise).

Even came back the next day after everything has been on/off, on different inputs, etc. then wanted to watch a Bluray, set it up, play, no problems...

So, again, 1080p/24 signal through the 607 to a Panasonic V10 works.

The Dissapointed, Impatient Fan
post #832 of 2595 Old 07-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Not sure what your posting problem is, but thanks for the link and info ZW.

Forum rules are you have to have at least 3 posts before you can embed links. I couldn't find the rule in the FAQ so I could link to it, but I remember seeing a message about it when I was that new (maybe when I tried to click on the link button when drafting a message?).

zootlewurdle, if you go back and edit your unlinked post, now that you have the required postcount, you'll find that you can embed the link. Kinda funny, I know, but rules is rules!

Speaking of funny, for a good laugh, go to the Post Testing Area in the AVS Forum Information, you will see lots of newbies trying to up their post count so they can embed links... thing is, posts there don't count!

I know, I know, I shouldn't laugh at others, but you gotta admit it is pretty funny when they have a sticky at the top of the forum that clearly states "Posts D O N' T Count Here!"

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #833 of 2595 Old 07-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Just a followup on my lag issues. My original reading isn't 100% repeatable. It was 20ms, but after a retest, it came out in the 60s. The receiver is adding a 20 ms delay. Also, there is a direct mode for audio that also seems to shave time.
post #834 of 2595 Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Hi Guys, I just rec'd my 607 tonight. I'm running into some problem and hope someone can help me out here pleeassee.

I have a comcast cable box which connect to the AV using "Component Video IN 2" and audio connects to audio L/R in, and AV HDMI out to TV. I believe this is the correct way? So I went to assign the component and I believe the menu said if I'm using HDMI out, I'll leave CBL/SAT - IN2 to -----:? Well, that didn't work, so I assigned the CBL/SAT input selector to IN2, that didn't work neither because when I select CBL/SAt on the AV nothing comes out. I'm so lost, did I screw up on assigning the input?

I have PS3 and it plays perfectly.
post #835 of 2595 Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling420 View Post

Regarding the HDMI 1080p/24hz handshake issue though the 607 when connected to a V10 Series Panasonic.

[snip]

Anyway, long story short. Hooked up the TV, connected it to the internet, trying to go to Vieracast the first time initiated an automatic software update. Once that completed, tried a Bluray with my PS3.

PS3 set to output 1080p/24 for bluray playback. I have had absolutely no issues so far. Have tried 3 different Bluray discs.

My firmware is up-to-date. I wonder though if the issue is communication between my Pana DMP-BD80EB-K and the 607. Other info I've seen suggests its an amp/TV problem.

Sad to say I'm in the process of replacing the amp. Mainly because I don't want to risk being stuck with something that doesn't play nice with my other hardware while I'm still in a window of opportunity to the amp replaced without a financial hit.

Onkyo got back to me to tell me more information about my issue would be available mid-August.

But, as a final word, it does seem like a good amp so I wouldn't want to put anyone off them
post #836 of 2595 Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Tesla's right about going to setup/ go to hardware press enter then go to hdmi press enter and turn on tv audio out.

This gets the sound going but you also need to go down and turn on the hdmc rihd, this will turn on the 2 greyed out power control and tv controls just below this and there you go sound and picture with the receiver in standby mode.
post #837 of 2595 Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Is there a Video menu on the 607 .. like the Reon one on the 875/6 ?
post #838 of 2595 Old 08-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Hi Folks,

I've had the 607 a couple months now, using it just for 5.1. Just yesterday I hooked up a couple extra speakers (all Aperion, and love them!), and now have the 7.1 set-up going.

We watched the BluRay of The Mummy yesterday and it was just fantastic. The height channels were not obvious through most of the movie, it just seemed to add a fuller sound... but there were a few scenes where they obviously kicked in with some decoded sounds that really worked, stuff coming down from the sky sounded great.... I was pleasantly surprised after reading a mix of reviews.

Anyway, I was wondering if any recommendations for movies that might really demonstrate the height channels -- any favorites out there??

Thanks.
post #839 of 2595 Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:

My firmware is up-to-date. I wonder though if the issue is communication between my Pana DMP-BD80EB-K and the 607. Other info I've seen suggests its an amp/TV problem.

Sad to say I'm in the process of replacing the amp. Mainly because I don't want to risk being stuck with something that doesn't play nice with my other hardware while I'm still in a window of opportunity to the amp replaced without a financial hit.

Onkyo got back to me to tell me more information about my issue would be available mid-August.

But, as a final word, it does seem like a good amp so I wouldn't want to put anyone off them

See if maybe you can get a firmware update for that bluray player.

Try here:

http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...nt/Blu-Ray.asp

They have one for the BD80 and it is version 1.5. Don't know if the rest of your model number just refers to color or some such, but you could give it a try, although if there was indeed a "plain" BD80 you may brick yours with this firmware.

Also, when I got my TV last week, I also got fresh HDMI cables for everything from monoprice that were certified 1.3a blah blah blah. I recommend this to everyone, over using any that came with anything. It's not like it costs a bunch, I got 3 6 foot HDMI of their highest grade for $40 total shipped.

I am also referring specifically to just the Panasonic TC-P54V10(and I assume other V10s), other brands/models may still have issues.

Either way, I do want to hear what they say in mid-August anyway to see if they will be releasing a firmware update for the 607. Hopefully we can just flash it ourselves somehow through unofficial methods so we don't have to send it to New Jersey for three weeks.

The Dissapointed, Impatient Fan
post #840 of 2595 Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling420 View Post

I am also referring specifically to just the Panasonic TC-P54V10(and I assume other V10s), other brands/models may still have issues.

I mentioned a similar issue earlier on this thread (post #745). The difference is I have a Panny AE-3000U projector and a Panny BD35K Blu Ray player.

I thought the problem "went away" shortly after my post, but it has reappeared in the last couple of days. Most recently with a standard rental DVD of the Watchmen.

I'll have to check to see if I can do firmware upgrades on the projector, not sure. Also, I don't have internet access in the theater room so trying to figure out an easy way to update the BD Player and Onkyo firmware without unhooking everything. That would be a royal PITA.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page