Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2595 Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesonosu View Post

I've decided to take a risk and go back to school for my Masters Degree in teaching. Fun.....I hope.

Good luck to you! While I never worked on commission, I had my fair share of retail... not something I miss. Congrats to you on taking this big step... more education, more opportunity. That what my Dad says. Oh, and he is a teacher, too (retired).

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2595 Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

329 is the lowest price I've heard for the 607, but I would be a little wary about "Videogon". Not having gone to the site, and unless somebody else knows something about them, I don't believe they are an authorized dealer.

This made me laugh. Videogon isn't a dealer -- it's a listing site. Like ebay, authorized dealers can list there, and if you buy from one, the warranty is still valid.
post #903 of 2595 Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

This made me laugh. Videogon isn't a dealer -- it's a listing site. Like ebay, authorized dealers can list there, and if you buy from one, the warranty is still valid.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing somebody post about it a while back. Should have gone to the site before opening my big mouth.

Carry on.

[digress]

post #904 of 2595 Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys, I also posted this in the Energy thread but was hoping someone here could help maybe.

I recently got the Energy Take Classic and Onkyo 607 receiver. I am having an issue with either the sub or amp distorting/clipping. Not sure if I should post this in the 607 thread or if it's a sub problem. It seems to mainly happen during certain scenes. Like in Transformers when they first show the helicopter decepticon fying in the bass sound from the propellers breaks up.

I have the the esw-8 sub at half volume and the low pass filter around 110. The 607 crossover frequency is set at 100hz but I heard it at 120hz also. Any help appreciated.
post #905 of 2595 Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Re-run Audyssey set up with the sub volume at between 1/3 and 1/2, the sub cross over set to its maximum. Before you do, read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895
post #906 of 2595 Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Re-run Audyssey set up with the sub volume at between 1/3 and 1/2, the sub cross over set to its maximum. Before you do, read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Thanks Ski, I will try that. I actually didn't even run Audyssey yet. I just manually configured everything. I can still change the settings after if I'm not pleased with some of the Audyssey settings, right?
post #907 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 AM

At least run Audyssey once. I have been very pleased with its sound and setup.
post #908 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Thanks Ski, I will try that. I actually didn't even run Audyssey yet. I just manually configured everything. I can still change the settings after if I'm not pleased with some of the Audyssey settings, right?

Of course. The most popular change is to bump the center a couple of db.
post #909 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Hi....new to this board and need some advice. I'm not an audiophile at all, but I am looking to purchase a new audio "system" for my new home.

I bought a new home that is currently under construction (won't be ready until Nov/Dec 2009). I purchased the builder's upgrade audio package that includes pre-wiring for 7.1 speakers (in ceiling) plus installation of two outdoor speakers in the backyard.

There are so many choices out there, but the Onkyo TX-SR607 seems like a great deal for what you get for the cost.

1. I have a budget of $500 for a receiver. Does the SR607 give me the biggest bang for my buck? If not, what are some other options I should look at?

2. Since I have the outdoor speakers, can the SR607 handle a 2nd zone?

3. Since my new home is pre-wired for in-ceiling speakers, what are my best options? This is an area I am completely lost. Do I get different speakers for front, mid and rear? What about the sub(s)? Should I get two since the SR607 supports two subs? Realistically, what kind of budget should I plan for? I don't need high-high end, but I also don't want to limit the capabilities of the receiver.

Thanks for your help!
post #910 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclement View Post

Spoke to 6thave.com yesterday. They should receive 148 pieces this week. Hopefully, all of the back orders will be filled shortly. I ordred mine on May 19, 2009. The website at the time said that there was a 21 bussiness day delay. I am now on bussiness day 55!

Finally. I got the 607 yesterday. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out of the box yet. This will be a weekend project. Hopefully, everyone else has gotten their's from 6thave.com.
post #911 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Just had my 607 overheat(I guess) last night. All of a sudden it was giving me no video at all from the HDMI. So, I turned it completely off(yanked the power), opened the cabinet door, and the top of the unit was hot to touch. I put a box fan in front of it and let that blow through the cabinet for about 5 minutes on high(the cabinet is vented, but I guess not enough for this thing.) I then turned it back on and everything was back(left the box fan there on low for the rest of the night). Now, I have had the thing for weeks now, and it has never done this. It also has never been this hot outside while I have had it, and the A/C in my house is having trouble keeping up so I guess it was about 82 degrees in the room.

I have ordered a "single component" fan kit from coolerguys.com which people have used with the 806 with great success.

I am hoping this was indeed just a heat issue and not something going bad on the unit.

The Dissapointed, Impatient Fan
post #912 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Does anyone know how different is the 1080i upconversion in 607compared to the 807 which upconverts to 1080p
thanks,
dvd
post #913 of 2595 Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Of course. The most popular change is to bump the center a couple of db.

I ran the Audyssey and still have the issue. The Audyssey settings were too low for my taste also. They changed my settings to:

Front and Center to 70hz -3db, Surr to 70hz -4db and Sub to 120hz -3db

I left the settings alone and re-watched Transformers and still have that distortion sound during the opening hellicopter scene. It wasn't as bad but as soon as I turned up the sub it got a little worse. I think it might be the sub because it almost sounds like a vibration in the cabinet. It only happens on certain scenes, especially that one in Transformers. I put in Watchmen and didn't notice any issues with that movie.
post #914 of 2595 Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Hi,

I just pulled the trigger and purchased the Onkyo TX-SR607. I am switching from a Yamaha RX-V595 that I purchased about 10 years ago. I currently run 2 Paradigm Titans in the front, 2 Paradigm Atoms in the back, and a Paradigm center channel. I don't know which version they are, but they are also more than 10 years old.

Besides the routing upgrades using HDMI from the Bluray player and the option of going to 7.1, what other upgrades will I notice? Will there be a noticeable upgrade in sound quality and movie viewing/listening experience?

I was going to purchase the Yamaha RX-V765, but couldn't justify spending that much. And there seems to be more negatives than positives on the V665. So I decided on the Onkyo TX-SR607. I just don't want any buyer's remorse since Yamaha has been solid for me for years.

Thanks for your input!
post #915 of 2595 Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The improvements in sound quality will be more from the Audyssey set up and EQ more than anything else, plus the ability to have the HD lossless audio. I went from a Yamaha RX-V650 to an Onkyo 606 and found movie dialog much improved.
post #916 of 2595 Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM

I was like you. I only replaced my receiver because my old speakers were very good. After the upgrade, my speakers sounded better than new! It took away some of the tinny sound.

The extra bandwidth used in the Blu-Ray movies and HD-DVD movies sound a lot smother than old optical input Dolby 5.1 to me.

Just remember to get the extra bandwidth that you need to hook up everything with the HDMI.
post #917 of 2595 Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks! I look forward to set this up!
post #918 of 2595 Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvn View Post

I searched this whole thread here at avs and found only two posts mentioning gaming audio lag. Both were posted by the same person, and using an xbox 360 with rock band. I don't know if he was using hdmi audio or analog audio, and what video he was using etc.

I'd like to know if this is a real across the board issue for gaming consoles or just a hybrid analog connection xbox360 issue, or analog consoles in general. Hopefully my all hdmi ps3 won't have any problem.

I'm definitely experiencing some lag in my Rock Band 2 on my PS3. This is decoding audio entirely from HDMI and passing HDMI video on to the TV. I'm not sure where the lag is occurring (decoding the audio or passing on the video) but it's definitely new since I added the receiver.

I haven't played around with it too much since I haven't been playing Rock Band a lot lately but I've started trying to get into it a bit more to get ready for the Beatles game that is coming out and it's starting to annoy me. I don't have the RB2 guitar that does the auto-calibration though so I'm stuck trying to guess at it and being unhappy with any calibration settings I try to add.

If anyone has some suggestions on reducing the lag, I'd appreciate the info.
post #919 of 2595 Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Just purchased the 607 today from Video Only. Price was just a little over some of the great internet specials that seem to only last a day.

They had the 707 there, and had just put it out infact. But I couldn't justify spending around $250 more for a tad better auto-correction system, and 10 watts "more" power.

Will probably be hooking it up after my new SVS SBS-01s come in. Within the next week or so. Would there be any impactful sound quality gain between the 607 and 707 with these speakers? Room size is only 9x12x8.

Anyone else having audio lag from gaming consoles? This is going to be one of my primary uses.
post #920 of 2595 Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 AM

I've had my Onkyo 607 for a while now, and I mostly love it. However, one thing I've never been able to figure out is... is there anyway to disable those *awful* blue screens when a source is turned off? It's evil to plasmas, and even on my current LCD it is a pain because it is both searingly bright and prevents my LCD for going to sleep.
post #921 of 2595 Old 08-15-2009, 05:32 PM

I have my 360 set to output Dolby Digital 5.1ch. The receiver sometimes won't switch to it. It says "PCM" on the front display. So I have to go into my XBOX menus, and switch the DD 5.1 option off and back on. Then the receiver finally recognizes the audio. Is there something I am overlooking?
post #922 of 2595 Old 08-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love my 607 but yesterday I encountered a huge problem. I have my Wii connected via component cable and yesterday I fired up my Wii and got no video, I got audio. I switched the cables to the other component input and again audio and no video. Okay! So it must be the cables, right? Unfortunately when I plugged the cable directly into my tv I got video as well as audio. I tried my 360 via component cables and got the same results. I also now do not get video when I hit the menu button I have to use the screen on the receiver itself. I guess I am going to have to get it serviced. First time having an issue with an Onkyo product.

UPDATE I just called and they suggested I do a reset which I did and it solved my problem. Now I need to reset all my settings but I could care less I am just glad I don't have to get it repaired.
post #923 of 2595 Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Hi all, I've got a problem with my HTPC and the 607, I just received my 607 a couple of weeks ago and I've been setting it up but I've got a problem with my HTPC. It doesn't seem to want to display. Right now it's connected via an HDMI/DVI cable to the 607 and the vid card is a Nvidia 7800gt, the 607 keeps blinking HDMI when I select that input.. any ideas?

thanks!
post #924 of 2595 Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krout View Post

Does anyone know if this receiver compensates for the -10db LFE on multi-channel PCM tracks (DTS-MA, TRUEHD, Uncompressed-PCM, etc.). I've been reading that this is an issue when passing multi-channel tracks from the PS3; that there is -10db on the LFE track that normally the receiver would boost if passing the multi-tracks over bistream.

I am interested in this too cos when I tried watching Watchmen BluRay via my HTPC (running vista, ATI 4650 & PDVD 9) I had non existent LFE! Correct drivers & everything but jus no bass! Funny thing is bass in XP is ok! oh I am using a SR607.

I wonder if this receiver compensates for the -10db LFE on multi-channel PCM tracks (DTS-MA, TRUEHD, Uncompressed-PCM, etc.)??????
post #925 of 2595 Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 AM

Does the Onkyo TX-SR607 allow an HDMI audio and video signal to pass through to the TV with the AVR in Standby mode?

My dad is looking for an inexpensive AVR but with only a cable box and a DVD as his 2 sources, he would like the option of being able to watch/listen to the TV without the AVR turned on even though the HDMI cables will go through the AVR.

I know its an odd request, and maybe no AVR on the planet can do this, but I have his choices narrowed down to the 607 or Yammy 665.

If there are any AVR's that can do this, please post it.
post #926 of 2595 Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

I know its an odd request, and maybe no AVR on the planet can do this, but I have his choices narrowed down to the 607 or Yammy 665.

Given that the 607 consumes around 80w of power even in standby mode, it's a dammed fine question!

You'd like to think it was able to perform something really useful, but as far as I know it can't do what your dad requires

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #927 of 2595 Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Given that the 607 consumes around 80w of power even in standby mode, it's a dammed fine question!

You'd like to think it was able to perform something really useful, but as far as I know it can't do what your dad requires

Thanks, do you know of any AVR that is capable?

Wow, 80 watts, that ought to be enough power to just pass the signal through.
post #928 of 2595 Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Does the Onkyo TX-SR607 allow an HDMI audio and video signal to pass through to the TV with the AVR in Standby mode?

My dad is looking for an inexpensive AVR but with only a cable box and a DVD as his 2 sources, he would like the option of being able to watch/listen to the TV without the AVR turned on even though the HDMI cables will go through the AVR.

Please check out the top of page 28 and my post close to the bottom of that page for a solution. Please note I hooked up a dish through the hdmi cable port 3 and not cable but I would think it would be the same.
post #929 of 2595 Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warrior View Post

Please check out the top of page 28 and my post close to the bottom of that page for a solution.

For those of us who have changed the number of posts per page, here is the link to Warrior's post.

As for me, I always use the 607 for audio when viewing TV, as the volume control is much more fine than my Sony TV (which goes from "what'd he say?" to "I want the neighbors to know what we're watching" in one step).

post #930 of 2595 Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the 606 can do it, I'm sure the 607 can. There are a couple of setting for HDMI control and TV audio that have to be on.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page