The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2595 Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to press the 'buy' button after I read in the spec's at Amazon, that the 607 will play "SACD and DVD Audio" thru HDMI. It was in the spec's on HDMI 1.3a. Anyone know? pls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2595 Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoke View Post

I'm wondering if anyone has experience this... I've had my 607 almost exactly 1 month. After installation and setup I was thrilled with sound quality, but I believe I've developed a problem with a surround channel. The right rear surround speaker has a high level of "white noise" and any sound is muffled and distorted. I've switched speakers from side to side - problem stays on the right side. I switched speaker wiring on back of amp left to right and the problem goes to the left side. Sound like an internal problem or should I try something else? Thanks!

Sounds like you've been going at it the right way.

Persists with different speakers and with different wires tells me it's the receiver itself. Whether thats the connection point or something internal, i don't know.

The last thing I can think of would be the connection point, as I said. Can you get a good look at it? If nothing seems off, looks like you'll need to return it or look into service.
post #993 of 2595 Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 735
I've been trying to find an affordable AVR to get for my father. He has a 7.1 receiver but it is pre-HDMI and would like to upgrade. Pretty much everything out there in the price range seem limited on functionality and I am want it to be very flexible (ie. assignable inputs, and the like...). This was the best pick. I've plodded my way through this thread and have read isolated instances of varying problems. Not sure how many units go bad within a month or so and would like to avoid that kind of stuff.

Would it be a good idea to pick this up for my dad anyway?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #994 of 2595 Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I've been trying to find an affordable AVR to get for my father. He has a 7.1 receiver but it is pre-HDMI and would like to upgrade. Pretty much everything out there in the price range seem limited on functionality and I am want it to be very flexible (ie. assignable inputs, and the like...). This was the best pick. I've plodded my way through this thread and have read isolated instances of varying problems. Not sure how many units go bad within a month or so and would like to avoid that kind of stuff.

Would it be a good idea to pick this up for my dad anyway?

If "This was the best pick" is true why not take a chance?
You have my personal guarantee that this receiver will most likely not have any problems. I have one on the way from Newegg, one day more before it arrives.
post #995 of 2595 Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor 68 View Post

I am about to press the 'buy' button after I read in the spec's at Amazon, that the 607 will play "SACD and DVD Audio" thru HDMI. It was in the spec's on HDMI 1.3a. Anyone know? pls

Yes it can...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #996 of 2595 Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Yes it can...

Thanks much.
post #997 of 2595 Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM

I'm getting mine today. In finger tapping mode right now waiting for it.
It's a lot of money just to get lossless audio, as my present receiver is quite nice but doesn't have that particular feature. Hope it's worth it and the 607 shines....
post #998 of 2595 Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM

Anyone connecting a home theater PC to their 607? It behaves like a dream for me on all other sources until I connect an HTPC and then all hell breaks loose. My set up:

* Sharp LC-42D64U
* ASRock ION 330 (this is the new Nvidia Ion and Intel Atom chipset with HDMI out)
* Onkyo 607

Everything is connected through HDMI. Problems:

* Screen resolution is all weird. I choose the native resolution (a 1080p one) and then have to go into the NVidia control panel and make the screen much smaller because it's outputting something too big. Even after that, none of the text is sharp. It just looks like crap.

* Clicking, clicking, clicking. When I bounce around between windows, the sound format must change because there is random clicking. This is really annoying.

Any ideas? I love how each component works great by itself but does not want to cooperate a team to bring me that sweet, sweet picture and sound.
post #999 of 2595 Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM

This is quite the thread, and it's hard to find everything. So sorry if this has been asked/answered before. I'm watching X-Men3 on Dvd now, and I'm messing around with the settings to get the best sound experience. I'm using a Samsung BD-4600 to play the DVD, and obviously the Onkyo 607 as a receiver. Basically, when I choose Dolby digital Ex 5.1, I don't get the corresponding option as a listening mode on my receiver, and the same with DTS, apart from DTS surround sens.

Now. I can choose from DTS (6.1) or Dolby Digital EX (5.1). My current setup is 5.1, and I'm not sure how I can get the best audio track. When I select DTS as the sound option on the DVD and choose "DTS Surround sens" on the receiver, I seem to be getting a good feed. But is this the best solution? I mean, from what I can read about the "DTS Surround sens" in the manual, it seems like this is a mode to upmix a stereosignal. Obviously I want the correctly encoded, but there is no pure setting for just DTS.

When I try Dolby Digital EX (5.1) as an option on the DVD, I can't seem to find the corresponding setting on my receiver. When I choose "direct", my subwoofer seems to go very passive for some reason.

So since I can't seem to find any directly corresponding listening modes, any ideas to what settings I should go for?
post #1000 of 2595 Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hank, select the DTS track on your DVD player. Then while the movie is playing, press the Receiver button on your remote, then press the Display button one or more times until it displays the signal format. If you're not sure which one that is, cycle through all three displays and report what each one says. It sounds like you're only receiving stereo from your DVD player.
post #1001 of 2595 Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Hank, select the DTS track on your DVD player. Then while the movie is playing, press the Receiver button on your remote, then press the Display button one or more times until it displays the signal format. If you're not sure which one that is, cycle through all three displays and report what each one says. It sounds like you're only receiving stereo from your DVD player.

Cheers. Turns out after some research that if I changed the output signal from the BD-4600 BluRay from PCM to Bitstream (reencode), the receiver wanted to play ball right away. Is this a good solution, or do I want to figure out a way to stream it as PCM still?
post #1002 of 2595 Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankMarducas View Post

Cheers. Turns out after some research that if I changed the output signal from the BD-4600 BluRay from PCM to Bitstream (reencode), the receiver wanted to play ball right away. Is this a good solution, or do I want to figure out a way to stream it as PCM still?

You want bitstream. Sounds like you're on the right track now.
post #1003 of 2595 Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:

You want bitstream. Sounds like you're on the right track now.

Cool. Now, do you know whether I should go for Bitstream (Re-encode) or Bitstream (Audiophile)?
post #1004 of 2595 Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hello all, I really hope someone can advise on this as Im tearing my hair out!

I have recently got an Onkyo 607 as an upgrade to a faulty 606 (which I loved).

Having rund Audyssey 2EQ several times, I find myselkf in a quandry about Dynamic EQ.

When Dynamic EQ is set to on, there is much more general ambience-greater use of the surrounds, more bass and certainly a greater sense of realism from action films especially. However, dialogue from the centre speaker is coming out, well Im not sure how to describe it. It's not muffled, rather it seems to lack some clarity and crispness. This goes away when I turn off Dynamic EQ, buit there is a noticeable decrease in surround sound.

My centre speaker is a Morduant Short 905 C

Can anyone advise or offer similar stories and/or a workaround?

With sincere thanks,

James
post #1005 of 2595 Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankMarducas View Post

Cool. Now, do you know whether I should go for Bitstream (Re-encode) or Bitstream (Audiophile)?

Bitstream (audiophile).
post #1006 of 2595 Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Just starting hooking my 607 today...I have a few questions....
Setup is 1 HDMI cable from tv to receiver

Out from receiver is:
PS3
X-Box 360
Phillips dvd player with usb to play divx (avi files)
DTV HD receiver

Question 1: Problem hooking up my Wii ...Is there a way to hook this up through receiver through Component hookup?? ..I know all other connections are HDMI

Question2: Have DTV with no local channels..I have a little HD antenna that gets me the local channels normally...but when I switch the input of my TV LG 60PS60 to TV input I get no sound from receiver...Will an optical cable work to get sound through receiver??? If yes where do I plug it into receiver

Thanks
post #1007 of 2595 Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmack View Post

Fixed!

Thanks for helping me think this through -- sometimes you just have to put things out there and then keep working through the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Morris View Post

OK, so what did you do to fix it?

I've got a new V10 and a DMP-BD30 hooked to an 805 that produces no picture. My HD-DVD player works just fine and the same setup worked with my just replaced 58PZ750U.

Here's what I did: first I hooked my BD player up directly to the television so that I could get a picture from the BD player. I knew this would work, because I had been using a direct connection before purchasing the 607. Then I went into the setup menu and checked my settings -- I figured there was probably a way to tweak things to get it to work.

I found my answers in the "TV / Device Connection" submenu. There I selected the next submenu "HDMI Connection." I then discovered that my "HDMI Audio Output" was set to "Off." I switched it to "On." (I had been using the optical out before buying the 607.) --- This fixed the issue of having no audio. (So I'm stupid, what can I say?)

In "HDMI Connection" sub-submenu, I also switched my "HDMI Video Mode" to "Off." This had the effect of outputting the video over the HDMI cable at whatever resolution was selected for "Component Video Resolution" (one of the other settings found in the "TV / Device Connection" submenu). Once I set the "Component Video Resolution" to "1080i" (my television's maximum resolution), I was fine -- this fixed the problem of having no video.

Further tinkering led me to discover that I could fix the video issue by simply keeping the "HDMI Video Mode" set to "On," AND manually setting the "HDMI Resolution" to "1080i" (the default setting for "HDMI Resolution" was "Auto" (this setting is also in the sub-submenu entitled "HDMI Connection)).

After I had made these changes, when I ran the HDMI cable from the BD player to the receiver and the HDMI>DVI cable from the receiver to the TV, I had no more trouble -- great picture, great sound.

As I see it, my video issue was caused by the BD player trying to send a 1080p signal over the HDMI cable to the receiver (and then on to the TV, which was not capable of displaying 1080p). My guess is that when I was hooked up directly to the television, the BD player was able to recognize the maximum capability of the TV, and so it automatically selected 1080i. But when I interposed the receiver, the BD player could not properly detect the TV's resolution. I'm no expert, but that's my guess.

Good luck, T Morris. I hope this helps.
post #1008 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychris123 View Post

Out from receiver is:
PS3
X-Box 360
DTV HD receiver

Question 1: Problem hooking up my Wii ...Is there a way to hook this up through receiver through Component hookup?? ..I know all other connections are HDMI

Question2: Have DTV with no local channels..I have a little HD antenna that gets me the local channels normally...but when I switch the input of my TV LG 60PS60 to TV input I get no sound from receiver...Will an optical cable work to get sound through receiver??? If yes where do I plug it into receiver

Thanks

Hi. I have my Wii connected using the component input on the 607. Works fine and the 607 upscales the video for my 1080p set.
post #1009 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

I think the reason it wasn't that hot is because it wasn't doing anything. My 607 is fine if it's left on and not doing anything, but the minute it has to do something and pump out the sound, it becomes a radiator that is almost too hot to touch on top(not quite as bad as my 705 tho).

I see several people asking about the heat on the 607 still. Chuck's post pretty well sums up my experience as well. If it is on and doing it's thing the top is nearly too hot to place my palm on. It runs hotter than the DirecTV HD DVR. There is no ventilation in my cabinet and it leaves me wondering if I should do something about that. I think one night after the kiddies are asleep I may pull it out the front and it let run for awhile and see if it is cooler when exposed. At a guess I'm thinking it won't make much difference and so ventilation won't help (which should also mean it is unnecessary). Anyone got it set up this way or tried this experiment?
post #1010 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Hi. I have my Wii connected using the component input on the 607. Works fine and the 607 upscales the video for my 1080p set.

Can you tell me how to do this please?....I have all my other connections hooked up with HDMI..I have the Component hook up for the wii...Can't get it to work....Do I have to have Component cables out to tv as well with the 1 HDMI cable?...Very confused....Not sure how to do it

Thanks
post #1011 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Can you tell me how to do this please?....I have all my other connections hooked up with HDMI..I have the Component hook up for the wii...Can't get it to work....Do I have to have Component cables out to tv as well with the 1 HDMI cable?...Very confused....Not sure how to do it

Thanks

I have the Wii component adapter cable which has the 3 video plugs and 2 audio plugs. I plugged the video into Component 1 and the audio in to the Game plugs (based on memory). Then I went into the setup menu and told it Game was Composite 1. It seemed to "guess" the audio in ports so I didn't set anything up for those. Note that if you want upscaling you need to go into the HDMI input menu section and for the Game input make sure it is set to "---". This seems to be a rule - for any inputs you need to assign to something other than HDMI you need to go into the HDMI menu and de-assign them to have things work well.

I have nothing connected to my TV directly other than the single HDMI out cable from the Onkyo.

On the Wii, there is a setting regarding video output. If it still doesn't work for you be sure your Wii is set for 480p or HD or whatever setting in the Wii indicates higher def output.
post #1012 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Bitstream (audiophile).

My understanding is that as long as the BR player can correctly process the signal type (TrueHD, DTS, MA, etc) - that it doesn't really matter. You'd get the same sound either way. The difference being seeing the correct logo on your reciever (bitstreamed) or having it just say PCM or whatever.

Quote:

Out from receiver is:
PS3
X-Box 360
DTV HD receiver

Thanks

The easy way? Pay DTV the $5 for local channels. Alternatively, you'd have to run the cable from the HD antenna to your reciever to get the audio. Or, if your TV outputs 5.1 you'd have to run a cable from it's digital out to the reciever.
post #1013 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Are folks finding the Cinema Filter option useful? I haven't had a lot of time to experiment and am unsure about it myself (this is the feature that claims to correct tonal balance between movie theater and home).
post #1014 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post

Hello all, I really hope someone can advise on this as Im tearing my hair out!

I have recently got an Onkyo 607 as an upgrade to a faulty 606 (which I loved).

Having rund Audyssey 2EQ several times, I find myselkf in a quandry about Dynamic EQ.

When Dynamic EQ is set to on, there is much more general ambience-greater use of the surrounds, more bass and certainly a greater sense of realism from action films especially. However, dialogue from the centre speaker is coming out, well Im not sure how to describe it. It's not muffled, rather it seems to lack some clarity and crispness. This goes away when I turn off Dynamic EQ, buit there is a noticeable decrease in surround sound.

My centre speaker is a Morduant Short 905 C

Can anyone advise or offer similar stories and/or a workaround?

With sincere thanks,

James

Go into the speaker set up menu and bump the center channel level up a couple of db.
post #1015 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Hey everybody... I've got a technical question here I hope someone can answer. I currently have a Yamaha 5740 that is rated 6.1-Channel, 600W (100W x6) all driven. I am interested in the TX-SR607 and I'm confused by the verbage Onkyo is using in the specs.

The SR607 says it is 90W with 2 channels driven. Can someone explain this. I'm assuming I would only be loosing 10amps per channel going to the Onkyo but gaining all the HDMI video capability that I don't have with the Yamaha. Thanks in advance

Dave N
Joppa, Maryland
post #1016 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM

First post!

I just got a new 52" Sony LCD, and the Onkyo 607 will follow soon.

Right now I'm trying to decide on which speakers to get. I live in Saudi Arabia, and the shop where I'm getting the receiver unfortunately doesn't have a wide variety of satellite speakers. I haven't looked into what other shops have, because this shop is one of the biggest ones here.

Anyway, this shop has an offer on a set of 5.1 Jamo speakers (2 floor standing front speakers, 2 bookshelf surround speakers, center and a subwoofer for $666.66; scary I know!). They also have the Bose Acoustimass 6 5.1 set (for $773.33).

I don't really want to get the Jamo speakers, because I don't want to have large floor standing + bookshelf speakers in my living room. I also heard that Bose speakers are over priced and their audio quality isn't so great.

I am considering ordering some speakers from the US. One set I'm considering is the Harman/Kardon HKTS-18 5.1 speakers. They cost around $430 at Amazon, and would cost around $320 to be shipped (total = $750). If I also get the HTFS-2 stands for the surround speakers the total cost will be $975 shipped.

So what do you guys recommend?
1) Order Harman/Kardon HKTS-18 5.1 @ $430 + $320 shipping (total = $750)
2) Locally get Bose Acoustimass 6 5.1 set (for $773.33)
3) Locally get 5.1 Jamo speakers (2 floor standing front speakers, 2 bookshelf surround speakers, center and a subwoofer for $666.66)
4) Order other set of speakers (something else you recommend?) <$500 + ~$300+ shipping
post #1017 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 11:46 AM

In tweaking my speaker setup today I've found I'm a bit confused on how to set up my crossover.

The speakers I have say to use 150Hz and I can dial that in manually on the Onkyo for my satellites and center (audyssey came up with different values). However there isn't a option to adjust the subwoofer cross over. My subwoofer does have a dial - do I just set it at 150Hz also? Is there a straightforward way to test if this is working well together?
post #1018 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Crossover is the frequency at which the signal will cross over from the speaker to the sub woofer. So unless you're going to transfer a subset of frequencies to a separate subwoofer, why would you set a crossover value for the subwoofer itself?
post #1019 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboath View Post

Crossover is the frequency at which the signal will cross over from the speaker to the sub woofer. So unless you're going to transfer a subset of frequencies to a separate subwoofer, why would you set a crossover value for the subwoofer itself?

Well the subwoofer doesn't have a bypass and has a low pass filter range of 80-160Hz. From my reading on the web the setting does matter. But I'm no expert for sure.
post #1020 of 2595 Old 09-14-2009, 05:15 PM

I've been very pleased with the Onkyo 607. I currently have it set up for 7.1.
I was wondering if I could connect an amplifier to run the front height channels to make it a 9.1 setup. I don't think it would be worth upgrading to the onkyo 1007 as it's a steep price difference ($499 vs 1499).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page