Originally Posted by Shmack
Thanks for helping me think this through -- sometimes you just have to put things out there and then keep working through the problem.
Originally Posted by T Morris
OK, so what did you do to fix it?
I've got a new V10 and a DMP-BD30 hooked to an 805 that produces no picture. My HD-DVD player works just fine and the same setup worked with my just replaced 58PZ750U.
Here's what I did: first I hooked my BD player up directly to the television so that I could get a picture from the BD player. I knew this would work, because I had been using a direct connection before purchasing the 607. Then I went into the setup menu and checked my settings -- I figured there was probably a way to tweak things to get it to work.
I found my answers in the "TV / Device Connection" submenu. There I selected the next submenu "HDMI Connection." I then discovered that my "HDMI Audio Output" was set to "Off." I switched it to "On." (I had been using the optical out before buying the 607.) --- This fixed the issue of having no audio. (So I'm stupid, what can I say?)
In "HDMI Connection" sub-submenu, I also switched my "HDMI Video Mode" to "Off." This had the effect of outputting the video over the HDMI cable at whatever resolution was selected for "Component Video Resolution" (one of the other settings found in the "TV / Device Connection" submenu). Once I set the "Component Video Resolution" to "1080i" (my television's maximum resolution), I was fine -- this fixed the problem of having no video.
Further tinkering led me to discover that I could fix the video issue by simply keeping the "HDMI Video Mode" set to "On," AND manually setting the "HDMI Resolution" to "1080i" (the default setting for "HDMI Resolution" was "Auto" (this setting is also in the sub-submenu entitled "HDMI Connection)).
After I had made these changes, when I ran the HDMI cable from the BD player to the receiver and the HDMI>DVI cable from the receiver to the TV, I had no more trouble -- great picture, great sound.
As I see it, my video issue was caused by the BD player trying to send a 1080p signal over the HDMI cable to the receiver (and then on to the TV, which was not capable of displaying 1080p). My guess is that when I was hooked up directly to the television, the BD player was able to recognize the maximum capability of the TV, and so it automatically selected 1080i. But when I interposed the receiver, the BD player could not properly detect the TV's resolution. I'm no expert, but that's my guess.
Good luck, T Morris. I hope this helps.