Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2595 Old 10-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedude View Post

All you have to do is run a pair of RCA from the connection on the tx-sr607 that is labeled "zone 2" to whatever amp you have upstairs. Then, which ever input you are listening to is output on the speakers connected to the tx-sr607 and the speakers connected to the amp upstairs.

That's basically it, but you can refer to the manual for detailed instructions.

So according to the manual only analogue audio inputs will be output to zone 2. So if I have only HDMI cables (which I do) connecting my sources right now, their audio will not be output to zone 2.

Hence my question. I know I have to connect RCA audio cables from zone 2 to the amp upstairs. My question is where I put the other RCA audio cables from the sources (i.e. to which inputs on the receiver? same as the one the HDMI is connected to? or different?)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2595 Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcricket View Post

So according to the manual only analogue audio inputs will be output to zone 2. So if I have only HDMI cables (which I do) connecting my sources right now, their audio will not be output to zone 2.

Hence my question. I know I have to connect RCA audio cables from zone 2 to the amp upstairs. My question is where I put the other RCA audio cables from the sources (i.e. to which inputs on the receiver? same as the one the HDMI is connected to? or different?)?

That's right, audio output only for zone 2.

You could put the RCA connections into any available analog input on your amp upstairs.

For example, say you had another tx-sr607 upstairs, you could plug your RCA cables from the downstairs tx-sr607 into the CD input. You could also probably get a two female - one male RCA connector and plug into coaxial input one or two.

From manual:

Hookup
• Use an RCA audio cable to connect the AV receiver’s
ZONE 2 LINE OUT L/R jacks to an analog audio
input on your Zone 2 amp.
• Connect your Zone 2 speakers to the speaker terminals
on your Zone 2 amp.
post #1083 of 2595 Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Liked: 53
You can connect your sources to the same inputs as the HDMI inputs. BTW, almost all receivers work this way for zone 2, 3, 4, etc. They would have to add DACs (digital to analog converters) for each zone to decode the digital signal. Too costly except for some higher end units.

Bob
post #1084 of 2595 Old 10-04-2009, 10:52 PM

I have a newbie question about video upscaling:

My biggest concern is playing standard def TV broadcasts from my Tivo. is this something that would be improved by video upscaling and, if so, is the 607 with it's poor upscaling reviews really a good choice?

FYI: My TV is a Samsung 860 52" LCD. Does this have its own video upscaling? I'm still not sure if that takes precedence over the receiver's.

Thanks.
post #1085 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 AM

Your TV does have upscaling and video processing almost all TVs do. The question is what device does the better job. The source (N/A with SD TIVO), receiver or display. I'm not familiar with your display so I can't comment.

Bob
post #1086 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 AM

I'm just curious. I have the 605 and am very pleased with it. However with the price of the 607 now at $379, and having 6 HDMI inputs, is it worth upgrading to? Are there any other major differences between the 605 and 607?
post #1087 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PLIIz (front height speakers) and Audyssey Volume
post #1088 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Newbie asking if I need to connect the top front speakers. Can I still get 5.1 effects using rear speakers? Actually asking if the front height speakers are necessary?
post #1089 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM

the front height speakers are optional when using 5.1. they just create another version of 7.1
post #1090 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

You can connect your sources to the same inputs as the HDMI inputs. BTW, almost all receivers work this way for zone 2, 3, 4, etc. They would have to add DACs (digital to analog converters) for each zone to decode the digital signal. Too costly except for some higher end units.

Bob

Thanks for the explanation. So to be clear I'd have an HDMI cable and an RCA audio pair connected for each of the source devices/inputs?

And there isn't be any issue with decoding surround sound information (for when I'm watching in Zone 1) even with two different "audio" connections for each input (audio coming in via both HDMI and RCA analog inputs)? Excuse my ignorance on this subject.

And yes, I know I have to connect the Zone 2 line-outs to the amp in the other room. That's the easy part.
post #1091 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM

You understand it fine! Don't worry about having analog and digitsl connections for the same input. Zone 2 will only use the analog. Zone will use whatever you tell it to in the set up.

Bob
post #1092 of 2595 Old 10-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks Bob - so zone 1 can use the HDMI (audio + video) and zone 2 can use the analog.

That'll be great. So much help.
post #1093 of 2595 Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vive Ardyss View Post

Did you feel your 600 had enough power? Was it running 8 ohm loads to deliver the advertised "80 watts X 6"?

I like my '605 as well, although I haven't been able to enjoy the bitstreamed new surround codecs because my player passes TrueHD as multichannel PCM, and it doesn't even support Master Audio at all. So, my 605 hasn't been "strutting its real stuff" so to speak.

So, is there much performance difference between the 605 and 607, outside of the PLIIz height?

TrueHD = DTS-HD MA = PCM = lossless audio. You are not missing anything except the pretty lights turn on, on the receiver. Your player is just unable to bitstream the TrueHD track to the receiver, so you will just be letting the player do the decoding before it gets to the receiver. When playing Blu-Ray on my PS3 40gb, it does the same thing. It shows Multichannel PCM.
post #1094 of 2595 Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Question-I have a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK with only a component card, since I can't find a HDMI card anymore(discontinued). I want to get the Onkyo TX-SR607 and connect all my components to the receiver with HDMI. If I use the Component out to my TV will there be any problems(issues)? Thanks.
post #1095 of 2595 Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 PM

I am trying to run the auto Audessey speaker setup feature but every time I get the error " Speaker Detect Error ", I have swop the speakers around but it still gives me the error code. What can be wrong and how to solve it?
post #1096 of 2595 Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post

Hi all, I've got a problem with my HTPC and the 607, I just received my 607 a couple of weeks ago and I've been setting it up but I've got a problem with my HTPC. It doesn't seem to want to display. Right now it's connected via an HDMI/DVI cable to the 607 and the vid card is a Nvidia 7800gt, the 607 keeps blinking HDMI when I select that input.. any ideas?

thanks!

hi pookguy88 --- did the htpc--to-sr607 connection work for you finally. I am in the same boart. I love sr607 but when connect to my htpc via HDMI I don't get any video. totally blank. thinking for returning the box. please help. thanx very much.
post #1097 of 2595 Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlim View Post

I am trying to run the auto Audessey speaker setup feature but every time I get the error " Speaker Detect Error ", I have swop the speakers around but it still gives me the error code. What can be wrong and how to solve it?

I was getting an error like that and it pointed me to the fact that the tweeter was blown on my JBL Center speaker. A new tweeter driver cone fixed it and the calibration completed after that (several times).

You might also double check your wiring and polarity. When you move them around, does the problem follow the speaker or location?

post #1098 of 2595 Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwilson View Post

I've got my Mac Mini hooked up to my 607 and I'm having a strange issue. I'll try and explain it the best I can.

Problem 1:
If I turn off the TV while the receiver is set to the Mini, then turn the TV back on, the video signal drops and the TV reports "no signal". Even if I'm watching a movie or listening to music... if I turn the TV off and back on, the TV says there's no video signal. The audio persists, but the video drops.

This means every time I turn my TV on to watch something on my Mini, I have to put my Mini to sleep, then wake it up again. After I do this, the signal comes through. I know the Mini is awake because I can control the audio with my iPhone and connect to it on the network.

Problem 2:
Probably related. If I switch over to a different input, then switch back to the Mini, it loses both video and audio signal until I put the Mini to sleep and wake it back up again.

The Mini is hooked up with a DVI -> HDMI adapter, and optical minijack to TOSLINK for audio.

This happens only with the Mini, and only when it's hooked up through the receiver. If I hook it directly to the TV, then I don't have this problem.

Seems pretty strange to me!

Hi buckwilson, did you find any solution to your problem. I am having similar problem with my HTPC. Except I don't get any video signal at all. My htpc is connect to 607 via hdmi. But no video.

thanks for any help.
post #1099 of 2595 Old 10-11-2009, 01:58 PM

I am having 2 issues with my 607, has anyone else seen this:

1. vertical banding lines of dark and light areas that seem to be moving across the screen... It seems almost like a contrast thing, but if I play with my TV setup it does not go away, and if I hook up the source unit directly to the TV it is not there... It is the same with passthrough and auto resolution, but gets worse with upscaling from a DVD player...

2. Sometimes the receiver just stops sending the video signal. This is totally random and can usually be fixed by turning off the receiver and/or the source unit multiple times... I cannot make the receiver do it, just happens at random, sometimes 2 weeks without seeing the issue.. The sound still works fine when this is happening..

Any input on either of these two issues? Has anyone else had similar issues?
Thanks for any input!
post #1100 of 2595 Old 10-11-2009, 02:07 PM

1. sounds like a ground loop.

2. Not sure.

Test the ground loop by putting all yor equipment on the same outlet strip and put a 3-2 prong adapter on the outlet strip and plug going into the wall. Removing the ground is NOT the recommended method for fixing the problem only to determine if it is a ground loop.

Bob
post #1101 of 2595 Old 10-11-2009, 03:18 PM

So lets say the banding is a ground loop issue... I only see the banding when running through the receiver. The cable goes directly to the TV, and we never have the banding when watching cable. A ground loop issue would answer the question, but I have not way of putting all the electronics in the room running off the same ground location...

Is there a stand alone unit I could plug the receiver into (like a power conditioner) that might solve the issue? I do have a surge protector, but perhaps a higher grade one my help...

Any other ways to get rid of ground loop issues?

Thanks again.
post #1102 of 2595 Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Find out how many devices you have with a 3 prong plug and use the ground. Put an adapter on each one of them if putting them on one outlet strip is not possible. The adapters are cheap. If this eliminates your problem the next question is what is causing the ground loop.

A VERY common ground loop problem is cable/sat/ota connections which you can check. Dont' forget HTPC's in this process or anything connected to a router which may be connected to a DSL/cable modem (Blu-ray player possibly). Play your DVD player and disconnect ALL cable/sat/ ota wires from interconnected equipment.

If it is cable the VRD-1FF Cable TV Ground Loop Isolator will solve your problem.
http://jensentransformers.com/

There are less expensive ones that might work but some have had problems and we use that one because it works.

If it is SAT/OTA or phone for DSL then you need to make sure these items are grounded at the electrical service entrance and not just into the ground or connected to a water pipe, etc. This will also work for cable if it is an easy fix, sometimes it is easier to just buy the isolater.

These are the most common problems but it may something else.

Hope this helps.

Bob
post #1103 of 2595 Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 PM

I seem to have a lip sync problem when playing blu ray using DTS HD master audio.

I have a samsung bdp 2550 going into the sr607. I went back and forth from dolby digital, true HD and back to DTS HD blu-ray disks. It only is happening using DTS HD one.

I'm using the bitsteam (audiophile) option on my BD player. whithin the 607 I tried enabling the lip sync setting within hardware setup -> HDMI-> LIP SYNC. Then going into SOURCE SETUP -> a/v sync 0-100ms( but I actually need to go the negative ms way for the voice to sync up)

Can anyone help? I'm playing the X-Men Origins Wolverine BD. Surprisingly its the only BD I own that uses DTS-HD master audio.
post #1104 of 2595 Old 10-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

TrueHD = DTS-HD MA = PCM = lossless audio. You are not missing anything except the pretty lights turn on, on the receiver. Your player is just unable to bitstream the TrueHD track to the receiver, so you will just be letting the player do the decoding before it gets to the receiver. When playing Blu-Ray on my PS3 40gb, it does the same thing. It shows Multichannel PCM.

Hello, Dathon.

Thank you for the reply. I realize the PCM'ed signals from a player decoding the soundtracks is in fact high resolution audio, it's just that I was trying to say that my current player doesn't BITSTREAM these so I haven't been able to see the 605 -- or hear it -- "do its thing" with these soundtracks in terms of evaluating the performance of the AVR. The member I was replying to was talking about his Onkyo and its "beefier" performance with the new surround formats, so I was stating that I haven't been able to hear them by way of my 605 doing the decoding.

Beyond that, I haven't really been "enjoying" the performance of my player doing the TrueHD decoding into PCM on BDs; there has been a known "LFE bug" issue with my player that affects bass over HDMI, and I just don't think the internally decoded tracks from the player would sound as "involving" as those bitstreamed from the player -- in fact, most lossy Dolby and DTS tracks bitstreamed from this player sound a great deal more "forceful" and involving than the TrueHD tracks coming from the player as decoded multichannel PCM...
post #1105 of 2595 Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVwannaB View Post

I am having 2 issues with my 607, has anyone else seen this:

1. vertical banding lines of dark and light areas that seem to be moving across the screen... It seems almost like a contrast thing, but if I play with my TV setup it does not go away, and if I hook up the source unit directly to the TV it is not there... It is the same with passthrough and auto resolution, but gets worse with upscaling from a DVD player...

2. Sometimes the receiver just stops sending the video signal. This is totally random and can usually be fixed by turning off the receiver and/or the source unit multiple times... I cannot make the receiver do it, just happens at random, sometimes 2 weeks without seeing the issue.. The sound still works fine when this is happening..

Any input on either of these two issues? Has anyone else had similar issues?
Thanks for any input!

#2 - I am having the same issue as you. I recently bought this receiver from Newegg (Open Box) and it works perfectly other then when the video just turns off. I can still hear the audio but no video is displayed. It has happened only twice to me but I have only had it for a week. I am wondering if I should send it back to Newegg or send it to the service center. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1106 of 2595 Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM

I've searched and couldn't find this anywhere, so I hope I'm not repeating an old question.

I have my 607 connected to my TV (JVC LCoS RPTV) using only the HDMI cable. Most of my components are connected to the receiver using either HDMI or component inputs. The exception is my old VCR (still play a tape here and there), which is connected to the VCR composite input, along with the right and left audio connections.

When I tested the VCR connection, I kept getting dropouts in the video (can't recall ATM whether the audio dropped at the same time). The dropouts would last a few seconds, then things would work fine again for a while. Has anyone else experienced this, or know what it might be? I guess as a workaround, I could run the composite output to the TV and switch to that for the VCR, but just curious why this isn't working as it should.
post #1107 of 2595 Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Hello,
I Have a newbie Question.
I have a TX SR607 and I am trying to hook up a Polk (passive) soundbar 40 + Sub.
It explains in the Polk literature that I cannot use the audyssey set up program because it is a sound bar. It tells me to go in and...........

1. Set my Sub to off or none / That is done
2. Set my left and right speaker channels to large / can't find this in menu
3. set my center and rear channels to small / can't find this in menu

Any suggestions as to how to set this up?

Thanks in advance

SeanG
post #1108 of 2595 Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheldog View Post

#2 - I am having the same issue as you. I recently bought this receiver from Newegg (Open Box) and it works perfectly other then when the video just turns off. I can still hear the audio but no video is displayed. It has happened only twice to me but I have only had it for a week. I am wondering if I should send it back to Newegg or send it to the service center. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I dont have a solution yet. I do plan on calling Onkyo and discussing it with them.

I will let you know if I figure anything out, please do the same if you have any success.

In the mean time, any other input is still appreciated...
Thx!
post #1109 of 2595 Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seang007 View Post

Hello,
I Have a newbie Question.
I have a TX SR607 and I am trying to hook up a Polk (passive) soundbar 40 + Sub.
It explains in the Polk literature that I cannot use the audyssey set up program because it is a sound bar. It tells me to go in and...........

1. Set my Sub to off or none / That is done
2. Set my left and right speaker channels to large / can't find this in menu
3. set my center and rear channels to small / can't find this in menu

Any suggestions as to how to set this up?

Thanks in advance

SeanG

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it at: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d

Pages 43 and 70 discuss speakers settings. However, doesn't Audyssey automatically set your speakers based on its tests? So unplugging the sub before running Audyssey should setup your other speakers. Then plug in the sub and go to speaker setup and turn on the sub. (The Audyssey instructions are on page 46.)
post #1110 of 2595 Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it at.........

Pages 43 and 70 discuss speakers settings. However, doesn't Audyssey automatically set your speakers based on its tests? So unplugging the sub before running Audyssey should setup your other speakers. Then plug in the sub and go to speaker setup and turn on the sub. (The Audyssey instructions are on page 46.)

Eben, Thanks for the reply.

I can't use the audyssey auto setup with a soundbar. In the polk soundbar instructions it specifically says not to use the auto setup feature of an AVR Because a soundbar is really not a true surround sound system it will read error codes when trying to locate the speakers. ( I tried it and it did!)

I do have the owners manual and looked at those pages you mentioned but they are of little help.

The Polk instructions say to set the sub as off or none..........I can do that.

Then they say to set Left & Right Speaker Channels to Large and the center & rear channels to small.

I can't find Large or small as options even in the advanced setup section on page 70. I think there is a way to do what they want but it is probably worded differently in the onkyo menu system.

So anyone who has successfully hooked up a TX RS607 to a passive soundbar, I would appreciate any tips in how to set it up properly!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page