post #91 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post

same price i assume? I had checked amazon before I left, and i could'v waited till tuesday and saved 45$, but thats fine

i got it at video only in seattle. quite a bit less. i also checked the price before i left, thats why i grabbed it no questions asked.
i have a question for you: how do you set 0 for reference volume?
cant seem to figure it out. its not like the other onkyo's i have played with.
also when you run test tones they are not at 75db, they adjust with the volume. is so strange!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

i got it at video only in seattle. quite a bit less. i also checked the price before i left, thats why i grabbed it no questions asked.
i have a question for you: how do you set 0 for reference volume?
cant seem to figure it out. its not like the other onkyo's i have played with.
also when you run test tones they are not at 75db, they adjust with the volume. is so strange!

Honestly, i havn't played with it much. Just trying to set it up for now. I think we'll see quite a few questions going around and being answered since its a fairly new unit.

How much did you pay at video only?
post #93 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, i havn't played with it much. Just trying to set it up for now. I think we'll see quite a few questions going around and being answered since its a fairly new unit.

How much did you pay at video only?

lets just say that i thought it was miss marked and i wanted to get out the door before they noticed.
post #94 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

lets just say that i thought it was miss marked and i wanted to get out the door before they noticed.

Lol, ok
post #95 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM

I'm thinking about getting the 607 but I'm wondering if it will fit on the built-in bookshelf above my TV. There is a cutout on the bookshelf for the cables, but what I'm wondering about is the depth of the unit. The specs say the unit is 12.9 inches deep and I assume I would need at least an extra inch for the connections in the back. The problem is that the bookshelf is only 11.5 inches deep.

How far set back are the front two "feet" on the unit? For example, if the front feet are 3 inches back from the front of the unit (measured from the volume knob I assume), then maybe I could squeeze it up there.

So, do you think it will fit?

Thanks!
post #96 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM

So, I've had this running for a few hours now. I have a few basic questions, and hopefully I don't sound too dumb

My Setup is as following, all using HDMI:
PS3 -> Receiver -> TV
Cable box ->Receiver ->TV
I have 2 Fronts, 2 surrounds (as defined by the diag in the manual), 1 Center, 1 Sub, and 2 Front high's.

1. PS3 settings:
The audio output under video settings, should that be set to Bitstrea or PCM? The PS3 is connected via HDMI ofcourse.

2. Receiver settings:

- While watching TrueHD movies, as part of the listening modes on the receiver, should this be set to Multich or to PLIIz Height?

- It does seem the receiver can support 2 front high's & 2 back surrounds since there are different plugs, and I can enable it from the speaker setting screen. You just can't have rears + front high's + zone2 since it shares front high with Zone 2 . Now, which of these is more effective? Should the fronts be at the same place where the front's are only higher?

- Is it possible to setup the receiver in a way that I do not have to turn it on to watch regular tv thru the cable box everytime? While messing around with the receiver last night, I was able to set it so that i turned the TV, Receiver, and cable box on. Then turned the receiver off and still got audio + video on the TV. Somehow in that process I lost OSD of the menu and I reset the receiver to factory default. I can't seem to get it back

Any help would be appreciated
post #97 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1. PS3 settings:
PCM. The PS3 will decode the codecs onboard.

2. Receiver settings:

- Is this coming from your PS3? It will show multichannel if you have the PS3 decoding properly.

- You can have 7 channels of amplification in whatever combo you want. 2 fronts, center, 2 side surround, and 2 height will use all of your slots.

- I don't know. Haven't tried this one yet.
post #98 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post

1. PS3 settings:
PCM. The PS3 will decode the codecs onboard.

2. Receiver settings:

- Is this coming from your PS3? It will show multichannel if you have the PS3 decoding properly.

- You can have 7 channels of amplification in whatever combo you want. 2 fronts, center, 2 side surround, and 2 height will use all of your slots.

- I don't know. Haven't tried this one yet.

Interesting thanks.

So i setup the PS3 as PCM, and kept the listening mode pre-set to Last Valid. While a movie is playing, I hit the display button on the receiver and it said Multich. But There is no sound from the front high's.

If I switch to PLIIz Height in the listening mode, then I get sound from the highs. At the same time, I have the TrueHD preset in the DVD/BD pre-set values as well.

Could this be due to the movie? Tried this on Ironman BD, and on The Reader with audio output set as 5.1 TrueHD.

Guess its the movie that is not 7.1?
post #99 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Man, I'm glad to see the good reviews coming in, but now my patience is really being tested! I feel like I should wait and see what the new Denons have, as well as the higher up Onkyos. But this unit seems to be such a great value.

It seems to have everything I need...the question is, does it have everything I want? I might want networking features, or on-screen overlay of volume on HDMI, or MultiEQ over 2EQ...but bang for the buck on this seems so good. I just don't want to kick myself later when I see the other new Denon and Onkyo units!

Must...resist...checkout button...
post #100 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Interesting thanks.

So i setup the PS3 as PCM, and kept the listening mode pre-set to Last Valid. While a movie is playing, I hit the display button on the receiver and it said Multich. But There is no sound from the front high's.

If I switch to PLIIz Height in the listening mode, then I get sound from the highs. At the same time, I have the TrueHD preset in the DVD/BD pre-set values as well.

Could this be due to the movie? Tried this on Ironman BD, and on The Reader with audio output set as 5.1 TrueHD.

Guess its the movie that is not 7.1?

The PLIIz isnt encoded in the movie.. the AVR will "create" those channels. You might always have to set the listening mode that way to get it to work. For now anyway.
post #101 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post

It seems to have everything I need...the question is, does it have everything I want? I might want networking features, or on-screen overlay of volume on HDMI, or MultiEQ over 2EQ...but bang for the buck on this seems so good. I just don't want to kick myself later when I see the other new Denon and Onkyo units!

If you wait 2-3-4 or more years and model releases you'll probably get all those things in this price class. Todays features on higher prices units trickle down as new ones are released. Bang for the buck you are correct, this and every past Onkyo model for the most part is one of if not the leading value vs price choices in the industry. It has been that way and it probably will continue to be that way, no matter when you buy.

You'll always kick yourself later or will be upgrading every other year with that mindset and if you do that's fine, that's what they are hoping for.
The question is, does it have what you need NOW! Later something else is going to come out and if you wait on it then something else will come out after that. It's an endless process.

Do you want to enjoy your system now or sit on your hands and read about the newest features on the newest model releases?

PS on a side note, you can get one of those features now in MultEQ for the same price if you want to go with a 706 refurb or possible even new if you find a good sale since the 707s are near. You'll give up the front hight speaker capability and the 2nd sub output which imo are gimikey features anyway. Having EQ in the sub region with MultiEQ is more important to me personally plus you'll have preouts if you decide to add an external amp in the future, it is an option at the same price point.
post #102 of 2598 Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to get it now. In a few years you will need to upgrade to what ever is delivering your HD content over the internet. Will it be your BD player or receiver that becomes your web browser/download portal or will it be your cable box or TV? I think that is still up in the air right now.

If you wan't killer sounding audio at a great price with plenty of HDMI inputs, the 607 is the way to go.
post #103 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 PM

Well I pulled the trigger on speakers for the Onkyo:

Called audio advisor and bought:
C-500 (pair in black)
C-C100 (Black)
C-R100 (pair in black)

Can't wait now. should have them by the weekend if Fedex is good to me

Now i can probably get the real feel of the 607
post #104 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Well I pulled the trigger on speakers for the Onkyo:

Called audio advisor and bought:
C-500 (pair in black)
C-C100 (Black)
C-R100 (pair in black)

Can't wait now. should have them by the weekend if Fedex is good to me

Now i can probably get the real feel of the 607

I have a similar Energy setup (C-300 Fronts, C-C100 Center, and C-R100 rears.) and I just bought the 607 on my lunch break. Nebraska Furniture Mart had their Berkshire discount weekend and the 607 was 391 before tax. I get 30 days to return if I don't like the unit. So I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow and try setting it up to see if I like it.
post #105 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Square] View Post

I have a similar Energy setup (C-300 Fronts, C-C100 Center, and C-R100 rears.) and I just bought the 607 on my lunch break. Nebraska Furniture Mart had their Berkshire discount weekend and the 607 was 391 before tax. I get 30 days to return if I don't like the unit. So I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow and try setting it up to see if I like it.

That's a good price. If I could get the 607 from anywhere for the low $400s, I would hit it in an instant. Right now the near $500 level is causing me to hold back, especially since I *know* (or guess) that it'll be available for around $400 (either at regular price or with discount) sometime in the near future.
post #106 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelaine View Post

I'm thinking about getting the 607 but I'm wondering if it will fit on the built-in bookshelf above my TV. There is a cutout on the bookshelf for the cables, but what I'm wondering about is the depth of the unit. The specs say the unit is 12.9 inches deep and I assume I would need at least an extra inch for the connections in the back. The problem is that the bookshelf is only 11.5 inches deep.

How far set back are the front two "feet" on the unit? For example, if the front feet are 3 inches back from the front of the unit (measured from the volume knob I assume), then maybe I could squeeze it up there.

So, do you think it will fit?

Thanks!

So does anyone out there with a 607 have a tape measure handy? If so, could you give me your thoughts on the above? Thanks!
post #107 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM

CNET didn't like it too much, as it seems:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/01...readercomments
post #108 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Dimensions directly from the Onkyo site:
Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 1/8" x 6 15/16" x 12 15/16"
(435 x 174.3 x 374.7 mm)
post #109 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Dimensions directly from the Onkyo site:
Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 1/8" x 6 15/16" x 12 15/16"
(435 x 174.3 x 374.7 mm)

Thanks, I've seen those, but what I am wondering is how far the front two feet are set back from the very front of the unit. If they are set back enough then I might be able to squeeze it onto my 11.5 inch shelf. I kind of doubt it, but if the feet are big enough and set back far enough, it might just work.
post #110 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I've seen those, but what I am wondering is how far the front two feet are set back from the very front of the unit. If they are set back enough then I might be able to squeeze it onto my 11.5 inch shelf. I kind of doubt it, but if the feet are big enough and set back far enough, it might just work.

I'll try to get them when I get home after 4-5hrs if no one has responded
post #111 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I'd say it's about 2.5" from the knob (which is what sticks out the most on the front) to the front of the feet. The feet are probably something like 2" in diameter. It's about 9.5" from the back panel to the front of the front foot (excluding connectors on the back). I'd say it may be possible to squeeze it on a 11.5" bookshelf but it wouldn't be pretty. You'd probably need to avoid using much that added depth to the back (FM antenna, twist down banana plugs, thick HDMI cables).
post #112 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk04523 View Post

I'd say it's about 2.5" from the knob (which is what sticks out the most on the front) to the front of the feet. The feet are probably something like 2" in diameter. It's about 9.5" from the back panel to the front of the front foot (excluding connectors on the back). I'd say it may be possible to squeeze it on a 11.5" bookshelf but it wouldn't be pretty. You'd probably need to avoid using much that added depth to the back (FM antenna, twist down banana plugs, thick HDMI cables).

Thanks. It sounds like it might be VERY tight, but it might work. And if push comes to shove, I could always put a piece of wood down on the shelf which extends an inch or so beyond the shelf. This would give the front feet something to rest on rather than hanging on the edge.

Or, I might just put everything into the cabinet below the TV. There are two possible problems with that. The first is that the wooden doors to the cabinet would obviously block the IR remote signal. I'm thinking about getting a Hot Link Pro IR repeater to solve that problem. The second problem with that is the heat. Will the 607 be OK in an enclosed cabinet? There is lots of room down there, so it wouldn't be cramped in, but there really isn't much ventilation in the cabinet.
post #113 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM

The 607 gets really hot. I wouldnt keep it completely enclosed all the time.
post #114 of 2598 Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
lgc

guy's I'm tring to determine if I have an issue with my 607.I have a sa hd8300 via hdmi to the 607 feeding a panny th50pz77.everything is working great;yet when I hit the video button on the remote the 607 display reads not avalible.shouldn't I have some options avalible?I was hoping to set the 607 to scale the 8300 sd/hd to fill the tv screen automatic.
post #115 of 2598 Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike424242 View Post

CNET didn't like it too much, as it seems:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/01...readercomments

Quote:

Onkyo's $599 TX-SR607 receiver made its way through CNET's auditioning room, and it sounds to us like it holds up Onkyo's tradition of delivering solid performance at entry-level prices. Even though the receiver got dinged for its big, boxy design (which we like, by the way), additional complaints about the unit running hot strikes us as a bit unfair. Given some breathing room, the Onkyo's audio performance stacked up favorably against a Denon 3808CI. At $599, we wouldn't come down too hard on the video upscaling performance; your display might do a fine job on that task anyways. Ah, but what about that new Dolby ProLogic IIz that's supposed to raise your roof? Well, it didn't seem to work for CNET at all -- on a variety of source material and even with boosted levels fed to the height speakers, the effect fell, well, flat. We'd suggest trying out DPL IIz before jumping into the multi-channel arms race.

Sounds like they weren't real high on the DPL IIz, but I don't know if that is a ding on the unit as a whole right now. It's a new technology and it doesn't sound like it's utilized much yet.
post #116 of 2598 Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:

The 607 gets really hot. I wouldnt keep it completely enclosed all the time.

Just to clarify, is this based on personal experience or just an assumption based on the past 606 problems? Not trying to put you on the spot, just trying to get some real world feedback.

Thanks.
post #117 of 2598 Old 05-05-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From the CNET review:
"Moving our Aperion system back to a traditional surround sound setup, we found the TX-SR607's sound quality was well above average for its price class, and comparisons with our reference Denon AVR 3808CI receiver ($1,699 MSRP) were too close to call. The two receivers sounded alike, at moderate volume. Cranking the volume way up, the Denon had the edge, as the Onkyo couldn't quite keep up when driven that hard. That's no surprise, though, considering the Denon is more than twice the price of the Onkyo."
post #118 of 2598 Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You could always add feet (spacers) behind the front feet to support it, but extending the shelf may be your best bet.
post #119 of 2598 Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

You could always add feet (spacers) behind the front feet to support it, but extending the shelf may be your best bet.

Thanks, it's funny that you mention that because that's exactly what I did with the Onkyo receiver that I purchased over 20 years ago back in high school! But in that situation the back legs were hanging out the back of my cabinet, so I put spacers in front of the legs. I actually still have that receiver, but lost the home-made spacers that I was using.
post #120 of 2598 Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by santropez View Post

I left the receiver on all night. I just felt the top and I can hold my hand on the top. It is warm but not super hot. Plus, it is located in a custom cabinet that doesn't have a lot of room between the top of the receiver and the upper shelf. I thought it would be a lot hotter but I guess these units run much cooler than the older models.

I think the reason it wasn't that hot is because it wasn't doing anything. My 607 is fine if it's left on and not doing anything, but the minute it has to do something and pump out the sound, it becomes a radiator that is almost too hot to touch on top(not quite as bad as my 705 tho).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page