post #1171 of 2595 Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post

I also have the HTPC directly hooked to the projector over VGA.

Sorry if a little off topic ... but do you mind if I ask how long your 15-pin VGA cable is? It's probably special/hi quality so if you remember where you got it, that would be helpful also.

My brother has a projector and I've been helping him with the HTPC side of things. These long cables worry me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2595 Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How would the amps and dacs in this compare to an old Denon (AVR-1906)? People here only seem to be discussing features, settings, not actual sound quality.
post #1173 of 2595 Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Sorry if a little off topic ... but do you mind if I ask how long your 15-pin VGA cable is? It's probably special/hi quality so if you remember where you got it, that would be helpful also.

My brother has a projector and I've been helping him with the HTPC side of things. These long cables worry me.

35', purchased from monoprice.com. Nothing special about it, they have decent quality cables for cheap.
post #1174 of 2595 Old 11-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Liked: 10
left surround speaker clicks changing channels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just set up my Onkyo 607 refurb today and it sounds great except when changing tv channels or when a tv program goes to a commercial or changing any of the modes then I hear a short clicking or static noise. I double checked the speaker and receiver connection, their good. I did not have this problem with my old receiver so I don't think its the speaker, maybe my set up is faulty. Any help would be appreciated.
post #1175 of 2595 Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Man am I bummed. I bought an open box SX607 at Best Buy at a good price. It had everything, but the remote. I was happy I could access just about everything via the receiver's front panel, but I can't get to the "Video" section to adjust what the 607 upconverts to and outputs and the default is set at "Through"

I have an older Onkyo Remote that works on the volume, listening modes, and quite a few other functions, but doesn't have a video button.

I know it's a shot in the dark, but is there a way to access the "video" function???
post #1176 of 2595 Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnlogan View Post

Vive I really can't answer that question definitively. But I do know that it sounds so much better and the volume doesn't need to turned up as high to achieve the same level as on the 605. The highs and mids are much clearer and the bass is deeper. I don't know for sure right at the moment but i think the 607 is about 6-7 lbs. heavier so maybe it has a better power supply? Also one problem I am having is that when I push the audio button to go into the menu to change speaker levels, the only speakers that are showing up are center and sub. I haven't checked into it very deeply yet, but any ideas why front and back aren't showing up?

It just doesn't make any sense; from what I can tell, both of these units are identical in raw power specs and internal components -- does anyone have any additional information on distinct PERFORMANCE differences between the 605 and 607, outside of elements like the height channels and so forth?
post #1177 of 2595 Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM

Was wondering if anyone could answer this question, even though it's about a 605 model (which should work the same way as a 607):

I recently recalibrated by speaker distances after discovering they were a bit off from the initial calibration -- instead of 6 feet for the fronts and center, they are now 8 feet, and instead of the left surround being 1 foot, it's now 2 feet...

No channel level changes were made. I could swear, though, that something sounds different and there MAY be a bit of a lip sync issue...when changing speaker distances, should this affect the playback levels? If I now added two feet to the front soundstage, does this mean the volume should go up or down a bit in output, or are these things unrelated?

I realize distances are for the delay settings for surround effects to reach the sweet spot correctly and such, but would it affect anything else?
post #1178 of 2595 Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM

Very happy with my 607. I am looking to upgrade my current cd player, an older Yamaha CDC-565 that has only RCA outputs. Should I look into a new cd player with optical and/or coax out? I realize the difference is where the decoding occurs. Is it better to have it decoded in the receiver or the cd player?
post #1179 of 2595 Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrpt View Post

Very happy with my 607. I am looking to upgrade my current cd player, an older Yamaha CDC-565 that has only RCA outputs. Should I look into a new cd player with optical and/or coax out? I realize the difference is where the decoding occurs. Is it better to have it decoded in the receiver or the cd player?

Of course, get one with HDMI or optical/coax out. RCA L/R is stereo only.
post #1180 of 2595 Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 AM

I currently have the Onkyo TX-DS595, and it still does everything I need. I have an HD-DVR connected via HDMI to a plasma and digital optical to the receiver. I've been eyeballing the 607 because of the HDMI inputs, and hopefully to remedy an issue I'm experiencing.

The problem is that since I switched to HD programming (Comcast) about two years ago I have been getting .5 to 1 second audio drops on certain HD channels ("live" or recorded on DVR). I've had the box replaced, signal strength tested and the problem persists. There are no issues whatsoever with DVD or Blu-Ray playback, also connected via digital optical.

I'm starting to think it is more likely that this otherwise solid receiver (admittedly a few years old) could be the source of the drops.

If so, are any owners of the 607 experiencing similar problems - or is it possible that Onkyo has upgraded the current batch of receivers to more properly handle HD digital broadcast audio?

I've been extremely pleased with the TX-DS595, and would jump on the 607 if I knew this might fix my problem.

Eamus Catuli!
Zerstörung durch Fortschritte der Technologie

post #1181 of 2595 Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 265
hello everyone a noob here , been reading every thread and very thankful for your vast info on the 607 and 807 ,almost ready to get one of them just hesitating whether i should get networking and fw update of the 807 or stick with the 607seems to be the dilema lol .i had auditioned the 607 ,706,906 at a local store here in canada called london drugs and i must say wow very impressive and side by side they all seemed pretty similar s/q except the 906 a tad warmer.my concern is do u guys think it is enough power? ,i couldnt really tell ,didnt want to blast the 607 to 60+ in the store .,i barely went over 37 on the volume level and has anyone here bought the 607 and upgraded to the more expensive units 876 ,906 ? when i auditioned the units in store i played around for a bit with movies and a couple jazz cd s and almost took the 607 home but hesitated due to the arrival of the 807 any thoughts would be much appreciated ,thank you
post #1182 of 2595 Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootchu View Post

Man am I bummed. I bought an open box SX607 at Best Buy at a good price. It had everything, but the remote. I was happy I could access just about everything via the receiver's front panel, but I can't get to the "Video" section to adjust what the 607 upconverts to and outputs and the default is set at "Through"

I have an older Onkyo Remote that works on the volume, listening modes, and quite a few other functions, but doesn't have a video button.

I know it's a shot in the dark, but is there a way to access the "video" function???

This might be a good time to invest in a Harmony Remote. You can find some great deals on refurbed ones. With the Harmony, you download the codes from the web and don't need the original remote.
post #1183 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 AM

A couple of questions for '607 owners, as a current '605 owner looking to possibly "upgrade"...

First, I understand this has been discussed in previous pages of this thread, but are there any recognizable, technical differences between these two receivers? On paper, they look the same, specs wise -- that is, both rated at 90 watts (into two channels, as Onkyo is specifying now) and both with the same high resolution decoding, HDMI 1.3a passthrough, etc...but aside from the obvious differences like the Pro Logic IIz height channels and the additional HDMI inputs, are there major differences between these two models, enough to warrant an "upgrade" from a '605 to the '607?

There have been some preliminary reports and posts, as I mention above, regarding some '607 owners experiencing a "much improved" sound quality experience with the '607s coming from a '605...could this be? Does this new receiver use better DACs or contain better "guts"?

Lastly, do you '607 owners feel the rated 90 watts per channel is enough to drive your home theaters? Do you find yourselves reaching the maximum volume range at all during DVD or Blu-ray playback?

The one thing I don't like about the "600" series from Onkyo is the lack of preouts to feed a power amp...
post #1184 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Hi! I'm new to this forum, but couldn't seem to find an answer to my problem, so I'll try posting it

I got my 607 a few weeks back, and here's my issue:

I have a computer hooked up with a DVI-HDMI cable, and my Samsung L32R72B connected to the HDMI out. The tv's native resolution is 1360x768, and I am able to set my resolution on the PC to this exact resolution. It seems, however, the 607 is scaling the picture to extend the borders of my TV no matter what I choose. Even if I set screen resolution on my PC to 1280x720 (proper 720p), the picture becomes to large...

I've tried looking in the TV setup, and in the receiver setup, but can't seem to find a solution anywhere.
I was hoping that the Video-button on my remote would solve the issue, but all it does is display the message "Not Available" in the receiver-display..

(Xbox 360 with HDMI works just fine)

Anyone else have this problem?
post #1185 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngvebn View Post

Hi! I'm new to this forum, but couldn't seem to find an answer to my problem, so I'll try posting it

I got my 607 a few weeks back, and here's my issue:

I have a computer hooked up with a DVI-HDMI cable, and my Samsung L32R72B connected to the HDMI out.

I use VGA to the the TV and SPDIF to the 607. Works nicely. Another reason is that (depending on your video/sound cards ... and even drivers and config.) digital audio from the computer via HDMI is sometimes not 5.1 channel.

post #1186 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

35', purchased from monoprice.com. Nothing special about it, they have decent quality cables for cheap.

Good old MonoPrice. Yep, I love that place.

We needed it quick (but once I saw you went 35 ft and we only needed to go 25 ft) I picked up a nice looking 25 footer with ferrites locally and it works great.

Thanks for the reply.

post #1187 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Yes, I get it too.

I have a Time Warner supplied SA-8300 DVR via HDMI ... then HDMI to plasma. I have the Dynamic Volume on Medium. I also remember needing to turn on HDMI LipSync. I haven't tried disabling either one of these to see if the problem goes away mainly because the drop-outs are very random and it will be hard to check. Some stations are worse than others. Some stations don't do it at all. I thought it might just be the LipSync ... it leaves the video playing fluidly and re-syncs the sound as needed (it drops out slightly while it finds it's place). The DVD doesn't do it at all (but it's hooked up with Component/SPDIF).

I would be interested it hearing what you find. This receiver is my first HDMI setup and with making the receiver the controller. If I have to go back to Component/SPDIF ... I'll run the Component video outputs to the TV and just run the audio to the receiver (would be to much analog cable the other way). Problem is, you start running out of Digital Audio ports pretty quick (because you are suppose to be using HDMI ports mainly).

I'm using MonoPrice HDMI cables and I have also tried some others that were marked HDMI 1.3 1080P (bandwidth capable).

This issue has been resolved. It wasn't the Onkyo 607, plasma TV or HDMI cable.

It was the SA 8300 DVR or rather a poor digital cable signal to the DVR causing drop-outs. The DVR just happened to be my only HDMI connected device currently.

The levels got so bad that my cable modem stopped working. The actual problem was out-dated cable line filters a few houses down.

post #1188 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebyte View Post

left surround speaker clicks changing channels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just set up my Onkyo 607 refurb today and it sounds great except when changing tv channels or when a tv program goes to a commercial or changing any of the modes then I hear a short clicking or static noise. I double checked the speaker and receiver connection, their good. I did not have this problem with my old receiver so I don't think its the speaker, maybe my set up is faulty. Any help would be appreciated.

On the 607, try changing the default listening mode to "TV Logic" for the TV's input device.

See this old post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post16812830

post #1189 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Anyone who can recommend budget 5.1 speakers to use with the 607?
post #1190 of 2595 Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Anyone with any comments with regard to my 605/607 comparison questions?
post #1191 of 2595 Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile82 View Post

Anyone who can recommend budget 5.1 speakers to use with the 607?

What sort of budget are you talking about? Barring electrostatics which may need more power, pretty much any speaker will work with the 607.
post #1192 of 2595 Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Up to 1200 bucks. It is important that they are good with music also.
post #1193 of 2595 Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakja83 View Post

Up to 1200 bucks. It is important that they are good with music also.

Vanns.com has the Energy RC-10s (Cherry) for 1/2 price - $300 / pr vs $600 and free shipping. 3 prs of those (6.1) and a Bic F12 (or 2) from Beach audio for $198 w/ free shipping.

If you want towers up front then look at the package deals from The Speaker Company or wwstereo.com. I hear those Energy's are a steal at that price though.
post #1194 of 2595 Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM

I am now regretting my purchase of this receiver. It doesn't seem to have the Dynamic EQ offset setting to use for music and other material. Modern jazz music sounds fine, but other music like rock/pop, not so much.

Is my only choice to turn off Dynamic EQ for music listening? Do I need to turn off both options listed above, whenever I want to listen to music?
post #1195 of 2595 Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Anyone with any insight as to the 605/607 comparisons?
post #1196 of 2595 Old 11-13-2009, 09:21 AM

I appreciate any help on determining if the 607 has enough inputs for my current/planned set up. By reading many of the posts here, at just $400 at NewEgg, it seems too good to pass up as long as it can handle all my devises... Any tips on configuration are extremely appreciated.

Main toys:
Mitsubishi 82837 DLP (3 HDMI and 2 component on back)
2 Panasonic VIERA 32" tvs (3 HDMI & 2 compent on each back, I think)
Onkyo 607 Reciever (planned)
Logitech Harmony 1000 remote
*the two 32 inch tvs are about to be mounted above the 82" dlp on monoprice extened lcd wall-mounts. If these 2 tvs have ot be left out of the scenario, so be it (the audio from the speakers in these tvs is plenty loud), but would really like the ability to switch from one of the units using the HD signal from the Sat reciever to the DLP if Direct TV has a better show/game on. (NFL Tickket, etc.)

The input hungry family:
XBox360 (HDMI/Component capable)
PS3 (HDMI)
Wii (Component)
Macbook or future HTPC (HDMI and RCA audio)
2 TimeWarner Cable Boxes (HDMI/Component for both)(One box currently feeds into main DLP, second into one of the Panasonics)
Direct TV HD Reciever (HDMI/Component ?) (Has not been installed yet)

Cables:
Have plenty of both, and will buy what I lack from monoprice.

Again, mainly curious to verify the 607 with the 5 HDMI & 2 component inputs is enough for this cluster of stuff. Any tips on configuration is also super appreciated, but is secondary.

Thanks in advance!

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."
post #1197 of 2595 Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor74 View Post

I appreciate any help on determining if the 607 has enough inputs for my current/planned set up. By reading many of the posts here, at just $400 at NewEgg, it seems too good to pass up as long as it can handle all my devises... Any tips on configuration are extremely appreciated.

Main toys:
Mitsubishi 82837 DLP (3 HDMI and 2 component on back)
2 Panasonic VIERA 32" tvs (3 HDMI & 2 compent on each back, I think)
Onkyo 607 Reciever (planned)
Logitech Harmony 1000 remote
*the two 32 inch tvs are about to be mounted above the 82" dlp on monoprice extened lcd wall-mounts. If these 2 tvs have ot be left out of the scenario, so be it (the audio from the speakers in these tvs is plenty loud), but would really like the ability to switch from one of the units using the HD signal from the Sat reciever to the DLP if Direct TV has a better show/game on. (NFL Tickket, etc.)

The input hungry family:
XBox360 (HDMI/Component capable)
PS3 (HDMI)
Wii (Component)
Macbook or future HTPC (HDMI and RCA audio)
2 TimeWarner Cable Boxes (HDMI/Component for both)(One box currently feeds into main DLP, second into one of the Panasonics)
Direct TV HD Reciever (HDMI/Component ?) (Has not been installed yet)

Cables:
Have plenty of both, and will buy what I lack from monoprice.

Again, mainly curious to verify the 607 with the 5 HDMI & 2 component inputs is enough for this cluster of stuff. Any tips on configuration is also super appreciated, but is secondary.

Thanks in advance!

The 607 actually has 6 HDMI inputs if you count the one on the front, so you could hook all of the items you listed into HDMI, and the Wii into component. More curious though as to how you plan on getting the signal from the single HDMI out to 3 different devices? Were you planning on a HDMI switcher or something? Of course if you go that route, only 1 of the video devices could be active at any given time.
post #1198 of 2595 Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I noticed the 607 is a ridiculously low price w/free shipping at newegg....
post #1199 of 2595 Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:

The 607 actually has 6 HDMI inputs if you count the one on the front, so you could hook all of the items you listed into HDMI, and the Wii into component. More curious though as to how you plan on getting the signal from the single HDMI out to 3 different devices? Were you planning on a HDMI switcher or something? Of course if you go that route, only 1 of the video devices could be active at any given time.

I will not be having the 2 Panasonic tvs connected to the 607. Just the 82837 dlp. However i guess I will have to have some sort of switch for the Direct TV HD box.

Amazon now has is for $379 with possible Super Saver free shipping available. This is minus the bonus ipod cradle newegg is offering for $399.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."
post #1200 of 2595 Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngvebn View Post

I have a computer hooked up with a DVI-HDMI cable, and my Samsung L32R72B connected to the HDMI out. The tv's native resolution is 1360x768, and I am able to set my resolution on the PC to this exact resolution. It seems, however, the 607 is scaling the picture to extend the borders of my TV no matter what I choose. Even if I set screen resolution on my PC to 1280x720 (proper 720p), the picture becomes to large...

I've tried looking in the TV setup, and in the receiver setup, but can't seem to find a solution anywhere.
I was hoping that the Video-button on my remote would solve the issue, but all it does is display the message "Not Available" in the receiver-display..

(Xbox 360 with HDMI works just fine)

Anyone else have this problem?

try altering the TV's display format, between "unscaled" and "widescreen". One of the display formats should display correctly while the other one looks funny.

If all else fails, use your graphics card's software control panel to adjust screen area / overscan.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page