post #151 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderk15 View Post

I asked this question in the 606 thread too but I just want to be 100% positive...I am about to purchase this receiver and I was wondering does this have multi-zone capabilities? Say if I wanted to have a 5.1 set-up in my living room and another 2 speakers in my garage, could I set this up with this receiver without an another amp? I am pretty new to the whole receiver and audio world, so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

How is Onkyo getting away with a 7.2 spec on the 607?

2 sub pre-outs.
post #153 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Thank you, they have this unit online for about 375 and I am very close to biting!
post #154 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you, they have this unit online for about 375 and I am very close to biting!

I just bit..... too good a price to pass up.

Aaron
post #155 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you guys tell or PM where you got that price? That's really good.
post #156 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 PM

i had posted in the wrong location so here you go.

i bought mine yesterday from fry's in anaheim. so far i love it. i have a ps3, an xbox 360 , and directv connected to it. my speakers are energy C-5's for mains, center is an energy CC-1 and my rears are insignia b2111's . im running two subs a Mirage BPS150i, and a sony SWA 2500 for extra/light support and effect.

my previous av's were an old onkyo HTR 557 Htib, then i bought a used Yamaha HTR 5760 which i liked. I then purchased an onkyo tx sr 606 But i RETURNED it the next day. i really didn't notice to much diff. from my yamaha even with the the audio codecs ( DDtrue and DTS HDM). so i waited a bit and did some research. i was either going to pick up a pioneer 1019, or harmon kardon 354, i was really turned off by onkyo because of the 606. well fry's doesn't carry pioneer so i didn't pick that up, and they were all out of the 354, and the sales guy swore by the 607.

i decided to give it a shot. and man, it's great. set up for me was a breeze. i usually spend hours fine tuning if not a whole day, and i really had no need to other than maybe bringing down the bass 1db, it took me under an hour to be content, CRAZY. The one major thing i noticed apart from great surround sound was the sound/LFE my Mirage Sub is making now. it sounds so much cleaner and powerful than when i had it connected to the onkyo tx sr 606 not sure why. my rear surrounds the b2111's ( budget/poor man audiophile speakers) sound sooo much better as well, they are not distracting, but always there and clean sound comes out when they need to be heard but once again not overpowering - more like well balanced with the rest of the speakers. a testament i belive to the auto set up.

as far as sound goes, it's the best sound i've heard as of yet, but i haven't heard any of them 1-3000 dollar machines so take my opinion with a grain of salt. i read in a review it's compared to and chalenges the denon 3808i and that machine is $1600. and honestly i believe the sound is really nice.

i watched U5791, the Incredible Hulk, and Quarintine so far and man - IT PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE. to me thats a good thing. cause most of the time i look tired or frustrated and run tests and tests and mess with settings and so on and so on until i stop and say well " thats the best i can do" and then i watch a movie and im like " eh " . not the case yesterday let me tell you. fast set up and i was smiling.

apart from my PS3 and the new HDaudio codecs blowing my mind, my direct tv sounds better aswell ! as im wrighting this armageddon is playing and i have it set to only 19 and it sounds crazy good, and thats just regular old Dolby Digital. ( side note : make sure you enable Dolby Digital on your Direct tv box. i have an HD DVR and the tek didn't set that up right i watched tv for like a year before i saw that option under the menu.lol

anyways if your thinking of trying out the 607 do so. my only grip is it looks ugly and plain IMO. i also rather have the db type of volume and maybe speaker recognition on the display. it's just really plain. it actually looks kind of cheap and for some of you ballers out there it is, LOL. but i can't deny the sound. when it all comes to it. it's the reason why i got into this hobby. i want to watch movies at home as if im in a theater or close to it. and this does the job nicely. what good is looks if it doesn't sound as good. me and my wife watch American Idol , Lie , Lost , And 24. and enjoy movies , well me more than her, anyways they all sound Auwesome!

P.S. i dont' have it set up in 7.1 because of WAF. but i wanted to future proof.
whats crazy tho, is that on " Transformers" the part where the little guy throws that ninja star looking thing and it goes around the room. it sounded as if i did have speakers behind me it was cool :0)
post #157 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavochavo View Post

I just bit..... too good a price to pass up.

Aaron

Maybe I can get my fry's unit price matched O.O

Can someone give a link pls?
post #158 of 2595 Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

2 sub pre-outs.

there are alot of receivers and pre pros with 2 sub pre-outs some even have 2 center channel pre-outs. all a use 7.1
post #159 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great deal on the Onkyo TX-SR607. Only $374. My 605 somewhat failed (only one HDMI input working) so I decided to pick one up. Had Onecall price match.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...4693&t=1341053
post #160 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 12:59 AM

So, I've got a 720p TV and will be getting this receiver. What's the best way to hook a component output into the receiver and into the TV? I'd like to use one HDMI cable to the TV if that's possible.
post #161 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 01:02 AM

FYI I don't think the 607 will take a high definition component video signal and output it via HDMI. I tried with my Xbox 360 and ended up having to hook the component cable from the 360 directly to my TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post

Great deal on the Onkyo TX-SR607. My 605 somewhat failed (only one HDMI input working) so I decided to pick one up. Had Onecall price match.

holy crap and I just paid a bunch more for mine @ Amazon a couple weeks ago..
post #162 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 AM

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing this receiver for my father. However, I noticed that this has HDMI pass-through. Does this mean that I will have to use separate cables for video and audio (HDMI and optical)?? I am interested in this unit but I am also interested in keeping my cable clutter down... Thanks in advance.
post #163 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post

Great deal on the Onkyo TX-SR607. Only $374. My 605 somewhat failed (only one HDMI input working) so I decided to pick one up. Had Onecall price match.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...4693&t=1341053

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

holy crap and I just paid a bunch more for mine @ Amazon a couple weeks ago..

Awesome deal! I ordered the 607 from Amazon last week and it had not shipped yet, but they were preparing it to ship, so I couldn't cancel the order online. But I called them and they were able to cancel it. Sweet!
post #164 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 AM

Liked: 13
Well I picked up the 607 yesterday, upgrading from a 4 year old Onkyo TX SR573. The inputs on the 607 blow my 573 out of the water, however I am not having a good time setting this thing up.

1) The first option of selecting speaker impedance is not available to me. My speakers are rated at 8 ohms, so according to the manual I should select 6 ohms when in 'speaker settings, menu 2.1', however all i have to choose from is speaker type, power zone 2 and surr back/front high.

2) Although its not a fair comparison, I ran a blu ray test against my old 573, which could only decode DTS at best. My old 573 sounded fantastic and really immersed me in the content. After running audessy on the 607, it sounded OK. In DTS, it was similar, but in Dolby True HD it sounded awful. I was simply shocked by how quiet and muted everything sounded. Hopefully this is due to the speaker setup, although thats no walk in the park as those options don't work for me

3) The remote is simply awful. My 573 was packaged with a $100 Onkyo remote that seems to work from just about anywhere. The 607 remote must be 'deliberately' pointed at the receiver to work, and even when doing that it is unresponsive. I find myself always having to hit the receiver option on the remote to make it work.

4) Although only a pass through, my HD DVR from DirecTV now seems a little soft/blurred on the screen. Even my wife, who pays little attention to things like this, commented on how the screen looked a blurred.

Just early impressions, but so far I am unimpressed by what I have seen. I'll give it a few hours of tweaking, but i'm leaning towards a return at this moment in time.
post #165 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 AM

Phil,

1) The North American/Taiwan models don't support speakers with less than 6 ohm impedance (ref. page 43 of the manual).

2) How does it sound without any EQ? If it doesn't sound muted, then I'd try recalibrating Audyssey again. It could just be that Audyssey 2EQ doesn't offer enough in your scenario. I spent a fair amount of time yesterday going back-and-forth between Audyssey and 'Off', and while I noticed a slight "muting" effect, I realized just how "sparkly" my Athena Point 5s sound by default. In the end, I think I like Audyssey.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #166 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 View Post

Phil,

1) The North American/Taiwan models don't support speakers with less than 6 ohm impedance (ref. page 43 of the manual).

2) How does it sound without any EQ? If it doesn't sound muted, then I'd try recalibrating Audyssey again. It could just be that Audyssey 2EQ doesn't offer enough in your scenario. I spent a fair amount of time yesterday going back-and-forth between Audyssey and 'Off', and while I noticed a slight "muting" effect, I realized just how "sparkly" my Athena Point 5s sound by default. In the end, I think I like Audyssey.

Interesting, I am running Athena Point 5's too.

So with regards to 1, are you even able to select an option for speaker impedance, or is it removed from the menu?

Trying with Audyssey 2EQ off now, i'll let you know how it goes.

What frequency do you have your point 5's set to?
post #167 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 AM

phil,

if your speakers are rated 8 ohms you need not worry. i have the energy c5's. they are rated 8ohms, i didn't even look for a switch. i would check if i was using 4 or 6 ohm speakers tho. I'll look in the manual if you need more clarification

what audio settings are you using for your blue ray player. i have a ps3 and output audio via: Linear PCM. the difference between regular dts and true HD is substantial on my end.

and you are right about the remote. it is a bit unresponsive at times and you do have to point at it. but i use a harmony.

best of luck man.
post #168 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 AM

I don't have the option for speaker impedance. The manual is a little ambiguous, but my assumption is that the impedance option is unavailable on our models.

The Audyssey calibration set my crossovers as follows:
Fronts: 100hz
Center: 50hz
Surrounds: 70hz

However, the specs for the Point 5s don't support those crossovers, so I manually changed them to:
Fronts: 90hz
Center: 70hz
Surrounds: 90hz

I went with +10hz to what Athena says they're rated for.

My Old Setup
...new pics on the way...
post #169 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 View Post

I don't have the option for speaker impedance. The manual is a little ambiguous, but my assumption is that the impedance option is unavailable on our models.

The Audyssey calibration set my crossovers as follows:
Fronts: 100hz
Center: 50hz
Surrounds: 70hz

However, the specs for the Point 5s don't support those crossovers, so I manually changed them to:
Fronts: 90hz
Center: 70hz
Surrounds: 90hz

I went with +10hz to what Athena says they're rated for.

I've got the point5s also. They are rated down to 80hz - 3db.

You can go higher with the crossover frequencies than what Audyssey set without any any adverse effects on the filters it set.

I personally would go to 100 on all speakers and have in my system but 90 would work also. You'd likely tell little if any difference between 90 and 100 so try them both and see what you like best. Keep the fronts at 100 though since that's what Audyssey set.
post #170 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 08:09 AM

2 questions...

1. Can audio inputs be reassigned? I would like to hook my wii up thru component, however I would need to input the L and R audio to another input. Same with my computer. I would like to hook it up thru dvi to hdmi, but the audio would have to go thru another input due to dvi not carrying audio.

2. If I run everything thru 1 hdmi to the tv, cable box to receiver, would the tv work with the just the tv speakers with the onkyo on stand by, or would I need to turn the onkyo on? Can the older Yamaha's or any other receivers do this?
post #171 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 AM

I hope this is not a rash decision, but I think I will be returning my 607. I've played with the speaker settings for a good 4 to 5 hours (I know it can take weeks to get it fine tuned) but even so, I can't seem to get it to make the impact my TX SR573 made.

This is pretty sad, as I am comparing Dolby True HD to DD, yet the latter sounds better everytime. I simply hear more 'background' or 'small' sounds through the 573 than the 607. Furthermore, the remote is very unresponsive, I almost need to be 10ft from the unit and pointed directly at it for it to work. There are no obstructions, and my older Onkyo RC-632M remote from the 573 works all around the living room with it.

Disappointed and mad that I now have to re-run all my component cables behind the TV for the 573 - I wish I'd never bought the thing as its wasted my weekend! Argh!!
post #172 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Ahhh..just snatched one at $374 shipped via 6thAve...so sweet!
post #173 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanorge View Post

phil,

if your speakers are rated 8 ohms you need not worry. i have the energy c5's. they are rated 8ohms, i didn't even look for a switch. i would check if i was using 4 or 6 ohm speakers tho. I'll look in the manual if you need more clarification

what audio settings are you using for your blue ray player. i have a ps3 and output audio via: Linear PCM. the difference between regular dts and true HD is substantial on my end.

and you are right about the remote. it is a bit unresponsive at times and you do have to point at it. but i use a harmony.

best of luck man.

I also run BR using a PS3. I set the PS3 to output via Linear PCM, and when playing movies pressed the display button to confirm it was playing in true HD, which it was, at approx 4mbps. I hooked my 573 back up now and its working as good as ever, but feel I need to give the 607 a full chance. It should easily keep up with my 573 in all scenarios.
post #174 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a great price from 6thAve. Are they a good place to buy from? Do they charge for shipping? I usually buy from Amazon.

Also, does anyone know how long the deal is good for?
post #175 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

That's a great price from 6thAve. Are they a good place to buy from? Do they charge for shipping? I usually buy from Amazon.

Not sure how long the deal is good for, but I ordered one today and they don't charge shipping. However, since I saved so much money after canceling my Amazon order, I decided to go with the 2-day shipping anyway (and still saved about $80!
post #176 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelaine View Post

Not sure how long the deal is good for, but I ordered one today and they don't charge shipping. However, since I saved so much money after canceling my Amazon order, I decided to go with the 2-day shipping anyway (and still saved about $80!

Thanks, I was just on the site and saw there is a free shipping option. However, they do charge tax. At least for me they did and I'm in NJ.
post #177 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ordered mine this morning, thanks for the post.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #178 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

According to techbargains.com it ends May 19th. I've bought from 6ave before and they are great. I have their credit card and just bought a 67" DLP from them. I got a RX-V1800 for $899 2 years ago. Great service.

Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2ch Home Theater Receiver (6 HDMI, HDMI Upconversion) $374.25 Free Shipping, May. 10 5 AM

6ave.com has the Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2ch 90W/ch Home Theater Receiver for a low $374.25 after 25% off Coupon Code: AFLAUD25 (Exp 5/19). Free Shipping. Tax in NJ, NY.

This is a NEW 2009 model release. New features include:

* 6 HDMI inputs
* analog-to-HDMI upconversion
* Dolby Pro Logic IIz (simulates 5.1 to 7.1, 7.1 to 9.1) Official Info
* two subwoofer outputs

Compare Prices | Email Deal | Home Theater System Deals | 6ave.com Coupons | Comment
post #179 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Just picked one up too, hopefully I made the right choice on the receiver!
post #180 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 03:36 PM

i got one and then realized i probably should have gotten the tx-sr606 for the analogue input...i have a xtrememusic and it'd be nice if i can output multi channel sounds from it to the receiver during game...anyone know if there is a way to do that without analogue inputs?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page