post #181 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyj8tim View Post

i got one and then realized i probably should have gotten the tx-sr606 for the analogue input...i have a xtrememusic and it'd be nice if i can output multi channel sounds from it to the receiver during game...anyone know if there is a way to do that without analogue inputs?

Digital coax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have any detailed thoughts on up conversion quality? My issue is the Wii at 480p. The six HDMI inputs seem awesome - I was worried about the limited HDMI inputs in previous generations.

I'll have TiVo HD (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), 360 (component+optical), Wii (480p component+phono) and AppleTV or whatver home-network oriented STB I end up getting.

The 6ave deal looks great. Part of me says hold out and see what the 707 offers, but this 607 is just about everything I need it to do - inputs, HD audio, etc. All its missing is network connectivity, and even then my PS3 can do most of that stuff.
post #183 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM

According to page 16 of the manual , you can only use 7 speakers at a time, as another poster noted a few days ago. If that is the case, and you have a 7.1 setup, then PLIIz is completely useless. I'd rather use the rear surrounds for PLIIx to get 7.1 out of 5.1 material. The only real advantage is if your room won't fit surround back speakers and you can use the Front Highs to create a little more ambiance (a la Yamaha Presence speakers). Is this really the case? Can you hook up 9 speakers and switch between rear surrounds and front highs depending on your source material?

I'm debating about getting one of these for our fire station (we all pitched in for new equipment). I got a Yamaha RX-V663 for $323. The 607 is smoking deal @ $375, but paying $50 more for HDMI inputs we don't need doesn't seem worth it.
post #184 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Digital coax?

I've got an Xtrememusic as well, and I never could get multi-channel surround from games over the digital coax output. At one point I looked into it and tinkered with a program called ASIO4ALL, but to no avail.

I think the underlying issue is that the Xtrememusic doesn't encode to Dolby Digital on-the-fly (I'm pretty sure it can do passthrough from a DVD, however). It's been over a year since I messed with it, so there could very well be updated drivers that have been released.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...new pics on the way...
post #185 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Those of you who have this, and particularly to anyone who has also heard or used something with Audyssey MultiEQ (regular or XT):

Is the Audyssey 2EQ sufficient, or do you find that the lower resolution filters and lack of subwoofer correction is a significant shortcoming? I'll be coming from a receiver with no room correction at all, so 2EQ should be a step forward for me. However, if MultiEQ (regular or XT) really does yield a noticeably better result, I'm willing to wait for the 707 or whatever new Onkyo has it (or one of the new Denons).
post #186 of 2595 Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

Does anyone have any detailed thoughts on up conversion quality? My issue is the Wii at 480p. The six HDMI inputs seem awesome - I was worried about the limited HDMI inputs in previous generations.

I have my 607 upconverting my Wii and Dreamcast and it's doing a better job of it than my Sony Bravia W-series TV used to. I'm sure the 876 does a much better job but this is good enough for me.
post #187 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 AM

http://www.6ave.com/shop/SearchResults.aspx?kwd=sr607

The Onkyo TX-SR607 available at the above link for $374.25 (free shipping)

Just add the item to your cart, enter coupon code "AFLAUD25" and the adjusted price will show.
post #188 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMailMan View Post

http://www.6ave.com/shop/SearchResults.aspx?kwd=sr607

The Onkyo TX-SR607 available at the above link for $374.25 (free shipping)

Just add the item to your cart, enter coupon code "AFLAUD25" and the adjusted price will show.

old news now.
post #189 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 AM

I think that in order to really form a good opinion about Audyssey, my ears are going to need a little "training". When I get some time, I plan on sitting down at the computer with my Sennheiser HD650s & iBasso D1 and tweaking Winamp's EQ. I'm going to pay attention to the highs at +1 to +2dB, and then bring them back down between -1 to 0dB. I realize the HD650s are known for being "smooth" and "warm", but they're the closest to 'reference' that I've got.

I have a feeling that switching Audyssey from off to on is giving me the false sensation that the sound is being muted, when it's probably just bringing the highs under control. Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #190 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 View Post

I think that in order to really form a good opinion about Audyssey, my ears are going to need a little "training". When I get some time, I plan on sitting down at the computer with my Sennheiser HD650s & iBasso D1 and tweaking Winamp's EQ. I'm going to pay attention to the highs at +1 to +2dB, and then bring them back down between -1 to 0dB. I realize the HD650s are known for being "smooth" and "warm", but they're the closest to 'reference' that I've got.

I have a feeling that switching Audyssey from off to on is giving me the false sensation that the sound is being muted, when it's probably just bringing the highs under control. Any thoughts?

I would tend to agree with you that it sounds muted. While I doubted the receiver, I believe my ears probably need a little training too. However, I was just disappointed with True HD and how quiet/soft it sounded compared to DD EX.

I believe the setup was very incorrect on my speakers too, first of at 40-50Hz for the fronts and center. I believe they should be 80Hz as that is what they are rated too.
post #191 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Just got J&R to price match the 607 for 374.25 shipped. It took me a couple of times of calling because the 6ave.com is currently showing out of stock (21 days) the guy also told me that they are 300 units backordered. They aren't supposed to price match items that are out of stock, but this gentleman was nice enough to. Send me a PM if you want his extention.
post #192 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

FYI I don't think the 607 will take a high definition component video signal and output it via HDMI. I tried with my Xbox 360 and ended up having to hook the component cable from the 360 directly to my TV.

Well that sucks. I was really hoping it would.

Question, does anyone know of a similar receiver that will allow me to run component in (Xbox 360) to HDMI out (projector)?

I have everything else (ps3, VIP 622) running HDMI to my receiver and it's a pain to switch the projector to component just for the 360.

post #193 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

I have my 607 upconverting my Wii and Dreamcast and it's doing a better job of it than my Sony Bravia W-series TV used to. I'm sure the 876 does a much better job but this is good enough for me.

Upconverting it to what? More then 480p? If you hook it up thru component and reassign an audio input to it, then it is already at 480p.
post #194 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Reading the manual, it says the 607 will upconvert component inputs and output them to HDMI. Does this mean it'll take a 720p signal and make it 1080i? That would kinda suck.

Also, bummer that when you turn on HDMI-Audio-Out it turns off all AV speakers except the front 2.

Can't link the manual since I don't have 3 posts ;P
post #195 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm debating on the 6th ave. deal. New Denon's got announced today and look very attractive. Might wait to see what these look like.
post #196 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda View Post

I'm debating on the 6th ave. deal. New Denon's got announced today and look very attractive. Might wait to see what these look like.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I was all set to get the Onkyo TX-SR607 and then saw that announcement today from Denon. People seem to really like those Denon's, however they also don't seem to be as user-friendly as the Onykos. This could be important, because I want something that's not going to frustrate my wife.

Also, my current HT receiver just died, and I really don't want to wait until June to replace it. I may just roll with the 607. It seems like a good unit and I doubt I'd be disappointed in the decision to go ahead.

Does anyone who currently have a 607 have anything to say that might push me one way or the other? I'd be using it primarily for movies & video games (360 & PS3), then tv, and lastly music. Video conversion I don't care about, because my tv does that. I'd be using the HDMI on pass-through.

Also, is anyone using a dual-subwoofer configuration with theirs? I have a 5.1 setup now, but noticed NewEgg is offering a free Polk sub with the 607 currently, so I may go that route and add a second sub. I'll need to add two more speakers for the sides, too.

Thanks for any input you can offer.
post #197 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Does the 607 matrix PCM, or is this still reserved for 7 series and higher?
post #198 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Phil,

I was able to give my ears a bit of a workout tonight, and it was definitely a learning experience.

My "workout" setup consisted of:
1. Various mp3s (192 kbps up to 320kbps VBR)
2. Winamp (100% volume)
3. Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic (bit-matched playback & 96 kHz up-sampling)
4. Digital Coax output
5. iBasso D1 DAC/headphone amp
6. Sennheiser HD650

For each song, I began with a flat EQ and then enabled Winamp's EQ. I would begin with its preset EQ setting named "Live" and slowly boost the 12-16k bands until it looked like this. My intent was to make the adjustments gradually so that I wouldn't notice the changes. This eventual EQ setting is similar to how my home theater sounds with Audyssey off.

After I was used to this EQ in Winamp, I would then turn it off, going back to a flat EQ. The song would sound muted (like turning Audyssey on) - it was as if I had completely forgotten how it sounded before I enabled the "Live" EQ preset and began the gradual shift in the 12-16k range.

The final step for each song would be to once again enable the EQ to the "Live"-modified EQ. Wow, talk about harsh. It was similar to FM radio on a small stereo. To think that I was originally able to creep up to this setting and grow accustomed to it was beyond belief.

So, where am I going with all of this? I'm more confident that Audyssey is performing as it should, and that my setup is naturally inclined to boost the midrange and extreme highs, while sounding a little anemic in the low-end. If you are able, I would recommend performing a similar test to see if you notice similar results.

[my HT consists of the Onkyo TX-SR607, Athena Point 5 MK IIs, and SVS 20-39PCi]

post #199 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

think i have a problem with mine. with the remote vol. works, selecting input works, ie. dvd, cab/sat., etc.,but nothing else. can not get into set-up, switch listening modes, you name it. it worked yesterday. is there anything i could have pushed that could have caused this?
post #200 of 2595 Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

think i have a problem with mine. with the remote vol. works, selecting input works, ie. dvd, cab/sat., etc.,but nothing else. can not get into set-up, switch listening modes, you name it. it worked yesterday. is there anything i could have pushed that could have caused this?

Stupid answer, but press receiver, then press setup etc.

Chances could be that you reprogrammed the remote for some other device? if that's the case, i'd call onkyo to find out if you can reset it.
post #201 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post

Stupid answer, but press receiver, then press setup etc.

Chances could be that you reprogrammed the remote for some other device? if that's the case, i'd call onkyo to find out if you can reset it.

yes thats what it was, thanks.
other then that it is working perfect for where i want it. i have in a perfect room, with efficient speakers.
post #202 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 AM

I'm about to push the button on the 6th Ave. deal. Before I do, can anyone confirm that they are shipping units with US warranties, not gray market units?
post #203 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc180 View Post

I'm about to push the button on the 6th Ave. deal. Before I do, can anyone confirm that they are shipping units with US warranties, not gray market units?

They are shipping with US warranties. Just go to Onkyo website and look at the authorized resellers list. They are on it.
post #204 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 AM

So, I got an HDTV, a blu-ray player, and a regular Phililps HTIB...been looking forward to getting the Onkyo S6100 HTIB, but the price hasn't been right (and when it was, my checkbook wasn't right)...so few days ago noticed the thread on this unit being around $375.

So if I buy this, can you recommend any good speakers (7.1) in the range of $200-$300? I don't have a big room, but I also don't want to get some cheap speakers that won't take full advantage of the receiver.

Also, who can actually confirm about the system being able to play 9.2 channels, which means the 7.2 plus the PLIIz at the same time...?

I would really appreciate your help, since my Philips HTIB isn't doing any justice to my blu-ray movies purchases anymore...Thanks!
post #205 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by protox82 View Post

They are shipping with US warranties. Just go to Onkyo website and look at the authorized resellers list. They are on it.

I recall some issue in the past about 6ave offering equipment in their physical store with warranty but not when that equipment was sold over the net. So maybe that doesn't quite settle the matter, unless Onkyo authorizes 6ave specifically for sales over the net.

Greg Lee
post #206 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I recall some issue in the past about 6ave offering equipment in their physical store with warranty but not when that equipment was sold over the net. So maybe that doesn't quite settle the matter, unless Onkyo authorizes 6ave specifically for sales over the net.

It appears that Onkyo does specifically authorize 6th Ave. for internet sales:

www(dot)onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm
(Being a newbie here, I'm not allowed to post real URLs.)

Thanks to all for the help in finding this receiver at a great price.
post #207 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 View Post

Phil,

I was able to give my ears a bit of a workout tonight, and it was definitely a learning experience.

My "workout" setup consisted of:
1. Various mp3s (192 kbps up to 320kbps VBR)
2. Winamp (100% volume)
3. Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic (bit-matched playback & 96 kHz up-sampling)
4. Digital Coax output
5. iBasso D1 DAC/headphone amp
6. Sennheiser HD650

For each song, I began with a flat EQ and then enabled Winamp's EQ. I would begin with its preset EQ setting named "Live" and slowly boost the 12-16k bands until it looked like this. My intent was to make the adjustments gradually so that I wouldn't notice the changes. This eventual EQ setting is similar to how my home theater sounds with Audyssey off.

After I was used to this EQ in Winamp, I would then turn it off, going back to a flat EQ. The song would sound muted (like turning Audyssey on) - it was as if I had completely forgotten how it sounded before I enabled the "Live" EQ preset and began the gradual shift in the 12-16k range.

The final step for each song would be to once again enable the EQ to the "Live"-modified EQ. Wow, talk about harsh. It was similar to FM radio on a small stereo. To think that I was originally able to creep up to this setting and grow accustomed to it was beyond belief.

So, where am I going with all of this? I'm more confident that Audyssey is performing as it should, and that my setup is naturally inclined to boost the midrange and extreme highs, while sounding a little anemic in the low-end. If you are able, I would recommend performing a similar test to see if you notice similar results.

[my HT consists of the Onkyo TX-SR607, Athena Point 5 MK IIs, and SVS 20-39PCi]

While my testing was not quite as extensive, I came to the same conclusion that Audyssey was performing as it should. It just became a re-education for my ears. I spent significant time configuring my speakers and the end result was great sound; however I'm not sold it was $400 better than what I currently have.

I continue to have remote problems (due to location of the receiver and distance away); an issue that was not present with my other Onkyo remote.

I'm really on the fence at the moment. While I don't know the specs of the 707, I assume it will have multi EQ and 100W per channel, and a higher grade remote. Is all this worth $300 more than the 607; probably not to most, but to me I think it is. With the 607 I will always feel I bought for a great price, but rushed into buying it without waiting for the 707, which was my original plan.

Regardless of my impressions, the 607 is a fantastic piece of equipment. I also have the opportunity to buy the 806 for $650, which is tempting at this time.
post #208 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

yes thats what it was, thanks.
other then that it is working perfect for where i want it. i have in a perfect room, with efficient speakers.

I saw this in an earlier post but wanted to doublecheck that you get overlay of OSD from HDMI sources. Can anyone verify this for me?

TIA.
post #209 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

So, I've got a 720p TV and will be getting this receiver. What's the best way to hook a component output into the receiver and into the TV? I'd like to use one HDMI cable to the TV if that's possible.

Can someone who has one confirm if this works or not? Manual says it can output component inputs over HDMI. Can anyone test this and see if it works with a 720p signal?
post #210 of 2595 Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

Regardless of my impressions, the 607 is a fantastic piece of equipment. I also have the opportunity to buy the 806 for $650, which is tempting at this time.

Where is the 806 for $650? New Denon's just announce. Pretty attractive prices as well and their 09 models will be dropping.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page