post #2223 of 2595 Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOnk607 View Post

Just ran Audessey with my equipment below and had some questions....
1)Does adding another sub(ESW-8)to a 5.1 setup make a difference?
2)Here are the settings Audessey did for my speakers
Frts,Center,and Surrounds at 40hz. LPE at 100hz. Is this normal??
3)the level calibration was set as..
Left -6.0db
Center -8.0db
Right-7.0db
SR-5.0db
SL-5.0db
Sub-15.0db...I set it to -2.0db
Again, are these normal settings?? The bass just didnt seem "booming"to me compared to my ESW-8... Any advice is appreciated and Thanks for helping a newbie...

1) Depends on whether your current sub is able to pressurize the room, but in general, adding a 2nd sub means you have more headroom and the 1st sub doesn't have to work as hard. If you can fit it in, I'd say go for it.

2) Audessey also set my fronts and center at 40hz, I bumped them up to 80. I don't remember what it set the sub to.

3) Level calibration is going to be different for everyone as it is dependent on the location of each speakers in relation to where the microphone was placed, as well as room interactions, speaker efficiency, etc. Generally Audessey does a good job with this. As far as the sub being set to -15db, do you have a SPL meter? Most likely you have the gain on the sub turned up too high as -15db is the max the receiver can reduce the signal. I'd suggest getting a SPL meter (can pick them up at radio shack) and properly calibrate the sub level. Then rerun Audyessey and see what it comes up with. You may initially feel that you're missing the bass, but if you properly calibrate it, you'll be hearing what was intended.
post #2224 of 2595 Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this is a receiver set-up issue or the Uverse box itself. Here is my set-up.

Onkyo TX-SR607
Uverse (Moto 1216)
Toshiba DLP 56HM66
Logitech 880

Uverse is connected via 2 different connection methods. 1st connect (via HDMI) is being sent to Onkyo receiver cable in and then sent back out to television via HDMI out.

Second connection (when wife wants quiet time ) I have a component cable fed directly from Uverse box to component in hookup on Toshiba television. Audio being sent via standard RCA cable for second option.

When I am watching television using the 1st connection (via Onkyo receiver) and then change over to to the component connection (avoiding receiver) the aspect ratio on the Uverse box resets back to 480P.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Workarounds?

Thanks - Boo
post #2225 of 2595 Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 PM

2 questions:
1) Netflix and 607 audio setting = Say if I'm watching an HD quality episode of 24. What setting should I choose for listening?

2) When I choose a setting, I always have to go back and push the audio button on the remote and increase the subwoofer dB and center channel dB. Seems like the dB settings (sub and center) always revert to the default settings. How do I keep the settings I want/change to.

tia
post #2226 of 2595 Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM

i about to buy a receiver... which one is better... yamaha rx-v663 or 667 or the onkyo tx-sr607 i been all around the forums and i havent decided yet.. thanks a lot
post #2227 of 2595 Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM

just set up my onkyo tx-sr607 today. since i'm a home audio noob, i realize this receiver has hdmi pass through but the receiver has to be on for this setting to work. is there any way i can listen to the tv speakers without the receiver being on? i still don't have my sub set up yet so i'd prefer to just use the tv speakers for the next few days because i know this receiver can run hot at times. any help is appreciated. thanks!
post #2228 of 2595 Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

just set up my onkyo tx-sr607 today. since i'm a home audio noob, i realize this receiver has hdmi pass through but the receiver has to be on for this setting to work. is there any way i can listen to the tv speakers without the receiver being on? i still don't have my sub set up yet so i'd prefer to just use the tv speakers for the next few days because i know this receiver can run hot at times. any help is appreciated. thanks!

Hi kyle, for HDMI pass through set HDMI Control and Audio Tv Out to On.
Then select your HDMI Input source and turn receiver Off (Standby).
post #2229 of 2595 Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM

ok so just got my 607 and boston acoustics VR1's and VRC set up last night. Works great! Got it doing everything i could want it too! So 3.0 just for reference.

My only question is on the displaying what the audio is and listening modes. i have most of my movies ripped with DTS audio. My pc is hooked up to the receiver by hdmi cable for video and digital optical just for reference.

Is the default of "DVD all Channel Stereo" ok? When in this mode it shows PCM for audio input as well. Now if i change it to"DVD Surr Sens C" it shows PCM but also has a red DTS box show up. Also Neo:6 pops up as well.

Basically im just confused by what all this means. Is there really a difference in full stereo vs neo:6?

Thanks in advanced

PSN- Velillen
post #2230 of 2595 Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

ok so just got my 607 and boston acoustics VR1's and VRC set up last night. Works great! Got it doing everything i could want it too! So 3.0 just for reference.

My only question is on the displaying what the audio is and listening modes. i have most of my movies ripped with DTS audio. My pc is hooked up to the receiver by hdmi cable for video and digital optical just for reference.

Is the default of "DVD all Channel Stereo" ok? When in this mode it shows PCM for audio input as well. Now if i change it to"DVD Surr Sens C" it shows PCM but also has a red DTS box show up. Also Neo:6 pops up as well.

Basically im just confused by what all this means. Is there really a difference in full stereo vs neo:6?

Thanks in advanced

I think neo:6 is for emulating surround with a 2/2.1 channel input. If you have DTS going in to the receiver, you probably want to select DTS. I think the best you can do over optical is Dolby-5.1, or AC3. Why don't you use your HDMI to transmit the audio as well?
post #2231 of 2595 Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Does this RX support 3D over HDMI?
post #2232 of 2595 Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

I think neo:6 is for emulating surround with a 2/2.1 channel input. If you have DTS going in to the receiver, you probably want to select DTS. I think the best you can do over optical is Dolby-5.1, or AC3. Why don't you use your HDMI to transmit the audio as well?

cause video card doesnt support it. I've been just using the Dvd all channel stereo

Kin dof an update. i realize dmy ps3 was only set to output 2.1 audio. That was the problem on that side of things. Once i enbaled all the HD options i was able to get "multichannel" option and that sounds wonderful. I was impressed with all channel stereo and the neo:6 but multichannel is even better

Now for my pc to reciever...i have it hooked up for video via dvi-hdmi cable. Audio is via digital optical out (toslink). For some reason i dont get the multichannel option for listening mode even when i know for sure the video has 5.1 DTS audio track. hmmm might have ot post to the htpc thread unless anyone has an option. I have an ASUS !8N premium mobo and nvidia 8600gt GPU.

PSN- Velillen
post #2233 of 2595 Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

cause video card doesnt support it. I've been just using the Dvd all channel stereo

Kin dof an update. i realize dmy ps3 was only set to output 2.1 audio. That was the problem on that side of things. Once i enbaled all the HD options i was able to get "multichannel" option and that sounds wonderful. I was impressed with all channel stereo and the neo:6 but multichannel is even better

Now for my pc to reciever...i have it hooked up for video via dvi-hdmi cable. Audio is via digital optical out (toslink). For some reason i dont get the multichannel option for listening mode even when i know for sure the video has 5.1 DTS audio track. hmmm might have ot post to the htpc thread unless anyone has an option. I have an ASUS !8N premium mobo and nvidia 8600gt GPU.

You CANNOT do DTS over optical. Trust me, I banged my head against that for quite a while. You MUST convert to AC3/Dolby 5.1 in order to get surround sound out of optical. Your best bet would be to spend at most $50 and get a gfx card that has an HDMI output on it.
post #2234 of 2595 Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You CANNOT do DTS over optical. Trust me, I banged my head against that for quite a while. You MUST convert to AC3/Dolby 5.1 in order to get surround sound out of optical. Your best bet would be to spend at most $50 and get a gfx card that has an HDMI output on it.

Are you saying with the 607 you can't do DTS over optical or in general? Because I did DTS over optical for years to my old Outlaw 1050 receiver. When I changed to the 607 I started using HDMI so have never tried it over optical, but in general I don't see why it wouldn't work?
post #2235 of 2595 Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I was afraid that was the case. Even Swordfish which is the movie i have with AC3 still doesn't offer "multichannel" so might just go ahead and buy a new video card with straight hdmi output and on board hardware processing.

update- i played around a lot more today codec wise. I had been using ffdshow for audio output. Upon setting it to all sorts of things besides the default i had issues. Couldnt get voices to be loud but explosions were normal. Meh whatever. Installed ac3filter, clicked the enable spidf and viola my receiver recognizes DTS audio. Also fro swordfish which is ac3 is has dolby digital as a listening mode. Pretty much fixed my problems so new video card isnt needed hooray!

PSN- Velillen
post #2236 of 2595 Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM

i tried looking through this thread but couldn't find the answer so sorry if it's a repost, but this receiver has numerous listening modes. what listening mode should i have on when watching cable tv movies and shows? I have my game mode for xbox 360 on dolby digital 5.1 but am confused as to what sound is appropriate for tv/movies. thanks in advance!
post #2237 of 2595 Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry you guys are right, you can do Dolby Digital/AC3 and DTS over optical... compressed digital audio formats basically. I also ended up with ac3filter as opposed to ffdshow, and it is hands down superior. I believe you can even set it to remux HD audio sources to AC3!
post #2238 of 2595 Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Why would you want to remux HD audio to AC3? isnt that a downgrade? Oo

Just odd used ffdshow for the last 3 or 4 years and not had problems with audio. Then today i find out its whats holding me back. o well gla di fixed this...free is better than spending more money

PSN- Velillen
post #2239 of 2595 Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why would you want to remux HD audio to AC3? isnt that a downgrade? Oo

Just odd used ffdshow for the last 3 or 4 years and not had problems with audio. Then today i find out its whats holding me back. o well gla di fixed this...free is better than spending more money

You cant transport HD audio via optical, so decoding and remuxing to AC3 is about as good as it will get.
post #2240 of 2595 Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Hey, guys, I know this is an incredibly newb question, but for the life of me I can't seem to find an answer to it that makes sense or is simple enough for me to get. I have a PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR607 via HDMI. The PS3 is set to output its audio on an AUTOMATIC setting, meaning that it'll determine what to output. But, I don't know if I've set my Onkyo on the right setting to output everything to its best setting. I believe I heard that it will automatically do that, but in the midst of all my fussings with it I'm afraid it might now.

Can anyone help this poor idiot out?
post #2241 of 2595 Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Liked: 26
Hello fellow 607 owners...I have a simple question (Hopefully). I have this receiver as part of my main home theater. I am streaming mp3's to it from my PS3 for music. I have an SVS 5.1 speaker set with one of their monster subs.

Here is the issue/question. Can I get stereo mixed mp3s to engage the sub woofer on this system? My music sounds kind of, weak. The connection is via HDMI from the PS3.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, BTW, my crossover settings for the speakers are 80 for the fronts/center and 90 for the surrounds. And, in case you ask, yes the sub kicks in fine with Blu Rays from the same PS3.
post #2242 of 2595 Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMacumber View Post

Hey, guys, I know this is an incredibly newb question, but for the life of me I can't seem to find an answer to it that makes sense or is simple enough for me to get. I have a PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR607 via HDMI. The PS3 is set to output its audio on an AUTOMATIC setting, meaning that it'll determine what to output. But, I don't know if I've set my Onkyo on the right setting to output everything to its best setting. I believe I heard that it will automatically do that, but in the midst of all my fussings with it I'm afraid it might now.

Can anyone help this poor idiot out?

It's really depending how many speakers do you have in your setup. The listening modes can be set to many different modes depending the sound format coming from the PS3. And the available modes will be determined by the number speakers that you have (2.1, 5.1, 6.1,...). If you describe your setup in details, I'm sure some of the 607 owners will be able to help.
post #2243 of 2595 Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

Hello fellow 607 owners...I have a simple question (Hopefully). I have this receiver as part of my main home theater. I am streaming mp3's to it from my PS3 for music. I have an SVS 5.1 speaker set with one of their monster subs.

Here is the issue/question. Can I get stereo mixed mp3s to engage the sub woofer on this system? My music sounds kind of, weak. The connection is via HDMI from the PS3.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, BTW, my crossover settings for the speakers are 80 for the fronts/center and 90 for the surrounds. And, in case you ask, yes the sub kicks in fine with Blu Rays from the same PS3.

MP3s will be coming over as PCM (2 channels). So I would set the listening mode for the PS3 source to use Surround Sensation when the format is PCM (iirc this option is at the top of the screen), if you want to hear more bass. But I would not expect much because there might not be lot of bass for the 607 to route to your sub.
post #2244 of 2595 Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm having a problem that I *think* has something to do with an HDMI handshake issue on my receiver.

I have a Mitsubishi DLP 73738 just got delivered on monday.

The problem is after I turn the TV off, once I go to turn it back on, it doesn't want to pick up a signal from the HDMI port. I have several HDMI devices going to the Onkyo SR607 receiver, and a single HDMI cable feeding the Mits.

Once it finds the HDMI signal, I just get black screen with the occasional flicker of a white line. While I'm doing this I can still see the menus just fine and I can even load up the Vudu apps and watch anything there just fine. Switching to Ant gives me snow, if I switch back to HDMI the same black screen shows up. Changing to various devices (Tivo HD, Xbox 360, PS3, Cinematube) which are also connected to the receiver via HDMI does nothing, just a flash of blue and then back to the black screen with occasional white line flicker.

If I unplug the TV and then power it back on, it will work again. I've also found that if I go to the menu and do a factory reset, the HDMI begins working again, but of course all my settings are lost. I've tried turning off the CEC on both the TV and receiver and still no luck. I've also tried all 3 HDMI inputs on the TV with the same results.

For the record this TV replaced a Toshiba 42" LCD, which would occasionally start up with just a black screen. I thought the TV was just a POS since I would turn it off and back on and the picture would usually come back up. However, now that this new TV is having a very similar issue, I think the problem has to be with the receiver.

Any help is appreciated.
post #2245 of 2595 Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? My guess would be that the TV's HDMI board is going out. If you get adventurous, and your TV is out of warranty, you can pop it open and check for bad capacitors. They are pretty easy to spot and a common cause of failure.... and they are pretty easy to replace as well!
post #2246 of 2595 Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? My guess would be that the TV's HDMI board is going out. If you get adventurous, and your TV is out of warranty, you can pop it open and check for bad capacitors. They are pretty easy to spot and a common cause of failure.... and they are pretty easy to replace as well!

I just ordered some new cables from Monoprice so hopefully that will help.

You seem to think that the problem lies with the TV, which may be the case, but I was more inclined to think it was a problem with the Onkyo since this is the second TV that has had this problem.

Any thoughts on that?
post #2247 of 2595 Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtonbear View Post

I just ordered some new cables from Monoprice so hopefully that will help.

You seem to think that the problem lies with the TV, which may be the case, but I was more inclined to think it was a problem with the Onkyo since this is the second TV that has had this problem.

Any thoughts on that?

Try bypassing the receiver altogether with one of your devices that you know you see this problem with. If it doesn't occur anymore, then you can be pretty sure it's the receiver's fault. Is your receiver still under warranty?
post #2248 of 2595 Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM

i just got my receiver back for the 4th time (first time was within first 30 days). if i have problems again, is onkyo known to exchange for a different model? mine is now out of warranty period. this last repair took 59 days!
post #2249 of 2595 Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalnoise View Post

i just got my receiver back for the 4th time (first time was within first 30 days). if i have problems again, is onkyo known to exchange for a different model? mine is now out of warranty period. this last repair took 59 days!

As long as you experience the same issue as you were when it was under warranty, Onkyo is legally obligated to either repair or replace the unit. I think they will probably do whatever is cheaper for them.
post #2250 of 2595 Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM

the first repair was because one of the speaker outputs was causing a popping noise from the speaker. but the last 3 times i have sent it in is for the same "problem" and it's already showing signs of occuring again . intermittent video dropouts. eventually i expect some of the inputs will stop working unless certain connected devices are on at the same time. i believe it is an hdmi handshake issue between my tv (panasonic th-42pz85u) and the receiver but onkyo has continued to dismiss that idea. i have tried different cables and connecting the devices to different inputs. so frustrating!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page