post #2251 of 2595 Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalnoise View Post

the first repair was because one of the speaker outputs was causing a popping noise from the speaker. but the last 3 times i have sent it in is for the same "problem" and it's already showing signs of occuring again . intermittent video dropouts. eventually i expect some of the inputs will stop working unless certain connected devices are on at the same time. i believe it is an hdmi handshake issue between my tv (panasonic th-42pz85u) and the receiver but onkyo has continued to dismiss that idea. i have tried different cables and connecting the devices to different inputs. so frustrating!!

The 606 had a HUGE problem with the HDMI boards, and they eventually upgraded me to a 607 because they couldn't replace the HDMI boards fast enough to keep up with demand, and even when they did the problems persisted. Hopefully that's not the issue with yours but it could be since the designs are very similar. Maybe they replaced your HDMI board with a 606 board the first time you sent it in?

When they fixed your rx, how did they describe the work that they did... ie, what did they "fix"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2595 Old 10-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

The 606 had a HUGE problem with the HDMI boards, and they eventually upgraded me to a 607 because they couldn't replace the HDMI boards fast enough to keep up with demand, and even when they did the problems persisted. Hopefully that's not the issue with yours but it could be since the designs are very similar. Maybe they replaced your HDMI board with a 606 board the first time you sent it in?

When they fixed your rx, how did they describe the work that they did... ie, what did they "fix"?

repair #1: replaced ic
repair #2: replaced pc board assembly
repair #3: replaced pc board assembly, replaced ic.

invoice #2 parts says "hdmi dsp pcb"
looking at the invoice for #3 (most recent i just got back), it has 2 lines for the parts they used. one line says "hdmi dsp pcb" and line 2 says "i.c. micon txsr606"
post #2253 of 2595 Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalnoise View Post

repair #1: replaced ic
repair #2: replaced pc board assembly
repair #3: replaced pc board assembly, replaced ic.

invoice #2 parts says "hdmi dsp pcb"
looking at the invoice for #3 (most recent i just got back), it has 2 lines for the parts they used. one line says "hdmi dsp pcb" and line 2 says "i.c. micon txsr606"

It looks like you have a bad HDMI board as I suspected. I'd ask Onkyo to replace it with a new unit, maybe they will even bump you to a 608.
post #2254 of 2595 Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM

607 and patriot box office...

So when I stream 1080 formats from PC to PS3 or run blu-ray from PS3 directly, I have multi-channel display which i believe is the lossless setting.

When I do the same file via box office directly to 607, via HDMI, using HDMI raw setting, Multi Channel is not an option, only the others like Direct and DTS etc.

Am I getting lossless sound using DTS setting or is there a way to get Multi Channel going via Box Office? TIA
post #2255 of 2595 Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 AM

I got my 607 about a year ago, and have never had any problems up until now, but over the last few days, whenever I switch inputs the hdmi out signal to my tv drops, and the tv just says "no signal", but the sound from my speakers works just fine. after switching back and forth between inputs for a while eventually the signal gets through and works ok until I switch inputs again. But today, I just cant get any signal at all.

I tried plugging in my ps3 directly to my tv's hdmi port and that worked fine as well, so im thinking it must be the signal out from the receiver. I tried changing the hdmi out cable to my tv also and still no signal.

I am dreading sending it back to onkyo because shipping for a heavy receiver would suck, but I dont think I have much of a choice. Does anyone have any experience dealing with onkyo or have any suggestions how I can proceed?

Thanks
post #2256 of 2595 Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekmotorwurkz View Post

I got my 607 about a year ago, and have never had any problems up until now, but over the last few days, whenever I switch inputs the hdmi out signal to my tv drops, and the tv just says "no signal", but the sound from my speakers works just fine. after switching back and forth between inputs for a while eventually the signal gets through and works ok until I switch inputs again. But today, I just cant get any signal at all.

I would try unplugging it for a day or so and also a Master Reset. You might also try it with minimal items attached.

Whether that works or you have to get it repaired, I would suggest that you get a amp-top fan for it. I think heat might be what causes HDMI boards to fail. I think most larger x08 units now have internal fans (finally).

post #2257 of 2595 Old 11-06-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm pleased with the Audyssey settings on my new Onkyo 607 but I'd like to raise the Intellivolume level, as long as it won't adversely affect the quality of the sound or the Audyssey settings. Would that be alright?
post #2258 of 2595 Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post
I'm pleased with the Audyssey settings on my new Onkyo 607 but I'd like to raise the Intellivolume level, as long as it won't adversely affect the quality of the sound or the Audyssey settings. Would that be alright?
Yeah you are fine doing that. It will only raise the overall volume for a given input and doesn't effect any other settings.

It basically allows you to calibrate all of your inputs to be the same level so you don't have any adverse jumps in level when switching between inputs.
post #2259 of 2595 Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekmotorwurkz View Post

I am dreading sending it back to onkyo because shipping for a heavy receiver would suck, but I dont think I have much of a choice. Does anyone have any experience dealing with onkyo or have any suggestions how I can proceed?

Thanks

You can drop it off at a local onkyo service center. I called an complained until they sent me a shipping label.
post #2260 of 2595 Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Can the SR607 work with 3D or you necesarily need a SR608?
post #2261 of 2595 Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Gonna put a fan on my new Onkyo 607. Should I have it blowing cool air in or sucking hot air out? Thanks.
post #2262 of 2595 Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 AM

My setup I have an oak hutch with glass doors. I installed 2 large super quiet pc fans in the upper rear corner blowing the hot air out and it works very well except that the dust gets sucked in from the front. I was thinking of switching them to blow in and put a filter on them instead. I power them from the USB port on my uverse box with a homemade cable and a potentiometer.

Here is what is in my cabinet:

Onkyo 607
Panamax Power conditioner
Uverse DVR (motorola)
Lenovo q700 media center pc
Gigabit switch
Wii
Wii remote charger
Samsung bd-p1590c
post #2263 of 2595 Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 PM

hey, I have the 607 plus Mitsubishi C9 plus ps3.

Crazy problem: sound from PS3 is fantastic. However, when we watch TV there is too much bass, very boomy sounds. Each time I have to grab the Harmony go to audio and do -10 on Bass level.

Is there any other way to do it?
post #2264 of 2595 Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post

Gonna put a fan on my new Onkyo 607. Should I have it blowing cool air in or sucking hot air out? Thanks.

Pull hot air out through the top. Cooler air will come in through the bottom to replace it. Hot air rises, right?

post #2265 of 2595 Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 AM

Hi,

I kinda skimmed through a couple of pages of this thread and saw a lot of problems?!

I am wondering if you guys still think it is worth it to buy this receiver to get upconversion/scaling and OSD? Right now street price is low. I can find a cheap one but i don't know if it will be a good investment?

Or do you guys think Pioneer 1019/Harman Kardon 254 is a safer bet?
post #2266 of 2595 Old 11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexium View Post

Hi,

I kinda skimmed through a couple of pages of this thread and saw a lot of problems?!

I am wondering if you guys still think it is worth it to buy this receiver to get upconversion/scaling and OSD? Right now street price is low. I can find a cheap one but i don't know if it will be a good investment?

Or do you guys think Pioneer 1019/Harman Kardon 254 is a safer bet?

I think if you put a fan on it, you will side-step a lot of problems and it will last longer. I love mine. Not sure what kind of problems you were refering to.

I don't use any Onkyo up-scaling. I let the Blu-Ray player do it (for DVDs). My DVR outputs 720p. The 1080p plasma does the rest. Do you still have low-rez components?

Not sure why you want a 607 now (it's a year old). The 608 is only $350 and has a feature set closer to the old 707.

I had a Pioneer 1019 for a couple of weeks but I took it back and exchanged it for my 607. A major HiFi mag did a compare review of them. I did a short post on a thread here at AVS comparing the two also. The Pioneer also runs very hot.

post #2267 of 2595 Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 PM

I was talking about mainly HDMI board dying and heat issue. But from what you said it sounds like pioneer has its share of heat problems as well?

I do have a lot of low resoluton sources, dvd, vhs, etc. well my budget is about $200-250 that's why i am looking at used 607.

I want upconversion (to have less cables)and OSD for easy setup but i don't need 3d stuff.

I think onkyo 607, pioneer 1019 and harman kardon 254 are 3 cheapest options out there. if you know of other cheaper option, i would gladly take them.
post #2268 of 2595 Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexium View Post

I was talking about mainly HDMI board dying and heat issue. But from what you said it sounds like pioneer has its share of heat problems as well?

I do have a lot of low resoluton sources, dvd, vhs, etc. well my budget is about $200-250 that's why i am looking at used 607.

I want upconversion (to have less cables)and OSD for easy setup but i don't need 3d stuff.

I think onkyo 607, pioneer 1019 and harman kardon 254 are 3 cheapest options out there. if you know of other cheaper option, i would gladly take them.

The HDMI board failure hasn't been much of an issue with the 607, that was mostly the 606. I had a 606 and most people had that issue with it. Here, only a handful have. I think the 607 is pretty solid and if you can get a good deal on it I would go for it. Get the 608 if it only costs you a bit more though.
post #2269 of 2595 Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm pretty sure this problem only occurs on particular cable stations, but every once in a while the audio cuts out for a little less than a second and then comes right back. I don't believe this problem ever happens when I play video games such as MW2 on Xbox 360, and I don't recall the audio cutting out during movies. I feel as though it's random and only happens on a specific station once in a while. Does anyone know if there's a quick solution to this? I've had my receiver since August and everything has been fine. Any help is appreciated.
post #2270 of 2595 Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
I'm pretty sure this problem only occurs on particular cable stations, but every once in a while the audio cuts out for a little less than a second and then comes right back. I don't believe this problem ever happens when I play video games such as MW2 on Xbox 360, and I don't recall the audio cutting out during movies. I feel as though it's random and only happens on a specific station once in a while. Does anyone know if there's a quick solution to this? I've had my receiver since August and everything has been fine. Any help is appreciated.
I have seen this a while back with my HDMI connected cable DVR. Turned out is was a weak signal from the cable company and they fixed the wiring at the pedestal. On most DVRs, you can switch to diags menu to see signal strength.

post #2271 of 2595 Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I have seen this a while back with my HDMI connected cable DVR. Turned out is was a weak signal from the cable company and they fixed the wiring at the pedestal. On most DVRs, you can switch to diags menu to see signal strength.

Great, thanks for the response! I can deal with it as long as I know it's not something wrong with my receiver. I'm using the Verizon Fios dvr so it could be that. Mine is also connected by HDMI. I'll check the signal later. Thanks again.
post #2272 of 2595 Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

My Motorola DVR also does that on my RC-160 and I'm on RCN Cable.

I don't ever have any drop outs on Xbox or Blu-ray. They are brief, maybe a second long, and I always figured it was and HDMI issue coming from the DVR.
post #2273 of 2595 Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

I've added a projector to my display devices used with my onkyo SR-607. So now I have a tv and projector. Problem is the 607 only has 1 hdmi out. Is there some type of splitter or switching box that can route the 607 output to either device when needed? All source components route through the 607. I only watch 1 display at a time- either the LCD for tv, or the projector for movies. Thanks for the help.
post #2274 of 2595 Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawyer View Post

I've added a projector to my display devices used with my onkyo SR-607. So now I have a tv and projector. Problem is the 607 only has 1 hdmi out. Is there some type of splitter or switching box that can route the 607 output to either device when needed? All source components route through the 607. I only watch 1 display at a time- either the LCD for tv, or the projector for movies. Thanks for the help.

There is a site I use called Firefold.com and they have just what you are looking for. 1 in 2 output. Good luck. JT

My meager set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2275 of 2595 Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 PM

hey there folks, I have a 607 that I'm having some HTPC issues with. I've had this setup running well and recently some windows updates have rocked the boat. I uninstalled those updates in an attempt to roll back to a stable setup but I'm still having audio issues.

I use software called XBMC to play movies and have never been able to get it to output audio over HDMI so I am running video over HDMI and audio over SPDIF.

Right now I'm not getting any audio from XBMC and to get any audio from anything else (like youtube) I have to switch inputs on my 607 to something else like my DISH box (HDMI) and then back to the HTPC. After a switch like that the 607 starts playing the audio from the computer but again will not play it from XBMC.

Seems like the reciever is getting hung up somehow and not recognizing the audio that's coming via SPDIF.

Any thoughts? Questions? More info needed?
post #2276 of 2595 Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Has anyone experienced the dead front display issue with the 607? I know it was common in the SRx05 series. I have a TX-SR07 and am experiencing the same issue. It started two months ago. I am sure it's not a dimming issue. The display is entirely dead. As far as I can tell, the rest of the receiver is functional. I get sound and video. I tried following the tutorial for replacing the resistors (TX-SR805) but the layout is totally different and I can't even venture to guess what the equivalent locations are

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace!
Sygyzy
post #2277 of 2595 Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

A couple of issues have popped up for me with SR607. For what ever reason my on screen setup menu no longer displays even though I am outputting to my TV (PDP5080 HD) via HDMI. Whats up with that? Its worked in the past but now it doesn't. Secondly, for whatever reason I cant map out the proper assignment for my Wii which is connected to component input 2 and audio via game l/r audio. I assigned component 2 to game in the set up menu and and even tried just selecting '----'. I get audio A-Ok but no video. This unit is about 8 months old. Im thinking that I will have to try the master reset when I get home tonite, thats not a bad thing right? there wont be any long term damage form resetting? In the meantime If anybody has any other ideas before I get home tonite please feel free to throw them out there!

Thanks!

Tony
post #2278 of 2595 Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Hello,

I'm really confused about all of the listening modes for this receiver. I have a LG BD530 Bluray player and don't know what listening mode I should be using when watching blurays. I have a 5.1 setup and have all my devices connected via hdmi. What listening mode is preferred with this setup? I have it set to Direct now, and there is a red dts image on my receiver. Am I supposed to make any changes to the settings for the actual bluray player or the receiver? I just want to get the best sound and make sure I'm not missing out on anything. Thanks in advance for the help.
post #2279 of 2595 Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

Hello,

I'm really confused about all of the listening modes for this receiver. I have a LG BD530 Bluray player and don't know what listening mode I should be using when watching blurays. I have a 5.1 setup and have all my devices connected via hdmi. What listening mode is preferred with this setup? I have it set to Direct now, and there is a red dts image on my receiver. Am I supposed to make any changes to the settings for the actual bluray player or the receiver? I just want to get the best sound and make sure I'm not missing out on anything. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi kyle6286, the receiver should auto detect the incoming codec so just choose what sound best to your ears.

But set the BD player to Bitstream (Audiophile) when playing a BD disc.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.
post #2280 of 2595 Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks a lot for the help! I appreciate it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page