post #2581 of 2596 Old 01-09-2014, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshima View Post

hello,

do anyone knows if the "invalid format" message on the TV is related to any hardware fault of the hdmi board, or its just bad config from tv or receiver?

Hi there,

the receiver arrived this monday. the first thing i've done was to reset to defaults.
then everything was working fine. OSD and switching was fast right on power on.

the only thing was the TV only showing static image (like the old TV tuner). i was thinking it was maybe a fault on the receiver, but after thinking a litle i remenber to reset the TV to factory settings. then it started working like a charm.

so the fault, was on the config of the upscaling or something like that. the ebay seller wasn't able to figure it out.

BTW with my laptop connected by HDMI, i'm able to play DDTrue HD and DTS MA using the lav codec bitstreaming and MPC and the intel audio from the graphic card.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2596 Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshima View Post

Hi there,

the receiver arrived this monday. the first thing i've done was to reset to defaults.
then everything was working fine. OSD and switching was fast right on power on.

the only thing was the TV only showing static image (like the old TV tuner). i was thinking it was maybe a fault on the receiver, but after thinking a litle i remenber to reset the TV to factory settings. then it started working like a charm.

so the fault, was on the config of the upscaling or something like that. the ebay seller wasn't able to figure it out.

BTW with my laptop connected by HDMI, i'm able to play DDTrue HD and DTS MA using the lav codec bitstreaming and MPC and the intel audio from the graphic card.

Nice and good troubleshooting. So, what was total cost shipped to your door?

Try Windows XBMC if you want. Over HDMI, newer version now support HD-Audio.

So we know AMD CPU handles HDMI video AND audio, but Intel IGP relies on whatever on-board Audio chip (best I can tell) ... kinda lame but it works.

post #2583 of 2596 Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Nice and good troubleshooting. So, what was total cost shipped to your door?

Try Windows XBMC if you want. Over HDMI, newer version now support HD-Audio.

So we know AMD CPU handles HDMI video AND audio, but Intel IGP relies on whatever on-board Audio chip (best I can tell) ... kinda lame but it works.

i'm from portugal, and it came from germany. so total cost was 106€ for a receiver good as new.

xbmc is a good media center, but i don't mind using MPC.

i think intel audio over HDMI is done by the CPU integrated graphics card, at least on my i3 CPU.

i say this because on the sound devices i have intel audio and the on-board audio. anyway it is bitstreaming the audio to the receiver like a breeze :D

i've read in some post about refurbished receivers, that in some cases the receiver wasn't working as it should because of bad config and the owners not giving a try to read the manual to understand what is wrong.

i think this was one of this cases. just had to reset everything to defaults ehehehehehe

post #2584 of 2596 Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM

I originally posted this on the HDMI daughterboard thread, but then found this thread, specific to the SR607.  I have downloaded the service manual and am glad to have it.

I pulled my paperwork from the Onkyo service center repair 11/2011.  Appears they had replaced C8091 CAP, and added C8069 VSM CAP, per S/B# 10011401.

MY ORIGINAL POST

I also have had the HDMI issues, but with my Onkyo SR607. Onkyo repaired it a couple years back under warranty, and it's HDMI function has again diminished to the point that it was prior to the repair at the Onkyo repair center. I just ordered 10 caps and will try the repair myself as well.

United Chemi-Con from Digi-Key

Part #565-3047-ND

Capacitance 100µF
Voltage Rating 10V
Tolerance ±20%
ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) 25 mOhm
Lifetime @ Temp. 2000 Hrs @ 105°C
Operating Temperature -55°C ~ 105°C
Type Polymer

AVS member sk1593 wrote "The location of the capacitors on the circuit board was a little different as all 5 were on the bottom. I just replaced all the 100uF capacitors on the board."

If there is any additional unique information regarding the SR607 specific repair, that differs from the wealth of SR606 info here, I would greatly appreciate the guidance.

Thanks,

Jim

post #2585 of 2596 Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. I had a decent 5.1 setup going a while back, but we've since moved and I haven't been able to set up my surround speakers yet. Right now, I'm working with my Onkyo tx-sr607 receiver, a BIC f12 sub, and my energy take classic speakers (only using the center and two front speakers at the moment).

My settings are currently the same as they were when I had my whole system connected: front 80hz, center 80hz, and lpf of lfe 120hz. I have my sub set at its highest CO, 180hz. I recently went into the speaker settings and removed the surround speakers since I'm not using them anymore.

My question is, do I need to do anything else? Like I said, I originally had run audyssey at our last house, which is how I came up with these settings (in addition to help from users here at avsforum. Is it recommended to run audyssey again now that we've moved and no longer use the two surround speakers?

Also, I was looking at the manual for the receiver, and when you go to 2.1 speaker settings, the manual shows speaker impedance, speaker type, and powered zone 2. When I clicked on the settings, I'm not seeing a speaker impedance option, just the speaker type and powered zone 2. Is there a reason for this?

Sorry for the noob questions. I really haven't looked at this stuff in a few years and I forgot any little information I may have learned.

Help is appreciated.
post #2586 of 2596 Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

My question is, do I need to do anything else? Like I said, I originally had run audyssey at our last house, which is how I came up with these settings (in addition to help from users here at avsforum. Is it recommended to run audyssey again now that we've moved and no longer use the two surround speakers?

Hi kyle6286, yes rerun Audyssey again.
Quote:
Also, I was looking at the manual for the receiver, and when you go to 2.1 speaker settings, the manual shows speaker impedance, speaker type, and powered zone 2. When I clicked on the settings, I'm not seeing a speaker impedance option, just the speaker type and powered zone 2. Is there a reason for this?

Speaker Impedance option is not available for North American and Taiwan models.
post #2587 of 2596 Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. I had a decent 5.1 setup going a while back, but we've since moved and I haven't been able to set up my surround speakers yet. Right now, I'm working with my Onkyo tx-sr607 receiver, a BIC f12 sub, and my energy take classic speakers (only using the center and two front speakers at the moment).

My settings are currently the same as they were when I had my whole system connected: front 80hz, center 80hz, and lpf of lfe 120hz. I have my sub set at its highest CO, 180hz. I recently went into the speaker settings and removed the surround speakers since I'm not using them anymore.

Sorry for the noob questions. I really haven't looked at this stuff in a few years and I forgot any little information I may have learned.

Help is appreciated.

I've never tried it, but I think Audyssey will just error out and not complete if actual speaker config doesn't match what you tell it is connected. I also don't think 3.1 is a valid config.

Personally, I think I would config for 5.1 and connect the 2 surrounds ... even if they are small and have to be placed near the 2 Fronts. Audyssey will complete and you should hear content from all 5.1 channels. On your Blu-Ray player, you might also have to tell it you only have 5.1 so it will down-mix from 7.1 .

post #2588 of 2596 Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanks JChin and Tesla. I appreciate the help.
post #2589 of 2596 Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I just hooked up my Powered Zone-2 speakers to my Onkyo 607 for patio/deck area. I installed some Dayton Audios with a Speco 100w/ch volume control (with full-Off, so I don’t blast-out the neighbors unintentionally). The FM-Tuner works (independently on Zone-2) and I still have 5.1 in the Home Theater when it’s on. Now I get to re-install all the analog-stereo RCA cables that I removed when I went all-HDMI.

I understand the analog limitations, but just couldn't believe I had to give-up 7.1 in main room, even when Zone-2 was switched off. Well, here is the fix ...

On the Onkyo 607 (and possibly on similar models) the option is Opposite from the logical choice.

Connect Zone-2 Speakers (for Patio) to "Front High/ Zone 2 Speakers" terminals (separate set of Push-Tab Terminals)

Speaker Settings

- Speaker Type: Normal

- Powered Zone 2: Act (Active)

- Surr Back/Front High: Surr Back

Note 1: Leave your Surround-BACK speaker(s) connected in normal spot

Note 2: Notice that you will be able to program things like Levels and Distance for Surround-Back speaker(s)

When Zone-2 is Off, you will have full 7.1 sound

When Zone-2 is turned on with simple button, sound in main room will drop back to 5.1

Hope this helps someone one day.

post #2590 of 2596 Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
I don't know if something is wrong with my receiver, but when I'm watching dolby digital 5.1 cable stations that play music (PBS, HIFI) the sound is only coming from the two mains, plus a little surround involvement but not the center channel. If it is a music documentary on HIFI TV Channel the dialogue from the host will come through the center but if it switches to concert footage it only uses the front mains and surrounds again.

Is this the cable provider doing this or is something messed up with my Onkyo.

Thanks in advance, Roger
post #2591 of 2596 Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post

I don't know if something is wrong with my receiver, but when I'm watching dolby digital 5.1 cable stations that play music (PBS, HIFI) the sound is only coming from the two mains, plus a little surround involvement but not the center channel. If it is a music documentary on HIFI TV Channel the dialogue from the host will come through the center but if it switches to concert footage it only uses the front mains and surrounds again.

Is this the cable provider doing this or is something messed up with my Onkyo.

Thanks in advance, Roger

This is likely normal.

I think sound-format can change from 5.1 to something else mid-program, so watch the Onkyo display indicators.

If the original program source was only 2-channel, they might mix that to only Front L/R and leave the other channels or 5.1 empty.

And while I don't subscribe to the idea, some think that music should always be presented in 2.0 or 2.1 to be accurate. IMHO, in a home theater 5.1 or 7.1 setup ... that ends up sounding sounds empty. When listening to true AC3/DD5.1/DTS you can't simulate missing channels. You have to switch to a PLII-Z or surround  matrix-ing mode, but I find it's often not worth it (sounds worse or muddy).

post #2592 of 2596 Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
I will watch the display indicators next time, thanks for the tip. I don't like the mid-program switching, I find it odd to be listening, then the sound switches to different speakers.

When I get home I will try a DTS DVD concert video just to make sure its not acting up.
post #2593 of 2596 Old 05-23-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi everyone, I've had this receiver for quite some time now and recently when I power on the receiver, it is VERY slow to display anything via HDMI.

I power it on, and I get a black screen for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. Eventually it comes on and everything is fine, but the initial delay is killing me. It seems it only does it when it's been of for some time(ie. cold).

I know Onkyo is prone to HDMI issues but just wondering if others have seen this and have a solution, like say a hard reset or something like that.

Thanks.
post #2594 of 2596 Old 05-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Hi everyone, I've had this receiver for quite some time now and recently when I power on the receiver, it is VERY slow to display anything via HDMI.

I power it on, and I get a black screen for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. Eventually it comes on and everything is fine, but the initial delay is killing me. It seems it only does it when it's been of for some time(ie. cold).

I know Onkyo is prone to HDMI issues but just wondering if others have seen this and have a solution, like say a hard reset or something like that.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this sounds like it could be an issue with the HDMI board, most of the weird issues in this thread end up being traced back to that. Hows your On Screen Display feature working? I inherited this receiver from my dad when he moved, as my prior receiver didnt have HDMI I wanted to play around with the new hi-res audio formats. I found to have similar issues when powering on after a few days, that one of the lights on the display would flash for about one minute before finally displaying an image or sound. I also have lost my OSD.

I honestly just leave the receiver on now 24x7 and turn the volume down when i power off everything. Not the greenest solution but gets the job done.
post #2595 of 2596 Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Liked: 0
I just picked up one of these cheap but not working, hoping to repair it myself. Have read all about the capacitor replacement on the HDMI board, but from what I can see the capacitors on this board look fine. The problem with my unit is that it will turn on, show the volume on the OSD for about 3 seconds, and then click off with the standby flashing. The 6901 and 6902 fuses appear to be fine. If I remove these and start the unit, it does not click off, but the only thing that works is the OSD which I would assume is expected.

Anyone had a similar issue and been able to fix it?
post #2596 of 2596 Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky21 View Post
I just picked up one of these cheap but not working, hoping to repair it myself. Have read all about the capacitor replacement on the HDMI board, but from what I can see the capacitors on this board look fine. The problem with my unit is that it will turn on, show the volume on the OSD for about 3 seconds, and then click off with the standby flashing. The 6901 and 6902 fuses appear to be fine. If I remove these and start the unit, it does not click off, but the only thing that works is the OSD which I would assume is expected.

Anyone had a similar issue and been able to fix it?
i think that you have a short transistor on the power amp.
you sould try figure out wich ones are short and replace them. never done that, but on youtube you can see several repair guides for other onkyo models, i they might be very similar.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr607 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page